z

Young Writers Society

Called To War: P.F.C Joseph Allen

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Tue May 24, 2011 1:04 pm
Reedo121 says...

When I first started this, I never knew how much death would be in the air, P.F.C. Joseph Allen thought. He was in Afghanistan, supporting his troops that are trying to lower a makeshift bridge over a hole in the overpass.

“Allen! Keep a steady fire on those tangos across the river god damn it. Use your grenade launcher attached to your ACR,” Lieutenant Sheperd yelled. Allen snapped back to reality to answer back and keep shooting.

“Yes, sir,” Allen replied back.

Bullets sprayed all over the ground as bullet after bullet jumped out of everyone’s gun, pelting the militia or concrete with bullet holes. So far there has only been two KIA’s and three critically wounded.

“Lieutenant, the bridge is down. I repeat the bridge is down!,” yelled a Private named Zach Sloan.

“Good work, Private. Now everybody up those stairs double time,” Sheperd yelled.

Heavy Ranger footsteps marched up the metallic stairs. Going up the stairs two at a time was difficult for the heavily armed soldiers.

“Allen! Get in and man the turret,” yelled a driver named Corporal Dunn. Allen got in and manned the turret attached to the Humvee named ‘Curb Crusher’.
Static crackled from a walkie-talkie. It was deathly quiet.

“Sheperd this is Thunder 2. We have visual on enemy building. Over.” Sheperd’s walkie-talkie went off.

“This is Sheperd, fire at will, I repeat fire at will, do you copy.” Silence rolled over the platoon as the Rangers waited for an answer.

“This is danger close, Lieutenant, I repeat DANGER CLOSE. Over,” was the reply that no one was hoping for. Spirits plummeted as they imagined themselves being thrown around by the impact, going off the overpass into the water below, drowning as the equipment they had on their backs drug them to their deaths.

The attack jets flew over the targeted building. The bombs fell and practically caused a minor earthquake. Then the building went down. Cement rained everywhere. The soldiers covered their heads as rubble flew down in free fall mode.

“WOOH, Yeah,” screamed the soldier. The Humvee started moving as they stayed quiet, but still cheering on the inside.

“Shut up and keeps your eyes peeled. Watch those rooftops,” mumbled Sheperd.

The Rangers drove for about two minutes before...

“We have eyes on four possible tangos,” said HQ over the mike.

“Are they armed,” replied Sheperd

“Negative, but still... I’m suspicious.”

“Copy that HQ, Sheperd out.”

The Rangers raced through the maze-like-roads, trying to find and eliminate an enemy base camp.

“RPG, R-P- ahhhh,” were the last words of the crew in ‘Ole Betsey’.

The tank blew up in a cloak of rubble and flame. The Humvees behind Ole Betsey, swerved out of the way to avoid contact with the flaming vehicle.

"Contacts on the building to our left!," screamed Corporal Dunn.

"RPG to the buildings on our right", roared another troop.

An RPG missile head soared straight towards the platoon of Humvees. The platoon blew up as Allen, tumbled out of the Humvee. The platoon was destroyed in a matter of seconds as Allen's breath faded into the chaos surrounding him.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue May 24, 2011 11:12 pm
View Likes
Unfinite says...

Hey, first things first, a pretty good story from what I read. True to your description it's fast-paced and well-written.
First qualm, if I'm not mistaken you've written a story about the first mission of Modern Warfare 2? Which means this could probably do with being categorised under fan-fiction, but that's no big deal.

I'll go through my nitpicks first, then tell you what I liked about the story.

When I first started this, I never knew how much death would be in the air, P.F.C. Joseph Allen thought. He was in Afghanistan, supporting his troops that are should be 'were'; you started in past tense trying to lower a makeshift bridge over a hole in the overpass.

“Allen! Keep a steady fire on those tangos across the river god damn it. Use your grenade launcher attached to your ACR,” Lieutenant Sheperd yelled. Allen snapped back to reality to answer back and keep shooting. The wording of the last sentence confused me, perhaps say he "back to reality IN ORDER to answer back and keep shooting"?

“Yes, sir,” Allen replied back. You don't need the word 'back', the reply would automatically be directed to Shepherd.

Bullets sprayed all over the ground as bullet after bullet jumped out of everyone’s gun guns, not gun, pelting the militia or concrete with bullet holes. So far there has hadonly been two KIA’s and three critically wounded.

“Lieutenant, the bridge is down. I repeat the bridge is down!,” yelled a Private named Zach Sloan. You don't need the comma after the exclamation mark.

“Good work, Private. Now everybody up those stairs double time,” Sheperd yelled.

Heavy Ranger footsteps marched up the metallic stairs. Going up the stairs two at a time was difficult for the heavily armed soldiers. This part: were they taking the stairs two at a time because Shepherd said 'double time', because that would mean take each stair twice as fast, but still one at a time.

“Allen! Get in and man the turret,” yelled a driver named Corporal Dunn. Allen got in and manned the turret attached to the Humvee named ‘Curb Crusher’.
Static crackled from a walkie-talkie. It was deathly quiet. Static crackled, as well as being deathly quiet? Perhaps say "Then it was deathly quiet", as this clears things up. Or "Static crackled from a walkie-talkie before a deathly quiet elapsed." Just a minor suggestion.

“Sheperd this is Thunder 2. We have visual on enemy building. Over.” Sheperd’s walkie-talkie went off.

“This is Sheperd, fire at will, I repeat fire at will, do you copy.” Silence rolled over the platoon as the Rangers waited for an answer.

“This is danger close, Lieutenant, I repeat DANGER CLOSE. Over,” was the reply that no one was hoping for. Spirits plummeted as they imagined themselves being thrown around by the impact, going off the overpass into the water below, drowning as the equipment they had on their backs drug them to their deaths.

The attack jets flew over the targeted building. The bombs fell and practically caused a minor earthquake. Then the building went down. Cement rained everywhere. The soldiers covered their heads as rubble flew down in free fall mode.

“WOOH, Yeah,” screamed the soldier. The Humvee started moving as they stayed quiet, but still cheering on the inside. Again, the soldier screamed but you say it was 'as they stayed quiet'. Perhaps say they fell quiet, THEN the Humvees moved, and that they were still cheering on the inside.

“Shut up and keeps your eyes peeled. Watch those rooftops,” mumbled Sheperd.

The Rangers drove for about two minutes before...

“We have eyes on four possible tangos,” said HQ over the mike.

“Are they armed,” replied Sheperd You need a question mark after armed, and a full stop/period after Shepherd.

“Negative, but still... I’m suspicious.”

“Copy that HQ, Sheperd out.”

The Rangers raced through the maze-like-roads, trying to find and eliminate an enemy base camp.

“RPG, R-P- ahhhh,” were the last words of the crew in ‘Ole Betsey’.

The tank blew up in a cloak of rubble and flame. The Humvees behind Ole Betsey, swerved out of the way to avoid contact with the flaming vehicle.

"Contacts on the building to our left!," screamed Corporal Dunn.

"RPG to the buildings on our right", roared another troop.

An RPG missile head soared straight towards the platoon of Humvees. The platoon blew up as Allen, tumbled out of the Humvee. The platoon was destroyed in a matter of seconds as Allen's breath faded into the chaos surrounding him.

All of these nitpicks weren't because I didn't like the story, I just think if you clear them up it'll help it be that bit better. It was a good story, you described the actions of the soldiers and the scenario quite well.

Final nitpick, I promise! Shepherd is being supplied details of the situation - i.e. the tangos in buildings - by 'HQ', how exactly did the Headquarters know this? Did they have an aircraft relaying information to them, which they then relayed to Shepherd? Or something on those lines? I'm just asking because, if there's a reason you can then add it into the story to clear that up, whereas if not you can decide on how best to clear it up.

Sorry if I seemed over-critical!
He catches raindrops from his window
They remind him of how we fall
From the stars back to our cities
Where we've never felt so small

- White Lies (From the Stars)

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:10 am
captain.classy says...

Hi there!

So, I read the comment about this being about the first mission in Call of Duty, and then I googled it and you seemed to have used the same name. Now, if you did write a fan-fiction on this, you should post it in the fan-fiction forum. However since I don't really know if this is how the story goes, then I can't do anything about it. However, if it is fanfiction, then you should really credit the original authors and put it in the correct forum (ask a mod or JM - like me! - to do it!)

Anyways, this is pretty cool, however, you start off this story in first person, but after the first paragraph I'm not sure who's telling the story. If you start off in first person, it's very important that you finish with that. Once readers see the 'I,' they look for certain things: opinions of your speaker, narration through that person's eyes, a bias. But you give us none of those things here, which leads me to believe you yourself aren't quite sure who's telling the story.

I think what you need to do is figure out the direction you're going with this. You have an awesome plot full of imagination and action, now what you need is the meaning, that special human quality we call compassion. I want to see the blood and sweat of these dying soldiers. I want tears to trickle down my face when you tell me your character started crying at the death of his friend, something to hit me deep in the heart. You're a great writer and I know you can do it!

Now, another thing I notice with these war stories is that the writer assumes readers know what they're talking about. You did a really good job with explaining what KIA means by saying it in context. This is how all writers should do it, and they could definitely learn from this. However, other acronyms like: P.F.C., ACR, RPG. You need to harness what you did with KIA and do it with these words.

How you do this is you need to, as I mentioned before, explain it in context. You need to mention the situation, then use the technical term that means the same thing in the next sentence so we can kind of assume what it means. I hope that makes sense. Explain your main character's position, then say P.F.C., probably have the description contain the word that turns into the P or the F or C, and then later just mention P.F.C. on its own. But you have to make sure readers know what you're talking about or they won't be interested.

This was good! Keep writing!

Classy

Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.
— Homer Simpson