nano 2023: shōganai

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:48 pm
View Likes
envy says...

shōganai / しょうがない
it cannot be helped

my grandmother, born in 1932, lived through the second world war. she lived just miles from hiroshima, but she was lucky enough to have been staying with family across the country when the bombs were dropped. her mother died, her father died, all three of her brothers died. when she came home, she came home to nothing. she had not gotten a letter, a telegram, or anything -- there was no one left to send one.

i have never met her & i think i never will, but she lives on in me. on my fifteenth birthday, she sent me a collection of hundreds of diary pages & postcards. they dated back to as early as 1942, three years into the war. frankly, the pages are unreadable. the handwriting is that of a ten year old who was taken out of school & living in the midst of a warzone. it isnt pretty, but i can read bits & pieces of it.

for nano, i am going to be transcribing everything into english. i know that isnt traditional & it might not count, but this is very meaningful to me. i am going to be filling in those bits & pieces of missing information with my own writing. in a way, i am writing a biography for my grandmother. her story should be told.
all of the footprints you've ever left & the fear expecting ahead

26 Reviews

Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:44 pm
View Likes
envy says...

perhaps stuck in a rut lately. i havent gotten around to this yet with all of my other real life priorities, but i plan on starting tomorrow.

26 Reviews

Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:51 pm
View Likes
envy says...

550 words written ~

starting off slow. i dont want to rush myself since translating can get overwhelming. a lot of emotions going on in my head now, mostly bittersweet ones. but i am very excited to learn more about my family in this way. :)

26 Reviews

Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:36 am
View Likes
envy says...

665 words written today
1215 words in total ~

i wasnt expecting to write much today, but i had some time after school. i got through a majority of the postcards today & one of the letters. i am very tired though, so i have a feeling tomorrow might be dedicated to research.

The fellow who thinks he knows it all is especially annoying to those of us who do.
— Harold Coffin