z

Young Writers Society

Nano 2023: Snoink's Stuff (aka The Golden Mermaid)

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:45 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Not yet done for today, but...

“And so now he is attacking you all for a sickly apple tree?” Tristian snapped. “This whole conflict is ridiculous!”

GOSHDARNIT, TRISTIAN, STOP CALLING ME OUT FOR MY PLOTHOLES. I WANTED TO ADD MORE INTRIGUE, DARNIT.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:17 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Today's update is: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

(About 13500 words)

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Two excerpts because apparently I forgot to share them and I am amused by them...

Spoiler! :
“I don’t hate my brothers,” Tristian admitted. “I love them much, even if I’ve never told them directly. Sometimes I hate the way they treat me, or I hate what they do, but I never hated them. They are just people and people are complicated.”

His father looked at him gravely. “Do you know what I call people who threaten me with violence?”

Tristian grimaced. “What?”

“Enemies,” his father replied.

Tristian winced. “They are my brothers, not my enemies.”

“If you say so.” His father sighed and rubbed his head.

(Slightly proud of that one... if you've read the story, you know that it's a FORESHADOWING... in order to become king, Tristian must rise up and confront his brothers.)

Spoiler! :
Tristian swallowed nervously. “What do you think of me?”

The king shrugged. “I have told you what I thought of you. You are your mother’s son.”

“Then you think that I am weak?”

His father glared at him. “Your mother was not weak. She was the strongest woman that I’ve ever met. Most men were not as strong as her. When her kingdom fell, there were many men dead around her. But she was a survivor. I found her in the wreckage. She was one of the only things alive.”

“The fever killed her,” Tristian said blandly.

“Yes, the fever killed her,” the king said grimly. “It killed many of its victims. It was a cruel disease. Instead of killing the elderly, it killed the young and the strong. Still, while the fever may have killed her, it did not kill you.”

Tristian looked up hopefully. “So you think I am strong?”

“I think you can rise to the challenge,” the king said. “She rose to the challenge many times. But she was always afraid to take the first step. And I think you’re the same the way. You are also scared to take the first step. But I think you can rise to the challenge, if you need to.”

Tristian shuddered and stared moodily ahead. “I don’t think that I am not ready to be king.”

The king suddenly laughed. “Good, because I am not ready to die! That path, fortunately, is not open to you now, nor will be opening anytime soon, if I have my way. However, another path has been opened up. The golden bird has come! And perhaps through this bird, you will rise up and become what you need to become.”

I am slightly hesitant to write the next scene because I've built up all this suspense to Tristian confronting the Golden Bird, and I know it's going to end terribly and prompt the real adventure. So I don't want to make it too anticlimatic, and I am not sure how to do that. But I should just get over myself and do it.

...also. Husband has decided to start kitchen construction yesterday, which I desperately want and support because I am SO SICK OF HAND WASHING MY FAMILY'S DISHES EVERY NIGHT. Even with husband's help (one of us washes, the other dries... team work, yo!) we are a family of eight and it sucks to wash all those dishes because it takes about three hours everyday and I want a dishwasher yesterday. But also that means I have to distract six children from bugging Daddy, just when it's starting to get cold outside and they want to play inside so... not sure how Nanowrimo is going to go, hahah. But at least I will have a kitchen hopefully???

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:15 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

FINISHED THE FIRST PART.

Yes, I've divided my story into several different parts:

1. The Golden Apples
2. The Golden Bird
3. The Golden Horse
4. The Golden Mermaid
5. The Return Home

(I've also considered naming the story "All These Pretty Golden Things" because that title amuses me.)

SO. PART ONE IS DONE.

Which means now Tristian is questing to find the bird! Which means he has to meet his new wolf friend... which I should probably find a name for. Or something.

NOW. IT'S TIME TO KILL A HORSE. Which should be relatively easy to do because apparently there are five million reasons why you should kill a horse...

horse medicine.jpg
horse medicine.jpg (38.09 KiB) Viewed 128 times

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:50 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Starting off today with 17,365 words. *gulps*

Not really pleased with how Part 2 started off... Tristian is complaining A LOT.

Spoiler! :
I sort of feel like I'm regurgitating Cyrus's complaints at the beginning of Book 4. It's like, "Oh! Traveling on a horse through a forest when winter is fast approaching is a Bad Idea. Huh, who would have ever guessed that???"

But like. Cyrus's story is slightly better written, in my opinion, for some reason... not sure why. Maybe because Cyrus is a far more developed character than Prince Tristian? Maybe because I gloss over it more? Or maybe because Cyrus has companions that he can complain to, whereas Tristian only has his horse, and seeing a character ranting and raving to a horse that he legitimately hates because it is the Worst Horse Ever might not be fun... actually, that sounds hilarious now that I write it out. Maybe I should do that...

Here is an excerpt... the meeting with the wolf:

Spoiler! :
When he first saw the wolf, Tristian only stared at him. And then he got mad. Everything had gone so disastrously wrong so far that he felt as if he was part of a divine comedy and that God was laughing at him. Next to him, the horse still neighed pitifully while the wolf came out of the forest with his teeth bared. It was so ridiculous that Tristian almost thought it was part of a dream.

Still, Tristian was resolved to face the wolf courageously, just as any hero would do. After all, if this were to be his last moments, he might as well end them with courage.

No one had ever taught him how to confront a giant wolf. However, he knew a little bit of dueling etiquette, as well as the witty ripostes that accompanied said dueling. And so, he stood up and faced the wolf, as if it were a man that he were about to duel. Then he drew his sword at his side and waggled the blade threateningly to the wolf. “Do you think I care about you, you miserable beast? I do not! You may look scary, but look! My name is Prince Tristian and I come armed! If you attack me, you will regret it!”

The wolf blinked. Then the wolf said, “Forgive me, my dear prince, I did not realize who you were. I will not attack you. However, may I please eat your horse? He looks deliciously fat and I am so hungry.”

At the words, Tristian sprang back, confused. “You are a wolf?”

It was the first words that came to his mind, though as soon as he said them he realized how stupid they sounded. A better question would have been, “Did you talk?” Or maybe, “How did you talk?” Or maybe even, “How it possible that you, a wolf, could possibly talk to me?” Or, better yet, “What magic enables you to talk?” All of those questions would have been better than asking a talking wolf — who was clearly a wolf! — if he was a wolf. But Tristian wasn’t thinking clearly. Everything was happening too fast and he felt frazzled as a result.

At the question, the wolf yawned, looking irritated. “Clearly, I am a wolf,” said the wolf. “What did you think I was? A chicken?”

Tristian blushed at the sarcasm, but tried to stand up taller and look unbothered. “And you speak?” he asked, still trying to wrap his mind around everything that was happening.”

“Clearly.” The wolf curled his lips back and flattened his ears. “Did you think I was a dumb brute? If so, why did you speak to me?”

Tristian blushed more, suddenly realizing that it probably would be very silly to admit that he didn’t know that the wolf could speak. What could he say? That he was terrified that the wolf would kill him and so pretended that the wolf was an opponent for a duel? So he quickly said, “Never mind that! I spoke to you and you answered me and that’s all that matters. Tell me, what is it that you want?”

“Your horse, of course,” said the wolf. Then he paused and wagged his tail. “That rhymed.”

I'm... not sure if I like that meeting? I might have to play with it a little more and finesse it before I do. *sighs*

Anyway. I would like to get to 20k today. That would make me happy. We shall see though...

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:20 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Okay, but I just accidentally wrote a line where the wolf was wagging his tale and I feel like this is very indicative of the story as a whole.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:24 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

OKAY.

Starting today at 19957! Slightly below my target goal for yesterday, but like... the last couple of lines look like this now:

Riding on the wolf was surpringly fun. His fur was long and silky snd, best of sll esrm. Tristian buried his hands in the fur

And it's only that clean because I spelled check about three of the words and thought, "You know what? I am so exhausted that I am writing gibberish. I AM GOING TO BED."

Anyway. This is my favorite bit of yesterday:

Spoiler! :
Tristian squinted at the wolf. “Are you the sorcerer that my father sent me to find?”

At the mention of the sorcerer, all the wolf’s hackles went up “Why, what a silly question!” the wolf said, his fur bristling.

“It is not a silly question!” Tristian insisted. “You just told me that the sorcerer had been bewitched and disappeared! What if the sorceress turned the sorcerer into a giant talking wolf?”

The wolf growled. “Are you trying to insinuate that the sorceress turned the sorcerer into a wolf because she thought the sorcerer was making inappropriate advances to her when he whistled at her when he saw her for the first time and didn’t realize that she was a sorceress who was in a bad mood and thought his whistle was a wolf whistle and thus permanently changed him into a wolf? Because that is quite an insinuation to make! And very rude as well.”

Tristian blinked at the wolf and suddenly felt even more uncertain. “That was an oddly specific story.”

“It could have happened to anyone!” the wolf growled again, his hackles still bristling. “Now, pack up and prepare to ride before I change my mind!”

...I am amused.

Now, to get my naive prince to an inn, with his wolf companion who is definitely not a sorcerer.

We'll... see how many words I can write today. I'm still about 3400 words behind, which is... um... a lot. >.> But not impossible to write! But also... it's a lot. *whimpers*

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:12 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Starting at 22001 words today! So, about 3k behind, but do you see me creep up??? THERE IS PROGRESS.

Favorite part I wrote yesterday:

Spoiler! :
The wolf growled. “That inn is too fancy. They’ll probably only let me into that place if I have a bath!”

Tristian snorted. “Good! A bath will do you good.”

The wolf only growled. “We should go to the other inn. It’ll be more comfortable for me. And there will be less obnoxious poodles running around. Why, judging from all the fancy carriages around, I can only assume that the whole place is infested with poodles. Or, even worse, pugs! We should go to the other inn instead. It might not look the nicest, but I'm sure the company will be better.”

“No, let’s go to the nice inn.”

Tristian tried to step forward again, but the wolf blocked him once more and glowered at him. “I will howl obnoxiously if you try to bring me in,” the wolf warned. “And I’ll bite anyone who tries to give me a bath!”

I'm just... having too much fun with this talking wolf character, haha.

Okay... maybe another excerpt...

Spoiler! :
“You a prince?” the innkeeper said, looking at Tristian’s mud-stained outfit. Immediately, Tristian felt uncomfortable.

“Maybe I am,” Tristian snapped, suddenly thankful that the wolf was sitting at his side. With the wolf at his side, he probably wouldn’t get robbed, or worse, murdered in his sleep by the dubious looking patrons who eyed him curiously. “What’s it to you?”

“Nothing, just curious,” the innkeeper said. Then he added, “I don’t see many princes coming along this way. Not since the new inn opened up.”

Tristian grimaced and decided not to explain that he had almost went there, and, were it not for his mangy companion, he would be there staying in luxury and drinking wine. Instead, he nodded and said, “Must be tough to have so much competition with the other inn. It looks like a big party is over there. I imagine most princes would want to stay there.”

“The tavern brings in good enough business with the locals,” the innkeeper said serenely. “Enough to keep the inn anyway. Besides, not everyone can afford the sorceress’s rates.”

Tristian suddenly paled. “The sorceress’s rates? A sorceress runs that place?”

The innkeeper nodded. “A sorceress started a business there as an inn several months ago. It’s been a very popular place, especially since two princes came to join them. They have parties every night. Everyone who goes there forgets who he is and simply enjoys their time as a guest. Until she eats them, of course.”

Tristian stepped back, alarmed. “What?”

“Her guests eventually turn into pigs,” the innkeeper said apologetically. “She’s no cannibal! Everything is perfectly legal.”

“But her guests turn into pigs and then are slaughtered?” Tristian asked, staring at the innkeeper in horror.

The innkeeper shrugged. “As I said before, not everybody can afford her rates.”

WELL, THAT HAD A GRIM TWIST. XD

Okay, I *do* want to get caught up today... let's see if that is possible...

Today, the wolf is going to give the prince instructions on ho to catch the golden bird, I think.

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:02 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Spoiler! :
LOL the talking wolf is hilarious XD (and toootally not the sorcerer >.>) love the banter between the wolf and Tristian =P
great job so far, Snoink!! :D
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:53 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

AHHHH. I am glad you like my wolf character. I love him too. <3 He might possibly be the whole reason why I wanted to write this book... I wanted banter between the prince and the totally-not-a-sorcerer wolf. XD Because even in the fairy tale, I love how exasperated the wolf gets after a while, but how gentle and patient the wolf is with the prince anyway as the prince continually messes up, haha.

Anyway, today I am starting with... drum roll, please... 25,142 words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT'S RIGHT. I ACTUALLY MADE WORD COUNT.

Okay, before the excerpt... a bit of context.

As they are going over their plans to steal the bird (the plans, of course, being absolutely fool-proof plans that will definitely not fail miserably because why would I ever do something that bad to my characters?) the wolf explains to Tristian that he has to play a magic flute to make everyone in the castle fall asleep. When Tristian points out that he doesn't actually have a magic flute, the wolf tells him to grab some reeds and make one. Then the wolf continues going over the other plans with the prince.

OKAY. Now you're ready for the excerpt...

Spoiler! :
Tristian frowned. “This plan seems too easy. There must be a catch!”

“There isn’t a catch,” the wolf said. “That’s all you need to do. It is an easy task.”

Tristian frowned more. “Then why hasn’t anyone done it before?”

“Because humans are ridiculous and like to complicate everything, especially if it’s easy!” the wolf growled. “Now, stop asking questions and try your magic flute! Let’s hear what it sounds like.”

Tristian frowned at the bundled reeds that he made. Then he glanced up at the wolf, who looked at him eagerly with his ears perked up. “I suppose I just blow into it, right?" he asked uncertainly. Then he puffed his cheeks and blew into the reeds.

An atrocious squawk came out.

The noise startled Tristian so badly that he dropped the flute and sprang away in surprise. But when the wolf heard it, he wagged his tail happily. “Beautiful!” he cried. “That will put them right to sleep!”

Tristian stared at the wolf in disbelief. At first, he thought that the wolf must have said those words sarcastically. Then, as he watched the wolf’s tail wagging and realized that the wolf was serious, he grew angry. “Do you really think that sound will make them sleep?” he snapped, his face growing red. “Why, it sounded like a dying duck!”

“I can think of no fonder sound,” the wolf said, sighing wistfully and wagging his tail more. “Dying ducks remind me of duck dinners, and what can be more satisfying than that? Imagine falling asleep with a belly full of oily duck flesh. Can you think of anything better? I wouldn’t mind a duck dinner myself right now. It sounds glorious.”

Tristian stared at the wolf. Then he held up the reeds in anger. “Why, if I played my flute — if you can even call it that! — it would wake the whole castle up! They will think that they are being invaded by an army of deranged ducks and they will wake up in a panic! Then they would see me, quacking like an imbecile on my reeds and throw me in prison for causing mass panic to them all!”

The wolf looked at Tristian quizzically and tilted his head. “Are humans really that scared of ducks?”

XDDDDDDDDDDDD

(I love the wolf.)

659 Reviews

Reviews: 659
Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:57 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Love the back and forth between your characters! (And P.S. - I love the wolf, too!) Congratulations on making your word count! You are doing awesome, Snoink! <33
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:52 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Yay! More Wolf fans! <3

Not much done yesterday because of a major construction/plumbing project so I had to keep both eyes on the kids.

Anyway, starting today with 25,632 words. I'll... see how much I can get done.

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:24 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

I cracked up at the "army of deranged ducks" omg XDDDD
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:51 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

we are a family of eight and it sucks to wash all those dishes

Snoink I am CRYING in solidarity for you because omg.

SO. PART ONE IS DONE.

WHOOO!

THAT'S RIGHT. I ACTUALLY MADE WORD COUNT.

A CATCH UP QUEEN!

& Snoink I *need* an update on your kitchen and the dishwasher addition!!
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:03 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

WELL. Just in case you need some sort of HGTV treatment, @Carlito... ;)

A year ago, we bought a tiny hay farm in the Northeast. It is beautiful and everything. But... the farmhouse is old and the kitchen very much original to the 1920s house, when electricity was just becoming a thing. So... well... this is all the counterops we have in the kitchen and there is two electrical outlets... one for the stove and one by the window. So we have to put our refrigerator somewhere else!

20231118_102313.jpg
This is literally all the counterspace we have in the kitchen. That is a tiny sink too... it is slightly frustrating.

There was a former enclosed milking stall that was enclosed that was original to the house which later owners enclosed and made it into an official room with a bay window and everything. There was always an intention to make that the kitchen... but it never happened.

20231118_102335.jpg
The random room that will be our kitchen! Ignore the mess... we clearly need more cabinet space. In the meantime, we reinforced and stacked up several moving boxes so we can store light things like cereal boxes. Also, that's where the refrigerator is hiding, lol. The refrigerator is scooted up some... he is working behind it to do some electrical and add a window. So the room is actually bigger than this!

Anyway, my husband is one of those people who can do everything... cabinetry, electrical wiring, plumbing... it's amazing. He amazing. He has rebuilt kitchens before and we've flipped two former foreclosures doing this. This was always his favorite house ever growing up (it was in the family) and now we own it, so he's really excited to make this our dream kitchen.

So far, he's moved up the window two inches so the counter will be a typical height, added another window, reworked the plumbing, added a drain line outside, redid some of the electrical outlets, and added some lights in the bay window. Also, there's been a lot of insulation and prep work. So, lots of behind the scenes stuff to make that place ready to be a kitchen. We also have a bunch of red oak boards for cabinets and there are lots of plans. It's going to be gorgeous.

Anyway. We have a lot of work ahead of us, but it's going to be EPIC when it's done...

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:17 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

OKAY. OFFICIAL NANO POST.

Starting at 25953 words today.

I... am behind again. XD I am not very excited about this scene. It was boring since it didn't have the wolf character and that made me sad. See, Tristian was supposed to go to the gate to the castle grounds, play his flute, and make everyone fall asleep. But... I dunno, it seemed too boring. So then I added a pompous fellow named Magnus the Magnificent Musician who was already at the gate and VERY OFFENDED that Tristian was trying to steal his spot which he had worked up for. And then I realized that it probably seemed really random so I froze and panicked because WHAT.

WELL. I need to catch up. So I am just going to go for it, lol. I think I am going to add the wolf, because I love the wolf and that will make the words flow easier, even though the wolf isn't actually going to say anything. Then I am going to have Tristian and Magnus do a face-off and maybe a battle of the flutes. (YES, TRISTIAN STILL HAS THE SAME FLUTE AS BEFORE.) It's going to be epic.

Remember, a stranger once told you that the breeze here is something worth writing poems about.
— Shinji Moon