z

Young Writers Society

White Bandit

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:22 pm
Firestarter says...

This was originally going to be the start of a novel, however I disliked it and left it as it were, an unfinished chapter. Moreover it was me practicising how to action, soemthing which I am still learning.

----------

The mob had swelled to over three dozen now, with several flaming torches, a few pitchforks and the leader patting his obligatory club menacingly. They were asking for blood, stomping their feet and beginning to circle around their prey. Two males, stood back to back, clad in armour with white tunics underneath, held out longswords.

“Must we kill them, brother?”

“Us or them, and I know which one I’d choose,” replied the second man, twirling the sword round in his palm.

The first man just nodded. Others were flocking to the back of the group, and the pair encircled looked certainly doomed, bar a miracle. They were perched on the top of a low hill, the grass wet with winter’s dew and the tree’s whirling in the late afternoon breeze, the sun hidden behind a cloud, not even bothering to make an appearance.

“Murderers! You’ll pay for what you did to Logan!” shouted a fat woman near the back.

The second man sighed heavily. How do we serve such people with so little mental scope? Logan had been a fool. Drunk, he had stumbled at the two men and shouted the usual rubbish they heard around these parts, about not needing foreign help and buggering off back to where they came from. He had merely ignored the man and walked past but having heard the familiar sound of an unsheathed weapon and, turned back to knock the knife out of the man’s hand.

He must have been getting old, because the knife had sliced his forearm. Only barely though, the cut was shallow. But it had enraged him at the time, and he had taken out his longsword, and told the man to drop the weapon. Logan had laughed in his alcohol-driven state and charged forward. Seconds later he was lying on the floor, the remnants of his arm rolling to a half a few feet behind. And how was it his fault if Logan had then run off only to bleed to death?

“It begins,” said the first man, as a few brave men broke from the crowd to run forward. One of them carried an old sword while the other two wielded heavy wooden clubs, and as they reached close to the pair they grinned manically and swung back. Only to die. One of the men in the white tunics had knelt down and hacked the first attacker’s leg, then in a show of exquisite swordsmanship, spun himself upwards and reversed his stroke to cut off another’s head. The other armoured male, who had decapitated Logan’s arm, lazily cut the man’s chest and then kicked his body back.

The crowd’s anger grew, their unrest throbbing. And then, as if an unheard signal had been given, most of the crowd began to walk warily towards the pair, now in the knowledge that this wasn’t a few criminals they were dealing with. But many were lacking courage, some at that that unwilling to die were trying to move back to a safer position. But the general direction of the group and pressure didn’t allow it and they were reluctantly pushed into the kill zone of the men.

That’s when it became serious. Surrounded by over thirty attackers, the men exchanged grim looks and awaited their deaths.

“Let it be quick, my Lord,” one of them muttered, holding his left arm to his heart. They moved back to their original position, back to back, whilst absently walking in a circle. And then suddenly attacked.

It surprised the mob, they had been expecting to be the ones who would throw themselves at the men, but when it happened the other way round, the ones in question looked shocked and were too slow in raising their weapons. So they paid, in their own blood, which stained the grass as their bodies slipped to the floor.

But they weren’t all so bungling, one of the men took a hit with a nasty snapping sound of a breaking rib, while the second was pushed over by a lunge from a pitchfork, his armour doing its job and preventing any injury. As he attempted to get to his feet, a woman stood one foot on his breastplate and raised her butcher knife backwards. But his partner saved him, smashing his left fist into her chin. But he was knocked over too – by sheer weight of numbers. Two men lying on the grass as thirty grinned and went for the kill.

But an unexpected twang and a man was hit by an arrow in the centre of his chest, a second taking one in his thigh, screaming in pain. And confusion spread; where were they being assailed from? But it was overtaken by panic and they fled, jumping over any dead, heading for the distant village from where they came.

One of the men, knocked over by the pitchfork, rolled to his side and looked at his companion to offer some witty comment. But stopped as he saw that he was bleeding, badly.

“Where are you hit, my friend?” he asked, with desperation, the bleeding man stirred yet offered no answer. Frantically searching for the wound, he found it in his side where the armour had slipped from a blow. He stuck his hand in; it was deep. And knew it that one moment that he would die. It was like someone had just slapped him across the face. Brother Pase was his Life Brother and he loved him dearly.

------

Comments welcome
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:59 am
Nate says...

I really thought I had commented on this long ago... guess not.

It's a good story, but it needs more. Right now, I don't care about the brothers, and I wasn't concerned when one of them died. If you are going to have somebody die, then do it after you have established an emotional connection between the reader and the character. Otherwise it seems fake.

Aside from adding more background, and probably a prelude to the fight, you need to describe the expressions of the crowd more. Get into the gritty details; tell us what everything about them looks like from their hair to their fingernails. Same with the warriors; describe their swords as they flash in the sun, or the dents in their armor. Allow us to be able to actually breath in the essence of the character (sounds lame, but I mean it). If you want us to care about the dead brother, then describe how they stand closely and use names other than "brother" for the two. Maybe one goes by a childhood nickname like "snotface." For instance, I never call my younger brother "brother." I call him shrimp or worm, even though he's taller than me now.

There is some really good stuff in here, though, such as the twirling of the sword or how the one villager lunged with a pitchfork. The story just needs more development.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:20 pm
Firestarter says...

Aside from adding more background, and probably a prelude to the fight, you need to describe the expressions of the crowd more. Get into the gritty details; tell us what everything about them looks like from their hair to their fingernails. Same with the warriors; describe their swords as they flash in the sun, or the dents in their armor. Allow us to be able to actually breath in the essence of the character (sounds lame, but I mean it). If you want us to care about the dead brother, then describe how they stand closely and use names other than "brother" for the two. Maybe one goes by a childhood nickname like "snotface." For instance, I never call my younger brother "brother." I call him shrimp or worm, even though he's taller than me now.

Heehee they're aren't brothers at all! They're just religious partners. So it's not a blood thing or anything. Perhaps that wasn't clear....this was just about of flash fiction, but I'll look at your comments again and change things.

Thanks a lot!
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:50 am
Ego says...

The mob had swelled to over three dozen now, with several flaming torches, a few pitchforks and the leader patting his obligatory{{{this word seems odd when used here...}}} club menacingly. They were asking{{Stronger word 'demanding'?}} for blood, stomping their feet and beginning to circle around their prey. Two males{{no comma}} stood back to back, clad in armour with white tunics underneath, held{{should be 'holding' in this context}} out longswords.

“Must we kill them, brother?” {{the first asked.}}

“Us or them, and I know which one I’d choose,” replied the second man, twirling the sword {{around}}round in his palm.

The first man just nodded. Others were flocking to the back of the group, and the pair encircled{{encircled pair}} looked certainly doomed, bar a miracle. They were perched on the top of a low hill, the grass wet with winter’s dew and the tree’s whirling in the late afternoon breeze, the sun hidden behind a cloud, not even bothering to make an appearance.

My comments; I added some corrections I found...

The action s rough and a little hard to follow, as are the characters...you mentioned this was a practice to help you wth action, tohugh, and it certainly is excellent for a practice action sequence.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:00 pm
Firestarter says...

Thanks for those corrections.

This was just a practice, rather than a story, that's why the characters are a bit rubbish, to be honest. I was just trying to get the feel of writing an action scene.

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:14 pm
Emma says...

I liked it. But remember... next time include CHOCOLATE! WHOOO!

576 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:22 am
Ego says...

Firestarter wrote:Thanks for those corrections.

This was just a practice, rather than a story, that's why the characters are a bit rubbish, to be honest. I was just trying to get the feel of writing an action scene.

For something as random as this, it was excellent! The premise is wonderful, I wish you'd spend some time on it and make it good. (Or perhaps let me use the story?)
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

Random avatar

Reviews: 241
Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:57 pm
Harley says...

that was really great but I think you have 2 make it a weensy bit clearer that they aren't actual brothers

Reviews: 2
Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:46 am
Ayren says...

I quite liked it actually and it was really detailed and vivid so picturing wasn't hard and everything made sense, but when I was done reading it I just felt that it should have been longer because it all seemed to have happen to fast. If there was more insight into what the two characters are thinking I think it would really improve it as well because that is just a feature I like in everything I read, to be able to get into the character(s) head and understand what he/she is thinking.
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Thomas Jefferson

Reviews: 4
Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:38 pm
Zephyr says...

Though there is a good premise, I feel like this is lacking something- which may, in part, be due to the fact that it is a chapter and not a stand-alone work. One of the biggest problems I found was that I was confused between who was attacking/defending, lunging/parrying, etc. I think that names would be a big step towards clearing up some of the confusion. The description, however, is well-worked, especially the action, because that sort of thing is difficult to do.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:50 pm
Firestarter says...

Thanks for the comment.

Yeh, it started off like a chapter and so I can see now, as I look back, that I set it up for further work, and probably later on would have fixed it. But this in the end was just an experiment and have learnt a few things from it. I think I'm better at fight scenes now, I've written a few in my novel and I'm happy with them. Thank you nevertheless.

576 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:08 am
Ego says...

Do you still plan on abandoning this story? If so, I'd like permission to continue/ rewrite it... (credit to you for the idea of course)

148 Reviews

Reviews: 148
Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:06 am
ohhewwo says...

. . . can an arm be decapitated?(para.8)

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:18 pm
Firestarter says...

No. Well spotted! I have no idea what I actually meant. I wrote this too long ago to remember.

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:41 am
Mattie says...

Hey Firestarter! (I know how mad you get when people write your name wrong!) I like this and wish you would write more. Like Nate said, you really do need to get more into your story before you kill off one of your characters. If you're going to do it in the first chapter at least make some kind of emotional connection between myself and the person. I think that was along the lines of someone else's critique but I'm not sure. Anyways, I think you should let Hunter continue this story if you're not going to. I'm sure you'll be happy with what we writes since he is a well know writer (good one if I might add) on this board. :) Hope to read more!

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
— Bill Nye