z

Young Writers Society

Canasta

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:03 am
Hiadel says...

Hey guys this is the first 1/3 of the story, so tell me what you think so far. I already have the whole storyline set up, but I would like to see what you guys think!

Hiadel

Bumping my head against the overhanging bar in the bathroom stall I nearly fell onto the tile floor. Using a nearby door handle I was able to get myself back on my feet. Walking back to the mirrors in the bathroom I looked at my reflection. My dark hair folded over the frames I was wearing and you could see where a bruise was forming on my forehead. Dammit. If I ever meet the guy that set up this airport I’ll see to it that he gets what he deserves. Who makes the frames for the doors that small? It doesn’t matter though; I think I’ll be fine anyway.

Adjusting my glasses I walked out of the restroom and made my way down the terminal. Passing restaurants I watched as vendors leaned from Asian buffet tables with free samples and newspaper stands hawked their good. The terminal was filled with an air of business with all the short businessmen going on their way across the country to do their own separate things. All day it seems I’ve been in this mass system of transit like no other that can rout people from one point to another like ants in an anthill.

Finding my gate I went over to the check-in booth and talked to the young stewardess. Knowing that everything was going to plan I walked over to the cluster of benches near the gate and sat down and went through my cell phone.

It was almost over. All I had to do is board the plane and finish the last few stages of the operation. First I would wait until we had elevated high enough into the sky. Once we were over a certain coordinate I would kill the target, blow a hole in the side of the plane, and make my escape by parachute. Gliding down I would land on a small remote island out in the middle of the ocean. There I would rendezvous with other agents and head back to headquarters. It’s as simple as that. The only difficult part is getting the kill and jumping out of the airplane. Those two could become a real pain if I’m not careful.

Going through the pictures on my cell phone I saw the picture of the target. It was the daughter of a guns dealer. She was on vacation out here in the east and she was on her way back home. With long brown hair and white skin, I didn’t think finding her in this airport will be too much of a challenge. She’s not going to put up much of a fight, but I have to be on my guard in case something out of the ordinary happens.

Looking at my luggage I made sure I had all my tools. The suitcase with a needle and poison was resting against to my leg. On my other side was a small duffle bag with some explosives that would blow the hole in the side of the plane. If I really needed anything more to do the job I also had a bundle of fishing wire to use to strangle her if worse came to worse packed in the suitcase.

Scanning over the terminal I found her sitting over in a corner near a stone pillar. She had her legs crossed and a newspaper open in her lap. Good, now I just have to wait to get on the plane. Glancing at an electronic clock on the wall I saw that I had about an hour. Just enough time for a nap. Closing my eyes I let the bustling terminal around me fall away as I drifted away into sleep.

---

“Last call for flight 5483 to Canada. Please check in now.” one of the stewardesses said over the intercom.

Jolting up I realized that I was almost late. I hadn’t even signed in! Running over to the check in I talked to the stewardess.

“Sir, you’ve already signed in.”

“Really?”

As if I were playing a joke on her she glanced up at me from her computer screen “Yes, really, sir. Now go have a seat, the flight will be boarding shortly.” Turning back from her I took a seat with my things. That’s so strange. I could have sworn that I haven’t signed in yet for the flight back home. Adjusting the glasses I had on I looked over at people near me who were going to be riding the flight. There were a bunch of Asian people sitting near of the bench with their cell phones out texting out some business email. On another bench I saw a small family gathering their things together for the flight. I was so happy they didn’t have a baby with them! If there’s one thing I hate about flying its babies. Once they start crying they don’t stop, and the only thing worse than that is if you’re the unlucky guy that gets to sit next to the family with a baby.

Turning my head a little farther I was able to see the only other non-Asian person on the flight. There was this girl sitting in the corner with a newspaper open on her lap. She had on a pleasant smile with an outfit to match it. From the looks of her tan I can tell that she’s been spending the last few days by the pool. I guess I’ll have to talk to her on the flight. I wonder what her name is.

---

Waking up from my nap I realized that the flight was about to board. The stewards opened the door to the boarding ramp and motioned for us to stand up and make our way onboard. Grabbing my things I made my way to the boarding ramp and got onto the plane. Walking through the tight corridor I made sure to place the suitcase filled with explosives away from the daughter’s seat. Tucking it away into the overhead compartment I went further down the aisle to find my seat. Sitting down I saw her sit down three rows in front of me. Good, this should all work out. She’s in a perfect position for the kill. I’ll just fake like I need something in the overhead compartment above her and start scrambling around my suitcase for the poisoned tipped needle and when she looks away I’ll jab her. The explosives will be timed so that right when I stab her they’ll go off and I can make my escape with my parachute.

I feel so exhausted though. I just want to lay back and sleep. I can’t though; I need to get this job over with. It’s there for the taking, I just have to reach out and grab it. My eyes start to fight me. They open and close each time with more weight. The exhaustion has started to overtake me; I can’t seem to control it….

---

Wow! They’ve already boarded the flight and started the plane, now that’s what I call service. Looking around me I saw that that cute girl I was eyeing before was only three seats in front of me. Looks like I’ll get to have my little chat with her after all.

Once we got to a cruising altitude I made my move and changed over to the seat right across from her on the opposite side of her row. Looking into her eyes I could see that she was a little surprised to find another foreigner on the flight. Talking to her I started to complement her.

“I like your ring” I said while pointing to this gorgeous green ring on her middle finger.

“Oh, thanks.” She said, holding her hands out for me to get a better look at it. “My father gave it to me a few years back.”

“Oh, what does he do?” I asked, curious as to what this rich girl’s father did.

“He does something in defense, he doesn’t talk about it that much.” she said.

Continuing with the conversation we talked about our past travels and experiences. Looking down at my wrist to check the time I realized that I had left my watch back at my seat.

"Excuse me, I’ll be right back” I said, moving back to my seat momentarily.

---

Putting my watch on I realized where I was. The plane was flying and the target was three seats in front of me. Noticing the time on my watch I also saw that the plane must be right over the island. I had to make my move now. Grabbing the suitcase I opened it and found the trigger for the explosives. Setting the clock to fifteen seconds I turned the small device in the case on and shut it. Turning toward the daughter I walked over to her quickly and asked her if I could retrieve something from the overhead bin above her. Turning once again I quickly opened the suitcase on the open seat across from her on the aisle and got the needle into my hand. The explosion came from the bag farther up towards the front of the plane and sucked a few of the other passengers helplessly into the sky. Turning around with the needle I saw her gripping her seat, scared for her life. It was time.

---

Holy shit! I knew that letting girls get the better of you could sometimes blind you, but this was ridiculous! One moment I’m looking at her pretty face and the next I’m seeing her eyes reflect the death that is coming from the front of the plane. Grabbing a hold of one of the chairs I dropped the needle that was in my hand (why on earth did I have that silly thing?) and looked for something to save myself. Lucky for me a parachute dropped from the suitcase I was carrying. Picking it up before it was swept out the hole I strapped it to my back. Seeing the girl next to me panicking I grabbed her by the arm and pulled her up out of her chair. Moving towards the hole we eventually got close enough that it just sucked the two of us clear out of the plane.

With her arms around me I let the wind carry us out of the flaming plane and into the open air. We plummeted like a pair of rocks towards the almost completely blue surface below. Starting to see more detail of the ocean than I’d like to I pulled the pin on the parachute and we jerked back a little as the massive tarp came out of my pack and folded open to the wind. Gliding softly we started to make our way towards the only island I could see on the horizon. The woman’s grip firmly around my waist, I couldn’t help but let up a small smile. If this didn’t score points with her I didn’t know what would.

To be continued......
Writing is the magical release of emotion from your fingertips. Why on earth do people wish to be wizards when you have writing!

556 Reviews

Reviews: 556
Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:48 am
ziggiefred says...

Hello there :)
So this story has potential. I will just outline some of the problem areas.

Bumping my head against the overhanging bar in the bathroom stall I nearly fell onto the tile floor.

This line seems a little bit off. Am I not reading it correctly?

Dammit. If I ever meet the guy that set up this airport I’ll see to it that he gets what he deserves. Who makes the frames for the doors that small? It doesn’t matter though; I think I’ll be fine anyway.

Maybe you should have ended this with, "I thought to myself" or placed it as speech because it is awkward as you read.

I liked the plot of the story. I would really like to see where you take it. :)
Good luck
The best is what you make it!

...eh, need a review? Click me!

14 Reviews

Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:04 am
TurquoiseRoses says...

Hello. So here's just my two cents. :D

So, first thing I would like to comment on is your sentence structure. It gets a little repetitive, since quite a number of your sentences start with a "verb-ing." You can see this in your first three sentences and throughout the piece. Using the same sentence type can get boring for your reader, so I would just try to mix it up a bit, play around with the the order of your words. I think it will add interest and really improve what you have here. I did notice that in places your word choice was slightly repetitive, as well. I think a through read through and a little reworking would really help with both issues.

My other bit of advice has to do with your characters. Obviously you have two very different characters within the same body. On one hand, you have a stone cold assassin who appears to have no regard for human life, on the other, you have an average joe type who seems rather optimistic. Woah! That's a big difference. However, when I read your piece, I didn't find your character voices to be distinct as I wanted them to be. These are two people who seem to be polar opposites. I think it would helped if you showcased that in with their different attitudes, decisions, thoughts, and reactions to the same events. However, I really like the premise you have here, it has a the potential for alot of conflict and interest. Great idea! :D

For example, when the assassin gets on the plane he is likely to notice the small things, like a fly buzzing in near a window close by, or the suspicious character in black sunglasses in seat 24A. He might take note of the number of cameras within the plane, or the various people milling about on the tarmac. He will do this because he wants to make sure his plan goes off without a hitch, and because assassins, or whoever this guy is, are normally trained to do so. Also, his attitude towards his environment should also come out in your descriptions. Does the couple, in making doey eyes at each other, in row eighteen disgust him, revealing his distaste for human emotions, or does he feel sorry for them, knowing they will have to die, revealing his compassionate side? You could then contrast this with your average Joe. What does he think of people on the plane, what does notice? The answers will likely be very different from the assassin.

You want all of your characters to have a very distinct voice. Often that means switching your tone, word choice, and sentence structure as you switch POV. So experiment a little bit, try out different things, get to know your characters. For me, it helps if I create a character back story for my personal reference. What makes each of them tick? What are their different goals? How did they become the people they are? It can help you create a POV that makes your character come alive for you reader.

So all this brings me to a issue I saw with this piece, when "Average Joe" is exiting the plane. Not only does he run to the gaping hole, but he miraculously knows how to use a parachute. I am more of an "Average Jane" myself, and my gut reaction would be to run as far as possible from that hole, that danger. And I certainly don't know how to use a parachute. Unless your average Joe has some special training within his history, I figure he would be the same way. That is what I mean by a distinct reaction, while the assassin might run to the gaping hole, would the average Joe? I don't think so. If you would like, you can still have average Joe leave the plane with the girl, but you might have him run away from the hole first, until he's forced out of it by some event. You can also work it, so by happenstance or opportunity, he manages to take the girl with him. Then, you could have him struggling to open the parachute, pulling at straps that lead nowhere, until at the last second he manages to pull the right cord. It will not only increase the tension within the scene, but also give your average Joe a distinct voice, way different from that of the assassin.

So now, some smaller things.

I think it would help if you injected some more emotion/tension into the piece. Its main focus, rightfully so, is what the MC is doing, but mentioning the environment around him can really add to it. For example, I would show the explosion to your readers more. The way metal tore from metal, the smoke, and the sound. Then I might show the reaction. Are people screaming? Are loud noises coming from the cockpit? What does all that sound like? etc. This will really help the emotional impact of the piece.

Continuing with the conversation we talked about our past travels and experiences. Looking down at my wrist to check the time I realized that I had left my watch back at my seat.

This is a golden opportunity for you to deepen both your average Joe character and the girl, don't pass it up. Plus, this conversation would be interesting to your readers. She is the daughter of a gun-dealer who has been ordered to be killed! Your readers are asking why she has to die. Does she know about her dad's business, or was she sincere in her earlier comment? You do not have to answer these questions within the dialogue, actually it would be better if you didn't, it increases the suspense. However, by writing a longer dialogue between these two can establish the girl's attitude and tone. Is she shifty? Does she brush off his questions? Or she engaging? kind? It can also establish how observant your average Joe is, does he take her answers and actions at face value because he is naive, or does he delve deeper? etc.

Just one last thing,

How did this assassin get through airport security with all this stuff? I mean I know he is an assassin, but with security so tight these days... you may or may not want to address that for your reader.

Well that's it! Hoped it helped. If you have any questions, or would like to talk further, always feel free to PM me, and I really mean that. :D Keep Writing!

-Turquoise
Last edited by TurquoiseRoses on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:59 pm
Onyxsky7 says...

Split personality disorder, definitely made for an interesting plot I have to say.
If I were to nitpick about anything it would be your word choice in certain places
If I ever meet the guy that set up this airport I’ll see to it that he gets what he deserves

for example. Saying something like "If I ever met the guy that built this airport I'd see to it that he got what he deserved," is probably what you wanted to say. Notice that I also changed the tense of the sentence from the present to the future. You seemed
to go back and forth between the present and the future tense for some reason
Who makes(present) the frames for the doors that small? It doesn't matter though; I think I’ll be(present) fine anyway.

Adjusting my glasses I walked(future) out of the restroom and made my way down the terminal

see what I mean, this was probably just a simple mistake but I thought i'd point it out.
Overall though I found it very interesting read,

OS7

14 Reviews

Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:48 am
Hiadel says...

Thanks so much for the amazing feedback! I really appreciate it all so far!
Writing is the magical release of emotion from your fingertips. Why on earth do people wish to be wizards when you have writing!

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.
— Eric Hoffer