z

Young Writers Society

First day at school

Random avatar

Reviews: 22
Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:40 pm
Fatima says...

A little girl stood in the enormous playground and looked at the school with utter amazement. Not only was she dazzled by the sheer size of the school, but the variety and abundance of students astonished her. Excitement knew no bounds but she was anxious too. She felt as if she could never belong to such a gigantic place, amongst so many people.
She felt a hand on my shoulder. Surprised, she slowly turned around and found herself starring into the kind light brown eyes of a lady, who she assumed to be a teacher.
”Come inside, dear”, the lady said. At the mere age of four and not being familiar with English, the little girl didn’t comprehend what was being said to her, but the lady’s pleasant smiles warmed her to the core and found herself following the lady to a classroom.
Finding a seat, she took her sweet time observing her new surrounding. A spacious classroom with whiteboards, markers, dusters, cabinets and many many desks. School has so far, not disappointed her little innocent soul. She now decided to analyze the lady in front. She had auburn hair, and the little girl was mesmerized by her light brown eyes, which she kept starring at. Her teacher was fair, as fair as the milk she had drunk for breakfast. With studying eyes, she imprinted the picture of this lady in her mind. She was however, struggling to come up with what to call her. So absorbed was she in her keen observations, that she forgot to listen what was being told in the class.
The bell rang, buzzing her back to focus. She had never heard anything so loud. She knew there were bells in school, she had learnt that from baby Looney Toons, but was it supposed to be that loud? She was almost scared, but since the nice lady seemed unaffected by the thunderous noise and was still smiling, she decided there was nothing to be afraid of. She was trying to concentrate on what the lady was saying, but the sights of her new ambience were overwhelming. All she managed to figure out was ‘Olivia”, and decided that must be her name.
Miss Olivia handed out worksheets with letters and numbers on them. “A, B, C, 1, 2, 3” , the little girl thought, “easy”. She finished her work and with no other mode of communication, she raised her hand to indicate she was done. Miss Olivia hurried to her desk and the little girl handed her paper in. With a smile, Miss Olivia began examining her paper, and the little girl looked attentively at her teacher’s face. It showed no anger, no remorse, just pure happiness, and maybe she was one of the reasons, the little girl thought proudly.
With each passing second, the end of school day was coming near, and sooner than later, the inevitable last ring of the bell echoed throughout the school. With memories of an amazing day, she hummed a song as she ran to hug her mother.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:47 pm
View Likes
brittistenten says...

It was a really good story, the ending kinda confused me a bit. You need to watch your gammar just a bit, and also make sure to describe the little girl. Also give them names instead of saying the little girl over and over again. In all it was a really good story, dont stop keep up the good work!

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:55 am
View Likes
Priceless says...

Hey there!
I liked this :) Apart from a few nitpicks (coming up), I liked the idea. The main character seemed like a foreigner, so the whole-new-world thing from a kid's perspective was very interesting. Just have a few corrections:

A little girl stood in the enormous playground and looked at the school with in utter amazement.

'In utter amazement' is kind of a telling sentence. Show us that she was amazed by her gaping or widening her eyes or something.
Not only was she dazzled by the sheer size of the school, but the variety and abundance of students astonished her.

Telling again. Also, since this seems like a kid, I think you should use simpler language to show us what she's thinking. Maybe:

It was so big. And there so many different people! There was a black girl, and a Chinese boy..
Sucky, but you get what I mean.

She felt a hand on my her shoulder.

Surprised, she slowly turned around and found herself starring staring into the kind light brown eyes of a lady, who she assumed to be a teacher.

warmed her to the core and she found herself following the lady to a classroom.

Finding a seat, she took her sweet time observing her new surroundings

School has had so far, not disappointed her little innocent soul.

I would have liked more of the character's opinion on her classmates, maybe she made a few friends? Cause it made it sound like it was just Miss Olivia and the girl in the classroom. o.O And, maybe it's just me but I would have liked it more if she had been dreading going home because she didn't have a nice family. o.O Maybe I'm just messed up like that...

Anyway, nice job!! :)
We're all a little weird. And life's a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.

Random avatar

Reviews: 131
Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:31 pm
DukeofWonderland says...

Fatima wrote:A The I guess'd work betterlittle girl stood in the enormous playground and looked at the school with utter amazement. Not only was she dazzled by the sheer size of the school,by it's sheer size is good too, coz Fati u just said the school in this same sentence but the variety and abundance you sound like ur talking about fruits for some reason, or maybe I'm hungry.of students astonished her. her excitement, right?Excitement knew no bounds but she was anxious too. She felt as if she could never belong to such a gigantic place, amongst so many people.
She felt a hand on my her shoulder, ma.shoulder. Surprised, she slowly turned around and found herself starring spelling error, staring.into the kind light brown eyes of a lady, who she assumed to be a teacher. seemed to be a teacher bodhoy lekhte gesila
”Come inside, dear”, the lady said. At the mere age of four and not being familiar with English, the little girl didn’t comprehend what was being said to her, but the lady’s pleasant smiles warmed her to the core and found herself following the lady to a classroom. This one sentence is not just long, but tomar vocab ma beshi hoye jay, makes it formal. Classe u sounded like a child edit korso na?
Finding a seat, she took her sweet timeupor theke ato vocab schilo je, sweet time is out of place akhane. observing her new surrounding. A spacious classroom with whiteboards, markers, dusters, cabinets and many manymany double likhe felso desks. School has so far, not disappointed her little innocent soul.adjective beshi lage na? She now decided to analyze the lady in front. She had auburn hair, and the little girl was mesmerized by her light brown eyes, which she kept starring at. Her teacher was fair, as fair as the milk she had drunk for breakfast.amar ata mone ase :D With studying eyes, she imprinted the picture of this lady in her mind. She was however, struggling to come up with what to call her. So absorbed was she in her keen observations, that she forgot to listen what was being told in the class.
The bell rang, buzzing her back to focus. She had never heard anything so loud. She knew there were bells in school, she had learnt that from baby Looney Toons,:mrgreen: but was it supposed to be that loud? She was almost scared, but since the nice lady seemed unaffected by the thunderous noise and was still smiling, she decided there was nothing to be afraid of. akhane abar tumi bachcha hoye gesoShe was trying to concentrate on what the lady was saying, but the sights of her new ambience were overwhelming. All she managed to figure out was ‘Olivia”, and decided that must be her name.
Miss Olivia handed out worksheets with letters and numbers on them. “A, B, C, 1, 2, 3” , the little girl thought, “easy”. She finished her work and with no other mode of communication, atao like abar boro manushshe raised her hand to indicate she was done. Miss Olivia hurried to her desk and the little girl handed her paper in. With a smile, Miss Olivia began examining her paper, and the little girl looked attentively at her teacher’s face. It showed no anger, no remorse, just pure happiness, and maybe she was one of the reasons, the little girl thought proudly.
With each passing second, the end of school day was coming near, and sooner than later, the inevitable last ring of the bell echoed throughout the school. With memories of an amazing day, she hummed a song as she ran to hug her mother.

I like the end, tumi description beshi dao, and tomar style alter kore.
"The duke had a mind that ticked like a clock and, like a clock, it
regularly went cuckoo."
-- Terry Pratchett, "Wyrd Sisters"

Random avatar

Reviews: 131
Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:33 pm
DukeofWonderland says...

Hope that helps. :)
"The duke had a mind that ticked like a clock and, like a clock, it
regularly went cuckoo."
-- Terry Pratchett, "Wyrd Sisters"

249 Reviews

Reviews: 249
Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:11 pm
murtuza says...

Ah, reminds me of my first day when I moved to my new school way back when I was in 5th standard. The fears, hopes, joys, expectancies and all just take you in all at once. Sounds like this girl did really well on her first day! A well written piece , this. Keep the ink flowing! :D
It's not about the weight of what's spoken.
It's about being heard.

The best books... are those that tell you what you know already.
— George Orwell, 1984