Young Writers Society

NaNo 2023: BUNNIES AGAIN

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:13 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Day 7 & 8
Words today: 1585 <-- look I know that's stupid close to the target but I don't have 100 more words left and I probably *did* actually go over the target but I had to delete some stuff...
Total NaNo words: 9023
Total manuscript words: 29,854 <-- i've been flirting with 30k for like four days and now I'm also stupid close but alas, don't have 150 more words in me today!

I *did* write yesterday, but not very much! I felt very blah all day yesterday and the words were not wording when I sat down to try to fix this chapter I'm working on.
I started much earlier in the evening this evening and I tweaked this chapter *again* and it's working better now! (still don't know if it's good, but we're going to worry about that in edits because it's time to move on).

Not that anyone is doing math other than their own, but my total manuscript words might look a little wonky because not all the words I've written in the last couple of days in this chapter ended up being usable. Also my scrivener did something weird today and I think I fixed it but my count might be slightly off.

ONWARDS TO CHAPTER 13! (which will have some recycled chunks from the last draft)

ONLY ABOUT 2.5 DAYS BEHIND.

Spoiler! :
for reference
Code: Select all
[size=150][b][color=seagreen][small-caps]Day 1[/small-caps][/color][/b][/size]
[b]Words today:[/b]
[b]Total NaNo words:[/b]
[b]Total manuscript words:[/b]
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1162 Reviews

Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:49 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Day 9 & 10
Words today: 1829
Total NaNo words: 10,852
Total manuscript words: 31,683

lol oops didn't write yesterday because I was too tired after work and didn't have the strength to open my computer.

Now I'm VERY behind! But it's okay because the one and only year I hit 50k during NaNo, I had to come from like 9000 behind to do it, and actually finished early. SO ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. Let's see how many words I can make up before the end of the weekend because it's so hard for me to write during the week!

1. read over ch. 12 and actually finished it. (might not suck as much as I feared but probably still could be better)
2. I hit the daily goal for the 4th time this month! (lol)
3. Finally surpassed 10k for the month and 30k for the book!
4. Recycled a lot of words today and bounced around a little and the goal for tomorrow will be to fill in all the gaps and finish chapter 13!

Ask a Therapist!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1162 Reviews

Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:06 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Day 11 & 12
Words today: 3511
Total NaNo words: 14,363 (5641 behind)
Total manuscript words: 35,149

Playing catch-up this weekend with watching figure skating and/or playing sims 4 there to motivate me if I write enough words! :)

I finished chapter 13, and I'm proud of how it turned out! I have about three new scenes left to write until I hit the midpoint of the book, and I've been excited to write this little sequence since I mapped it all out in a parking lot! I started chapter 14 - chapter 15 will be the midpoint - then I bounced around a little bit.

I also planned a few more scenes! I was going to quickly run out of planned scenes after I hit the midpoint, but now I've planned half of act 3. As of now, I think the 4th act is going to be pretty similar to the last iteration of this story, which means I *almost* know all of the scenes to get me to the end!

While it wasn't quite the dramatic catch-up weekend I had in mind, I'm really happy with the direction this draft is going and I'm happy with my words this weekend! Busy work week ahead with my last full week before Thanksgiving week, so hopefully I won't fall too tragically behind :)

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:53 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Day 15
Words today: 894 <-- back at it!
Total NaNo words: 15,257
Total manuscript words: 36,088

Busy work week ahead with my last full week before Thanksgiving week, so hopefully I won't fall too tragically behind :)

WELLLL I was so tired after work the last two days that I didn't write anything. I have another busy work day ahead, but I also have some time to write BEFORE work for a change! Go me!

Friday shouldn't be a busy work day so if all else fails I might shoot for a true Hail Mary Catch-Up Weekend this weekend. (because yes i'm probably delusional and think it's possible for me to still get to 50k while also accepting that the odds are against me lol)

Ask a Therapist!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:55 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

I like that optimism!!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1162 Reviews

Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:28 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Day 17
Words today: 2039
Total NaNo words: 17,296 <-- shhhh let's not even worry about how behind I am now........
Total manuscript words: 38,127

hi so i'm going to try for a 10k writing weekend......
and if I don't hit a decent word count before I go to bed tonight I'll pretend I never said that lol

POMODOROING MY WAY TO VICTORY!!

I was hoping for 3k today, but I'm happy with 2k as I get back into things!
I finished chapter 14 and started chapter 15. WE'RE ABOUT TO FINALLY REACH THE MIDPOINT.
The next couple of scenes will have some recycled bits from the previous draft, so hopefully I'll have a big writing day tomorrow!

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:22 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

Day 18
Words today: 2690
Total NaNo words: 19,986
Total manuscript words: 40,817

No but LITERALLY a Hail Mary Catch Up Weekend.
i'm delulu and still think I can hit 50k. let me have this

*finished ch. 15 which means WE ARE PAST THE MIDPOINT
*started ch. 16
*began reading through all of act 2 to make sure I didn't miss anything and that it's all working, and so far so good :)

I will *NOT* be hitting 50k this year and I'm fine with that!! I'll still try to get my word count as high as possible because I *do* want to finish this draft asap, but I'm not going to drive myself nuts getting there! <3
Last edited by Carlito on Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ask a Therapist!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:27 pm
Snoink says...

OKAY, BUT!!! That's a lot of words that you've written!!!

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:06 am
Liminality says...

Woo congrats on passing the midpoint!!
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

1162 Reviews

Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:21 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

Day 19-23
Words today: 1167
Total NaNo words: 21,104
Total manuscript words: 41,935

Things were super busy at work in the days leading up to Thanksgiving so I embraced that I won't be hitting 50k and rested the brain a little as well! Those words were written in the car on the way to my parent's for Thanksgiving. I love car writing!! (and me and husband's 2000s emo bands playlist for background music) <3

I also loosely plotted THE REST OF THE BOOK in the car. tbd whether or not my pantser brain will accept these scenes when it's time to write them, but I'm 95% sure I know all the scenes that will get me to the end!

Didn't write on Thanksgiving Day because I was spending time with the fam. Today is a quiet/sleepy day at my parent's so I'm hoping to make a little progress before Car Writing Round 2 tomorrow! :)

Ask a Therapist!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:46 pm
Snoink says...

I also loosely plotted THE REST OF THE BOOK in the car. tbd whether or not my pantser brain will accept these scenes when it's time to write them, but I'm 95% sure I know all the scenes that will get me to the end!

Omg, I am glad I am not the only one who doesn't necessarily embrace the outline, hahah.

It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind