z

Young Writers Society

letting go

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:24 am
thewritingdoc says...

“God wants to talk to you.”
She heard the sweet voice in her mind just as she was about to drift off to dreamland.
It was neither angry nor patronizing – the emotions she had grown accustomed to. So naturally, she blindly followed the echo.
At first, it led her to a tunnel. In front of the tunnel, blocking the path, lay a tiny stream. She halted here and trembled vicariously for a moment. For the girl could not see what lie beyond the stone walls and she worried that she would lose her soul before she saw some light again. It was at that moment that she heard a word she had forgotten.

“Trust.”

And so the girl leaped over the stream and found herself drowned in darkness. “Perhaps the stream was grander than I thought,” the girl whispered. But in the tunnel, there was no one to hear.

Many years she wandered alone but she was never lost. After all, not all those who wander are.

And then one day, there came a fork in the road. She couldn’t see it but then again, it is not the kind of thing that can be seen. The girl had a choice to make.
She knew that there were two options. One of the unseen paths led to light and true bliss while the other led to hardship, heartache and bleakness.
The first was a world she had never known but often dreamed of – where love emanated around her and she was a good person with people who loved her. The second was a world in which happiness could only come after great suffering and trial – a world very much like the one she had known for so long.
Suddenly, the girl became very confused. She would have stayed in that place between worlds forever if a single word hadn’t escaped her lips:

Love.

At first, she merely whispered it, recalling the way it felt and resonated on her lips. The word terrified her, yet thrilled her all at once. She began to experiment with the word, speaking it in different tones. Until finally, the girl found herself bursting with the force of the emotion, a flame lit.

“LOVE!”

She set her heart free.

There was flash and suddenly there he was; the one who had abandoned her. And she sat in a room of the greatest calming yellow light she had ever laid eyes on, on the most comfortable and beautiful bed ever crafted.
“You’re smiling,” he said to her.
“I’m happy,” she replied and looked down at herself. “I was in that tunnel a long time.”
“Do you ever miss me?” He asked her with a sure calmness in his voice.
She laughs a little and replies, “Everyday.” After a pause, she continues, “But while I was wandering, I found myself. I stopped living for you and started living for me.”
“Is that so?” He grinned and his blue eyes sparkled. But something was different – the piercing gaze did not hold the same power over the girl as it once did.
Realizing his old tricks were of no use, his expression changed. “So what path did you take?”
She closed her eyes for a second and finally released a long awaited sigh of relief. He began to get impatient and finally the girl spoke. “Don’t you see? There is no choice. Both paths are the same. There is no light without darkness. No love without pain. No joy without sorrow.”
“But you could have had anything you wanted in a perfect world. We could have been together forever.”
The girl laughed again. “Life isn’t meant to be perfect. And what you and I shared was wonderful and I will certainly never forget it, but it can never exist again – not even in an imaginary world.” She took her hand and touched his face. The same face that had turned away from her years ago looked a little sad now.
“You taught me how to love but what I really needed to learn was how to love myself. And I do now. Thank you.”
With that, she kissed his face, stared into his blue eyes for the very last time and woke up to find herself smiling into her pillow.
    I'd rather write about this world than live in it
    and I'd rather play music all day
    and read and wander around bookstores
    and watch humans
    but not be one of them.

68 Reviews

Reviews: 68
Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:30 am
live1out2loud7 says...

When I started out reading this, I have to admit, I didn't really like it, but it was truly amazing. I don't have any negative comments for it! I love how it is written about a dream experience but teaches the main character a lesson at the same time. This is truly an amazing writing!
Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now. So does avoiding homework and creeping around YWS!

Want a poem reviewed?
viewtopic.php?f=188&t=96651

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:36 am
MariaRowlands says...

That is very interesting. I love the part where she calls out "LOVE" as if it were the most normal thing in the world. I believe that you can go far in the writing buiz if you want to try a bit harder to make your stories sound more realistic. Things like god, don't belong in stories, they belong in the bible. Continue writing, you have a natural talent for it!
May The Blood of my Enemies Flow Like Rivers to the Sea

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:45 am
View Likes
thewritingdoc says...

That is very interesting. I love the part where she calls out "LOVE" as if it were the most normal thing in the world. I believe that you can go far in the writing buiz if you want to try a bit harder to make your stories sound more realistic. Things like god, don't belong in stories, they belong in the bible. Continue writing, you have a natural talent for it!

I must say, I don't agree at all about God not belonging in stories. The entire reason to write is to examine the very nature of humanity - to me, God is a part of that whimsical, flimsy nature. I think my story is 100% realistic. To be honest, it's written straight from the heart, my own personal experiences and whatnot. It may not be the best story ever written, but it is certainly not unrealistic. But thank you for your compliments and opinions :3
    I'd rather write about this world than live in it
    and I'd rather play music all day
    and read and wander around bookstores
    and watch humans
    but not be one of them.

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:45 am
JabberHut says...

Hi, TennisPrincess! 8D

So this is, like. the cutest thing ever. Seriously, it was fantastic! I loved the happy-ending, and the story itself was going in an awesome direction. In fact, it's a moral that I, myself, have struggled to learn. So it was really wonderful to read as a reader. :)

There's not much of the content I'd be suggesting to change because mainly, I'm overly excited to spill some ideas about your style. I think this piece could get so much more goosebumpy if we phrased things just right. Like... hm. For instance! The part where the MC looks at the guy and basically explains the moral she learned (to love herself)? Some foreshadowing of that would be amazing, and then the reader could try and figure it out themselves. I wasn't quite getting where the story was going until I read the MC's deduction, so if there's a way to incorporate that beforehand in a couple places? It would do amazing things.

And then I'd suggest a more eerie tone in the way the narration is phrased. Right now, it sounds a little more bland or story-telly? While it could be more mysterious. After all, God is pretty awesome and mysterious in his own way. I think it would be fun to play with that.

But that's about all I've got to say! It's really a cute blurb, and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed writing it. :)

Keep writing!

Jabber, the One and Only!
I make my own policies.

378 Reviews

Reviews: 378
Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:43 pm
View Likes
Soulkana says...

Hi tennis!! Wanted to pop in and read one of your works and my opinion?? This. was. amazing!!!! Hahah. I love it. Made me want to read more which I hope I will ^^ You have a nice writing style it makes me smile. There's a lesson to learn from this story and it helped me realize it ^^ I'm glad I took the time to read this. Good luck and hope you do well <3
Aydan Soulkana<3
May the gentle moon take you into peaceful dreams. May the mighty sun brighten your new days.

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:45 am
stargazer9927 says...

Well it's been a while since I've reviewed (I'm not going to admit how long) but this seemed worthy.

I loved it! I loved the moral and it was so beautifully written I couldn't stop reading. You truely have talent :)

The only problem I had with it was the ending. Let me tell you what my creative writing teacher told me, "When you make the entire thing a dream it makes the reader feel as if what they just read wasn't real and there was no point to reading it." I totally agree with him. How can you learn anything from something that didn't actually happen? ;) I realize all fiction stories didn't actually happen, but that's your job is to make the reader feel like it actually did even though it didn't.

Whether you take my advice or not it was still an awesome story, and I'm certainly going to have to start reviewing again.
Let's eat mom.
Let's eat, mom.
Good grammar saves lives :D

sometimes i don't consider myself a poet but then i remember that i literally write poetry
— chikara