z

Young Writers Society

Blood Stains (From my novel)

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:01 am
Gheala says...

--Deleted
Last edited by Gheala on Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm back to my YWS after months of disappearance, hoping that I'd gain the immunity of books and quills against the harmful realism of our world.

In case this made no sense, I'm just saying that I'm happy I'm back!

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:28 pm
ErBear says...

THIS IS AN AMAZING STORY!

Sorry to go all 'caps' on you, but seriously! That was one of the most emotionally sturring pieces I've ever read on this site!

No suggestions at all. Keep writing. Please. You will go places!

I can't wait to read the rest! :)

~Tay~

PS- what grammar issues? There are NONE! This piece of literature is AMAZING. STUNNING. BREATHTAKING!
~formerly Ilovebubbles123

"There's only one thing
to do
three words
for you.
Ooh, I love you.

There's only one way
to say
those three words
that's what I'll do.
Ooh, I love you. "

For you.

71 Reviews

Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:11 am
Gheala says...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Dear loving God, you posted this comment while I was seriously going out of mind and having doubts in my writing style.
I can't believe someone actually liked it. I'm so hyper now and practically jumping on the couch! Waah!
Thanks a zillion times!
I'm back to my YWS after months of disappearance, hoping that I'd gain the immunity of books and quills against the harmful realism of our world.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:51 pm
View Likes
Shearwater says...

Hey, Ribbons!

I'm glad you finally posted something, I was eager to read this excerpt from your novel. I've been hearing so much from you and it really sounds interesting so without further delay, here's the review I promised you.

Nitpicks/Comments

Six months ago, the body of my mother lay lifeless on that rug. Her horrified dead eyes and the blue color of her skin weren’t what ripped my heart out from my chest, but the deep hole in her temple was the rusted arrow that penetrated through my very soul and flesh.

You picked...the best spot to start this excerpt. Seriously, I almost fainted when I read this.
So, she committed suicide, no? Also, I would use a slightly different word than 'blue' it makes me think she's seriously a blueberry color. D:
I remembered the rivers of blood gushed beneath her head and the pieces of her brain were splattered along the red pools

Ugh, this is so grotesque but so nicely written it makes me happy instead of sad. -___-
Also, 'gushed' should be 'gushing', why? because he remembered that scene but the events taking place in the past are playing presently in his head. I'm not sure if that makes sense, I'm horrid when it comes to explaining these little things but do you see what I mean?
One more, 'pieces of her brain were splattered' - Omit the 'were'.

I spent hours gathering those pieces with my own fingers two hours after her funeral, along with the smashed little bits of her skull that wounded my hand when I clutched on them and wept at the fresh memory of her slaughter.

Why would you wait after the funeral to clean up this mess? D:
My hands gripped to the leather of the couch near me with force that could break my fingers, I clutched to it in anguish and in a muted scream that resounded within my being. I could no longer look away from the rug or the splatter on the coffee table, my heart swallowing behind my ribs which were soon to be broken.

I love your description!
There are a few awkward wordings in your piece but nothing to be totally picky about.
The stinking smell of blood- my own mother’s blood- intensified in my nostrils,

You don't want to repeat things that we already know. We know it's his mother's blood.
The use of 'stinking' doesn't justify your writing. I would replace it with a stronger word. What does blood smell like? Rust? Metal? Iron? I don't know...something along those lines but 'stinking smell' should go, lol.
so I held my breaths and pierced my lips tightly,

Pressed my lips tightly?
Pierced: To cut, make a hole.
With an abrupt whirl, I clutched the neck of the person behind me and squeezed it with one hand. My fingers were on his throat, willing to rip it out,

Wait, when did this person come in? D:
Ah, well.

Overall

I thought this was a wonderful excerpt and it really makes me want to read more of your novel. You must let me know when you're done because I would love to take a look at it and read it. Based on this small scene, I have a great feeling that it's going to be epic and from what you've told me about it, I feel even more inclined to read this. =]

The things that I liked most were both your description and the way your worded your protagonist's thoughts. What he thought and what he felt were so nicely written and clean that it was almost scary. I felt connected to him already and the pain of loosing his mother was written very well. It seems that you have a very dark aura going on during this little scene and it's quite amazing and terrifying at the same time. I wonder what Julius is planning regarding after all this. Also, I have a question. Did his mother kill herself? Or did someone murder her? I didn't quite get it.

Overall, there isn't much criticism I could add to such a small part of the scene. Good job, Gheal. I'll be eager to read more when you post some!

All the best,
-Pink
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

71 Reviews

Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:02 pm
Gheala says...

Thanks a lot, Pink! You helped me out so so much and I'll rewrite the parts that needs to be changed. :D I'm so happy you liked it, especially that you liked his thoughts because that's just as important to me as the writing style itself.
It's strange that I wasn't comfortable with the exact words you think weren't right for the piece, while I wrote them. >.> I don't know why I never changed them then. Lol I was somehow in lost of good words >.>''

Anyway! Yesung, the one who was suddenly mentioned in the end, is Julius' best friend and he entered the house with him. It just wasn't obvious, because the excerpt was too short and was picked as events went on.

That's what driving Julius crazy and what made him the miserable person that he is: His mother was murdered, but the police decided it was suicide because there were no traces or evidence of murder. Yet, the story isn't about that at all. He won't be searching for the murderer, because he doesn't know how. He'll be miserable and killing criminals, instead.

Thanks a lot, Pink! :D
And by the way, why is he gathering the pieces after the funeral? Lol I just don't know when the police would be removing the body, because he'd be cleaning up after they do. @.@ I'll be thinking it through.

770 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 770
Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:17 pm
borntobeawriter says...

Gheala, wow.

You seriously shouldn't doubt your talent; you obviously aren't lacking in that department.

Pink's already gone through the nitpicks I also noticed and really, I have nothing more to add. I was impressed by the amount of detail, by the metaphors and how easily the words floated off the page and into my head.

Very impressive. You are quite talented and I really do hope you add more to this. I would love to read it.

Tanya :D

71 Reviews

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:53 pm
Gheala says...

Dear God, I'm going to faint! X.X
You liked it too! How come you all like it? That's impossible! Thank you, thank you! I'm so happy that you guys just gave me enough energy to finish the chapter I'm writing now.
You don't understand! The last time I tried to write this scene, people hated it and I ended up being skeptic about my ability to write sad scenes. But now!! Thank God!
I love you guys. Thanks Tanya, thanks a lot. Sorry, I say 'thanks' too much, but I'm too happy to find another good word!! :D

770 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:54 am
borntobeawriter says...

IT really is a pleasure. And we all doubt ourselves as writers.

I read a lot about famous writers and Gheala, they still doubt themselves, even though they're filthy rich from writing bestsellers. We always doubt ourselves. And other people don't know how to react to something different. My own family will tell me something is good when I know it's crap, because they have no idea what to say.

You really have to take everything with a grain of salt. Or maybe what you'd written, you'd written hesitantly, unsure about how to go about it, and it might have shown through your words, in the scene. Now, you've obviously got a good grasp on your writing.

Keep on writing!
Tanya :D

71 Reviews

Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:42 pm
Gheala says...

You're absolutely right. And you know what? Sometimes it's delicious to doubt ourselves... I mean delicious when we get over it, of course. Lol
It's exactly why we do rough drafts, rewrites and proofreading. Nothing is perfect from the first shot.
And I WILL keep writing!

770 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:46 pm
borntobeawriter says...

Yay! Proud of you! <3

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:50 pm
MiaParamore says...

Hey Gheala, here I am. I hope I am of some true help to you.

Her horrified dead eyes and the blue color of her skin weren’t what ripped my heart out from my chest, but the deep hole in her temple was the rusted arrow that penetrated through my very soul and flesh.
Dead eyes? I know what you mean by this, and this is not even wrong, but I would or your readers would get a better picture if you replace it with some expressive word like 'lifeless' or 'hollow' or something. I am not sure if you'd agree with me.

My hands gripped to the leather of the couch near me with a force that could break my fingers, I clutched to it in anguish and in a muted scream that resounded within my being.

The stinking smell of blood- my own mother’s blood- intensified in my nostrils, so I held my breaths and pierced my lips tightly, having a wish to block my lungs and drop dead on the ground.
What I think is that you could have done a better job at describing the smell of the blood. I know you can as you've done all this along. I am saying this only because you want to make this better. Some nice words(otherwise, foul) and weird would be cool to have in here.

My wide eyes goggled fiercely at the person whose gasps cut the silence, my breaths getting louder and my chest moving up and down in an emphasized attempt to soothe the fire in my heart with air.
Personally, this seemed awkward to me-chests don't heave up and down, do they? So you could make like-something inside chest heaved up and down, etc.

What a beautiful writing style you have, Ghe! Proud of you! :) The word choice was quite beautiful and the way you framed sentences was equally nice. I'd love to read more of this story if you ever post. One question, was this the beginning or somewhere from the novel? Whatever it was, I enjoyed it thoroughly. :) The word choice and all was fabulous, and don't ever doubt your talent.

My one suggestion, if any, to be is that you could add something more about her mother's looks. HGow they used to be, and how they looked now. And if I were you, I might consider adding her sweet memory with her mom. It would be more emotional and nice to read. Nothing more!

Sorry for a hopeful review!

Keep Writing,
Shubhi
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:55 pm
ImABookPerson says...

Gheala! I'm so sorry for my late review, the thing slipped my mind >.> . So so sorry.

So here I am, to review this awesome story ^ ^. Since the other users have already showed you the nitpicks, I guess I have to give my opinion ;). Since this is the first time I have read anything of your work, I got to say, I loved it. And I have to agree with Shubs, you do have a great writing style, It's like I was there when I was reading it. Your really good in details ^ ^ I only noticed something, sometimes, you use wrong choice of words. But other than that, it's all good.

I can't wait till the next chapters :D I enjoyed reading this one. Again Doa, forgive me for forgetting about the favor >.>
Keep on writing! I'm very proud of you of doing a good job ^ ^.

Please tell me if the next chapter is done. I hope my reviewed helped :D

Keep on writing,
Book *hugs*
I won't run when the sky turns to flame
and I sure won't budge when the earth does shake
when the flood comes up, I will dance in the rain
'cause it's all the same to me

71 Reviews

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:46 pm
Gheala says...

Yay! Thanks Shub and Book!! :D
I know, guys, I do pick the wrong words sometimes. When you read a weird misplaced word in there, know that's when someone talked to me while I wrote the chapter.
Yea, I did describe her, Shub. I did it in the previous chapter when he had a bad dream about her death. This is the end of the fifth chapter. In the old draft, I wrote something similar as the first chapter, but I realized that the novel isn't about her death, but how it changed him.
You have no idea how happy I am that you guys liked this scene! Thank God, because I truly thought I didn't know how to write sad scenes!
I love you guys! <3 >.> :D Lol. Too many faces, but it describes my happiness!

Bookie, whatcha talking about? You cute girl, don't apologize for not reviewing! I'm thankful that you read it, sweets.
Thanks Shub! Thanks Book! Thank you, thank you!

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:54 am
Zabuza825 says...

I loved it, definitely one of the most emotionally stirring pieces I've ever read. Any and all suggestions I had seems to have been pointed out by others already. Do you really have doubt in your skills? If you do then you shouldn't. I mean seriously, your good. I'm probably going to like the other chapters to if I ever get to reading them, and I hope I do get the time to do so.

Reviews: 1
Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:50 am
WEFTRS says...

This reminds me of The Mailbox.
"Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings." coolfunnyquotes.com

You have light and peace inside you. If you let it out, you can change the world around you.
— Uncle Iroh, Avatar the Last Airbender