z

Young Writers Society

Pandora's Brush

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:13 am
Abyss says...

The silence was awkward and so was the tension. Pandora and her father Jeff hadn’t uttered a word since they had departed from their beloved home, that now was only a fresh memory they would take an eternity to forget. The silence filled every crevice and chilled every shadow of that old station wagon Jeff loved and cared for so much. Every bump testified of its aged existence, as it rattled and the lights flickered off and on. It was as if at any immediate approaching moment it would fall to pieces and claim the lives of Pandora and her father, but Jeff believed in it with much devotion. This got to Pandora, often she would mutter a cutting remark under her breath, much like this one, that finally broke the silence, not caring that her father was already angered and on the verge of bursting into a fit of rage at any given moment. “Damn piece of junk”
“What was that!” Jeff tightened his grip on the steering, knowing very well what she said. “Did you just call my ride a piece of junk!”
“Do I even need to?” She snapped. “We could die at any moment dad and all you care about is this piece of rubble!”
Jeff glared through the cracked windshield as if wanting to shoot energy beams from his eyes and burn holes in the road. “Pandora” he exhaled. “ For a twelve year old girl you sure do have lip. We have miles upon miles of dirt road ahead of us and it burns, now I suggest you stop complaining or I’ll pull over right now! And we’ll walk to the next motel!”
He had a long piece of hair dangling in his face, drenched in sweat, Pandora could sense his sincerity, she could tell he wasn’t bluffing.
“Fine” she sighed, folding her arms and bowing her head.
Jeff glanced at her noticing her face consumed with frustration and let out a long breath through his nose and focused on the road again, throwing his hair back from his face.
“Damn it Pandora!” he hit against the steering wheel, seconds after he had just gained his composure an object—mended by a piece of masking tape--on her lap caught the corner of his left eye. “I told you to throw that darn tooth brush away!”
“No” she murmured, tilting her head toward her father. “It’s the last thing I have that reminds me of her”
Jeff’s knuckles turned white and he began grinding his teeth together. “Why are we on this road Pandora?” he asked, barely managing to maintain his composure. “Enlighten me.”
She kept silent and quickly gazed out the window, trying to avoid her father’s aura of rage, but she soon learnt that it was inescapable.
“Look at me!” he demanded. “Please!”
Once their eyes met, both filled with tears, he permitted the gates of his hardened heart to open. “You miss your mother” he sniffed. “So do I. But we have to keep strong and leave all that behind us Pandora, holding onto things that remind us of her will only deepen our sadness and contribute nothing to our joy.”
They both began weeping without a sound, tears sneaked down their cheeks. “Now listen to me” he said. “I want you to throw that tooth brush out the window okay”
Pandora gazed down at the brush, with a deepened frown and glazed cheeks finding it extremely hard contemplating the release of her last physical remembrance of her mother. Her hand trembled as she reached for the roller upper or downer attached to the door, not being able to conjure up the courage she pulled her hand back to her father’s great displeasure.
“I can’t” she said. “I can’t bring myself to do it.”
Jeff’s knuckles were on the verge of bursting through his skin, for every time he glanced at his wife’s tooth brush in Pandora’s hand a memory surfaced in his mind, mostly highlighting the joys they had, the happiness they endured throughout their marriage. But, the most profound and vivid memory a glance at that brush brought—was the image of it lying right next to his wife’s corpse on the day of her death.
“Listen to me” He urged. “If you don’t…If you don’t. I will.”
Pandora’s grip tightened around the brush at once, and she began stroking her thumb through its bristles repeatedly, venting her tension. Giving a quick glance at her father’s perspiring face, she stroked the bristles faster and faster.
“five seconds” Jeff swallowed hard. “I’m giving you five seconds Pandora…If you don’t…I’m taking it.”
He began the countdown almost immediately after he made his statement, steadily the numbers wavered coming from his lips. The closer he got to one, the faster Pandora stroked, until she began digging into it, damaging its bristles unknowingly at two. The brush began glowing and Jeff stopped the countdown immediately, focusing on the gentle light the brush radiated. His grip loosened on the steering wheel and at once all their tension was gone, for they could feel her presence around them. When suddenly a screech broke out and the sweet peace shattered, along with the already cracked windows of the station wagon. The sound manifested in their minds and expelled every thought as it rung alone in the abyss it created, driving them crazy, causing them sonic pain that was without question—unbearable. Pandora realized her thumb was still dug deep into the bristles and withdrew it, quickly rearranging the bristles to fill the impression after. The forceful screeching began to wane but it was too late, Jeff had already lost control of the car and the steering wheel loosened having no grip or purpose any longer. Both the back tires locked and the wagon slid; spiraling into and through the shrubs on the side of the road, collecting twigs and dried leaves on the underside of it. The tires simultaneously popped and the wagon finally came to a standstill, lost, in a large cloud of dust. They both wheezed and coughed, their lungs burned and their hands locked onto whatever they were holding onto. Jeff; the steering and Pandora; her mother’s toothbrush.
“Are you alright?”Jeff felt for Pandora through the dust.
“Yes” Pandora replied, squeezing the word out. “I think”
Jeff felt for the door handle and opened it, then struggled to move his legs trying to get out, lame with shock. He finally managed to edge out of the car, slightly pleased in seeing the dust starting to settle. Dragging his feet around the front of the car he reached Pandora’s door and opened it, then reached in and unbuckled her seat belt. She held onto his arms as he put his hands under hers and gently pried her out, under the sound of her subtle groans.
They both sustained minor injuries, but that was the least of their worries.
Pandora gave a weak smile. “Now what dad?”
They both leaned against the front of the wagon with folded arms and dirty faces. “I saw a sign not to far back stating that there’s a motel not too far up.” He said, gazing at the long dirt road ahead. “Its best we leave now. Now that we have most of our energy.”
“Alright” Pandora sighed. “I’ll get the water in the back.”
Jeff turned round and tenderly landed his fingertips on the wagons bonnet, with a broken grimace on his face. He rested his palm flush against it, feeling the heat of its engine for the last time, a feeling that had a tear swell in his right eye.
For the first time in many years he noticed something peculiar about the car, something he had overlooked for a very long time. Since the day he bought it, its roof hadn’t changed one bit through the years. It forever sparkled as if indestructible, remaining bright red as the rest of the wagon rusted and weathered away.
He quickly walked to the side of the car and placed his hand on the roof, and felt that it was still cool, unmoved or changed by the heat of the scorching sun.
“That’s it. We’re ready to go dad!” Pandora called, breaking his dreamy most mystified moment.
“Isn’t that strange” He murmured. “All this time and I haven’t noticed”
“Haven’t noticed what?” Pandora enquired, slightly perplexed.
Jeff detached his hand from the roof and rubbed his eyes. “Oh no its nothing really.” He said. “Come, let us be off then.”
Pandora shook off her puzzled face and just accepted it as one of those things and made her way forward alongside her father toward the road, trying to remain as optimistic as possible.
They soon reached the dirt road after a short brisk walk, feeling the hot sand smolder beneath their feet. The heat took its toll on them as they walked, beating against their skin, robbing it of its moisture. Every breath became a waste of much needed water for hydration, and each step forward brought with it a higher intensity of heat. The hot temperature they had to endure, was much like the burning desire they had to reach the motel and rest on a cool bed.
The searing sun laid its palms upon their brows, blessing them with its radiance they would much rather refuse if they had a choice. But it was surely inescapable, much like the warm memories they had of her, that they fooled themselves into thinking they could run away from. Though the truth stands tall and is unmoved by their attempts to deny it, for as long as they are awake and walk about the day, the sphere of her warm presence will always be there to abide with them. Even as they sleep the warmth of her presence lingers, as the moon parallels their hearts.
They walked in utter silence, and all that was heard was the howling wind gushing past them, ruffling their hair and blowing it into their faces. The wind was warm, as if it came from the breath of an angel, luring them to the thought of her exhaling upon them, in a broken eternal sigh of pity. Wishing they would tear open their cocoons of grief and sorrow.
Pandora moved her gazed from the heated far distance and gazed down at the road, upon the many stones that littered their path. She was deluded into seeing her mother grin from each one, then each turned into a playback of a happy scene they had together. Unable to bear the sight any longer she moved her restless eyes from the road and gazed beyond, back into the heated distance, but she was deluded into seeing yet another disturbing lucid image—the face of their former joy they wish to obtain. She rubbed her eyes and blinked several times but the face wouldn’t go away, instead it hovered motionless, staring directly at her. She gazed back down at the stones and their depicting scenes, and was tempted to pick one up and throw it at the face. She eyed the one she wanted to grasp, she could feel it’s hard warm texture in her hand and her fingertips pressing against its edges. She looked a little closer walking toward it; and noticed that it depicted the scene of her mother breast feeding her. Her palms began sweating and her steps quickened.
“You’re still holding onto that tooth brush Pandora.” Jeff said, bringing a halt to her strident march.
“Yes” she said, noticing the face and the scenes had disappeared. “I can’t go…can I?”
Jeff paced toward her and placed his hand on her shoulder. “No you can’t.” he sighed. “I’m sorry for how I reacted earlier. Keep the brush as long as you want. When you’re ready let it go. Alright.”
Pandora could hardly believe her father had actually simmered down under such heat, that he had actually let go of her desire to hold on a little longer.
“Thank you” she whimpered.
He gave a feint smile, squeezed her shoulder gently and said “Let’s keep going. I have a feeling we’re not too far off from the motel.”
She gave a dithered nod as he detached his hand from her shoulder, and they pressed on.
Pandora no longer felt restricted, she felt as if she had been permitted to unleash all the emotions she had been suppressing for the sake of her father. Although she still thought it wise to keep herself from imploding, sparing the thought of her father staggering through the ruins of her emotional debris. So she cleared her mind and focused on who she was and the sustenance she needed, for their water was getting scarce.
They began swallowing rather than washing the sand down that manifested in their throats, not to mention their blocked nasal cavities, caused by the dust being so easily blown up from beneath them. It was finer than beach sand, and moved swiftly with the slightest hint of wind. Their hearts are much like it, moved so easily by the thought of her breathing again.
The shrubs on either side of the road watched them silently, as they shook against the wind. There dry leaves falling as helpless tears, much like their family and friends can only watch Pandora and her father walk down their path of sadness, unable to help, rooted in the cool soil beside their heated trail. They knew too much. About grieving that is. Amongst their dark knowledge lies the luminous fact that joy can only come from within and nowhere else.
Jeff and Pandora were on a path leading to the embrace of their joy, the exact path that is said to be cold and bitter, but not in this case, no, not at all.
“The heat!” Pandora whined. “The heat is too much to bear dad!”
“Just hang…just hang in there we’re almost there” Jeff said, struggling to find his voice.
He gazed up at the clear blue sky, not seeing a cloud in sight, hoping that it would fill up with thick grey clouds and rain would descend. Hoping that his wife’s tears would be made known in this realm and fall upon his face, refreshing his being.
He could see Pandora growing weary, and fast, on the verge of collapsing. Being too much of a coward, he was too afraid to tell her that they were nowhere near a motel. That he had been lying all this time to keep her hopes alive, and to help ease the high anxiety levels he had always known his daughter to experience when faced with a stressful situation.
When suddenly, from an unknown source he had finally gathered the courage to do so.
“Pandora!” he called, piercing through her aura of exhaustion , placing his hands on his hips. “I haven’t been entirely honest.” He paused and spewed the dust from his mouth. “We’re—“
He stopped and turned around, the sound of a car coming on behind them caught his attention, having them both light up with relief—but not entirely.
They paced toward the side of the road and put their hands in the air, then began waving them from side to side. Both using the last bit of strength they had left, consuming the scraps of their energy. Pandora waved slower and slower as the car approached, then collapsed. Lucky Jeff was a very nimble gentlemen, and she fell safely into his arms.
“Oh Lord.” His whimper fell over her.
He could see her beginning to fade away, her bright blue eyes slowly began to disappear from her dusty face. Jeff uttered words of comfort, trying to stop himself from weeping, ensuring her that they would pull through this, but his words fell on sleeping ears.
The sound of the rumbling engine grew louder and louder as it approached, but for some odd reason, the rattling of it became louder than the engine itself.
“No! how can this be possible!” Jeff exclaimed, recognizing the shape of the approaching vehicle.
His very own station wagon came into full sight, in the exact shape it had been in when they had left home. It rattled and clanked, clattered and jangled as usual. The engine beneath its bonnet beat in unison with Jeff’s heart, pounding faster and faster. Till’ he passed out from pure excitement, overwhelmed with disbelief.
Mere seconds after his eyes closed and his head hung lame, he turned to a cloud of fine sand along with Pandora, that steadily rose into the air and moved into the middle of the road. As if waiting to embrace the station wagon as it came, and so it did. The sand blew through every open space and filled the car, of what looked like a sandstorm being compressed into it. Jeff and Pandora had completely vanished, every fiber of their being had been transfigured into a grain of sand. But soon, through a miraculous consequence of them both tasting the blade of death they were pieced together. Back to their former forms, flesh and bone, mortality and the will to choose or reject eternal rapture was given back to them.
Jeff felt the touch of the steering wheel through his palms as he awoke. Dazed and baffled, he immediately turned to Pandora to see if she was alright. A weak smiled surfaced on his face seeing she was asleep, her head pressed against the door and her hand tightly wrapped around her mother’s tooth brush. She gave a subtle groan and wormed herself closer together; before Jeff gave her one last glance ensuring himself that she was okay and focused on the road again. He could barely believe that the past series of events had just happened. However, after much tossing and turning in contemplation, he convinced himself that it was just a dream and nothing more.
When Jeff hand finally surfaced from his thoughts, he became aware of the beautiful sunset before him as his eyebrows loosened and his eyes shot wide. Like a cosmic fist of fire attached to a wrist of darkness, the smoldering sphere of incalculable radiance surely has to bring with it the cold night. Something Jeff had feared since he departed from their home, knowing that his station wagon hadn’t lights that worked constantly.
But soon he came across the fortune of seeing a building in the far distance, sticking out like a mole on the sun’s face, relaxing him and deepening his breathes. Soon passing a large but dull sign that said: Sugar free falls—3 miles ahead
He eased up on the accelerator and tilted his head back, feeling his heart rate began to slow down he swallowed hard, then noticed how dry his throat was.
Soon he reached the town and pulled into it, greatly pleased noticing that it was rather decent like any other and would be perfect for the night. He was mostly looking forward to the breakfast in the diner, knowing that towns like the one he was in always have the best when it comes to farmhouse food. Thinking of it had his stomach rumble, bringing him to the realization that he hadn’t eaten all this time and Pandora too. They had been in such a rush to leave home that travel food had slipped both their minds, all this time they had been feeding off grief and rejecting to dine with hope.
Jeff pulled up outside the sugar free falls motel and turned to his side, then shook Pandora by the arm. “Pandora! Pandora!” he whispered. “We’re here!”
Her subtle groans clumped together before turning into a full out moan. She slowly constructed her composer, brick for brick, as she stretched hard and sat upright.
“Where exactly is here dad?” she asked, looking out the window at the motel.
“Sugar Free Falls” he replied. “That’s what the sign three miles back said.”
“Sounds good to me.” She said. “As long as I get to shower”
Jeff opened his door. “Well” He put the keys in his pocket. “We best get inside. Its freezing out here.”
He made his way around the wagon and opened Pandora’s door on the outside and helped her out, even though she didn’t need his assistance.
“When will you stop pampering me?” she smiled, whilst getting out.
“The day I forget how to.” He smirked. “So…never.”
He winked at her and she smiled, then they were off, arms tightly folded. Jeff took his leather jacket off and placed it around Pandora, warming her a few paces before the brightly lit motel.
They entered through the sliding glass doors and Jeff took his leather Jacket back off Pandora, feeling the ever warm atmosphere bless his skin. They both stood in awe looking at their surroundings, wide eyed, consumed with doubt.
“You sure this is a motel dad?” Pandora asked. “In a town called ‘Sugar Free Falls’?”
Jeff kept silent, frozen, still looking, running his eyes over the interior of the motel. “Err…uhm…y--yeah I’m sure” he said, finally finding his voice.
“Okay. So…you think we’ll be able to afford this?” she asked.
He placed his hand over her shoulder then paced forward toward the receptionist, who had in fact been staring at them the moment they stepped in. She arranged her bright red lips into a smile as they came close, gently placing both her hands on the platform before her.
“Welcome!” she said. “I am Elizabeth, and I’m at your service.”
Jeff exchanged a glance with Pandora before he stepped forward to the receptionists desk and leaned on it. “Yeah err…We’re looking for a place to spend the night.” He said, then rolled his eyes over the fancy furnishings in a moment. “How much is it?”
Elizabeth gave a inhibited giggle. “For you Jeff…” she paused and smiled. “Free.”
Pandora’s eyebrows lifted and so did his. “Excuse me do I know you from somewhere?” he asked, flattered by Elizabeth’s audacity.
“No!” she playfully hit him on the arm. “I refuse to accept that you don’t remember me Jeff!”
“No really?” he chuckled.
Elizabeth’s smile widened as she cocked her head back. “Elizabeth Jennings” she said, beginning to lose her smile. “We went to high school together! Remember?”
Jeff’s mouth dropped open and he slightly blushed. “Oh!” he exclaimed. “I feel so…I’m so sorry…how could I not remember! I thought you looked familiar!”
Elizabeth let out a chortle. “Yeah! I’m not exactly surprised you took this long to recognize me Jeffy”
“Ah yes…that’s what they use to call be back in them golden days” He chuckled.
He turned to Pandora and gently put his hand behind her head. “Amongst all those trophies I won back in the day.” He said. “This one is my most prized possession.”
“Awww…” Elizabeth purred, leaning over the desk. “What’s her name?”
“Pandora” Jeff smirked. “She just doesn’t have a box”
Elizabeth let out yet another chortle. “How sweet.” She said, fixing her gaze upon the toothbrush in Pandora’s hand. “What do you have there little girl?”
Pandora pressed the brush against her back and gave Elizabeth a cold unmoved stare. “What’s it to you?”
Jeff cleared his throat and gave Pandora a disciplining glare, then turned back to Elizabeth. “Sorry about that. She gets real feisty when it comes to that brush.” He grinned.
Elizabeth looked as if her judgment had been broken beyond repair, not being able to discern why Pandora acted that way over that brush.
“Okay!”She rapidly blinked. “You said you needed a place to stay right?”
“Yes yes…that’s what we came here for.” Jeff said.
“Sure” Elizabeth let out a displeased smile. “Well as I said before, you can stay for as long as you like for free. For old times sake.”
“Wow Lizzy I cant say how thankful I am right now” Jeff said. He paused to think for a second then gave an embarrassed smile. “…Did I just call you Lizzy?”
Pandora rolled her eyes noticing the dreamy look on Elizabeth’s face, and a look her father now possessed that she hadn’t seen in months.
“I-I-I’m sorry sometimes—“
“It’s alright Jeff! Gosh! Loosen up a little will ya” she laughed. “Gees!”
He let out a long breath and nodded his head giving a hint of a smile. “Well…Lizzy…would you be so can and tell us where our room is.”
“No! I will not be so Kind!” she winced. “But I will be kinder and give you both something to eat first. You both look starved. Really.”
Elizabeth hoped over the counter in an aerobic type of fashion, having Jeff and Pandora exchange glances of amazement once more.
“I became a part time gymnast in college.” She said, pacing forward toward the dining area. “Broke a few somethings but that doesn’t matter. As long as I’ve learnt from it right.”
She looked back and gave a shy smile, noticing how lost both Jeff and Pandora were in her form. They were trapped in the ripples of her red velvety dress, and imprisoned in an irregular cell. Jeff could almost feel the texture of her dress on his fingertips, becoming all dreamy and distant before Pandora hit him against the leg with her elbow. “Hey!” she whispered. “Do you really think we can trust her”
Before the words ‘don’t be ridiculous’ could come from Jeff’s mouth, Elizabeth called them and they followed close behind. Pandora swallowed hard noticing the in depth embroidery of the carpets and the medieval styled furniture and chandeliers. She gave a deep whiff of the eccentric yet pleasing smell that filled the air, of which she found greatly odd, it being stale yet fresh. Gazing at the back of Elizabeth’s hair she found herself enchanted by its rhythm, as it swayed through the dimly lit hallway she was leading them through. Pandora gazed up at her father, noticing how distant he was. As if he’s rational thought patterns were the intricate carpets beneath them, and the tapping of Elizabeth’s black heels against it; stirred somewhat of a change and wrought confusion.
“Here we are!” Elizabeth said, reaching the end of the corridor. “Pick a table”
Jeff and Pandora emerged from the corridor and gawked at the sight, taking hesitant steps into the affluent dining hall. Being moderately small, it added comfort to them and dispelled most of its unconceivable properties.
“That one.” Jeff pointed, “Over there near the large draping silky curtains.”
Pandora speedily paced ahead and threw herself on one of the chairs. “Very well” Elizabeth said, faintly smiling at Jeff. “I’ll go wake the chefs”
“No, no, no! that’s alright” said Jeff, feeling a tad more trouble than his worth. “just give us what you have alright.”
“Sure?”Elizabeth asked.
“Yeah” Jeff nodded.
“Alright. Make yourself comfortable I’ll be right back.” Elizabeth gently tapped him on his shoulder.
He ran his fingers through his hair and let out a gushing breath, watching her gracefully amble toward the kitchen.
“Dad!” Pandora called, leaning forward in her chair.
He darted toward the table and sat down next to her. “What is it with you.” He said, “Ever since we’ve got here you’ve been acting up!”
“Can’t you see?” she asked, “There’s something strange about this place…and…and that women.”
“Ah, I thought as much” said Jeff, grasping the pepper shaker. “You don’t like her do you.”
“No!” Pandora snapped, “Something about her just isn’t right.”
She looked into her father’s eyes. “Why can’t you see that dad!”
“You’re imagining things.” He said, “You’re just a little tired. But we’ll rest soon.” He smiled and stroked her hair.
She sunk into her chair and let out a deep sigh. “Well she is right about one thing—I am starving.”
Jeff exhaled through his smile and put the pepper shaker back in its place, aware of Elizabeth’s approach. Pandora sat upright seeing the large silver tray she held in her hands, along with the steam that rose from it.
“We had a busy day today” Elizabeth said, placing the trey on the table. “Late this afternoon a couple had a fight and stormed out of here forgetting to eat what they ordered. So the head chef put this away hoping that someone would come along and order the exact same thing.”
She gave a quick glance at Jeff’s ever attentive face. “But fortunately no one did!” she grinned.
Their mouths watered looking down at the succulent T-bone steaks put before them, glazed with an unfamiliar sauce, supplemented with wedges and vegetables.
“Eat up now” said Elizabeth, sitting down opposite Jeff.
Jeff tried to suppress his urge to swallow big chunks, but Pandora hadn’t the patience and nothing to prove. She ate in the likeness of a savage, having her mouth and chin covered in sauce. Not giving a second look at the crisp clean white napkin before her.
“Gee Pandy…slow down will ya!” Jeff said, reverently holding his knife and fork.
She gave her father a carefree look, then giggled with her mouth full. “This is delicious” she mumbled.
Elizabeth found Jeff’s shocked face amusing and let out a giggle. “Reminds me of when I was a kid.” She said.
“Yeah.” He swallowed. “Although to be honest I think you were slightly worse.”
“And how’s that?” she asked, puzzled.
“Well” He tapped his lips with the napkin. “I find that the most beautiful and well behaved adults of society were monsters as children. That’s what I gathered from the people I encountered in my lifetime.”
Elizabeth smirked, gazing at Pandora’s cleanly swept plate and her saucy face. “I couldn’t agree more.” She said, “it’s mostly well behaved pastor’s kids who turn out to be monstrous adults.”
Jeff gave her an unsure grin. “Now that I’m not too sure about” he said.
“She is an eccentric case.” Said Elizabeth, noticing how extremely drowsy Pandora was becoming.
“How so?” Jeff asked.
“I’ve seen kids with imaginary friends and the works, but never one who treasures a tooth brush.” She said, “Never.”
Jeff glanced at Pandora now fast asleep, sunk deeply into her cushioned chair. “It’s a long story I’m too tired to explain right now.”
Elizabeth pulled a large bottle of wine from under the table and placed it on top, followed by two sparkling glasses.
“I really shouldn’t” said Jeff.
“ Just a sip or two” she chirped, loosening the bottle top. “And I’ll show you to your room.”
“Alright” he gave in. “ sounds Alright”
“Are you alright Jeff?” she asked, beginning to pour the wine in the first glass.
“yes” he said. “I just feel a bit fussy that’s all.”
He beamed watching the wine descend like a crimson waterfall, tainting the perfect crystal clear glass, that he was soon to put to his lips.
“There” She murmured, placing the glass in his hands.
His throat was dry and so was his lips, thirsting, he found himself lost in the lush motionless liquid.
“To old times” she raised her glass, “And the new to come”
They exchanged smiles and tapped their glasses together in a mellifluous clank. She took a sip that barely reached past her tongue, and he took a sip that depleted half the glass.
“So much for a sip or two” he said, almost paralyzed by the smooth sweet taste in his mouth. “What type of whine is this exactly.”
“The special type” she sniggered.

After they had conversed for much time and the large bottle of wine was finished, Jeff was left stone drunk. Still thirsting he grabbed Elizabeth’s half empty glass and gulped it down, then took Pandora in his arms and staggered up the stairs as Elizabeth led him to the highest level of the motel by stairs, because the lifts weren’t a hundred percent functional. It took quite a time before they had reached his room and, he barely managing to make his way to the bed he almost collapsed, but luckily Elizabeth was there to keep him stable.
“Easy now” she said, “ just lay Pandora down on the bed.”
He did exactly that and turned around facing Elizabeth. “Am I really that drunk?” he asked.
“Quite” she replied.
“Oh” he gazed down. “Then its best I get to bed.”
“Don’t you want me to show you around first?” She asked.
“Thanks but I—“
“Let me show you around” she insisted. “It won’t take long. Promise.”
He gave a final glance at Pandora. “Alright.”
“Excellent” she said , “right this way.”
She led him into a spotless bathroom, that had a fresh fragrance and a vast array of flowers on the wall. It appeared untouched, as if it had just been built yesterday.
“Do you like it?” she asked rhetorically.
“yeah of course.” He said. “It’s beautiful, very…you’re beautiful”
A wide smile spread across Elizabeth’s face, as she peeked past his shoulder at Pandora. “You mean that?”
“I don’t know…I mean yes, yes…I do…I’m drunk!”
“Shhh…keep it down Jeff” she let out a quiet giggle.
“can I brush my teeth first?” he asked.
“What? Why?” she replied.
“Because…” he paused. “This is the part where we kiss right. And. I haven’t seen or dated you in years…so…I wouldn’t want to ruin it.”
Elizabeth was tempted to chortle, but she was afraid Pandora would awake and everything would be spoiled, so instead she just sniggered beneath her breath.
“There’s no need for that Jeff.” She said, “that wasn’t cheap wine we drank. Your breath smells better than ever I assure you.”
She raised a brow and gave him an assuring smile, then leaned in to kiss him.
“Wait” He placed his index finger on her lips. “I insist…Lizzy”
She pulled back a tad frustrated. “Did you bring a brush? Because we don’t have here.”
“No” he said. “I’ll just use Pandora’s brush for now.”
She smiled and cocked her head back. “You sure that’s a good idea?”
“Relax she won’t know” he assured. “She’s asleep. She won’t know”
He winked at her then walked out the bathroom and sneaked toward Pandora’s bed, the platform of her slumber and snoring. Elizabeth stood behind him, silently watching from the bathroom door with her arms tightly folded, hoping he doesn’t do anything foolish and wreck everything.
Pandora’s turned onto her stomach letting out a groan, and both Elizabeth and Jeff held their breath. They soon came to learn that she was still fast asleep, then eased up. Jeff spotted her tooth brush sticking out the back pocket of her jeans and wasn’t hesitant in slipping it out, slowly. Once he had it he sneaked back to the bath room with a large smile on his face. The second he entered Elizabeth grasped his head and forced her lips onto his.
“Perfect or not perfect” she said, pulling back for air. “I’m running out of patience.”
Jeff tried to resist but couldn’t employ the will, being too weak. The taste of her lips and the sensation it gave, had Jeff squeezing the synthetic life out Pandora’s brush. Moments before he was ready to submit he caught a whiff of his wife’s perfume, then pulled back and glared at Elizabeth.
“What am I doing” he said, trying to catch his breath. “What…what have I done.”
Elizabeth simply ignored him and pretended he hadn’t said that, then had another go at his lips. But she was restrained by his new found will as he held her back. “No!” he exclaimed in a whisper. “I’m sorry. I can’t do this.”
She tenderly looked him in the eye, as if pleading for some physical remorse. “Don’t do this Jeff.”
He stood firm, unmoved by her fragile charm and gently pushed her away. “Don’t do this to me” she insisted.
Jeff exhaled with a breath of pity, knowing that he would never allow himself to give in. The smell of his wife’s perfumes was too strong in the air, the scent shot vivid memories up his nose and into his brain.
“Thanks for everything” he said, “but its best we leave right now and I’ll forget this happened.”
Elizabeth bit into her lip as a tear began to swell in her eye. “Speak to me Jeff.” She said, “tell me what’s going on here.”
“You wont understand.” He said.
“Please!” she pleaded.
Her desperation and intensity became apparent, consuming her former calm collected charming self. No longer did she smile and mesmerize, blink and imprison, but rather became a vessel of unwelcome persistence.
“Soon you will forget me Elizabeth.” Jeff assured.
“No!” she grasped both his arms. “You cant leave me like this. I’ve waited too long.”
Jeff sensed her obsession the minute they began conversing, he just hadn’t thought it out to be so serious. Although his vision and ability to discern were deterred by his drunken state, he could tell and see that Elizabeth—His long departed ex girlfriend—had craved him for many year. Her aura of urgently needing remorse and mercy stung his heart, but even so, he couldn’t bare the thought of seducing another women in his dead wife’s presence.
“Just let it go Elizabeth. Please. Just let it go.” He said, parting her grasp from his arms.
She took a few hesitant steps back, her heels tapping against the white tiled flooring in a broken rhythm, knowing he was serious, and he was leaving.
“Stop!” she cried, not caring about waking Pandora. “No one leaves until I’m satisfied.”
“Don’t” Jeff sighed. “Don’t do this to yourself Elizabeth.”
“This place was built recently with the money I inherited from my father’s passing” she said, “It opened today and no one…no one came through those doors except you. Now. I moment that rare, an event this rare cannot be ruined Jeff…do you understand?”
Tears slowly escaped her eyes and sailed down her cheeks. “You’re the only thing I ever loved as much as wanting to open my own motel someday.” She sobbed. “And you were my first guest.”
Jeff froze and went utterly blank, losing every thought in a moment. “I’ll say it again.” She continued. “A moment this rare…must not be spoilt.”
She reached into the space between her bosom at the point where her bra connected, and drew out a miniature pistol, almost as lethal as the look she had in her eyes.
“Please!” Jeff’s eyes widened. “Put the knife down so we can talk through this.”
“Enough. Talking.” She said, wiping her tears. “Seduce me. Or get shot.” She sniffed.
“You need help Elizabeth.” Jeff held both his hands out, as if trying harness an abstract force to stop her. “I majored in psychology back in college. I-I can help you Lizzy!”
“I don’t need help Jeff! What I need is to be seduced.” She said, “ And stop calling me Lizzy! We’re not dating anymore.”
“I know…I” he trembled, “I wont seduce you Elizabeth. Please I beg of you, please understand!”
“You told me you’re not married about an hour ago, so it cant be that.” She said, pacing up and down restlessly. “You’re not gay, you’re not cripple, you’re not—“
“I smell it” he whimpered. “I can smell her perfume right this moment. I can smell my wife’s perfume Elizabeth and I can sense her presence. She’s here. “
“Oh my” Elizabeth sniggered, “Oh my. Did I hear you correctly? Did you just say you can sense your wife’s presence in the room?” she mocked.
Jeff let out a gushing breath and wiped the perspiration from his forehead with his sleeve. “Yes”
“Well…in that case” She pointed the gun at him. “I’ll actually be doing you a favor by blowing your brains out and putting an end to your lunacy and grief.”
“You wouldn’t dear.” He whispered.
“Oh really!” she cocked. “Close that door behind you right now.”
Jeff unlocked his unshaken gaze from her eyes and turned around, placed his trembling hand on the door then gently pushed it close.
“Good” she said, stepping towards the wall on her right. “Now step over to the large window.”
Jeff glared at the long blue silky draping curtains ahead of him, predicting exactly what she was planning. “I have a daughter who needs me!” he pleaded.
“Shut up!” she yelled, “O—open those curtains Jeff.”
He was beginning to lose his breath and felt his legs go a bit lame, but he pushed himself to do as she asked. He staggered over to the curtains, through being both drunk and fear overriding his ability to walk. Pulling them open he realized that the shaking of his hands had reached a new level, that he was more afraid of dying than he thought he was.
“Now step on to the window sill” she commanded, “Notice the flaw of this motel yet?”
“What?”he mumbled, spellbound by the view.
“The windows don’t have bars” she sniggered, “Bad for safety. But. Great for expelling drunk idiots who refuse to seduce me.”
Her grip tightened on the gun as Jeff gazed down, noticing his station wagon directly beneath him, standing idle under the bright street light.
“I mean…I’m beautiful…maybe…even beyond it…” she said, “Look at me!”
Jeff tilted his head up. “No” he said, “I’d rather die looking at this view. Than die looking at your massacre smudged teary face.”
Her anger now was thick enough to be touched. “I swear” she darted forward and ripped Pandora’s tooth brush out his grasp. “ I swear” she moved back to her former place. “When I’m done with you, you miserable…when I’m done with you…I’ll murder your daughter with this very brush!”
As he turned she pulled the trigger and shot him through the cheek destroying his tongue, then through the hand as he held it out and through the brain, exactly between its two halves symbolizing there eternal separation, then several times through the chest sending him crashing through the window, enshrouded by a plague of shattered glass.
She screeched as the tooth brush began scorching the hand she was holding it with, burning both her flesh and bones. Then it sucked her dry, every drop of her life source, leaving her completely vaporized as time came to a standstill.
A great beam of light gushed out the broken window, shattering the last remaining pieces of glass still attached to its edges. The beam illumined the town and some of the country that surrounded it, but it was quiet and somewhat soothing not to mention that time had froze, so the people weren’t shaken out their sleep. Instead the town remained as silent as Jeff had found it when he had first arrived.
The brush rose from the bathroom floor and levitated in mid air, then each of its bristles began to transfigure into human fibers. Soon it whirled violently and turned everything upside down in the bathroom, before its eye blinding light took human shape. Before long the time zone in that apartment unfroze and Pandora opened the door, woken by the gunshots and the screaming, covered in a large blanket that clumped on the floor.
“Ma” she whimpered, rubbing her eyes. “Is that really you?”
“Yes dear” she smiled, “Come give your mother a hug will you.”
Pandora leaped forward, refreshed by her joy and, jumped in her mother’s arms giving her the tightest hug she could offer. “How?” she whispered.
“I don’t have much time Pandy” her mother said, burying her nose in Pandora’s hair. “That witch’s life source is beginning to fade in me.”
Pandora kept silent, her eyes tightly closed, not giving the slightest care to what her mother meant.
“Mortality is a funny thing Pandy. As a child about your age my grandmother spoke of myths and philosophies that, I thought to be ridiculous. The philosophies weren’t so bad but the myths and legends were totally. Out. One of them was that each human being at birth has, a predestined future ahead of them. And. Each one’s life source is put into a random object that they use or see in their day to day lives and, when that object is destroyed the individual connected to it dies that same instant. I died of a heart attack the second my tooth brush snapped. I met other people in the realm I went to after and they told me that its true, that its, no myth or legend. They also told me something else.”
A tear streamed into Pandora’s hair. “Something concerning you my child.”
”What is it Ma?” Pandora whispered, still consumed by the moment.
She strained herself trying to keep her heart beating and time warped. “Your life source…” she squeezed, “rests…within…roof of station wagon…”

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:26 pm
LauraMae says...

Um, wow. That was really captivating. A lot happened in such a short period, I'm thinking maybe you could lengthen it a little, because everything happens so fast I was finding it hard to keep up with what was actually happening...

Apart from that, the only real concern I had was that you switch POV quite a bit. You start off in like a omniscient style and then dip in and out of each character's thoughts and then back to omniscient and its incredibly confusing. This is perfectly fine, as long as you specify where the POV is changing because in some places it is not always clear.

Overall, I think you write very well. Your vocabulary is excellent, and you managed to make something as insignificant as a toothbrush interesting :) Well done, keep it up!
If there's nothing, nothing left to lose... What is this feeling, that keeps on bringing me back to you?

Random avatar

Reviews: 53
Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:58 pm
Preachergirl18 says...

The brush rose from the bathroom floor and levitated in mid air, then each of its bristles began to transfigure into human fibers. Soon it whirled violently and turned everything upside down in the bathroom, before its eye blinding light took human shape. Before long the time zone in that apartment unfroze and Pandora opened the door, woken by the gunshots and the screaming, covered in a large blanket that clumped on the floor.
I really like this part but way was there so many commas

I have a Gumbie Cat in mind, her name is Jennyanydots; Her coat is one of the tabby kind,with tiger stripes and leopard spots.
— T.S. Eliot, Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats