Young Writers Society

The Pain of Glass

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:58 pm
Rydia says...

The Pain of Glass

Glass crunched under foot as Anthony Parish stalked toward what used to be his window. He wasn't taking any chances. If they... if they were going to be coming up here, throwing things through his window then let them try it. Crunch, crunch.

“Tha's righ', der aint no glass! No glass... no... glash.” Tony knew he was wasted and he could vaguely recall that he liked being wasted because it stopped him thinking whatever thoughts it was that he didn't like to be thinking. But man, was it really worth the headaches? Sober Tony seemed to think so. Anthony could feel his glasses slipping off his nose. He looked down to follow their descent and then he leaned forward to follow it more closely. The glasses slid away from his face as if repulsed by the dark, curled moustache congealed with alcohol. I must admit when first I found myself confronted with that face, I considered jumping out the window too. The glasses hit the pavement. Tony leaned further forward still.

“Jus' a li'le cracked,” he crooned, squinting over the edge. It wasn't long before his body stumbled through the empty pane and his glasses were flattened beyond repair. It wasn't that Tony had a particularly bulky body but falling sixteen feet out of a window will do that to a pair of poor, defenceless glasses.

Smudged finger-prints in the condensation showed where Tony's hand had rested a moment earlier but he didn't feel comfortable getting that close to the glass anymore. Or a drinking glass or a mirror glass or... well any glass. It was all bad. For one month, three days and nine hours Anthony Parish had stayed away from alcohol. The reflection in the pane said it had been an agonising experience. Tony had a flat and haggard face that gave the impression of having been crushed against a brick wall at birth. A more spiteful man might have said it was a warning to Tony not to go falling out of any windows. Too bad he didn't listen. Beyond the reflection, Anthony Parish was getting his first look at me.

I stepped out of the police car and un-tucked my grubby, off-white shirt from the old pair of jeans I was wearing. I'd got them specially from a charity shop for that worn, lived-in appearance. They'd cost me all of five pounds. The trainers were free: I found those by a dumpster. Tony opened up on the first knock. I didn't like what I saw. He was a hairy sort of guy from the dark, tufted curls on his head to the black worms wriggling across his arms, coiled about his knuckles. It was awful. His finger-nails were filthy: cracked and broken, infested with maggots. His sinister moustache drooped as if even it were disappointed by what Tony saw. That's how little he thought of me. I decided then that I had to prove myself to him. Couldn't say why. He had that sort of effect on people, that compelling disregard for the fact that he was a washed-up has been.

“I'm Colin Everwood,” I announced gleefully, sticking my hand out like a wet-behind-the-ears rookie. Anthony ignored it.

“Tony Parish,” he said in a deep, tenor voice. “We'll take my car.” He was wearing a grey suit with a pinstripe tie and a set of tiny, silver cuff links. Crescent moons. Or so I recall. It's bloody stupid what you remember when... you know. Like the songs that were playing on the way down. Johnny Cash. Man, could he play the blues. I half expected Parish to sing along but he just tapped his short, stubby fingers a few times on that steering wheel. He didn't wear a seat-belt. I pretended not to notice. We didn't hold much conversation, the way I see it is a conversation requires two participants and the only one talking was me. I hope you don't mind if I spare myself the humiliating details.

It was a little house squashed between the other little houses. Nothing special about it except maybe the broken drain-pipe and the scratches in the white paint of the door. Tony made short work of the path, eating it up with his confident swagger, hands clasped behind his back and his body rocking back and forth.

“I'll do the talking,” he said. I should have cut him off then and asserted my authority early on but I was very much in awe of Anthony Parish, one time police officer and short term alcoholic. Still. It was my job to keep an eye on him and I really screwed that up. I'll hold my hands up to that, no shame in being honest.

The woman who opened the door was thirty-six year old taxi driver, Erin Claude. Erin was a red head. She had these long nails painted in alternating black and orange and the sort of make-up I associated with the worst members of the fairer sex. She had dark, liquid eyes and blackened lips with Gothic spirals hanging under her silver frames. She was wearing a black top with long, opaque sleeves and a pair of denim shorts over purple tights.

“We're here for the Alcoholics Anonymous meeting,” I explained awkwardly as she led us into the next room. I stared at the walls. They'd been painted with sweets. There were cupcakes and lollipops, sugar mice and parma violets. I wondered if I might find one of the other rooms decorated with bottles of alcohol.

“Take a seat,” Erin invited. I took a look at the ring of 'chairs' and frowned in distaste. There were two fat ladies in rocking chairs, a shrivelled old man in a leather arm chair, Erin on her little, brown stool, a deck chair with a red and white cover, an over-turned plastic bin and a bed. Parish and I both opted for the bed. A mistake on my part. Parish was grinning, the first smile I'd seen from him and while I tried to fathom where it had come from or why, he introduced us.

“I go by the name of Tony Brewer and this is my partner Rhee Tarde.” His hand was uncomfortably firm as he squeezed my knee. The oaf! I had begun to think he didn't own a sense of humour but now he proved me wrong. Or maybe until that moment he hadn't. Maybe it was his final hand, hurled down in an act of desperation.

“Rhee-” One of the women in the rocking chairs looked contemptuously at me, her expression mirrored perfectly by the other beside her. They were both huge, pudgy women who probably attended weight watchers together in much the same manor. I expected they'd sit and bicker, maybe gossip. I wasn't to be disappointed.

“It's Rhys actually,” I negotiated. The women turned to each other and discussed this in hooting tones.

“Well I never-”

“Tarde he says, Mr. Rhys Tarde.”

“Partners! Well I never-”

“Twice his age, surely, twice his age.”

“And did you hear about Mrs Taylor?”

“Mrs Taylor? No, what's that story?”

“Well they say...” And I'll never know what it is they say because Erin chose that moment to cough very loudly. Very, very loudly. Five heads turned to look at her.

“Well then. I had hopefully expected a greater abundance of lovely people to attend – but – if this is our lot, poppets, I suppose we'd jollily better make do. I took the casual liberty of going and creating us some little – I dare say harmless – ground rules, I hope you don't terribly mind very much.” And if you found that any easier to follow than me you must be barmy. She certainly was. A nutter, crack-job. A big fat liar too. I'll tell you something about Erin Claude, turned out she wasn't an alcoholic at all, fancy that eh? Bloody women.

“Here you go then my dears, read them through, quickly now and if we haven't any silly questions, why don't we get on with some pleasant introductions? Let's start with you, flower.” She was talking to me.

“Uh... hello, yes, good to meet you – all of you. I'm Rhys Tarde, twenty-seven and I'm an alcoholic.” Good one huh? And I'd thought myself well prepared. Idiot.

“Tut, tut. Rule number seven Rhys, I really do wish you would all kindly read the rules most carefully. We don't use that word here, now how about you tell us how you started... drinking. We'd sure be thrilled to hear.” The old man was nodding off but the two ladies managed to look enthusiastic enough and Tony flashed his teeth at me.

“Go on dear, tell them about it.” But without giving me a chance to say anything, Parish addressed the rest of the group. “It was before I met him, when he was just a spring pup. He got involved with the wrong crowd, like two peas in a pod.” Tony crushed my body toward him and rubbed my head with his knuckles. I forced a smile but wanted nothing better than to screw him over. Except I wasn't qualified for that. I was too much of a wimp to even threaten him with a bad report at this stage. That was all going to change.

“Well isn't that nice? It's going to be so lovely to participate in such a wonderful group of challenged individuals, I'm very certain we'll all be able to help each other up. Oh wakey, wakey, poppet. You're up next.” The old man opened his eyes a little wider and sat further forward on his chair. He was holding an old walking stick in one hand and I remember thinking it was almost as battered as him.

“My name'sh George Tanner and I shtarted drinking when... when my wife died. Alice died of a heart attack, God blesh her.” George was a gaunt, wily old man with a few tufts of grey hair on his head and a dot-to-dot of liver spots. He wore grey trousers high on his waist and a thread-bare blue shirt. This small introduction was all George could manage at that first meeting and it put a downer on the whole evening for me but Tony seemed to enjoy himself. I withdrew from the conversation at the first possible opportunity and set my mind to wondering how it was that Dawn and Violet could find fashionable heels to squeeze their pudgy ankles into.

It was the seventh of these weekly meetings that Anthony called me in advance. He chuckled to himself as he waited for me to answer, glugged another quarter canteen of the good old Jack. He was wearing his usual suit with the tie slackened and the shirt un-tucked. The cuff links were missing.

“Hello!” My voice wriggled happily out of the receiver and you could just hear the smile tagged on the end, right beside that exclamation mark.

“Hey, look, you think we could go separate this week?” Tony asked. It went against the agreement he made with the courts but I thought what the hell, Parish was a decent guy.

“Are you breaking up with me?” I couldn't quite reach the right note of undignified distress but I gave it a damn good shot. Already, Tony was changing me and the bastard had set me up. He chuckled and there was a short pause before he said:

“Yeah, that's a good idea. I'll see you at the meeting.” Tony hung up and finished his drink. Oblivious to all this, your strapping young narrator, dressed in his latest ensemble of the working man's clothes (somewhere between chimney sweep and pirate) set off walking down the lane.

Parish was late. I talked awkwardly with George Tanner who every now and then would rap me on the leg with his walking stick. I wasn't sure if it was excitement in his eyes, or a vindictive desire to see my legs end up in the same sorry arse state as his.

“Did I tell yoush about my trainsh yet?” George asked. I shook my head to be polite but this was at least the fourth time hearing about them.

“Gee, thoshe were the good old daysh eh? I wash a train driver in – oh, it would have been about sheventy yearsh ago, of courshe they all ran on shteam in them daysh.” How fascinating. I was greatly relieved when the front door was thrown open and Tony came stumbling into the room. More of his antics. I shook my head in amusement but that turned to a frown as I started to realise he was drunk.

“It's over!” Tony roared. Even now I'm not sure what he referred to: our relationship; sobriety; life?

“Poppet, have we been having ourselves a little of the forbidden fruit?” Erin sounded worried. I was more disappointed and I could feel my heart sinking as the pieces dropped into place.

“Darling. A word.” My tone was colder than ice. Tony seemed to find this amusing.

“Why certainly, which one would you like? I know a whole tonne of words.” His eyes gleamed with an insanity that wasn't caused by the drink and even then I was thinking selfish thoughts. I was thinking how fucking screwed I was and wondering if they'd take away my badge.

“Outside!” I snapped, pushing him toward the door. He didn't make it easy and once outside, I was disgusted to see the twin faces of Dawn and Violet pressed up against the window. Vultures.

“Why?” It had to be asked.

“That's your problem, that is. You're... you're always asking all the wrong questions.”

“You're an arsehole you know. Not many people get a second chance like this but oh no, you're above it all aren't you, the rules don't apply to you because you think you're so bloody clever with your witty quips and your fancy, Nancy suit-”

“What's wrong with my suit, I think this is a very nice suit, came all the way-”

“Stop it! You're... you're not even drunk are you?”

“Not very much so,” Tony admitted. He deflated like a popped balloon and we stood facing each other, standing on new ground. It didn't feel like a fight to me. It felt like goodbye.

“Why?” I asked again.

“People die, Colin. Every day.”

“But why?” Tony sucked air in through his teeth and then let it all out again. He tried another tact.

“What did you know about me, when they put you on my case?”

“The important stuff.” I shrugged, trying to bring to mind that first impression of him but the second kept getting in the way. The hairy arms, the dirty finger nails and that horrid moustache. “You were big. A legend. People requested transfers to your department just for a chance at being your next partner.” I expected a cocky grin or even a boastful agreement but the nod he gave was slow and humble. I tried to rouse him to his senses: “Looks like I got lucky huh?” I winked and grinned, elbowing him gently. If he wasn't really drunk then this would work out just fine. Or so I tried to tell myself. If he wasn't really drunk, he wasn't breaking court orders and if he wasn't really drunk, I hadn't failed in my capacity as his custodian.

“I had a lot of partners. Think it over. The police force isn't a pretty place to be. They tell you it's all about honour and duty but look, look at us! A right pair of poor sods aren't we? You're stuck tailing around after a cynical, old man and I... I...”

“You got stuck with me? Is that it huh? Well screw you!” I wish I hadn't left it like that but I turned my back on him and stomped through the house.

“Rhys, is everything okay with Tony? It sounded like you were having a horrible row out there!” Dawn tried to pet my arm but I smacked her hand away. The sound of Parish singing in the garden boiled my blood.

“It's Colin!” I shouted. “Not Rhys, not Tarde and it never has been. Colin Everwood. Always! And you-” I turned to Erin who was mopping at her eyes with a handkerchief and trying very hard to hide behind a mug of tea.

“Well how rude.”

“Yes, very. I expect he's been drinking too.” Violet sniffed, sticking her pert nose up in the air.

“You can stuff your bloody stupid social club. I don't work as a male stripper, I'm not gay and I'm most certainly not an alcoholic!”

“I liked him better when he was Rhys.”

“Oh yes, much better. Colin's such an ugly name.”

“I had a friend called Colin once and you'll never guess what he got up to with the neighbour's dog.”

“Oh?”

“Shut up, just... just clam down! Please. Can't you all be quiet? I... I have something to say.” Erin said it quietly, in a shaky tone. The unexpected uncertainty of her voice was what made me listen and though I wasn't calm, I was done shouting.

“Sorry,” I said. I didn't mean it.

“I'm not an alcoholic either.” Erin held her breath, her cheeks blushing red. “It's okay, Rhys. Uh... Colin. I understand. Sometimes... you just feel so lonely and it's so easy-” I threw my arms up with a loud groan. I couldn't stand to be in their company any longer.

“Look. Colin Everwood, officer of the law!” I pulled my badge out of my pocket and shook it in front of her glasses. I thought that would stun them into silence and it worked for a moment but even as I turned my back on their amazed expressions, Dawn and Violet started off again. I slammed the door hard.

The first time his number appeared on my screen I ignored it but when my phone started ringing again an hour later I picked up.

“What do you want?” I sounded more sulky than harsh.

“Is this... Rhee?” The voice was female and unfamiliar but had that professional tone that sets the heart to pounding.

“No it's not, well... yes it is but- is Tony okay?”

“Your friend has been involved in an accident. He's at the hospital with me now.” And didn't I feel bad. When I got there, it was to discover that accident was the diplomatic term for stepping in front of a moving bus. My superior was there, looking into the case and of course he'd recognised the patient immediately. But that wasn't why I'd been called. Tony didn't have any I.D on him, not a scrap but in his phone Rhee was listed as the sole contact. They let me sit by his bed. My superior came and stood behind me. He said he wanted a word with me. I threw my badge at him and watched Parish slip away. I waited for him to wake up one last time, had all the words planned out. I'd open by saying what a sight he looked and he'd laugh and insult me back and I'd tell him how sorry I was. Tony died.

It takes a great man to let someone else have the last word. I wish it could have been goodbye.

I'd really like to lengthen this, fill the gaps in so to speak as it's a little rushed and I was limited to 3300 words at the time. But before I do that, I was wondering if I could have some general feedback? Hardcore reviews are certainly welcome as well, but even just a paragraph about your thoughts on the characters, plot, ending would be great. Thanks xx
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

287 Reviews

Reviews: 287
Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:18 am
Moriah Leila says...

Well, I really liked this story, the characters were so interesting. I think my favorites were Violet and Dawn. You did such a marvelous job describing all of the other characters, but never bothered to describe the protagonist which I found a bit odd. Also the very beginning of the story was a bit hard to follow, I wasn't entirely sure what was happening. Who fell out of the window? Wouldn't some serious injuries be sustained if you fell sixteen feet?

Sober Tony seemed to think so. Anthony could feel his glasses slipping off his nose.

This is another thing that confused me. At first I thought this character had multiple personalities or something. I would just stick to calling Tony, Tony. Since that seems to be the name he prefers to be called there is no need to tell us that his given name is Anthony. That will eliminate a lot of confusion for the reader as well.

I definitely would like it if you could flesh out Collin and Tony's relationship. That way when Tony dies, it feels a bit more personal. Hopefully this is helpful and if you have any questions let me know. I'm glad that you tried your hand at something other than poetry, you certainly have the talent for it. Keep it up!
I am not addicted to reading, I can quit as soon as I finish one more chapter.

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:21 pm
seeminglymeaningless says...

Hey Kitty :3 Jai here, one of the Four Musketeers.

The glasses slid away from his face as if repulsed by the dark, curled moustache congealed with alcohol.

lol. While I love this sentence, I don't know if alcohol can congeal.

I must admit when first I found myself confronted with that face, I considered jumping out the window too.

Woah, sudden character introduction? In the beginning you wrote from the point of view of Tony, with his thoughts. If you're writing from the first person point of view of someone else, they would definitely not know what Tony was thinking.

The glasses hit the pavement. Tony leaned further forward still.

“Jus' a li'le cracked,” he crooned, squinting over the edge. It wasn't long before his body stumbled through the empty pane and his glasses were flattened beyond repair. It wasn't that Tony had a particularly bulky body but falling sixteen feet out of a window will do that to a pair of poor, defenceless glasses.

This whole part confused me. I had to read this literally three times to understand. I thought that Tony was outside and was looking up at his bedroom window. Then his glasses fell onto the pavement. And Tony leaned in close. And then fell through his window. Very odd. I'm not quite sure how you can fix this, but I had serious problems reading the beginning and trying to picture everything in my mind.

Smudged finger-prints in the condensation showed where Tony's hand had rested a moment earlier but he didn't feel comfortable getting that close to the glass anymore. Or a drinking glass or a mirror glass or... well any glass. It was all bad. For one month, three days and nine hours Anthony Parish had stayed away from alcohol. The reflection in the pane said it had been an agonising experience. Tony had a flat and haggard face that gave the impression of having been crushed against a brick wall at birth. A more spiteful man might have said it was a warning to Tony not to go falling out of any windows. Too bad he didn't listen. Beyond the reflection, Anthony Parish was getting his first look at me.

See? This doesn't help. I have no idea what you're talking about in the first sentence. First you said that Tony fell through the non-existent window, now you're saying that there is condensation on the window that doesn't exist. The whole "spiteful" comment makes no sense either. How would the police officer know the exact amount of time Tony had not been drinking? Why is Tony high? Is he still high? I'm so confused about this situation. Why didn't anyone hear the glass breaking? Where are the concerned neighbours?

I stepped out of the police car and un-tucked my grubby, off-white shirt from the old pair of jeans I was wearing. I'd got them specially from a charity shop for that worn, lived-in appearance. They'd cost me all of five pounds. The trainers were free: I found those by a dumpster.

Why on earth would someone want to look poor?

Tony opened up on the first knock.

Didn't Tony fall out of the window? I'm starting to think that perhaps that whole above scene was a flashback? I am REALLY confused.

I didn't like what I saw. He was a hairy sort of guy from the dark, tufted curls on his head to the black worms wriggling across his arms, coiled about his knuckles. It was awful. His finger-nails were filthy: cracked and broken, infested with maggots.

Wait, literal black worms and actual maggots?

“Tony Parish,” he said in a deep, tenor voice. “We'll take my car.”

Woah... I'm even more confused. What in the world is going on? It's clear that I'm going to have to read back over this when I'm done.

He was wearing a grey suit with a pinstripe tie and a set of tiny, silver cuff links.

This image completely contradicts the whole "maggot/worms" description.

Crescent moons. Or so I recall. It's bloody stupid what you remember when... you know. Like the songs that were playing on the way down. Johnny Cash. Man, could he play the blues.

Wait, they're in the car already? I am so confused.

It was a little house squashed between the other little houses. Nothing special about it except maybe the broken drain-pipe and the scratches in the white paint of the door. Tony made short work of the path, eating it up with his confident swagger, hands clasped behind his back and his body rocking back and forth.

So he's not high?

She had dark, liquid eyes and blackened lips with Gothic spirals hanging under her silver frames.

You describe the eyes, then her lips, and then her glasses? Or are the silver frames something else? If they are her glasses, you should probably rearrange the sentence a bit.

“Take a seat,” Erin invited. I took a look at the ring of 'chairs' and frowned in distaste. There were two fat ladies in rocking chairs, a shrivelled old man in a leather arm chair, Erin on her little, brown stool, a deck chair with a red and white cover, an over-turned plastic bin and a bed. Parish and I both opted for the bed.

This seems like a really unprofessional AA meeting. Generally the government etc supports these help groups and I'm sure a former police man could have found a better AA group.

“I go by the name of Tony Brewer and this is my partner Rhee Tarde.”

When I read this, I assumed that Tony and Colin were partners on the police force. Not that Tony was pretending they were gay.

“And did you hear about Mrs Taylor?”

“Mrs Taylor? No, what's that story?”

“Well they say...” And I'll never know what it is they say because Erin chose that moment to cough very loudly. Very, very loudly. Five heads turned to look at her.

???????????

It's not good that the reader is so absolutely confused by your story.

And if you found that any easier to follow than me you must be barmy. She certainly was. A nutter, crack-job. A big fat liar too. I'll tell you something about Erin Claude, turned out she wasn't an alcoholic at all, fancy that eh? Bloody women.

I was going to bring this up earlier, but this reminds me of Fight Club.

“Uh... hello, yes, good to meet you – all of you. I'm Rhys Tarde, twenty-seven and I'm an alcoholic.” Good one huh? And I'd thought myself well prepared. Idiot.

Yes, sounding a lot like Fight Club, and I don't know why you'd start a story like this. Throw two characters that the reader doesn't know at all, even remotely, send them packing to a AA meeting that has no coherency, give them different names... you're doing a good job of completely confusing me.

“Tut, tut. Rule number seven Rhys, I really do wish you would all kindly read the rules most carefully. We don't use that word here, now how about you tell us how you started... drinking. We'd sure be thrilled to hear.”

She didn't even hand them the rule books? Your whole story is filled with inconsistencies.

“It was before I met him, when he was just a spring pup. He got involved with the wrong crowd, like two peas in a pod.” Tony crushed my body toward him and rubbed my head with his knuckles. I forced a smile but wanted nothing better than to screw him over. Except I wasn't qualified for that. I was too much of a wimp to even threaten him with a bad report at this stage. That was all going to change.

How can being involved with the wrong crowd mean he was like two peas in a pod? That makes no sense. Also, I just don't understand Colin at all. He's just weird.

He was holding an old walking stick in one hand and I remember thinking it was almost as battered as him.

Why is this written in past tense?

It was the seventh of these weekly meetings that Anthony called me in advance. He chuckled to himself as he waited for me to answer, glugged another quarter canteen of the good old Jack. He was wearing his usual suit with the tie slackened and the shirt un-tucked. The cuff links were missing.

Sudden jump in time with no transaction period shown. Absolutely confusing. Glugged isn't a word. And what is Jack? Not everyone drinks. I assume Jack Daniels, but there are far cheaper drinks of an alcoholic.

“Hello!” My voice wriggled happily out of the receiver and you could just hear the smile tagged on the end, right beside that exclamation mark.

“Hey, look, you think we could go separate this week?” Tony asked. It went against the agreement he made with the courts but I thought what the hell, Parish was a decent guy.

“Are you breaking up with me?”

I'm absolutely confused with this. And I'm starting to think that maybe one of them is imaginary or something.

Already, Tony was changing me and the bastard had set me up.

Fight club.

Oblivious to all this, your strapping young narrator, dressed in his latest ensemble of the working man's clothes (somewhere between chimney sweep and pirate) set off walking down the lane.

I don't think it's wise to draw attention to the fact that this story is being told.

I was thinking how fucking screwed I was and wondering if they'd take away my badge.

What in the world is going on? Since when are people assigned police officers to attend alcoholics to AA meetings?

“What did you know about me, when they put you on my case?”

“The important stuff.” I shrugged, trying to bring to mind that first impression of him but the second kept getting in the way. The hairy arms, the dirty finger nails and that horrid moustache. “You were big. A legend. People requested transfers to your department just for a chance at being your next partner.” I expected a cocky grin or even a boastful agreement but the nod he gave was slow and humble.

THIS. This is how you should have started. Everything before this was lame. And by lame I mean absolutely confusing. These one paragraph and line of dialogue sets the story, explains everything. This is the best part yet.

“I'm not an alcoholic either.” Erin held her breath, her cheeks blushing red. “It's okay, Rhys. Uh... Colin. I understand. Sometimes... you just feel so lonely and it's so easy-” I threw my arms up with a loud groan. I couldn't stand to be in their company any longer.

I don't even know why you bothered with these other random characters. I don't like them, I felt nothing for them. I want to read about Colin and Parish. I don't care about two-bit characters who just ramble on about crap.

The first time his number appeared on my screen I ignored it but when my phone started ringing again an hour later I picked up.

You really need to work on your transition scenes.

Why would he automatically assume something was wrong?

“Your friend has been involved in an accident. He's at the hospital with me now.” And didn't I feel bad. When I got there, it was to discover that accident was the diplomatic term for stepping in front of a moving bus. My superior was there, looking into the case and of course he'd recognised the patient immediately. But that wasn't why I'd been called. Tony didn't have any I.D on him, not a scrap but in his phone Rhee was listed as the sole contact. They let me sit by his bed. My superior came and stood behind me. He said he wanted a word with me. I threw my badge at him and watched Parish slip away. I waited for him to wake up one last time, had all the words planned out. I'd open by saying what a sight he looked and he'd laugh and insult me back and I'd tell him how sorry I was. Tony died.

It takes a great man to let someone else have the last word. I wish it could have been goodbye.

This is also confusing. Why would Colin quit his job because Tony committed suicide? While I think this was intended as a moral story, it was just too confusing in terms of flash backs and random characters that meant nothing. I liked the five sentences, and they're the best written, so you ended on a really good sad note.

Just reply to this thread with any comments. I would really like to read explanations of the scenes etc.

- Jai, one of the Four Musketeers.
All for one! And one for all!
I have an approximate knowledge of many things.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:05 pm
Rydia says...

Encouragement to respond? Who can complain with that :)

This is what I was expecting actually, a lot of confusion and some sloppy time switches. I know. They're not meant to be there lol. The issue was that I had to write this in 3300 words when really it should be more in the region of 10,000 or so. By the time I realised it wasn't going to work in so few words, it was too close to the submission deadline so I had to go with it anyway. I'm putting that down to an inexperience with short stories. No complaints though. I got a high 2:1 so that's good but now I want to make it something I'd be proud to put in my portfolio.

The Beginning Scene:

You're right in thinking that was a flash-back. It would ideally be a prologue if I ever made this novella length. Collin knowing Tony's thoughts or seeming to was a bit of artistic liscence. I wanted it to be from his point of view but in the light that he'd filled in the blanks, made presumptions, used a little artistic liscence of his own. It's a style we were studying toward the end of the year that I'm not sure I got the strongest grasp of. Or rather I thought I did pretty well until I read it back XD

The glasses hit the pavement. Tony leaned further forward still.

This whole part confused me. I had to read this literally three times to understand. I thought that Tony was outside and was looking up at his bedroom window. Then his glasses fell onto the pavement. And Tony leaned in close. And then fell through his window. Very odd. I'm not quite sure how you can fix this, but I had serious problems reading the beginning and trying to picture everything in my mind.

I originally had a longer scene describing the apartment and such before this but had to cut it as I ran out of words toward the end. Unfortunately, I didn't save it and set it aside for later but I think I'd re'write that to make the location clearer.

I didn't like what I saw. He was a hairy sort of guy from the dark, tufted curls on his head to the black worms wriggling across his arms, coiled about his knuckles. It was awful. His finger-nails were filthy: cracked and broken, infested with maggots.

Wait, literal black worms and actual maggots?

Haha, nope. Metaphorical. I perhaps love my metaphors too much ^^

He was wearing a grey suit with a pinstripe tie and a set of tiny, silver cuff links.

This image completely contradicts the whole "maggot/worms" description.

I sort of hoped it would? I was trying to show how Collin's a very visual man who picks up a person's flaws much more readily than he sees their good qualities. And this is the way I think of Tony. Not the prettiest man but dresses well.

“Take a seat,” Erin invited. I took a look at the ring of 'chairs' and frowned in distaste. There were two fat ladies in rocking chairs, a shrivelled old man in a leather arm chair, Erin on her little, brown stool, a deck chair with a red and white cover, an over-turned plastic bin and a bed. Parish and I both opted for the bed.

This seems like a really unprofessional AA meeting. Generally the government etc supports these help groups and I'm sure a former police man could have found a better AA group.

I'm from a small town so everything's localised. This is styled after one I attended with a friend some time ago. It felt very colloquialised and was just in someone's living room. I guess I didn't think into the style of one an ex officer would attend. I'd have to think about that some more, thanks for pointing it out.

And if you found that any easier to follow than me you must be barmy. She certainly was. A nutter, crack-job. A big fat liar too. I'll tell you something about Erin Claude, turned out she wasn't an alcoholic at all, fancy that eh? Bloody women.

I was going to bring this up earlier, but this reminds me of Fight Club.

Interesting. What about it is similar? The narrator's voice or the style or...? I'll not deny that I saw Fight Club a few years ago but I don't recall much other than that the two main characters turned out to be the same guy and the whole fight club thing of course.

“Tut, tut. Rule number seven Rhys, I really do wish you would all kindly read the rules most carefully. We don't use that word here, now how about you tell us how you started... drinking. We'd sure be thrilled to hear.”

She didn't even hand them the rule books? Your whole story is filled with inconsistencies.

Rule book? I didn't get one at the one I attended lol. It was more of an informal get together, very much like the book club I used to be part of. Weekly meetings, not much of an agenda. Mostly talking and spending time together. I guess I should check out a few more to get a wider idea of them.

“It was before I met him, when he was just a spring pup. He got involved with the wrong crowd, like two peas in a pod.” Tony crushed my body toward him and rubbed my head with his knuckles. I forced a smile but wanted nothing better than to screw him over. Except I wasn't qualified for that. I was too much of a wimp to even threaten him with a bad report at this stage. That was all going to change.

How can being involved with the wrong crowd mean he was like two peas in a pod? That makes no sense. Also, I just don't understand Colin at all. He's just weird.

Oh Tony's just suggesting he got involved with the wrong crowd too and it's just one of those generic phrases people are always throwing around.

He was holding an old walking stick in one hand and I remember thinking it was almost as battered as him.

Because all of it is? XD Now I'm confused lol.

Sudden jump in time with no transaction period shown. Absolutely confusing. Glugged isn't a word. And what is Jack? Not everyone drinks. I assume Jack Daniels, but there are far cheaper drinks of an alcoholic.
Oh, glugged is Northern slang. It's an England thing and yeah, Jack Daniels is generally referred to as Jack or Jacks. It isn't supposed to be a cheap drink, he's not short of money or anything. It's a drink that's very strong, very male, more of an older man's drink. It represents the sort of person Tony is, he's more the Glenfiddich whiskey, hip flask sort of guy.

“Are you breaking up with me?”

I'm absolutely confused with this. And I'm starting to think that maybe one of them is imaginary or something.

Part of what you might find confusing is that it's a perspective change thing. Like it's Collin as he is now, after having been affected by these events telling the story of himself when he was still naive, with the later knowledge of what Tony was up to. I think I just didn't capture the style as well as I'd hoped :/

Oblivious to all this, your strapping young narrator, dressed in his latest ensemble of the working man's clothes (somewhere between chimney sweep and pirate) set off walking down the lane.

I don't think it's wise to draw attention to the fact that this story is being told.

XD It's another part of the style. I did it for bonus points, as the more aspects of the style we use and can then explain in our commentary, the better the mark we get. The idea is that the Narrator is monologuing this whole story.

I was thinking how fucking screwed I was and wondering if they'd take away my badge.

What in the world is going on? Since when are people assigned police officers to attend alcoholics to AA meetings?

I don't think I made it clear enough, it's more something his supervisor has assigned to him out of personal interest. It's the sort of thing that happens with small town policemen, they very much look after their own. There's a little artistic liberty going on there as well but it's loosely based on facts.

I don't even know why you bothered with these other random characters. I don't like them, I felt nothing for them. I want to read about Colin and Parish. I don't care about two-bit characters who just ramble on about crap.

Yeah, I didn't have the space to introduce them properly. I don't know what I was thinking but I thought I'd somehow have enough words for an overview of all their meetings and I had some huge things in mind for the characters and how they'd all rub off each other. Then I had to face reality and it was about here that I knew I'd made a mess of it and wouldn't be able to write what I'd imagined. I almost switched story idea but didn't want to risk the deadline. Still. I'm going to put the work in and the characters should create more impact, especially Erin.

Why would he automatically assume something was wrong?

He's being called by an unfamiliar person and he already knows Tony is unstable. He's recently had a fight with him, there isn't a wife of girlfriend in Tony's life to be using his phone. Call it a lucky guess XD

Collin quit his job because that was what he was always going to do in my head. I even toyed with the diea that he'd attempt suicide but not be able to go through with it because that was a key difference between Parish and him. It was always in my head to have a line that went something like, 'It takes a brave man to take his own life. I guess I didn't have what it takes.' But somewhere along the way, everything got really muddled and certain events didn't happen because there wasn't the words. The idea was that Collin would get more and more disillusioned with the police system and in the end finally round up where Tony did. He'd maybe go back to the police force later as in some ways he's the stronger man than Parish but I wanted that to be one of the questions, whether Tony was brave to take his life or weak. When I re-write this, I'm going to work on that a lot more.

Thanks for the help Jai, it gives me a lot to work from!

Heather xxxxx
Writing Gooder

377 Reviews

Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:41 pm

Hey, sorry about the late reply.

I got a high 2:1 so that's good but now I want to make it something I'd be proud to put in my portfolio.

What does a 2:1 mean?

Collin knowing Tony's thoughts or seeming to was a bit of artistic liscence. I wanted it to be from his point of view but in the light that he'd filled in the blanks, made presumptions, used a little artistic liscence of his own. It's a style we were studying toward the end of the year that I'm not sure I got the strongest grasp of. Or rather I thought I did pretty well until I read it back XD

lol yeah... I don't think that you can take this much artistic license, especially when the reader has no idea what's going on.

... but what were they metaphors for?

Interesting. What about it is similar? The narrator's voice or the style or...? I'll not deny that I saw Fight Club a few years ago but I don't recall much other than that the two main characters turned out to be the same guy and the whole fight club thing of course.

The whole "such and such was a liar, she wasn't even alcoholic". And neither is your main character. Which is exactly the same beginning as Fight Club.

Rule book? I didn't get one at the one I attended lol.

Read your own work? :P "I really do wish you would all kindly read the rules most carefully." How can they read the rules if they weren't handed a rule book/sheet? That's what I meant.

Oh Tony's just suggesting he got involved with the wrong crowd too and it's just one of those generic phrases people are always throwing around.

Yeah, but it doesn't make sense.

This is written in past past tense. Past tense: "I walked to the beach." Past past tense: "I had walked to the beach." See? So basically the part above is a flashback about a flashback.

XD It's another part of the style. I did it for bonus points, as the more aspects of the style we use and can then explain in our commentary, the better the mark we get. The idea is that the Narrator is monologuing this whole story.

If you were aiming for monologues, then, I don't think you did this very well. You could have added more emotion and descriptive language and more actual thoughts - and it'd have to be entirely from the point of view of Colin to make any sense. It'd also work best in chronological order.

So yeah, I can see the potential in this, especially if you flesh it out with more ideas. But at the moment it needs a lot of work to make it coherent.

Don't hesitate to request another review from our WRFF thread :D

- Jai :)

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:18 pm
Rydia says...

seeminglymeaningless wrote:Hey, sorry about the late reply.

No worries, I was pleased to get any reply at all :)

I got a high 2:1 so that's good but now I want to make it something I'd be proud to put in my portfolio.

What does a 2:1 mean?[/Quote]

Oh yeah, English grading systems XD The possible grades are a first, a 2:1, a 2:2 or a third. The average grade is a 2:2, a good grade is a 2:1 and an awesome grade is a first. There's ten points between each so a high 2:1 is anything 66 and above. I got a 67 for this one so basically I did good :)

... but what were they metaphors for?

Oh right! The black worms were metaphors for black hairs along his arms while the maggots was... actually yeah, I'll give you that one XD I think I just meant to over-exagerate but I'm actually not sure?

Read your own work? :P "I really do wish you would all kindly read the rules most carefully." How can they read the rules if they weren't handed a rule book/sheet? That's what I meant.

Ohhhhhh. Now I'm with you. I don't know where that line came from lol. I must have slipped it in while doing character expansion and forgotten to edit around it. Thanks for catching that. I knew this was rushed but I didn't realise quite how sloppy it was.

This is written in past past tense. Past tense: "I walked to the beach." Past past tense: "I had walked to the beach." See? So basically the part above is a flashback about a flashback.
Oh I see what you mean now! Was follows slightly different rules though. Like you can say, 'I was walking to the station when a man started chasing me' and it's still just as correct as, 'I walked to the station and a man started chasing me'.

But anyway! Thanks very much for the review, its given me a lot to think about and hopefully the re-write will make a lot more sense xxxxx
Writing Gooder

377 Reviews

Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:24 am

Hi :) I've been away for a month and now I'm back. Got about 40 emails/topics to visit and you're first :3

I'm glad you received a high mark for this assignment. Your story was probably much better than the other students, really.

Oh right! The black worms were metaphors for black hairs along his arms while the maggots was... actually yeah, I'll give you that one XD I think I just meant to over-exagerate but I'm actually not sure?

lol yeah :P I'm glad we concur about at least that strange metaphor.

Thanks very much for the review, its given me a lot to think about and hopefully the re-write will make a lot more sense

When you've rewritten it, I would be glad to have a look :)

- Jai

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:24 pm
Light_Devil! says...

Here I am, finally. I don't have much to say, because a number of people have no doubt beat me to the punch line. Anyway, here I go.

Kitty15 wrote:Sober Tony seemed to think so. Anthony could feel his glasses slipping off his nose.

Are Anthony and Tony the same person? If they are it would entirely beneficial for you to stick with one name.

Smudged finger-prints in the condensation showed where Tony's hand had rested a moment earlier but he didn't feel comfortable getting that close to the glass anymore.

So confused. Didn't Tony just fall out of the window? Perhaps, italics may aid you in a clearer way here.

His finger-nails were filthy: cracked and broken, infested with maggots.

I'm not sure if this is just your character being enthusiastic here, but I don't think it's possible to have maggots in your fingernails...

His sinister moustache drooped as if even it were disappointed by what Tony saw.

This sentence made me happy.

Even now I'm not sure what he referred to: our relationship; sobriety; life?

As did this one.

“You got stuck with me? Is that it huh? Well screw you!”

You have to be tad bit careful the way you phrase things. To me this seems like a women yelling, not a man.

Overall:
Wow. Just wow. What was the moral of the story? Please do explain to me. Anyway, I like the general plot - it's interesting. I'm not sure about your characters though. The relationship between them wasn't established enough to kill one off and have us care. In fact, you killed him off before we even knew who he really was. Also, I'd like you to keep in mind that way you make your characters talk. Colin was sounding a tad bit feminine in his thoughts and speech, I have no idea why, but I read him like that. Also, italics when writing past bits will make things a lot more clearer. Yes, I realise this review was pathetically short, but I hoped I helped.

Have A Nice Day,
Azrael.
Dynamic Duo AWAY!!!

A computer once beat me at chess. It was no match for me at kick boxing.

"I wish Homer was my father," - Ned's son.
"And I wish you didn't have Satan's curly red hair," - Ned Flanders.

GET ON IT PEEPS
— Nate