z

Young Writers Society

Murderous Love

Which version do you prefer?

Murderous Love (This one)
No votes
Murderous Love [Alternative] (Link provided below)
No votes

Total votes : 0

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:20 pm
Jesiica says...

Alternative style can be read here: post845697.html#p845697

Warning: This short story contains violence and death.

Background: I had written this for and English assessment piece. The task was to relate it to the idea of heroism using an unexpected angle. I don't usually write and this is the first real piece I've taken serious. I'm not too happy with it however, I am enjoying working with it. Please criticise and pull to pieces as necessary. My biggest problems are grammar and sentence structure. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Murderous Love

Her soulless corpse lay in a pool of blood; the ground surrounding her stained with the sanguine liquid that was her own. I hopelessly felt for a pulse I knew wasn’t there; death had pushed the life from her body in order to make room for himself. I prayed her soul would travel to heaven in peace, that her sins would be forgiven, but all the praying in the world couldn’t take back the actions that lead us here. To anyone else, she would be unrecognizable in her current state; her body twisted, contorted and disfigured, to everyone but me. As I held her in my arms, I could see the outline of her perfectly beautiful face clear as day. I wanted to scream, to rip the tormenting pain from my chest; but I didn’t. I didn’t deserve to. I could have stopped it when I had the chance, when I heard her tortured calls for my help. Instead, I just stood there idly, waiting for death to drain the life from her. Now she’s gone. Forever.

---

It’d been all over the TV and radio for months now: ‘The Slit-Throat Murderer – a murderer as merciless and heartless as death itself.’ People had begun to doubt the police, sure that the lack of success in the case was their fault. News segments revealed there was no pattern to the deaths. No clues, yet each victim was found the same way, with a ruthlessly hacked at throat, their pale white corpse a lifeless void drained of blood. Every couple of days new victims were being found dead in their own houses, rotten and decayed. The quick, brutal deaths drove everyone to paranoia. Even those; such as myself, who’d fought in savage wars, were too terrified to do little but hide away, keeping a close eye on those we loved.

With every murder, neighborhood security grew tighter and curfews were being brought forward. Prisoners of our own home, we spent most of our lives living in the nightmare that was our reality. As each day passed, the walls drew closer in, threatening to crush us. I hated the claustrophobic feeling it pulled from me. I hated it more that others, especially those I love, were made to feel the same way. The feeling of suffocation in your own home, once your sanctuary, is one you never forget.

It hardly surprised me when I first noticed Tabatha’s late night disappearances, and even though I knew she needed fresh air away from the chaos, I couldn’t shake the feeling that I needed to go with her. I yearned to protect her, to ensure her safety. I’ll never forget the conversation that took place when I confronted her.

---

“Where were you at 3:00 this morning?” I called to a baking Tabatha from the couch.

“What do you mean where was I? I was in bed. Next to you remember?”

I furrowed in confusion because I knew she was lying, the question was why? “It’s just that, I woke up to grab a glass of water and you weren’t anywhere in sight. In fact I don’t believe you were in the house at all.”

“Don’t be foolish, Alfred. Why the bloody hell would I be out and about at such a ridiculous hour of the morning?” She barked in reply. “Now stop being delusional and learn to keep your dreams separate from real life.”

---

Looking back on it now I realize how out of the ordinary her reaction was. At the time I just thought she was ashamed of being unable to handle the pressure. Now I know the truth; I was too close to uncovering her secret.

I began to worry about it and the more I confronted her, the more strained our relationship became, and soon it was shadowed with lies and betrayal. Normally, her behavior wouldn’t bother me however, with the heightened amount of panic and suspicion I was becoming more skeptical about the events around me. I confided in my brother, sure he would put my mind at ease; instead he did the opposite, convincing me she was committing adultery. He encouraged me to follow her, and though I knew I had to, I was scared for her, myself and our relationship. How wrong my brother’s suspicions were.

---

By the time the police find her here there will be little they can do to uncover her identity. To police records and news reports, she’ll be another ‘victim’, the last of the series of slit-throat murders. Only I will know the truth. The night I followed her will haunt my dreams for the remainder of my life - nightmares that show my love mercilessly thrusting a knife into the throat of a boy no older than four. The sound of breaking bones and tearing cartilage as she hacked away at him will forever echo in my ears. The pained look on his crying mother’s face, muffled screams unable to escape her taped mouth, the knowledge that she was next: these are the images I will never shake from my mind, the horror that will forever haunt me, the fuel that motivated my actions.

---

After following her I returned home in a state of shock, filled with conflicted emotions; a raging battle churning through my mind.

‘You love her!’

‘No, I loved her. She’s a murderer, a violent cold-hearted monster. How can you love such a foul creature?’

‘She won’t hurt you, she loves you. Pretend you don’t know – ignore what you saw.’

‘Pretend I don’t know? And what? Sentence another couple of ten or so lives to death?’

‘Who cares about them? As long as you two can be together, free to love each other, no one else matters.’

‘Of course they matter! Did 14 years in the army teach you anything? Every life is worth fighting for, none more then the other.’

My decision was made; it was time to approach her once again.

---

Approaching her this time was a lot harder, but I was lead by my decision. I could hear her approaching, each footstep louder than the one before. Her clothes were different to the ones she left home in, something I’d stupidly failed to notice before but knew was a common occurrence. I trudged to the middle of the alley, directly in her path.
“Alfred?” she asked, thrown off by my sudden appearance. “What are you doing here?” As far as I could tell, there was no suspicion behind her words, only surprise.
“I couldn’t let a beautiful night like this go to waste, could I? Now come over here and give me a hug.” She doubted my reasoning, yet she walked into my arms eagerly, filled with passion and love. The force of her emotions was almost enough to make me forget. To pick her up, carry her home and hold her until she fell asleep. But I wouldn’t, couldn’t. The memories of torn flesh and a mother’s tears were more then enough to remind me of why I was there; why I had spent four hours crouched in the same position, waiting for her, for the sound of disturbed gravel under her shoes.

I could feel the blood pounding in my head, the reality of what I was about to do setting in. With tears streaming down my face and a shaky hand, I brought my arm around in the closing of the embrace, driving the knife straight into her back, again and again until I was sure she’d die. The sounds of her tortured screams and a final gasp where enough to shred my heart to pieces.

I was careful to slit her throat in as close a mimic as I could manage to all the murders she’d committed, following through with the draining of blood from the lifeless void that was her corpse. I need for her to be forever known of as the ‘last slit-throat murder’, to make sure that nothing of the events leads back to me. I know I can play my part well, the young ex-soldier who lost his love to a callous murder; that I don’t have to fake. The trauma and heartbreak of the turn of events will never stop haunting me, in my wake and whatever little sleep I manage. The only thing that I can trust to keep me going now is the idea that I have saved hundreds of human lives; that I put my love and the rest of my life aside to prevent that.

---

Those who were affected by her murders may see me as a hero. Others will only see me as a monster. Then again, only I will know the truth. To everyone else, even if I’m never discovered, I’m the true ‘slit-throat murderer’, the one who performed the final act; forever the murderer, while the real monster remains the victim.
Last edited by Jesiica on Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:07 am
Octave says...

I'll be brutally honest - I disliked this.

It's hard to say why I didn't like it. It probably started in the beginning, which felt gimmicky and bland. Sure, it's purple - and that makes for a semi-interesting read, but it seems like the purple is there to make up for the sheer lack of emotions. Don't get me wrong - I see where you've written emotions in. They just don't feel real, you get me? What he says feels as if it's taken from a script. It's overused, and in effect, it feels as if you just copied it off somewhere. I've heard this before. You need to show me something new, or at least, something that can tear my heart open. I've heard those lines so many times they've become trite and contrived; you'll need to try harder to pull that train of thought off.

Now, this piece lacked no conflict, but your presentation destroyed it. It sounds like a laundry list. I think you can afford to show us these things, not tell us. Allow us to see the scenes as they play out - show us the narrator worrying for Tabatha and approaching her, telling her he wanted to leave with her. Show us Tabatha's anger and violent reaction to his butting into her alone time. This way, by showing us, you'll make them feel real, and less like cardboard. When we see their relationship, we can grieve with the main character when she's gone. You can't grieve for something you never really knew existed, so we can't mope around with him. For this reason, I think your first paragraph didn't work. You should start with conflict, yes, but you want to have some sort of footing. Don't throw us into a conflict we won't care about.

Your problem basically lies in those two - your purple prose, and your propensity to tell, not show, despite having purple prose. It's odd, really. You spend so much time talking about the environment and describing it, but when it comes to actual events, you skim over them and just summarize them in a laundry list of sentences.

Your skimming events causes a ton of problems, not the least of which is a lack of tension and characterization. ._."

Now, I'm iffy about the plot. I find a lot of things wrong with it. First of all, blood isn't easy to wash off - certainly, her husband noticed the stains on her shirt, unless she threw out her clothes. Then, where would she get more clothes? o0" And why hasn't she been caught if she just walks to her victims' houses? That must mean she lives nearby, and the police should have questioned her, at one point or another. They probably investigated her, and maybe kept tabs on her. Plus, she sneaks out after curfew? Again, why hasn't she been caught? o0" In addition to all this, it's amazing how she's capable of killing entire families - it's one vs a family of four, maybe five - but I can let this pass.

Also, I think it paints her husband as pretty dim when you said she left increasingly as the murders grew more frequent. >> Come on now. Even he'd have to raise an eyebrow.

And it's kind of difficult to kill someone, and it's even worse to kill someone you love. He made his decision too quickly for it to feel real for me. (This is a minor inconsistency compared to the rest - but if he stabs her in the heart, she won't die out slowly like you mentioned in the first paragraph.)

The overall impact of this piece was weak, so I suggest you take the emotions to another level, so the reader can connect with them. Make us fall in love with the characters before ripping them away from us first, so we can cry with you. :)

So! That was my two cents on this piece. I hope you found this review helpful, and if you have any questions (or need any clarifications), feel free to PM me, all right? :D

Sincerely,

Octave
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

Dulcinea: 2,500/50,000

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:21 am
Jesiica says...

Thank you for your honesty, I appreciate it. I mostly understand what you're getting at. I'll have a look at it, play with a couple of different angles etc. and see what I come up with. I'll be sure to PM if I become stuck on trying to fix something you've suggested.

Thanks again,

Jesiica

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:50 pm
eldEr says...

Here as you requested!

Unfortunately, Octave sort of covered pretty much everything I was thinking about. xD I agree with her in pretty close to every aspect, and I found the same plot holes she did, so this review may be a bit useless.

The plot was... okay, but through the whole thing, I was asking the same things Octave was. Why didn't the husband get suspicious sooner? How has she avoided getting caught if she so casual about it? Did she take any special measures - killing a whole family is bound to leave some sort of DNA on the scene, especially since, you know, chances are the family put up a fight. I wouldn't let my family and myself be killed like that without at least trying to claw her eyeballs out. I dunno, it just didn't seem very realistic. It was far too big of a plot-hole for me.

Another thing that caught me a little off-guard was why she was killing all of these people. It seemed like she was just doing it for the heck of it - without motivation or you know, being mentally unstable. Every killer, no matter how small, has some sort of motivation behind what they do. Some do it for occult and/or religious reasons, others do it because of a past full of torment, others do it because they're just plain old clinically insane, and others do it for money. The reason doesn't have to be BIG, but there should be one.

I also agree with Octave when she said that it seemed like it was laid out like a laundry list. This happened, then another thing happened - you tell, but you don't show. Detail is good, and this piece lacks it. Except for where you're describing the setting. I want to know a bit more about the actual events.

As a whole, the piece really was a bit weak, I'm sorry to say. xD Sorry that this was so repetitive and short, but I honestly don't know what else to add.

~~Ish
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

*cries into coffee*
— LadyLizz