z

Young Writers Society

Surviving a Skiing Disaster

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:08 am
BustedFlush says...

I woke up buried in snow that covered my whole body. My left leg seemed to be broken because when I tried to move I felt a sharp pain in my shin. I also had blood covering the left side of my face and the snow around it. When I tried to move up out of the snow my head began to hurt so bad that I had to stop moving. My gloves were soaked through, which made my hands feel like they were on fire.

How had this happened to me? I must have been knocked out while skiing because I had my ski boots on and one ski attached. The next question I asked myself was, where am I? In order to answer this I needed to push myself out of the snow and get a bearing on my whereabouts.

I finally got myself up, and I found out that I had been buried in a little more than half a foot of snow. This meant I must have been there for awhile. My surrounding landscape was blanketed in white. I was in a forest, where the light bearily penetrated to the ground. It was snowing very hard and I knew I was going to be in alot of trouble.

There was nothing for me to do because of my broken leg and the gaush on my head, which both made me feel excrutiating pain. Hypothermia started to settle in and made me shake uncontrollably. I drifted out and felt comfortable in my sleep.

I dreamed of events that happened during my life, when I first learned to ride a bike, a trip to arizona, and my first kiss. All of a sudden I was awakened by a brown nose and a dog's bark. I thought I was seeing a wolf and was about to be made into a meal. I had hardly any energy and passed out again.

I woke up again with trees whizzing by me. It made me feel like I was flying and thought I was going to heaven. I felt warm all over and started to fall asleep again.

I woke up and the first thing I saw was the white sheets of the hospital bed. I thought I was still stuck in the snow. My eyes focused and saw my dad and little sister. My dad told me I was alright and I was in a hospital.

"Is this a heaven," I said.

A doctor walked over and replied, "No it's a hospital."

I finally was safe in a warm bed with my family near. I figured it was heaven.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:13 am
Jiggity says...

Just quickly because I have to go:

"Is this a heaven,"

take out the 'a'.

I promise, I'll come back and give it a good go-over.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

139 Reviews

Reviews: 139
Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:21 am
Torpid says...

IT WAS simple, not very elborate, but i have no rreason not to like it. so its okay, could be alot better and longer though.
did this really happen?

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:45 am
BustedFlush says...

Not really but I was knocked out in the woods while skiing and had to find my way to a trail without any skis. I wrote it quickly I didn't mean for it to be very elaborate.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:57 am
Jerikas says...

It was very fast moving and the charater seemed very calm for someone who thought they were going to die in the next few minutes. I think if you added in a few more descriptions of feelings and also the surrounding area other that just being a forest because when you are stuck in one place for a while you do start to notice your surroundings more than normal.

I also don't think you would just go to sleep in that kind of situation and from what you wrote it seems as if that was what he did (I'm just guessing the character was a he). I think you should research this a bit and extend it as you writing is quite good.

This could be quite a good piece if you make it longer and don't rush it.
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

He's not dead, he's electroencephalographically challenged.

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:29 am
Sledgehammer says...

BustedFlush wrote:I finally was safe in a warm bed with my family near. I figured it was heaven.

This part I kinda liked, but the rest was rather cliched, in my opinion.

A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language.
— W.H. Auden