z

Young Writers Society

Pre-Match At Café Foolsdrop

174 Reviews

Reviews: 174
Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:25 pm
EliteHusky says...

“Welcome to Café Foolsdrop the main match will be starting soon, but in the meantime, what will you be having?”

The waiter dug his hands into his shirt pocket removing a note pad.

William straightened his posture as he moved his chair closer towards the table, “I’ll have a bowl of mutton stew with extra dumplings,” he turned his head, “and what would you like Mrs. Gimico?”

The old woman rose from her seat slowly, and tugged gently at the leash of her Belgian Sheepdog, “thank you gentlemen for finding my dog,” she spoke quietly turning around.

“Are you leaving?” Charlie asked, getting up himself to help her towards the door.

“My dear, I have a lot of work that has to be done. Now if you please let me continue with my business!” and with that she left the café in a scuff.

This change in attitude left Charlie feeling slightly rubbish as he headed back to their table. “I’ll have the same as William,” he murmured towards the waiter as he quickly jotted the orders down.

“And what will you be having?” he asked turning to face Thomas.

“No thank you I’m fine,” he replied.

“Come on Thomas, you have to eat something!” Charlie pleaded

“It’s really okay,” he said reassuringly, but Charlie was still persistent.

“He’ll have the same thank you, and add 3 glasses of ginger ale and one can of Blokes Cola to the order.”

William turned sharply to look at him as the waiter retuned to the kitchen doors, “Blokes Cola, honestly Charlie, who is going to drink that stuff?”

Thomas turned to face Charlie, “what’s Blokes Cola?”

“It’s a carbonated beverage that makes the drinker gain fifty pounds temporarily” he responded smiling. “Hey do you reckon we can stay for the Foolsdrop match, it’s still a sour atmosphere outside.”

“Mum and Dad said to stay put until the rain eases so I reckon they shouldn’t mind too much!” William added with a smile.

“You still haven’t seen a Foolsdrop match have you Thomas,” Charlie stated, as he rummaged through his jacket and pulled out a small piece of paper, handing it to Thomas.
The back of the paper had a red seal on it but on the other side, Thomas noticed that someone had jotted down rules rather hastily,

Broomstick Rules For Foolsdrop:

The Player may use their flying broomsticks when they have to deposit coin(s) in their team basket

The broomstick must come from a trusted league company:
1. Al's Broomstick
2. Emporium Broomsticks
3. The Polished Wood
4. Pawn's Shop

The player may not use, summon or have their broomstick with them beyond the Line Of Fire (L.O.F.)
Coins stay in the team's basket; any team found with a hollow basket will be disqualified.

The Line Of Fire is there to ward the Goblins away from the spectators. It is harmless to the contestants but to any creature containing an evil will like the Goblins & other beasts contained within the competing grounds, it is packed with enough magic to temporarily knock the intruder unconscious until the school's staff or league's authorities can get them safely taken care of and back in.

Please Note that these Goblins & Creatures are very dangerous and are not to be taken lightly, any player found assisting them out of the grounds may do so at their own risk but will be apprehended and be taken to the nearby Ministry where they will be given a fair hearing, NO magic will be used by the defendant during the hearing.

If you, the player, collect the Black coin and place it in your team's basket your team will win the match by default. Therefore the Black coin will have a faster movement and it's thinking will be of more "important" strategies and issues than it's counterparts, Yellow, Brown and Silver. Below is the Point & Speed System:

Slower Speed
Yellow X7

Brown X5

Silver X3

Black XX
Faster Speed

Charlie clasped his hands together, “So it’s settled then, we will attend the match!”

“Where is it being played?” Thomas asked anxiously.

Charlie looked at him, “Well it has to be in the café if they’re publicizing it so much…”
“You’re joking!” he replied looking at William for reassurance.

“I’m afraid he might be right on this one Thomas.” William confirmed.

The kitchen doors opened as the waiter came back out holding a large tray, “Here you are, is that all you’ll be ordering for now?”

William took out his wallet as Charlie motioned for the waiter’s attention with his hand, “actually we’d like to buy tickets for the match, now; which teams are playing, what time will it start, and where is the match?”

“Way to be rude mate…” William added.

“The man looked at his watch, “It’s between the Nottingham Griffins and the Athlone Greeneyes, the match will start in thirty minutes.”

“Okay,” Charlie said nodding his head, “but where is it?’

The waiter bent down to Thomas and William, “Is he always this annoying?”

“Mostly,” William replied with a smile.

Charlie erupted pleading innocence in front of them, “for goodness sake, leave a pause for the sake of baby Jesus! I just wanted to know where the game is!”

“It’s in that room there,” he pointed as the rain outside began to pour harder.

“Hold on,” Thomas interrupted, “from what I’ve been told, this sounds like the game requires a large area or field but how can you possibly fit a field and everyone inside that room!”

The waiter walked towards Thomas’s own chair and whispered towards his ear, “magic!”

“Then we’ll be there,” Charlie smiled towards the waiter, “You on the other hand William have the honour of buying our tickets!” Charlie beamed at William as he returned a smile. The waiter collected the money as Thomas stared towards the room in which a man appeared to be guarding. The waiter then wished them a good time and headed towards the kitchen doors.

“At least I don’t have the honour of being rejected by two women today!” William laughed unable to withhold the humour any longer.

“Witty, very witty….” Charlie responded as they began to eat the delectable meal. It was a shame as Thomas noticed, that William had mistaken the ginger ale for the dangerous cola and soon became a chubby chap throwing handfuls of dumplings towards Charlie and Thomas, as they ducked beneath the table, anxious to see the Foolsdrop match.

389 Reviews

Reviews: 389
Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:06 am
SeraphTree says...

It's hard to keep the story straight. There is no main character, which makes it difficult to follow. We need some more details and background. Thats the only thing I see :)
"How grateful we are that the heavens are indeed open, that the gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored, and that the Church is founded on the rock of revelation. We are a blessed people, with apostles and prophets upon the earth today."~ Thomas S. Monson

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:22 am
jonny911 says...

First of all, I'll echo Seraph tree. I couldn't really figure out who was who since you have three characters and 0 intros. And what the heck does this Cafe look like? Details. You also have a lot of misplaced elements: the Blokes Soda, the rules (and that would be so much better if the rules were spoken), Charlie's outburst, the humor: none of them fit in with the other parts of the sotry. It's like you have 20 stories all jumbled into one, so you really should work on finding a theme and sticking with it for the whole story, overall, this as is is not very good.
"Son, what do you want to be when you grow up?"
"A felon!"
"Are you sure?"
"Yah! This kid at school says they get all the girls!"
"I should try that..."

I am not a person I am a natural disaster
— TheWordsOfWolf