Young Writers Society

Scarlet Ivory

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:40 pm
View Likes
Niebla says...

Scarlet Ivory

A bittersweet tune filled the room, pouring out a little of her anxiety, and a little of her soul.

Her fingers danced wildly across the ivory keys. She could feel somebody’s short breaths against the back of her neck; hear their whispers winding their way into her ears. She waited, breathless, for the moment that the hand she knew was reaching out towards her would touch her, violate her. She longed more than nothing to move but she was frozen, her head lulling slightly to the side but her eyes darting wildly across the keys, following the fairy dance of her fingers. She had never played so well before.

She had never been so afraid before.

It was funny, how fate swung so easily, a tilted pendulum suspended from a great height. She had woken up with her pulse beating almost as swiftly as it was beating now, with nerves eating away at her stomach, her chest, sending waves of insecurity through her body, tensing her muscles, shortening her breath.

This was how it always was before an exam.

She had asked for one at a late time – she had thought that it would be better to do it in the evening than in the morning, but she later came to regret her choice. It left more time for nervous – no, not nervous, terrified – anticipation, more time for the nerves to eat their way into the marrow of her bones and to make themselves at home. By the time they found themselves walking towards the centre, the sky had become a gradually deepening velvet blue, and her legs were so weak and shaky that she felt she might collapse.

Her mother’s hand found its way on to her tensed shoulder. She started a little, throwing her mother an anxious glance.
“Are you sure you’re alright, Tasha?” her mother asked. “I didn’t realise it was even possible to get an exam time this late. It’s just bad luck that you couldn’t have done it in the morning.

Tasha tried to take a deep breath but it snagged in her throat. She swallowed the saliva suddenly filling her otherwise dry mouth but it quickly began to fill up again. She shook her head, closing her eyes very slightly.

“Oh, Tasha. You always did let nerves get the better of you.”

They entered the centre. It took all the strength Tasha could muster to keep the door wide open and walk in, head held high, eyes half closed because she felt unable to face the stress ahead. One hand found its way into the other, and she anxiously played with her fingernails, trying to dampen her nerves. It would be fine. She would walk into the room, she would play better than she ever had done before, and then she would walk out feeling all the stronger for it. All would be fine.

They stood in front of the counter as the receptionist found their names on a checklist. There was nobody else in the centre. The silence found its way into Tasha’s mind and she tried to push it away frantically. Any sound, any noise would have been welcome. She longed to break the silence but she couldn’t find the right words to say.

Instead, she stared out of the window at the glistening moon and the midnight blue sky. She counted the stars, but soon lost count. Seventeen. That was the number of notice boards carefully arranged around the massive waiting room. Five. That was the number of people inside the waiting room, much too small a number to fill it up. Her mother and father sat side by side on the worn blue chairs, her brother, Tony, furthest away from her. She gave him an apologetic glance and he averted his eyes, dejected. She remembered the way she had snapped at him when she had found out he would be coming and felt another emotion join the anxiety – guilt.

Were all examiners the same? A stately, tall man with silvery-white hair, dressed in a dark suit, came forward into the room, smiling at them all. Tasha stood up but he shook his head.

“It’s not quite time for your exam yet,” he said, and his voice echoed through the room. “I’ve come to ask whether you’d like to practise a little on our piano first.”

“Yes, please,” Tasha said.

The examiner’s glance moved away from Tasha and towards Tony. “Would you like to have a go on a piano too, young lad?”

His eyes lit up. He nodded swiftly, and the examiner smiled. “Very well.”

He led them out through the corridor and Tasha could only throw her parents one last helpless glance. Eventually Tony was shown into one room and she into another. This room was also enormous. When the examiner stepped out of the room and gently pulled the door to, she found herself completely and utterly alone. The piano, so inviting yet equally terrifying, spread out in front of her, a masterpiece of coal black and ivory white keys.

Just play, she thought to herself. Forget that you’re nervous. Forget that you’re here. Just play.
Her hand crept out towards the piano, and gently pressed down the note. It rang out with a sound so loud that she drew back her hand immediately. Then, after sparing a quick glance around the room, she placed both hands on the keys and began to play.

“Miss?”

She placed her fingers on the wrong keys. The sound, off as it was, rang through the room, accompanied by her sharp intake of breath. She started and turned around, finally realising how much time had passed.
There was the examiner, a black clipboard held to his chest, his silvery hair immaculately combed. Not a hair, not a thread was out of place.

“It’s time for your exam,” he informed her, and she felt his oddly questioning gaze sweep over her. She stood up, and found that her knees were once again weak. Butterflies plagued her stomach, and she found each breath harder to draw in.

She tried to breathe deeply, to ease the tightness of her chest. The examiner led her into the exam room, and it was even larger and grander than the first, lit up by the rich yellow light of the chandeleir above them. He ushered her in, and she headed for the grand piano at the end of the room. The first one had been but a pale imitation of this one – yet this one didn’t feel quite so inviting, simply even more intimidating.

Then she remembered how wonderful it felt to lose yourself in the rhythm and melody and she felt a sudden, welcome calm coming over her. She went over to the stool and she smiled gently at the piano. At the other end of the room, she heard the examiner closing the door. And … was that the click of a latch?

She glanced over at him nervously. He was already halfway across the room to his desk. When he saw her looking, he gave her a brief, disconcerting smile. “Is there a problem?” he asked in a genuine tone.

She shook her head, trying to clear her mind. “No. Of course not.”

“Shall we start with the scales, then?”

“Okay.” She swallowed.

“If I could have B flat minor …”

The keys blurred before her eyes. She stretched out her hands to reach for them but they were shaking. When she pressed her fingers to the keys, they seemed to dance away from her. She had no control over them. One wrong note. Two wrong notes … her heart was pounding in her head. She tried to breathe. Just breathe. “I’m sorry,” she whispered. “Could I start again?”

He peered at her over the top of his paperwork. “Go ahead.”

Why did her fingers have to be so non-compliant today of all days? They danced away from her again. She fought the note down but it did not sound. She drew her hand back from the piano as if it was on fire and scalding her, staring at it wildly. She felt as if she was in a dream. The nerves were one thing, but this was another. She didn’t feel right. There was nothing right about this.

The examiner sighed, and she felt a hot, horrible wave of shame weaving its way through her.

“Look, do you need a little help?” the examiner asked. She simply stared.

“Surely … surely you can’t help me – can you?”

“I asked you if you needed help,” he said dryly.

Slowly, cautiously, she nodded.

She didn’t know what she expected. She thought that at any moment she would feel the examiner’s hands on top of hers, teasing them into the appropriate positions, pushing her towards playing the right scales. Nothing felt right. She heard his footsteps approaching and hastily looked down at the keys. She felt his breath on the back of her neck.
He never touched her, not once. Instead, his mouth close to her ear, he leaned down and whispered, “Play.”
That was when her fingers took on a life of their own.

But the sound of the piano was not right, either. It was beautiful but deadly. Grand but dark and sombre. The melody was more wonderful than anything she had ever been able to replicate before, but it was not her own. She was trapped, so trapped, her eyes darting wildly from key to key, her heartbeat fluttering like a trapped butterfly, her vision unclear as a foggy morning.

“Please …” she whispered over the melody. “Please …please stop this.”

It was then that she felt his hands. They started at the lower end of her back and pushed their way upwards, gently caressing her skin until they rested on her shoulders. It was only then that she felt the spell break, and that she sprang away from him as swiftly as prey from an approaching predator. She stood there, breathing fast, looking at him. She felt that if she blinked, he would attack.

He didn’t. Instead he gazed at her with that curious, searching look, his head tilted slightly to the side. And when he spoke, his tone was as rich and deadly as that of the melody she had been playing only moments ago.
“Do you dance, Tasha?”

They stood still, regarding each other, her chest rising and falling frantically, her entire body poised to run. His wasn’t poised to pounce, simply to curiously regard his victim from a suitable distance.

Cats liked to play with their food before eating it.

“No,” she said. “I don’t. Please … please could you let me go? I don’t think I’m ready for this exam.” But she knew that it was of no use. The door was locked and latched. She had heard him lock it. Her words sounded unconvincing even to her own ears, over the pounding beat of her terrified heart, so she knew that they must sound unconvincing to him.

“Yes,” he said.

“Yes what?” she asked warily.

“I can let you go.”

She breathed a sigh of immense relief. The oxygen flowed through her veins and warmed her, revived her. Her vision cleared and she felt immediately stronger and more capable. But what he said next was enough to make her nearly collapse onto the cold, hard, wooden floor, enough to whip every last molecule of her remaining breath away from her.

“You can go – but you will be going alone. Surely you don’t want to go without your family?” He cocked his head at her again, unsmilingly.

She clutched onto the piano and fought for breath. Oh God, please don’t let this be happening. Please. Please. I’m dreaming; this is a nightmare.“Where are my parents?”

“They have gone home.”

Did she believe him? If she did, then it was all okay. Unless …

“Wait,” she asked, frantically. “Where’s Tony?” Where’s Tony – Oh God, where is he?

He took a few moments to speak. Eventually, “Inside the thing you feared the most when you first entered this room.”
It took her a few moments to understand. Then understanding rushed through her. Like the melody, it was bittersweet.
She looked towards the piano, and her eyes were wide with fear. Tony … the last thing she had said to him had been an angry, snide remark. The last look he had given her had been completely and utterly dejected.

Oh, Tony …

Her knees shook. Her breath trembled inside her lungs. Her fingernails reached, groping, for the edges of the lid of the grand piano, and she prised it up, knowing all the while that her hands were stained with blood.

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:03 pm
View Likes
TheClosetKidnapper says...

Wow. First of all, let me say that this is very very good. I loved the twist at the end with the examiner and with Tony. It's a sad ending but it is a GOOD ending. I didn't see much to have to correct. You have vivid descriptions and a great plot. The only thing I could suggest is to make sure the reader knows why Tony had given her the "dejected" look. Other than that, great story! :D
I'm never what I like
I'm double sided
And I just can't hide
I kind of like it
When I make you cry
'Cause I'm twisted up, twisted up
Inside

Semiautomatic
twenty one pilots

504 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 504
Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:27 am
View Likes
Kafkaescence says...

Hi.

So, before I get to critique, I really want to commend you on this. Your descriptions were breathtaking; in a way they remind me of Lovecraft, but from another viewpoint they are entirely singular. This is one of the few pieces on this site with such a strong atmospheric value, such intense imagery; a large percentage of the strength of a piece rests upon the refinedness of the author's style, and refinedness is certainly evident here.

It pains me to proffer you any criticism, because this is so elegant as it is; on the other hand, I want to help you to improve this and there are, undoubtedly, some wrinkles that could do with smoothing out.

Firstly, it seems like this is less like a short story than the beginning of a novel. The ending feels more hanging than it does conclusive; I have no idea why the narrator has blood on her hands, be it figurative or literal, and likewise don't know what happened to the brother. These two coalesce to form a grotesque prognosis of the brother's death, but why, if the former is but a reaction to the latter, does the narrator feel so sure that he is dead? Or does she? The ending, in all honesty, mystifies me.

Then there's that subtle, accumulative element, which, as a rule, one only sees in works of longer wingspans. It's a formula, almost, one which readers have been immersed in time and time again and have come to recognize; it forbodes more to come. You spend so much time delineating to the reader the agitated state of Tasha's mentality, barely touching upon any conflict or resolution to said conflict, that I'm made to think that they will require more time to illuminate. And so they will, if I know anything about pacing.

Enough with that. I think I've inflated that critique large enough.

Everything in here is melodramatized to the bursting point. I can never stand melodrama, and so my awe dulled a bit as I forced it down. I mean, unless their entire world were at stake, no one would really be that terrified at the prospect of a piano exam. Nervous? Sure. But
She had asked for one at a late time – she had thought that it would be better to do it in the evening than in the morning, but she later came to regret her choice. It left more time for nervous – no, not nervous, terrified – anticipation, more time for the nerves to eat their way into the marrow of her bones and to make themselves at home.

? Not so much.

You could justify this - to a certain extent - by stating that she had some anxiety disorder or whatever. And you did say that. But nothing can justify referring to fate as a "tilted pendulum suspended at great heights," and it as the orchestrator of her petty troubles. Especially since you say that this wasn't the first exam she had taken.

Despite these, this was a very strong piece of writing. I want you to remember that.

Hope this helped.

-Kafka
#TNT

WRFF

529 Reviews

Reviews: 529
Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:15 pm
View Likes
xDudettex says...

Hey MorningMist!

This piece was great. You had me on tenterhooks throughout the whole story. The title had already made me come to the conclusion that the piano exam wasn't going to go smoothly, and when her brother went into a seperate room, I found myself pleading with him to come back out.

The tension you had in the piece was great, and the descriptions that went along with it really made the story come to life. It set the scene perfectly in my eyes and I almost felt my heart pounding along with Tasha's.

Seeing as Tasha was convinced that something was going to go wrong, I think you could have played on her terror a little bit more, maybe by making her see the examiner as more creepy than he was. Did he have long bony fingers? What did he smell like when he stood behind her? You don't have to add a lot of detail, as the piece is already bursting with it, but I think if you made him appear stranger than you have him appear to be now, then it would warrant the way Tasha is behaving because at times she does seem to overeact a bit.

I definitely agree with Kafkaescence's point about the ending seeming unresolved. Was her brother actually in the piano, dead? Sometimes cliff-hanger endings can be great, but I only think they really work best when they're used to cut a piece in half, leaving the reader hanging in suspence before they get to read on. That's not to say that it's a bad ending, as it was pretty creepy, just that it didn't quite finish the story completely. I want to know what happened next. Did she get out? Where were her parents? And most of all, why did she have the feeling that something was going to go wrongin the first place?

I did enjoy reading your story. It was great!

I hope this review helps :)

xDudettex
'Stop wishing for the sunshine. Start living in the rain.' - Kids In Glass Houses.

'Would you destroy something perfect in order to make it beautiful?' - MCR artwork.

sweet mother of asparagus
— GengarIsBestBoy