z

Young Writers Society

Ladys NaNo Project: Double Agent(working title)

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:38 am
View Likes
LadyMysterio says...

Verena is one of the top agents of an elite group of undercover spy's. This part of an organization named S.P.Y (Special prosecution enforcement Yield(also working acronym and name) Or course with every rain cloud is their personal ray to sunshine. In this case the ray of sunshine name is James. James if Verena's personal getaway driver, get in the chair, donut enthusiast, and general nuisance to Verena's life(or so she claims)

Together they've accomplish many missions, loyally completing any tasks to any level, for their boss.

After nearly flunking a stake out, their assigned to an undercover mission in a teeny tiny seemingly harmless country where their suppose to take out a key political player. A player who is no where near what they expect.
I know my worth, anyone else opinion doesn't really matter
-Agent Carter

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:14 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

I am WEAK for a grumpy/sunshine love story with dangerous spy stakes!! (I know you didn't say there's a love story but lol a romance gal can dream! please say there's a love story)
Best of luck this NaNo <3
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

56 Reviews

Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:04 am
View Likes
LadyMysterio says...

Yay!! I mean it's not currently planned between the main leads, but who knows what will happen
-Agent Carter

56 Reviews

Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:07 pm
View Likes
LadyMysterio says...

Day 1 Word count:1100
not too bad! I was a bit short of my goal so I will have to try and catch up today.
-Agent Carter

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:25 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

LadyMysterio wrote:Yay!! I mean it's not currently planned between the main leads, but who knows what will happen

SO THERE'S HOPE. :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

56 Reviews

Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:53 pm
View Likes
LadyMysterio says...

Gonna post my chapters on here
-Agent Carter

56 Reviews

Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:15 pm
View Likes
LadyMysterio says...

Donut Crumbs
Chapter one

The sweet smell of donuts mingled with the sterile smell of the new BMW, as James opened the donut box. Again.
Verena glanced down at it," You getting crumbs in the car."
James started down at the floor, cheeks bulging, and muttered an "oops" as best he could.

Verena brushed a few crumbs off the leather seat, and turned her attention back to the bulky pair of binoculars she held." How come you buy a box of donuts every time we go on a stake out?"

James brushed the crumbs off his hands, "Why would I not waste company money while being paid to sit and wait?"

Verena peered into a window, only half invested in James' response,"Alright, fair."

James nodded, happy with the response, and held out a donut to her,"and yet you never have one?"

"Do I ever?"

A pause. They both knew the answer.

"No...But there's a first time for everything?"

"Sugar will mess with my focus" She ignored James pout,"Somethings not right." She sighed. Lowering the binoculars and staring intently at the mansion.

James started at the back of her head. She’ been studying the same set of windows for the past hour and almost nothing seemed to be changing. At this point he was sure she’d memorized every line of stone and sculpted trim on the building.

They’d been sent on a small stake out mission for a local politician during one of his many, many campaign parties. Something about possible foul play. Not that the Cooperation really cared, they just wanted him alive, even if other parties were trying to sabotage that.

"You say that a lot." He was left holding a donut in mid air between them. It hovered there for a moment, before he violently stuffed it into his mouth.

"No, but it's true. It's like the same shadows have been going back and forth."

James inspected another donut, this one was rather fluffy looking covered in a layer of slick chocolate icing,"it's a bunch of old men in suits and their trophy wives. I don't know if their bones are strong enough to do more than stand."

He got a grunt in response. One of her favorite responses. He’d heard them enough to categorize the different types. This one was,”I agree, but i'm too focused to say so right now.”

James shrugged, stuffed the first donut in his mouth and shut the box on the other. Patting it lovingly.

Verena lowered the binoculars, "I'm gonna do a round."

"Ooooh can I come!" James jumped in this seat like an excited puppy. While he wasn't trained as an agent, how hard could sneaking around be? He did it all the time when he stole donuts from the community room pastry table.

Verena snorted,"and repeat what happened in Russia? I think not."

"See this is why I eat donuts on steak outs! So I don't get distracted by pastries later! Logic!," he tapped his temple,"can I please at least help you with the grapple?"

Verena was crawling into the stripped clean back of the vehicle. "I need you to stay here and keep a lookout. You're my getaway driver, to be a getaway driver."

Letting out a far longer than need be sigh, James agreed,"Fine."

Resting his chin beside the headrest, he watched Verena pull out a collection of various techy looking items. It was true, he was the getaway driver, although in his contract it said something fancier sounding then that. But getaway driver was the simplest way to put it. He'd considered Guy-In-The-Chair, but he wasn't nearly that techy, and he did far more driving than computer work. Unless he had to fill out paperwork for missions. His most dreaded task.

Verena was trained to scale walls and creep around like a fly on the wall. He had to admit she looked pretty cool doing it. Even if he was usually the only one who saw her doing it. Maybe that's why he wanted to join in somehow. Not that he had any idea of what the various gadgets now strapped to her being did.

Verena slid a pair of black night vision goggles over her eyes,"keep the chatter limited please."Various buckles clicking into place and clasps being pushed followed her request.

James nodded and tapped his earpiece," you look like a frogman. Woman? Frog woman? Frog woman.”

"Those are divers James," her deadpan tone was lost in the thick bulletproof interior.

He shrugged, not fully convinced,”still."

Verena slinked out of the backdoor, waving her hand in dismissal when James whispered,l"don't die frogwoman," at her disappearing figure.
"Your nick-name is frogwoman now." he said decided, no one hearing but the nearly empty suv.

Once his partner vanished in the darkness, James snatched the last donut, "shotgun!" he muttered. Then nestled himself comfortably in Verena vacant drivers seat.
"And now. We wait." He looked down at the last donut in his hand," it's just you and me. Probably just me soon. Because only one of us is editable, at least ideally that is."

After an hour of ducking down as distant headlights flashed by. His final donut had long disappeared, and Jamas starting to get tired of staring at the stagnant looking mansion. He'd memorized the way the extravagantly carved stone framed the doors and windows, the neatly kept gardens that seems to form an intricate maze around it. Making him wonder if there was a hidden maze that could spring out from it.

He squinted at his glow-in-the-dark-watch. A techy advancement designed as a old analog bronze watch, witth dark numbers blearily shining up at him,"How big of a mansion is it?"

A cold dark hand reached around from behind the seat and pressed his head into it, covering his mouth." Not that big actually, I’m just thorough," a familiar testing voice tickled his ear.

James let out a very muffled scream, then tugged the hand down, and twisted in his seat to better face his assailant,"Frogwoman! You've got to stop doing that!"

Verena placed her elbows on the center console, holding her chin in her hands like a schoolgirl and smiling mischievously,"I will when you're become more aware of your surroundings."

James studied her cheeky smile,"uh huh, sure you will."
He was fairly sure her HOBBY was sneaking up on him. She knew he would never sneak up on her. He was sure that one day he could, but that day was a long time coming. He sighed, at least she had a hobby, something other than her addiction to her work.

Verena pulled out a small circular device and pressed a button, a small holographic blueprint lit up the vehicle,"I traced a basic layout of the mansion.I'm going to go investigate more thoroughly. You can track my movements through this."

James leaned in so close he his head almost disrupted the holograph,"Cool. What are these?" He pointed at or rather stuck his finger into two small red dots beside each other."

"That",Verena pulled her goggles back down with one hand," is the Prime minister and his bodyguard," I'll appear as a green dot when I’m in there."

James gingerly lifted the device out of her other hand, "alrighty then."
He looked back up at Verena, or rather the blank space in the car where her head had been,"frog-Verena?"
He twisted around in his seat, balancing the hologram in one had," aw man, how does she do that.”

When he’d first been paired with her, he’d gone through a phase of wondering if she was simply a figment of his imagination and he was going crazy. Given the way she seemed to vanish and appear with no giveaway whatsoever. Until he realized that, One, others knew of her, Two, he was just really bad at being quiet.

He focused back to the hologram, and set it on the console, staring at it,"guess i'll just watch you through here."

James curled knees up to his chin and wrapped his arms around his legs, tapping his fingers to a silent beat on his biceps,"any minute now."

As he glanced back towards the mansion a flash of red caught his eye, and he leaned back into the hologram,"There you are!" he studied the wholly plain red dot that hovered on the far west wide of the mansion,"why isn't it moving?"

As if in response to his question, the dot inched along what seemed to be the wall of the mansion. James measured the distance between the red dot and the two blue dots with his finger, then held his finger up to the full size mansion that lay a few meters away from him.
”I wonder what scale this is in." he turned back to the hologram,concern creeping into his mind as Verena crept around the mansion.

His fingers tapped a faster and faster beat as the distance between the dots grew smaller and smaller. Soon his teeth joined in the melody. If anyone else had happened to peek in the vehicle window they would have thought he was crazy. But he had found the only way he could sit in suspense, was to play the notes in his mind as discreetly as possible.

The frenzied percussion froze as the dots suddenly encountered. His breath caught as if he’d just reached the plot twist of a novel.

"I sure hope your above them, and not in front of them," James wrinkled his brow, trying to render some idea of a picture of that specific room in his brain. Instead he came up with some videogame looking picture of a typical mansion ballroom.

The dots were frozen for so long. James started to wonder if the hologram was lagging.
He nudged it gingerly. The dots still held their station. Staring back at him brightly until his eyes burned and he blinked away dots.

James tilted his head towards the mansion, darted his eyes towards the hologram, and then studied the mansions brightly lit windows inch by inch.

The same shadows swayed.

The same shadows.

He thought back to Verenas thoughts on said shadows.

He tapped his fingers furiously on the driver's side door. His job was to stay here, to be ready no matter what, or however long Verena knew how to handle herself. Heck she was the most highly trained agent in the corporation. But things happen. Sometimes fate pushed its way in and the only thing you could do was hope.

James nearly hit his head on the window when the hologram beeped amorously behind him. He scrambled to turn back to it. The dots had vanished, leaving a haunting empty blueprint.

James tapped on his earpiece,"Verena?" tapped it again,"VERENA?"

He tapped the ear comm so hard and with such frequency, he almost heard the IT unit getting mad at him. But he had bigger problems then wrecking tech.

He started at the mansion, mumbling"sheknows whatshesdoingsheknowswhatshesdoing."

He felt a shudder bubble up from the wheels and continue into the body of the car. Rattling equipment in the back seats. Or did it?
He couldn't tell what was real and what was a figment of his adrenaline pumped mind.

The car shuttered again, some silent pressure sent barreling through the air. The hologram toppled off the center conceal and onto the passenger seat

Black sky gave way to searing light, knocking James back in his perched position on the seat.

The windows of the manion now held hot forceful flames in place of warm inviting light.

James started at it. His faint reflection in the window of the luxury suv revealing the flames reflected his horrified brown eyes

If he swore he would have.

Instead, he bit the inside of his cheek, contemplating the possibilities in his head.

Possibilities be darned and thrown out the window.

James all but kicked the door open, the need for stealth lost in the chaos of destruction.
What use was a getaway driver if you couldn't get to the getaway driver. He nearly made it to the nearest window before the heat stopped him. He stared at it. Where had Verena been before the dots vanished? He knew the target had been in the room visible from the car. Which should be on the other side of the window he stood in front of.

Question was, how did one get past that window. He took another step forward, the ground crunching beneath him. Glinting slivers peeked out from under his shoes. Some of the windows had been blown out.

Well, he could climb through then. He’d climbed his fair share of trees as a kid, fallen out of almost just as many too. How was this any different? It was hard stone instead of a ladder of naturally sprawled branches. Not really that different. If you didn't think about it too much

He hopped back a few steps, and ran, launching himself towards the stone wall under the window. Heavy boots flinging glass into the air as he landed a few feet up the wall. Clinging to the few crevices and bumps that decorated the building. James peered up, the window sat about two feet above him.

His right hand crept upward, fingers feeling out the next crack he could stick his fingers in. Finding one he hoisted himself up a few inches. Then reached his left arm out.

Finally he wrapped a hand around the window sill, heat searing his hands. He remembered the heavy pair of gloves sitting neatly on the dash.

James started to reach his other arm up, but paused, fingers clinging to a crevice halfway to the window. Something was burning into his back. He carfully turn his head to the side, trying to see what was behind him.

A man stood a few feet below him, clothed in some strange cross between a black tie suit and combat gear. James sunk his head into the wall and closed his eyes,"Aw come on."

The man lifted a finger and tapped his earpiece, James heard his fizzle," Operative Jameson, you've overstepped your position. Drop.”

Well that was on heck of a command. James pressed his ear against his shoulder, activating his earpiece again,"I know. I'm already up here, let me find her.”

"Agent Laufy needs no finding. Drop" the command was repeated.

"If I said please, would it make a difference?"

'"Drop. Thats an order and your final warning."

James breathed in the smell of smoke wafting from the window, and flung himself upward. His grasp slipped on the sill as a whisper flew through the air behind him. A small point dug into his back, and shocked his nervous system into near heaven.

"Guess I'm dropping" he watched the window fade away.
-Agent Carter

56 Reviews

Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:15 pm
View Likes
LadyMysterio says...

Making it large font so its easier to read if people are on mobile
-Agent Carter

Random avatar

Reviews: 67
Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:56 pm
View Likes
deleted32 says...

I love James already afdjadshfkjasdfh
She who calls the stars to shine

pain is that feeling when you are feeling hurt, but it never goes away leaving me hurt. oh it hurts.
— Dragonthorn