z

Young Writers Society

Rebels Together

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:46 pm
Stori says...

I made it through another day. Dragons are stubborn like that. I set hand to keys and began to type this chapter.

We were in the school was cafe, Kim and I, at the same table. I sort of dipped my head, then went back to my lunch.

"How old are you?" Kim asked.

"Two hundred ten," I replied.

"Come on! How old are you really?"

"I just told you."

She fell silent. What a jerk, I thought.

"Hey, don't believe me. According to the school's records, I'm fifteen." I crossed my arms and smirked. "Of course, the principal got a bucket of lies. It's not easy being on the run."

"What do you mean, 'on the run?' You're here."

"Not for long though. Don't be surprised if I leave within a month. It depends on whether the others have anything to say." Darn, why'd I go and say that?

We parted on that note. I was fuming, but she wouldn't even speak to me.

It just so happens that we had the same route home. She lived a few streets away. I asked her, "What's with all the gossip? Everyone's talking in whispers about 'Kim's arm.' So?"

"My left arm is mechanical," she admitted. "I lost it in an accident. The doctors said it was lucky I survived."

A fighter, I thought. Should I tell her? To which the cautious part of me replied, Not yet.

We walked on for a while, then I blurted, "Listen, why don't you drop by my place? It's not far, and I have it all to myself."

"Sure, why not?" She reached into a pocket and withdrew a silver cell phone. "Uncle, is it all right if I come home late?" She listened for a minute, rolled her eyes, and said, "No, I'm not in love. Give me a break! Yeah, I'll be back in time."
She hung up. "That guy can be a real pain. But he's all the family I have."

"It hurts, doesn't it? Believe me, I know. My whole clutch was wiped out." Oh, not again!

"Your 'clutch,' huh? It sounds like you're a bird." She did a very good imitation of a canary.

"Yeah, well, it's a little more complex than that. Kim, can I trust you to keep a secret?"

"It depends," she said with a malicious grin.

"I am dead serious about this, Kim. Meaning I could be dead if this gets out."

"What could be so important?"

"I'm a dragon in hiding. Don't laugh; it's true!"

She was in fact making a very stern face at me.

"I mean it! You're the only friend I have in this town. Come on, do you believe me?"

"I believe you." She sighed. "I never thought I'd live to see the day. So, what is your name, you know, your real name?"

"Azure," I said quietly. "My name is Azure."

"All right, let's go, Azure." I felt warmth blossom in my heart. It felt good to be called by my real name.

I took her hand, and she didn't object. We formed a sort of pact then, an understanding that went deeper than words.

In short, I had met the love of my life.
Last edited by Stori on Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:03 pm
Layleun says...

Eh, I'm a little iffy. I liked the overall storyline but I really didn't like how you just jumped in without explanation. At first I was, "Ok, let's give him a chance to explain later in the chapter." But after I was finished I was a little confused. Whose Kim? And Azure? You don't really say anything except that Azure was a two hundred some old dragon in hiding. More explaining would be nice ^^

~[~Lupe~]~

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:14 pm
TNCowgirl says...

I LIKE, it is COOL!!!
"And you wonder why we don't like you!" -Trumpkin
Vist my world and make it bigger!
Want a Readers crit???

461 Reviews

Reviews: 461
Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:21 pm
GingerLizzy says...

I like it and I'm eager to see whether or not you post more of this, but I thinl you should edit your story so that it has an explanation and such.

You jumped from time to time from different subjects and it seems a little rushed to me.

Keep workng on it...Then it'll be great ! ^^
Worship the ginger monkey :) aaand join my new group!

Oh, and enter my new contest!

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:59 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

*Moved to Fantasy Fiction*
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:47 pm
Stori says...

A little explanation seems to be in order. First of all, Azure is Carl. He takes on human shape to hide. The "others" are also dragons, who you'll meet later. They form the Remnant, the last dragons on Earth.
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

Today is your day. You’re off to Great Places, you’re off and away!
— Dr. Seuss