z

Young Writers Society

Jacob the squirrel

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:44 am
the-candyman says...

I've never written a story and I'm writing this as I go, so please don't go to hard on me. tell me if you like it

One sunny afternoon in a forest abundant with animals a squirrel climbed up an old tree and walked onto a skinny branch, but the branch was not strong enough to hold the squirrel. The branch broke off of the tree and the squirrel was sent sprawling towards the ground.

“Not again,” the squirrel said to himself.

The squirrel’s name is Jacob. He’s used to falling from trees and tripping on bark. Once, Jacob put too many nuts in his mouth and he choked on them.

As you’ve probably figured out he’s very clumsy, because of this Jacob was made fun of at school and Jacob’s parents were very ashamed of him

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:36 am
Snoink says...

Aw.... this isn't quite a proper story yet. You introduced your character and the conflict, so now you need to have a conclusion! What happens at the end?

Good luck on writing more! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:16 am
Lindsaroo says...

Oh My Gosh...Dude, you have to write more! Like, this is a good start to introduce stuff, like Snoink said, but now you've got me wanting to know about the squirrel. So yeah...:) Can't wait.
"After it happened I thought that I'd just try to live as normally as possible and bury it, but things like that don't stay buried. I didn't think it would, but it taints your whole life."

"My desires were bestial, obviously." -Jeffery Dahmer.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:32 pm
Twit says...

It's dangling, dangling! What's dangling? The ending! So far, this looks good, and what little there is flows well.

One sunny afternoon in a forest abundant with animals, a squirrel climbed up an old tree and walked onto a skinny branch, but the branch was not strong enough to hold the squirrel.

This is too long. Start a new sentance after ... walked along a skinny branch.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

195 Reviews

Reviews: 195
Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:21 am
PsychicNinja says...

Omg! Hey Jared!
You wrote something!

Well, besides what they said, I'll point out some grammar errors.

One sunny afternoon in a forest abundant with animals a squirrel climbed up an old tree and walked onto a skinny branch, but the branch was not strong enough to hold the squirrel.

You need a comment under 'animals' and 'a'.

The branch broke off of the tree and the squirrel was sent sprawling towards the ground.

Ok. Mr.Krall's Grammar Class (you'll get all his grammar lessons soon enough). You need a comma between 'tree' & 'and'.

Another thing. You need to lessen the use of the word 'squirrel'. Add pronouns in.

As you’ve probably figured out he’s very clumsy, because of this Jacob was made fun of at school and Jacob’s parents were very ashamed of him

You need a peroid at the end of the sentence. Plus, it's a run-on.

I'm sorry if I was too hard, but you need to fix up the grammar. It's easier to crit that way if you do, Jared.

Can't wait for the ending. lol
:smt003

~Timea
"Look, Ma. No hands"
"You haven't got a ma."
"Maybe a nice old lady will adopt me. I'm very loveable."
―Fi and Darman

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:31 am
ninja-Z says...

ok it looks like a difficult plot to have but i hope it turns out well!!and stuff_
timea already got the mistakes, so nice Z_

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:14 am
Nate says...

As everyone else has said, you start out pretty well. You've introduced a few things here: the character's name, what he's like, and a possible conflict.

So now you have to figure out where to go from here. You might, for example, write about a single day at school. All the squirrels are on a branch when all of a sudden it breaks. Most of them make it off just fine, but one little squirrel is left hanging on for dear life. Everyone is too scared to rescue the little squirrel. However, Jacob falls all the time, and so he's not really scared of falling anymore. So he ends up making his way cautiously to the little squirrel and manages to rescue him.

That's just an example and I'm sure you can improve on it or make something better up :P

Anyways, good luck!

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:41 pm
crewgurl93 says...

You started pretty good. Basically everybody already said what I was going to say. Finish it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Goth-Hippie?!

A memorandum isn't written to inform the receiver, but to protect the writer.
— Dean Acheson