z

Young Writers Society

NaNo 2023: Colour of Dandelions

476 Reviews

Reviews: 476
Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:37 am
View Likes
Apricity says...

with mildly extra planning than 2022 with the plot mostly, and wildly in chaos.

The story centers around two main characters situated in diametrically opposed worlds. K , our nameless protagnoist has grown up in the Dandelion district of a once flourishing jungle metropolis. As one of the many strays that calls the Dandelion district his home, he makes a living taking shady jobs the wealthy relegates to those who knows how to navigate the shadows.

Our second protagonist, is the daughter of temple guardians. She is the next in line to carry on her family's legacy as the protector of the a practice passed down through centuries to ensure the survival of their village. Every year, a water ritual is performed and foretells prophecies of fortune and misfortune for the villagers. This year, it's Si's turn. And the ritual reveals something damning that irrevocably sets Si's life on a separate course.

I totally didn't try to write this as part of my LMS contest.LMV VI: The Colour of Dandelions - Chapter 1.1

Author's note: I'm not very much a figure out the plots person at all when I write long form stories. I'm very much a poet first and novelist second, maybe even third. The idea for this novel was centered around two core ideas I wanted to explore. How even really nice and really kind people at heart, can be pushed to perform devastating needs when they're caught in very dire situations and their redemption, if any from those deeds. And how two people from two very polarising worlds and views, come to meet and discover what they previously thought were complete opposites perhaps share a lot more similarities.

The novel also tackles the struggle of wanting to belong somewhere when it feels authentically not yourself, and the struggle of learning against what you've been taught your whole life when you realise it's not what you necessarily want or need. Think themes of familial trauma etc
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:19 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

wildly in chaos is an official motto for NaNo.

I LOVE the themes and ideas you're exploring with this idea!! Also, because you're a poet first you probably naturally have a more "literary" prose style which lends itself well to being more character focused than plot focused. Best of luck this NaNo! I'm excited to see what you create :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

476 Reviews

Reviews: 476
Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:05 pm
View Likes
Apricity says...

Thank you for the encouragement @Carlito! I think I'm going to treat this NaNo as mostly a get my ideas down on paper in random order because that's better than nothing at all!
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

No, it's not that you didn't succeed. You accomplished a lot, but, if you want to touch people, don't concentrate so much on rhyme and metre. Think more about what you want to say instead of how you're saying it.
— LCDR Geordi La Forge