z

Young Writers Society

Unicorns VS Zombies

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:42 am
MaskedPoet says...

Just starting this, it's a bit spoofey but the plot will be serious.

In a land, were men no longer stand, but rather ironically crawl, and limp, there was a sudden up bring of the infamous unicorns. There numbers were low but they were sent to the zombie filled earth to bring light, and happiness to what was left of it. They had one objective and that was to shed light on all of the darkness that was left, and sadly they were a little late, the world it self was known as the darkness.
There was but one way the pure unicorns could tread the gloomy filled land into what it was before. They had to simply defeat the brain-dead zombies for once and for all. This however as much simpler said then done, as we all know when a zombie bites another living thing, it also gets infected with the cruel cannibalistic disease. Getting a zombie to have a chance to bite a unicorn was very slim, since how the unicorns could very simply slaughter the zombies.
It was but one afternoon that a young unicorn was born into the darkness, her mother was one of the eldest of the unicorns and her father was said to have been called back to there home world, that is what her mother had told her that is. The unicorns were very intelligent species, the most inelegant species in the current universe. They could walk, speak, and write with there rainbows after just being alive for a day, but the daughter of the eldest unicorn had taken quite some time to develop all this, and when she did her rainbows were shades of green and not really rainbow like.

229 Reviews

Reviews: 229
Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:46 pm
View Likes
TheTruthLiesWithin says...

Hello there :) Truth here!
Sorry I only got some nitpicks, I can't keep myself from correcting.

Their numbers were low but they were sent to the zombie filled earth to bring light, and happiness to what was left of it.

Is that what you meant? Be careful with this, I see a couple mistakes in there. 'Their' is used in a possession term, 'there' for a place and 'they're' for 'they are'.

They had one objective and that was to shed light on all of the darkness that was left, and sadly they were a little late; the world itself was known as the darkness.

I suggest a semi-colon in there and 'itself' should be in one word.

Alright whaaaaaat? This seems awesome. I love the way that you write, and I just LOVE unicorns :D Is this going to be a novel, or ashort story? PM me when you've got more.
.- <3 -.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:55 pm
View Likes
MaskedPoet says...

Hmm, might be a short novel.... due to the fact it'll be to long to be a short story.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:03 pm
View Likes
lovestowrite says...

Hey,
I love the idea, it sounds srious, but always with a kind of amusing note because of the type of creatures in it.
There is one just one mistake that Thetrauthlieswithin didn't see:
. . .the most intelegant species in the current universe.

That intelligent should have been spelt like this, but I'm sure you didn't mean to do that!
'But I don't want to survive, I want to live.'
-WALLE

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:30 pm
Cosmic says...

Hello, Poet. Cosmic here! You'll be my fifth review for Review Day! *grabs Bold pen*

In a land, were where men no longer stand, but rather ironically crawl[/b], Take out this comma that I put in bold.[/b] and limp, there was a sudden up bring of the infamous unicorns.

There Their numbers were low, but they were sent to the zombie filled earth to bring light, Take out this comma also. and happiness to what was left of it.

the world it self was known as the darkness.
"It self" should be one word.

This, however, as is much simpler said then than done, as we all know when a zombie bites another living thing, Take out this comma. it also gets infected with the cruel cannibalistic disease.

Getting a zombie to have a chance to bite a unicorn was very slim, since how the unicorns could very simply slaughter the zombies.

...called back to there their home world...

...the most inelegant intelligent species ...

...and write with there their rainbows ...

Okay, you seem to have a problem with the concept of "there" vs "their".

Their shows possession. Example: "Their ball." "She took their money."

There shows position. Example: "The ball is over there." "The purse that held the stolen money is on the box that sits there."

Not the best examples in the world, this I know, but I hope I at least helped a little. I liked the idea of the story but the way it was written makes it a bit hard to read, this being that some of the sentences are a bit choppy. Some sentences move fast and others move rather slowly. Even so, I did like the story and the idea behind it.

Cosmic
Eat me. Drink Me.

"In the wasteland of the red queen it's no wonder our stage clothes have dreams to be famous. Trees in the courtyard are painted in blood. So I've heard she hands the headless upside down to drain. Eat me, drink me. This is only a game. This is only a game..."

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:07 pm
View Likes
charcoalspacewolfman says...

This sounds really funny, and the idea of a zombie unicorn is rather frightening. You had a few errors, namely your overuse of commas in the first sentence, and at some points it wasn't clear what you were saying. Overall, though, it sounds...intriguing.
HMS Tragedy?! We should-we should have known!!!

Reviews: 2
Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:25 pm
View Likes
GoldfishBurrito says...

When I read the title of this piece my first thought was, "AWESOME." And now that I've finished it, my thoughts are, "COULD be awesome."

Just a few suggestions coming your way. First, just generally spell/grammar check the story. Plenty of problems, but everyone does them and nobody wants to hear about them so I'm moving on. Cut "rather ironically" from your opening sentence. Makes it sound like you're trying too hard to be, as you said, spoofy.

I'm assuming this is the prologue to your story because of all the exposition, which is fine. But if I can make one small suggestion about the writing style, it would be to make it sound even more dramatic. A bigger juxtaposition between ridiculous content and serious writing would make it all the funnier.

Keep up the good work. I wanna read some hardcore unicorn-on-zombie brutality!
Dear NASA: If it's not aliens, I don't care.

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:42 pm
View Likes
Titan4ever says...

This story sounds very good so far. I only noticed one thing,
t was but one afternoon that a young unicorn was born into the darkness, her mother was one of the eldest of the unicorns and her father was said to have been called back to there home world, that is what her mother had told her that is.
You had a lot going on in this sentence, making it very confusing. If you made it into multiple sentences, it would be less confusing. I liked how you didn't make the young unicorn perfect, as many people would be able to relate. Overall, your story is a good start.
-Titan4ever
"A day without sunshine is like, well, night."

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:17 pm
View Likes
mellophone7 says...

This seems like it could be an interesting story. Some technicality things:
there was a sudden up bring of the infamous unicorns.

Did you mean a sudden upbringing?
the world it self

The world itself. Itself is one word, not two.
the gloomy filled land

Seems like it should be gloom-filled.
This however as much simpler said then done

I think this should be "is much simpler said than done."
darkness, her mother

Try adding a ; instead of a comma.
the most inelegant species

Did you mean intelligent again, instead of inelegant, because inelegant doesn't quite fit into the context.
with there rainbows

"with their rainbows."
rainbow like.

Rainbow-like, with a hyphen inbetween.
Once you fix these things, it seems like it's a very interesting story!
"The difficulty of literature is not to write, but to write what you mean." -Robert Louis Stevenson
"Write or die trying."
JA hatar pisanje.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:55 pm
kathy45662 says...

I really like the idea. Your title drug me in like a bug to a light zapper. Interesting creatures to have together. Once you make corrections, I look forward to seeing more of this. It will be itneresting and entertaining.
90% of writing is re-writing!

Random avatar

Reviews: 0

I have lived through much, and now I think I have found what is needed for happiness. A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people to whom it is easy to do good... then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbor - such is my idea of happiness.
— Leo Tolstoy