z

Young Writers Society

An excerpt of my novel, falling apart!

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:30 am
Gheala says...

--Deleted
Last edited by Gheala on Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm back to my YWS after months of disappearance, hoping that I'd gain the immunity of books and quills against the harmful realism of our world.

In case this made no sense, I'm just saying that I'm happy I'm back!

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:25 am
penguinduan1 says...

'How have it been?'

The 'have' should be 'has'.... Just a minor comment, other than that, good job!
ALL HAIL ATHENA!

"If you are mad at someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Anonymous (I forgot)

Random avatar

Reviews: 33
Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:02 am
MoonlightAssassin says...

Gheala,

I just have a few critiques.

First of all, Penguin is correct about what she said.
Second, the 'n' in " 'not great.' " should be capitalized.
And third, instead of using these things ('), 'Insert talking here,' you should use these ("), "Insert talking here."

Hope I helped!
~ Moonlight
Come visit the ReviewIn'!
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic75873.html

lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:14 pm
Gheala says...

Deleted
Last edited by Gheala on Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm back to my YWS after months of disappearance, hoping that I'd gain the immunity of books and quills against the harmful realism of our world.

In case this made no sense, I'm just saying that I'm happy I'm back!

216 Reviews

Reviews: 216
Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:40 pm
asxz says...

My eyebrows knitted

Uh.... knitted eyebrows? It sounds like it should be a good description, but I have no idea what the sentence is describing. Take it out?

“I didn't expect to see you again," I said,. I instantly realizinged the awkwardness of my sentence, which got his expressions to silently change to confusion when I looked at him. His eyes narrowed and concentrated deeper at my features, as if looking for an explanation for my strangely put words.

This is a cool paragraph, but I changed it to two different sentences in the begining (beccause you had about three clauses and it sounded awkward) and crossed out the 'silent' and 'when I looked at him'. These add nothing to the point, as well... when your expression changes from anger to happy, does your face make any sound? Don't make over-describing a habit, or you'll end up like Stephanie Meyer.

Why would it be so unpredictable to see him, while he lived nearby? But that is just fine, for it might distract him from talking about my issues.

This adds nothing. You can tell that she had issues later when she mentioens that father's side of the family. Also, this is a few chapters in, right? We already know that she has issues. You can just say 'I wanted to avoid talking about certain subjects.' or something like that.

"Again, same to you,” he said and crossed his hands on his chest, in a silent promise of his unaffected patience. I knew he could stand before me for an hour until I give an answer. He did that once and I was quite impressed.

You've never actually met him, have you? I thought you had only seen him a few times, and that meant that you held no... emotional attatchment to his opinion, so why would you not just walk away? Think of another way to say that he is strong willed?

Hmmm... just read the rest of your second re-working. Um...well...
It does sound interesting. A person who is very mysterious and he comes and whisks her away suddenly. Good start for a promising chapter. However, after your description of him, he does not seem like the type of person who would suddenly kidnap her without telling her where they are going, and she seems very sceptical of him in the rest of the description, so wouldn't she be hesitant?

Just putting it out there...

But yes. Good decription, and I can imagine him well. But the whole 'oh, he's so patient' and 'hey! Let's randomly go somewhere together' seem contrasting.
Otherwise, good!
::XoX::KeepWriting::XoX::

GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Writing is 3% talent and 97% not being distracted by the internet

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:31 pm
View Likes
Shearwater says...

Hey, Ribbons!

So remember I told you I would review this centuries ago? Well yes, here I am after all that time. I apologize for taking forever but I did not forget about you, I've just been busy with 'stuff'. Anyway, let's get onto the review, shall we?

Firstly, I'm reviewing the newer version that you posted in the comment so yeah...

The first thing I want to point out is what asxz said about the knitted eyebrows, I picture them just fine and I've read other works in which such expression was used to describe an emotion. Anyway, going back to the character introduction part of this, I think you did a pretty decent job. Considering that we don't know much about the character besides what you already mentioned in the beginning - it's done quite well.

I can picture him, standing there with a stern, emotionless glance and yes, I'd want to punch that sort of face too. The thing with this type of character though is that because there is no personality besides being emotionless and cold while still being mysterious is probably a tad bit hard to explain since you feel like you're not telling enough but then again, there isn't much to tell about him, right? With that said, I don't think you should worry about this too much since it's already doing it's job at making the introduction to the new character quite clear in my eyes.
It was quite possible that he considered expressing his feelings some sort of morbid sin.

I love this line. If you take it out, I will be very upset.

The only thing that I have to say about this that I would work on would be the ending. The part where he he lazily shrugs and says "who cares" was bit off for me. He came off as mysterious cold sort of character but then that part like he was a bit 'sloppy'. Do you know what I mean? I'm not sure how I would explain, really. But you might want to try editing that bit somehow...If you're confused, just send me a PM and I'll try to explain it a little more. xD

Well, your novel is coming along quite well based on the excerpts that I keep reading. It's really good and you must let me have a read when you're through! I want to read it - really badly. xD
Hopefully this review helped you in some area....

Keep it up and all the best,
-Pink
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

Veni, vidi, scripsi ~ I came, I saw, I wrote
— steampowered