Young Writers Society

Up In Flames; Rough Draft

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:39 pm
Nebesah says...

Here it is. Sorry it's so long...

I am a poser.

There. I said it. It feels good to be honest-with you and with myself, but if you ask me about this later I’ll deny it. For now, just listen.

I make fun of girls who wish upon stars and dream of big, bright futures; I ridicule those who talk of getting married and living “happily ever after.” I tell them all that they are hopeless Romantics. Sure, a few will have successful careers and some might even have decent marriages, but in all reality, most of them will have one or none. I tell them that perfect is only on TV and that real life, though it tries, can never quite measure up. I tell them that more often than not, you have to choose between your career and your marriage and that those who try to balance both end up losing both. I tell them that tragedy is waiting to strike so don’t get too comfortable with the good things you have because they never last. I tell them that it’s pointless to cry when someone dies because death is imminent. It is only a matter of when-not if.

I tell them all these things, but they never listen. Some call me heartless; others call me realistic. None bother to ask me why I am this way. The truth is: I used to be just like them. I would stare up at the clouds and imagine what life lay ahead for me. I would dream of being a doctor or a lawyer or a firefighter and of all the people I would help. I honestly believed that I would get married some day and have kids and we would all be happy. I lived in a sugar-coated world and thought nothing bad could ever happen to me.

It was this kind of blissful ignorance that ended up hurting me most when I learned that nothing ever goes the way you want it to and that death is indeed a reality.

I was lost in thought as I walked home from the bus stop that day. I was ten and wondering what it would be like to be an archaeologist like Indiana Jones. I imagined going on adventures to far-off exotic lands in Africa and South America and finding mummies and skeletons and old tools used by people thousands of years ago. I was just thinking of how I would escape if some bad guy tied my wrists and feet together and threw me in the ocean as he made off with the all the Aztec artifacts I had discovered in Mexico when I ran into someone, literally. This brought me sky-rocketing out of my day-dream to where I now stood, on the street in front of my house. There were all kinds of flashing lights and people around me were whispering as men and women far ahead of me were hustling and bustling about on the other side of the police barrier. The police barrier that stood between me and my house.

I have always been self-reliant, a person of action, but as I stood there that day watching the smoke rise from my house I couldn’t move. I couldn’t think. I couldn’t breathe. I could only stare in horror as everything I knew was engulfed in the flames that never seemed to be satisfied.

Then a stray thought crossed my mind: My mother. She was inside and no one knew.

We lived in a small town back then-Shreaveport, New Jersey. Everyone in town knew each other and your business was everyone’s business. My mother was the biology teacher at the high school and she volunteered at the local church all the time. Everyone knew her mother was dying and Mom was planning to fly out early this morning to visit her one last time. Everyone thought this was just an empty house, full of memories. They didn’t bother to check inside and now my mother was going to die.

I pushed my way to the front of the now large crowd that had congregated outside my house. A young officer was monitoring the barrier. I didn’t recognize him, which was odd because my father is a cop and, for me, not knowing one of the officers was as rare as snow in south Texas.

“Excuse me, Mister?” my voice cracked with worry. “What?” he said with annoyance before realizing that I was just a little girl. I cringed. “I need to get over there.” I said urgently as I pointed over by the fire-fighters. I needed to find my mother and this man was slowing me down. “Well, I’m sorry Miss but you can’t.” I was losing my patience by then. “Mister, I live there! My father is Sheriff Rembrandt and this is my house and my mother is in that burning building, so would you PLEASE LET ME BY!” Why wouldn’t the oaf just let me through? The man’s eyes widened as what I said registered. “Your father is…your mother is…?” I just nodded. He rushed off. “Wait right here. I have to go make a call.” He wouldn’t be quick enough, I knew. And that’s why I slipped past the police barrier, past the firemen and women who didn’t notice me, and into my burning house.

There was smoke everywhere. It smelt of fire: burning wood, burning fabric, burning plastic. I was terrified, but I got on all fours and crawled anyways. “Mom?” I called out weakly in between coughing on all the smoke. It wasn’t unbearably hot because the fire-fighters had succeeded in extinguishing most of the flames, which both worried and reassured me. If the flames were mostly gone, it meant that I would be less likely to get hurt while searching for my mother. On the contrary, if the flames were gone it meant my mother had all the time while they fought to save our house to die of smoke inhalation or whatever else. But there was no time to think of such things now as I went from room to room, searching. I could hear people behind me. They called out to me telling me to come back. I ignored them and kept going, determined to find my mother. Eventually, I couldn’t even call out anymore because my every time I tried to speak, I merely coughed.

I finally found her in her and Dad’s bedroom. She was splayed out on the floor, facedown, a melted basket of what was once clean laundry next to her. Deep down, I knew she was dead. Her hair and clothes were burned, her skin was blacked in some areas, red and inflamed in others. But still, that stupid hopeful part of me refused to give up and believe she was really dead. That stupid, stupid part of me turned her over to see her face.

Half of it was gone, melted and burned away like the laundry basket and the clothes inside. I could see parts of her skull blackened form the fire, and parts of flesh, burnt to a crisp, the still-stuck skin.

When I saw her, I made no noise, no movement, nothing. I simply stared in astonishment, unable to look away from the gruesome sight before me. I hoped none of it was real. I told myself it wasn’t her. This wasn’t my house. This was all just a horrible nightmare and I would wake up and feel her loving arms around my once again as she sent me off to school.

Then, like a wave, reality hit, fording me to accept it. Tears sprang to my eyes and my lips formed a silent “Why?” The firemen who had followed chased me in here finally found me. I heard them coming but didn’t turn around. I could practically hear the astonishment on their faces as their minds registered my mother’s lifeless body. “Oh my God, Bill. You told me no one was in here!” “No one was supposed to be! She was supposed to be on a flight to see her dying mother today!”

I turned around and glared at them, tears in my eyes. “Yeah, well, she was sick and decided to stay home and look what you’ve done. She’s dead.” My voice cracked as I said that last word. Dead. It just sat on my tongue. I burst into tears at that moment, curled up in a ball on the floor. “Come on, let’s get you out of here,” one man said as he reached for me. “No!” I screamed as I jumped to my feet, startling both him and myself. “I don’t want to go with you! You killed my mother! YOU KILLED HER! You killed her…” At this I broke into fitful sobs again, but allowed them to lead me out of the house with tears streaming down my cheeks and a heaviness on my heart.
My sister: I'll never forget that day... It was raining wasn't it?
Me: ...no.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a review? PM me and I will take care of it. :]

**previously known as EAHailstone**

123 Reviews

Reviews: 123
Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:30 am
kittykat says...

day-dream
--- one word

It feels good to be honest-with you and...
--- I don't think that hyphen is needed.

I tell them all that they are hopeless Romantics.
--- 'romantics' doesn't need to be capitalized

Sorry, nitpicks. Anyways. Let's move on.

For an action/adventure I actually sort of liked this? The first opening line is good, although heard before. The first thought that came up reading it is some popular/mean girl that is hiding a bla-bla-cliche-bla past and that this would be about her simply 'SHOCKING!' secret getting out and etc.

But, interestingly enough, it wasn't. So I read on instead of turning half-way to find a different story out of boredom! I like how upfront and candid the main character is during the beginning. Especially the last line of the first paragraph and how it will directly tie with the ending. One thing I don't like is that her dreams and little kid aspirations in the fourth paragraph seem a little too detailed. A little too much writing on a side-note of thoughts. Not to say you should take the whole thing out! Just to shorten, leave only bare neccessities.

I'm out of it today, having read the title Up in Flames and not expecting a fire to be in the story. Odd. But anyway... There is a spot where you changed point of view:

My mother was the biology teacher at the high school and she volunteered at the local church all the time. Everyone knew her mother was dying and Mom was planning to fly out early this morning...

You also need to go through your dialogue and make each new speaking line a new paragraph, for example:

“Excuse me, Mister?” my voice cracked with worry.

“What?” he said with annoyance before realizing that I was just a little girl.

I cringed. “I need to get over there.” I said urgently as I pointed over by the firefighters. I needed to find my mother and this man was slowing me down.

“Well, I’m sorry Miss but you can’t.”

I was losing my patience by then. “Mister, I live there! My father is Sheriff Rembrandt and this is my house and my mother is in that burning building, so would you PLEASE LET ME BY!” Why wouldn’t the oaf just let me through?

The man’s eyes widened as what I said registered. “Your father is… your mother is… ?” I just nodded. He rushed off. “Wait right here. I have to go make a call.”

He wouldn’t be quick enough, I knew. And that’s why I slipped past the police barrier, past the firemen and women who didn’t notice me, and into my burning house.

That's actually my most favorite part, but what bothers me about it is using those caps. Even if it is meant to be seen with a lot of emotion it still just seems superfluous.

I could hear people behind me. They called out to me telling me to come back. I ignored them and kept going, determined to find my mother.

If people could see her, and call out to her, and she could hear them, why wasn't a firefighter or anyone else close enough to pull her out themselves? It seems like a simple thing and a plot hole in your story. Even if she was determinded, what adult in their right mind would see a ten year old crawl through a burning building, and instead of going after her they just stood back and went "Hey! Yeah, you might wanna come back..." ?

Half of it was gone, melted and burned away like the laundry basket and the clothes inside. I could see parts of her skull blackened form the fire, and parts of flesh, burnt to a crisp, the still-stuck skin.

I wonder how hot it has to be to do that to a person's face? Hm. Just a thought.

This was all just a horrible nightmare and I would wake up and feel her loving arms around my once again as she sent me off to school.

Around ME. Not my.

Then, like a wave, reality hit, fording me to accept it.

Do you mean forcing?

I turned around and glared at them, tears in my eyes. “Yeah, well, she was sick and decided to stay home and look what you’ve done. She’s dead.” My voice cracked as I said that last word.

Didn't you just say a little earlier that she couldn't even say 'mom' because of the smoke and now she's talking in coherent sentences?

---

Well, the last thing to discuss is the ending. Which (besides what I wrote above) was very, very good! I really liked this piece because I'm wondering how it will continue! It will continue, won't it? There's so many paths to take with this. It was an incredibly interesting beginning.

Well done!

If anything, I hoped this helped.
- katharine
Our happiness here is all vain glory,
This false world is but transitory,
The flesh is weak, the Fiend is slee
Timor mortis conturbat me.
--William Dunbar

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:57 am
Nebesah says...

Yes, it will go on and God do I feel like such a hypocrite because I always point out people's grammatical errors. Oh well. Thanks so much for fixing them. I'll have to go back through and fix all the plot holes.
oh, and just so you know, this story isn't anything until you get a load of the whole plot.
trust me. it will be good. It is full of conspiracies and lies and who can you trust type stuff. and the ending should be really good and surprising.
sorry. i digress.
Anyways, thanks so much for the feed back; yes, I meant "forcing," and i will work on some more of this.

Now I'm off to see how hot a fire has to be to melt/burn flesh! Toodles!

Back again.

It seems human flesh melts at 164 degrees Fahrenheit and that in rooms in houses where there aren't even fires, the temperature can reach 300 degrees.

Also, the "Everyone knew her mother" is supposed to be that everyone knew the narrator's grandma was sick, but if I failed to get my point across to you as the reader, I have failed as an author and must rephrase it.

I have also failed on the whole firefighters-not-at-first-running thing so i must fix that.

Futheralsomore, I meant to say that the firemen had already extinguished the fire and it was just the smoke, but i see now i didn't say that. so just know that in case i never bother to fix it.

Thanks again, and Toodles! again. (hopefully for good this time...) :]
My sister: I'll never forget that day... It was raining wasn't it?
Me: ...no.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a review? PM me and I will take care of it. :]

**previously known as EAHailstone**

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:32 pm
Duskglimmer says...

Hey EAHailstone,

This was really nicely written. It had a nice flow and moved along at a good pace. I enjoyed reading it. However, there are a few things that seem a little off to me:

1) "I tell them that it’s pointless to cry when someone dies because death is imminent." - "imminent" doesn't seem to be the right word. Perhaps "inevitable" instead? The next line indicates that death is a certainty, you just didn't know when it is coming, while "imminent" has a connotation dealing with time - something imminent is coming just around the corner, soon. I know this is a fairly minor nit-pick, but being so close to the beginning of the story, I think it's important to get the word choice exactly right. This is how you're setting up your story, this is how you're drawing the reader in.

2) I find it difficult to believe that firefighters wouldn't check to make sure there weren't people inside. Even if they didn't believe that her mother was there, there was a ten-year-old living there and it sounds like the fire would have happened around the time the child would be getting out of school. They would have no way of knowing whether or not the child came home early or not. You did say that the fire was mostly out by the time she got home, so if you indicated that they'd all been there for a while (maybe show them getting ready to leave, etc.), I would believe this more.

3) How sick was the mother? I figure you have to be pretty sick to skip out on a flight to go see your dying mother, but then she was up and doing laundry? If she was able to be up and doing laundry, what kept her from escaping the burning house? If something was blocking her way from getting out, how was the ten year old able to find her so easily? The mother comes off feeling a little like set-dressing instead of a full character because she doesn't seem to be able to move on her own.

3) Why were there no policemen she recognized? It made me think that that detail would come up again, but it didn't. Why was it important to the story that no one knew her? I would either take out the fact that her dad was a policemen, or have one of the policemen know her. I would lean toward the latter, since you've placed the story in a small town, and I would assume that she'd know some of the policement whether her dad was on the force or not.

4) Completely on a formatting note: Dialogue should start it's own paragraph. It's just easier to keep track of people talking that way, rather than having the dialogue occur in the middle of paragraphs.

Besides all that, I think you did a wonderful job. The descriptions are great. I agree that the exactness of the day-dream might be a little much, but I like how imaginative she seems. I would just keep up that level of detail, really flesh out everything, so it seems more like a piece of her personality, instead of an exceptionally detailed paragraph near the beginning.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:05 am
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

I loved it!! I did notice all the plot holes that were pointed out, but I was still completely drawn into the story!

I felt my heart go all heavy when she found her mom in the fire. The beginning was great too, it was a bit cliché, but after you read the whole thing you get that ‘wow, that’s totally not what I was expecting!’ moment that makes you giddy. Well, I did anyway.

Could you please PM me when you post more?? :D
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

Shady's wall is now the Randomosity forum in a nut shell
— alliyah