z

Young Writers Society

War of 2201: New Crew of Eden (3)

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:34 pm
TheGreatIthy says...

This is the third chapter in the War of 2201 short story series! While the first 2 start the series off with a bang (literally) this one slows it down a bit to start off the actual plotline.

April 20, 2210

Turns out that we may have single handedly saved the entire population of Prime with our little ‘attack’ on the Ithian base nine days ago. Our new prisoner – yes, Lyn decided to keep him and his name is Pat. I tried to argue. She punched me. – well, he told us that the base we were on held over half of the Ithian army who were all getting ready for an large scale, war ending invasion on Prime. We took out a good portion of that army and the base itself, so Lyn estimates that we personally sent them all back a few years giving Prime ample time and an opportunity for an attack.

I asked if Lyn wanted to go back to tell them and to bring the prisoner. I was even willing to bring them if I was paid.

“Well,” she said, “I don’t ever plan on going back. I never liked fighting for the Galactic Alliance anyways.”

“What do you plan on doing, then?” I asked.

“Staying here and helping you. Pat can help too.”

“That’s not an option. If you want to help, either leave me or give me some money. Plus, the prisoner doesn’t want to help. He’ll be a liability.”

“A crew needs more than two people.” Lyn said as she went to get a coffee.

“Three doesn’t make a good one either.” I said already sipping on my eighth cup. I had a little bit of a caffeine addiction. It helps me stay awake on long trips when I can’t afford to sleep.

“Can I talk?” Pat cut in. He was sitting, tied to a chair in my kitchen along with me and Lyn.

“No!” I said.

“Don’t be cruel.” Lyn said.

“Why does he have to be here, anyways? He should have no say in this matter.”

“He’s here so I can keep an eye on him.”

“There!” I said slapping the table in frustration, “You admit it! You don’t trust him!”

“I don’t trust you. If he was still with the cargo, you could eject him into space.”

“I wouldn’t. Waste of good cargo.”

“Can I talk?” Pat asked again.

“I said no, prisoner!”

“No, let him talk,” Lyn said, “he’s a part of our crew.”

“No he isn’t!” I yelled, “We’re leaving him on the next planet. Livable atmosphere or not.” With that, I walked out.

The next planet was a few days away, and Lyn knew that. She used that time to let me cool down before coming to find me. I was in the bridge, like I always am when I’m not in the kitchen getting myself some more coffee or food.

“How are you doing, uhh... I wanna say Dick.”

“Vick,” I said, “And I’m fine. How’s prisoner?”

“Pat? He’s holding up. Fairly well, actually.”

“Well, tell him it’s his lucky day. The next planet has a settlement. He won’t die, unless he’s recognized by the resistance as an Ithian.”

“Why are you against having him?”

“He tried to kill us!”

“Vick, listen.” I turned to look at her. She had changed out of her resistance disguise and into a plain red tank top and black pants. Her black hair was clean and pulled back into a pony tail. She looked stunning. She regarded me with her dark brown eyes, “Pat told me that it was his mission to guard the money. He may not want to be with us, but he can’t go back now. The money is gone, and he’ll be killed. We are his safety.”

“Until he finds someone else.”

“Vick,” she said softly, “I know you aren’t evil. We passed the nearest planet yesterday and it had no atmosphere whatsoever and you didn’t throw him out. Just give him a chance. Please.”

“Fine,” I said after taking a deep breath, “he can stay for a little while. As long as he’s useful. If he tries anything, I’m throwing him into space. No more chances.”

“Good.”

“Good!? You should be thanking me! It’s my ship!”

“Believe what you will,” Lyn said getting up, “but it’s my mission. A mission that requires knowledge from all sides of this war.”

“What? What mission!?”

“You’ll see.” She smiled and ran out presumably to tell Pat about me giving in.

“What the fuck?” I muttered and went back to my ship. At least Eden knew who was in charge.

April 25, 2210

We did end up landing on the next settlement, but it was so I could refuel and sell off weapons and maybe get a new contract, not to drop off the ‘unwanted cargo’. Pat argued to keep the weapons, but I told him that I couldn’t afford to do so. If the money hadn’t been destroyed, we wouldn’t have to do that.

The settlement was named Terra and was filled primarily with resistance from Earth. They had lost a lot when they had to evacuate and could always use weapons to defend themselves from their attackers. Problem is that they don’t have much money either. Terra is usually a settlement I use as a last resort when I am running low on money, but I always trade for their cheap fuel.

“You said you use them when you are desperate,” Lyn said, “why are you desperate?”

“Competition is pushing me out. That money was supposed to be for my retirement. This is my last resort.”

“Who’s the competition?” Pat asked.

“I don’t know who exactly. I don’t have the resources or the patience to find out. Let them continue the war effort. I’m not needed anymore. I’m old school.”

“You’re giving up? Where’s the fun in that?”

“I tried to fight it. But Eden is getting old. And she’s slow compared to the new ships out there. Now, let me do the talking. I know these people.” I opened the doors and walked out into the settlement. It was a small settlement in a red-sanded desert-like climate. They got their water from trade mainly, but they were rich in fuel. That was why it was so cheap for me.

I paid a man at the refueling station who then started to refuel Eden and then I led Pat and Lyn to the trading post. The buildings were all the same, made out of red clay that blended into the surrounding environment. The only difference between all of the clay buildings were the signs out in front that distinguished their individual businesses. Luckily, I knew my way around and I wove expertly around to the trading post. I led Pat and Lyn inside.

“Vick, welcome!”

“Hey, Matt.” I walked inside and approached Matt’s red clay desk. The inside of the trading post was similar to its outside in make-up. It was all red clay that kept the heat out well, yet it showed signs of a hasty construction.

“Do you have any weapons for us this visit?”

“Yup. Deadbeat burnt my money.” Matt laughed. He was a large man. Some would call him fat, but he would say pleasantly plump. That was the way he was. Always happy, and I liked him because of it.

“Who are your friends? New crew?”

“Yes!” Lyn said before I could answer, “I’m Captain Lyn and this is Pat.” She held out her hand and Matt laughed as he took it.

“Something tells me that Vick fought this all the way.”

“I did. I still am.” I said and he laughed. I couldn’t help but smile too.

“I offered him enough money for retirement.” Lyn said. I looked at her. This was new information.

“Major deal?” Matt asked.

“I guess you could say that. We plan on ending the war.”

“Oh-ho!” Matt laughed, “Well, good luck then! Oh, Vick.” His voice lowered so only we could hear, “Did you hear about what happened on Earth a few days ago?”

“What about it?” I lied. I knew exactly what he was talking about, but I wanted to know what he had heard.

“I heard that two people from the resistance single handedly put off a Prime invasion from the Ithians by at least three years.”

“How did you find that out?” Pat asked.

“Matt has access to really good information.” I said, “Not even I know how he gets it.”

“And I won’t tell you.” Matt said pleasantly, “No offense, Pat.”

“Uhh, sure.”

“Tell you what! Because I’m glad Vick has found a new crew, especially after what happened with Elson. Sad stuff. Well, because of that, I’m going to take the weapons for double the norm.”

“Wow.” I said, “Thanks!”

“No problem.”

“Wait,” Lyn said, “How did you get the extra money.”

“Sorry, dear. Confidential.” Lyn wanted to say more, but I pushed her back.

“Thanks again, Matt.” I said.

“It’s like I said. Not every person is like Elson.” He directed this next comment at Lyn, “A little trust can’t hurt ya.”

April 26, 2210

After the refueling and the unloading were done, I took Eden back up to orbit and then went down to the kitchen where Lyn was holding a ‘team meeting’. She and Pat were sitting with Lyn holding a coffee and Pat eating a chocolate bar as I arrived. I poured myself a cup of coffee and joined them.

“I think,” Lyn started as I sat down, “it’s about time that I told you my master plan for ending the war.”

“Do we have a choice?” I asked.

“If you want to stay on this ship, you will join me.”

“It’s my ship!”

“Not anymore. As captain, I assume control.”

“Who says you’re captain!?”

“If it wasn’t for me, you’d be dead.”

“If it wasn’t for you, I’d not be in this mess! Eden has one captain and it’s not you!”

“Where is he, then?” Lyn was looking straight at me. Pat was all but forgotten in our exchange. But with that last argument, she hit hard. I backed off.

“He’s… Not here now.” I said slowly. Lyn softened up a bit to this. She knew how hard she hit.

“Well, hear me out before you decide, okay? I willing to assume temporary control until such a time that he returns.”

“Fine. I’ll listen to your details of a suicide mission.”

“Pat?”

“I’m interested,” Pat said quietly, “As long as I can stay.”

“No promises.” I said.

“Good. Then I will assume temporary leadership of the New Crew of Eden. Here’s my plan.”

The self-employed ‘captain’ Lyn has now been classified as crazy by me. Much like my old captain, she has a big picture vision that will create fame and fortune for us in the long run, but involves an overall suicide mission. This is it: First, cripple the Ithians by taking out key figures. Then take complete control as new spiritual leaders of the now crippled Ithian army and then blackmail the Galactic Alliance. In exchange for credit for ending the war and enough money to live comfortably for the rest of our lives, we will surrender the Ithian army to them and effectively end the bloodshed.

Our first target in this plan would be Io’s right hand, the fire woman named Lisa. That would hopefully draw Io out into the open and we could get our shot at him. Simple theory, but we have two sides to deal with and only a few years to do it. Maybe even less if the Galactic Alliance decides to end the war before us. On top of that, they will see us as enemy resistance and therefore shoot us on sight while the Ithians won’t like us attacking them very much. Lyn will try to keep an eye on the movements of the Galactic Alliance, I will try to get the resistance to cover our movements while Pat will use his knowledge of the Ithians to tell us where best to attack.

The plan was solid in theory, but there was a 90% chance that we will fail or die or even worse in the process. With that in mind, why did I ever agree to this bullshit?
Last edited by TheGreatIthy on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bees: They sting because they love!!

Will review for food!

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:56 pm
Torigirl15 says...

Needs a little work using synonyms, you seem to use the same word to describe things, and that can get annoying.
I like where this is going, but i was a little confused about whether the mc is male or female. i actually thought up until this chapter the mc was female, but now i don't know.
Keep writing!

-Tori
Xx This side of mortality is
scaring me to death
to death xX

-The Temper Trap: Soldier On

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:04 pm
TheGreatIthy says...

He's a man. And don't worry, if you don't know, then maybe others won't either. Maybe it's my fault and I didn't make it clear enough. I'll go through the stories and see if I can fix that.
Bees: They sting because they love!!

Will review for food!

Sometimes I'm terrified of my heart; of its constant hunger for whatever it is it wants. The way it stops and starts.
— Poe