z

Young Writers Society

I never like my name

216 Reviews

Reviews: 216
Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:55 pm
asxz says...

I like this. I knew exactly what was coming, but yet my eyes widened as he shot Luke. It was a surprise. All the time I suppose I had been thinking he would just terrorise. Great work!

The only thing i think was a little off was the opening paragraph. I did like the 'after today, we will have another thing in common' part. that was cool! But th rest of it sounds a little stiff, like he is a kid learning English as a second language, and he doesn't know how to flow properly.
Don't take that as an insult! I just think it should be something like;

I never liked my name. What kind of a kid wants to be called Edmund? I think I was named after my Grandfather, Edmund Roberts. He got a bullet to the chest in the World War or something, but that hardly makes it a good name. He killed lots of people and I know that, after today, this is another thing we have in common.

Because it runs better? I don't know why, but when I first read it, I thought it said 'we will have both been killed' and so I thought the wording could be made clearer.

Excellent story, and I hope you continue it!
::XoX::KeepWriting::XoX::

GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Writing is 3% talent and 97% not being distracted by the internet

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:46 am
MoonTitanZan says...

Odd title to go with an odd story. I love stories that can underexadurate something, and you did that very well. Great idea, great narration. I won't bother going into anything grammical, the other reviews have got it, but I will say a few more things about why your story catches my attention as a reader.
For one, the title. It's so informal, and when I started reading it, I thought I was still reading your introduction to the piece. It's very smooth, and while a reader might be thrown off by the fact that the title doesn't seem very professional or catchy, its very easy to read this story once you start.
You use the first person narration very well and keep the story somwhat smooth throughout, and you have to; when I saw how small the story was, I thought there was no way it could be as involving as it was.
The idea itself was very strong and left allot to the reader to think about. The fact that he killed the bullies is something that will get the readers to think, whether or not you push them towards it. The story has a underworded type of feel, for there is allot of things happening, but not much explaination, so the reader's imagination can just go wild.
Another thing is that almost everyone has been bulied at one point, so the subject of the story will hit hard with the majority of your readers, which is exactly what you want.
Finally, I'd like to add that the casualness of first person makes this story very approachable, and the story wouldn't work with any other point of view, so good job on deciding on first person and using it well.
Overall, a very intelligent, approachable piece that touches on a very strong subject and leaves the reader with lots of thoughts. Great job! Keep writing :D
The Moon Titan is watching. He's always watching. So watch what you say, or you might just disappear.

Random avatar

Reviews: 34
Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:43 am
TDMitchell says...

Very, very dark, retrodisco666. Very dark indeed, and I enjoy every word of it.
We had an assembly at twelve fifteen, I would do it then.

That was the line that had me on the edge of my seat, just waiting to see what happens. You’ve built up the tension well with this and you’ve kept the whole piece very tidy.

The ending - simple and somewhat comical: he killed many people just because he didn’t like his name. There’s gotta be something wrong with me to find that amusing.

Wouldn’t mind seeing this as a movie. Could be the next Elephant by Gus Van Sant. Very well done. :)

[as a roleplayer is feeling sad about torturing her characters] GrandWild: "You're a writer, dear. Embrace it."
— GrandWild