z

Young Writers Society

Hellbreaker

Reviews: 3
Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:59 pm
Lyddz101 says...

Dragons are quite possibly the most annoying creatures in the world. Covered in every color combination of scales and feathers, they’re the unholy embodiment of a rainbow. I’ve never seen a dragon with less than a dozen colors, but the ones who insist on having every possible shade variation are the worst. For all their creativity, most end up looking like some kind of exotic rooster with four legs, long jagged teeth, and a distinctly reptilian look. How is that even possible, you ask? Trust me, they manage quite well. Our dragons are not noble and wise by any stretch of the imagination, no matter what my simple-minded fellow villagers seem to think.

Even worse than their appearance, however, are their personalities. The unpredictable savages are the worst possible creatures for a poor village to raise. Not only will they go on rampages that end with the deaths of dozens of villagers and the destruction of many of our houses, but they also mutilate each other. Come market time, when those that are maimed bring in less money, that also hurts us. Why the Elders didn’t decide to raise a more peaceful species I’ll never know, but it’s too late now. The treaty has long been carved into stone and some other prosperous villages are reaping the rewards of a calm existence farming with the elves or fishing with seals. How I envy them. All dragons are selfish, brutal beasts, turning against all others over the simplest of reasons, often with no reason, and for that I despise them all. Elves and seals don’t kill their High Keeper for no reason, the week after they accept him.

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:35 pm
Payne says...

Ah, I like this! First off, I saw no errors, and it flowed quite well. The narrator seems somewhat intellectual and sardonic, and it's nice to have his/her personality established this quickly.
Also, this whole thing is very intriguing; it's a great twist on dragons, really. I can picture it in my mind, and yeah...not very pretty.
Interesting setup. You've given us an idea of the situation, without blatant exposition.

Elves and seals don’t kill their High Keeper for no reason, the week after they accept him.

Excellent ending line. This officially hooks the reader in; now we have to know what happens! So...well done, and keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this.
I aim to misbehave.

Is it weird in here, or is it just me? --Steven Wright

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:06 pm
captain.classy says...

Hi there!

This is cool, and seems like you were writing your thoughts directly down on paper, which is why it flowed so well. It's also the reason why this seems to ramble.

Now, I don't like to be picky about plot in stories or anything, but really this isn't much of a story, since it's only opinionated information. It's good, don't get me wrong, however it isn't particularly interesting because I knew that even before I started (just from looking at it) that it wasn't going to go anywhere. And you definitely do not want people thinking that when they look at your story for the first time.

Now, thoughts on a story could be why does this person hate these creatures so much? I mean, that seems to be the most interesting part about this entry. I really like the cynical attitude, and you portray this character's personality well, however I'd really like to see where it came from. It's a true test of a writer: Can you make it so that events in your characters life affect how they are, what they say, and what they do? It's hard, and I think writing things like this is how I figure it out myself. ^^

Keep writing!

Classy

Reviews: 0
Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:25 pm
WriteMyWrongs23 says...

Hey,
this is one of the first stories I read with a flow that smooth. Amazing work keep it up.
--Wired Psyche

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:40 am
MamaLama95 says...

This story has a great idea, good grammar, and in general is written really well. I do think you could incorporate more fluid description, but that's me being picky. In general, the flow is quite good, so I won't pick your brains for that ;)
Look forward to seeing this continued, plus, I love the idea. And dragons (plus other fantastical creatures) are my weakness, so you've already won me over.
Being children of a cruel reality, we fall prey to the greater powers.
To envy.
To madness.
Betrayal.
Love.
And yet without these things, we cannot remain human. Without these things, we are nothing.
But it is the greatest sacrifice. To envy. To be mad. To betray. To love.
To be human.

We know what we are, but know not what we may be.
— William Shakespeare