NaNo 2023: A Sky Full of Stars

659 Reviews

Reviews: 659
Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:49 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

NaNo 2023: A Sky Full of Stars

(Working Title)

This is a story about life and death and surviving in the in-between. Its about crumbling instituations, disintegrated homes and a corrupted world grasping at straws to make things work. But mostly, its about people and human nature and how often it brings us to our knees.

This is more of a passion project to explore other genres of writing (since I've always really stuck to realistic fiction). In fact, this will be my first attempt at writing a dystopian story, so suffice it to say, this project will never see the light of day. I've had this idea in my head for too long and right now, I just want to see where it goes.

Goals: write as much as I can!
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:44 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

PLANMO JOURNAL

“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:45 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

1. Elevator Pitch

Skye was 10 years old when she watched her father walk out of their house for the last time after being summoned by the government. So this time when the same hooded cars appeared in front of their house with a summons for her brother, she did not hesitate. She followed blindly after the only family, the only sense of stability she had left in her life. However, what she never expected was to be discovered, branded as 'useless' and dropped in the middle of a very dangerous, very lawless world. Lost and alone, and with no means of returning to the safety she once knew, Skye discovers what it takes to survive and what it really means to live.

― Margaret Mitchell

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:39 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Ooooh I love that you're using NaNo to try something completely new and outside your normal wheelhouse! Best of luck this NaNo :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

659 Reviews

Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:43 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Thanks, @Carlito!

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:02 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

2. Main Character

When we start out with the story, Skye is a rather naïve girl who despite her 17 years on this Earth, is rather unfamiliar with how it works. This is mostly because the world as we know it has been proceeding towards its destruction since before she was born. She has never known peace, never known stability. She has grown up listening to bombs falling from the sky, surrounded by nothing but poverty, carnage and ruin. Still, she has somehow managed to lead a more sheltered life, with her father's high ranking government job allowing them the liberty of food, shelter and a somewhat inconsistent source of income.

Skye's mother, unable to cope with their changing circumstances withdrew into a shell of her old self and has been much more of an absent figure in both her children's life. On the other hand, she shared a very tense yet dependent relationship with her father, who was the only guardian from whom she sought emotional assurance. Her father was not necessarily a decent role model - he was driven by power and ambition and was often caught up in their consequences. However, he was the only pillar of authority in little Skye's life, the one who shaped her childish dreams and desires. In fact, her father's disappearance was the very first domino that fell - his absence in her life moulding her into the girl she is today.

If her father was the mould, then her brother was the hand that shaped her. Skye shares an anxious attachment with her brother. After her father disappeared, and her mother became a ghost of her old self, her brother Mike took on the role of guardian in her life. Much of what she knows about the world and its ways came from him. Even though he is only three years older than her, she looks up to Mike because she has always needed that one person in life who pats her on the head and tells her everything is going to be okay. Mike, who has the gift of a brilliant intellect, took her on like a project, taught her and showed her the ways of the world as one would do one's child. There is certainly affection in their bond, but it is overweighed by a self esteem issues on Skye's side and a misplaced sense of responsibility on Mike's. However, Mike like his father, is ruled by his ambition and his goals in life. He has plans in life and he often forgets to accommodate his sister into them.

When Mike follows his father's footsteps and disappears from her life on a bright Tuesday afternoon, Skye is left all alone. She does not have much idea about the world or the work that called her family away from her. She only knows that some men came to take away her brother and she follows them because they took with them the only life she was comfortable living.

That is Skye at the beginning of the novel. A naïve , innocent girl who strides headfirst into a situation, driven entirely by her emotions. Her conflict for the majority of the story is entirely with herself and her misguided habit of associating her sense of identity with her family. She starts off the journey by searching for her brother, but ends up discovering herself along the way.

Another very important aspect of her character is acceptance. When she is left with no one to depend upon other than herself, she comes to accept herself and the woman she's been forced to become in the face of unimaginable hardships. For majority of the story, she struggles with this as it does not align with her sense of right and wrong. But she comes out on the other side, a strong, brave and fierce woman, and a force to be reckoned with.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:07 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

3. Side Characters

These are just a couple of the characters who appear in the first half of the novel.

Mike Wilder (20 years old) - Mike is only three years older than Skye, but he has always been mature for his age. He has a brilliant mind and he uses it to plot and plan his way to the top. He shares his father's intellectual ambitions but is way more driven and sorted than him. He is fond of his sister and enjoyed raising her, not out of love or familial bond but because he took pleasure in exerting power and influence and essentially guiding and shaping an individual. He does have emotions and he does care about his family but sentiment for him often takes a back seat to his ambitions.

Mel (15 years old) - Mel is the first person Skye comes across once her plan to rescue her brother goes horribly wrong. Mel is sweet and kind and just as terrified as her but she is also brave in a way Skye can only aspire to be at that moment. Skye admires her and feels responsible for another human being for the first time in her life. But at that point in the story, they are both inexperienced and naïve and things go horribly wrong for the duo. All that aside, Mel and Skye are friends and confidantes and she is the first person in whom Skye finds companionship outside of her family.

Frank (42 years old) - Frank is a complex yet simple character in the sense that he is neither ruled by emotions or ambitions. His only aspiration is to survive and he does it through whatever way he deems necessary. He is not concerned with whatever is going on in the world around him - his world ended the day he lost his family. But he is not mourning for his loss or grieving - he is just existing the only way he knows how. He may come across as cold and selfish and that is because he is all that and more. That is one of the reason why he acts as a foil for Skye who is often too overwhelmed by her own emotions. By becoming sort of her mentor, he plants the seeds of change in not only her but also in himself. For Frank, learning to care and empathize is a very important aspect of his character development which especially comes into play when he sees a reflection of some of his worst qualities in Skye at some later point in the story.

Edith (38 years old) - She is technically Sam's aunt but honestly, she acts as the mother figure of every child/teen character we come across in the story. She is a caring guardian, a wise leader and the face of the restoration movement. There are times when her emotions cloud her judgement which calls her leadership into question. But she is also the only one can bring everyone together and the only who can make the decisions no one else wants to.

Sam (14 years old) - Sam is definitely my favourite character as of yet. He is a lonely kid when we first meet him but he is always full of life and excitement even in the most dire of situations. Through him, we get to view this corrupted and damaged world from the lens of a child who is a representation of all that was once innocent in that world. Sam is brave and strong and he only really longs for a family and he tries to catch a glimpse of it in every relationship he forms in the novel. He is also the most loyal character out of the bunch, a quality that often gets him caught in the middle of conflicts that are far too dangerous for him to be tangled in. His friendship with Skye is the most wholesome relationship in the entire novel and it is essentially what saves her from falling into an abyss countless times. Sam who is as different from her brother as any person can be, teaches her that affection can come easy and it doesn't always require a price.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:12 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

4. Most Challenging Character

Clarke is definitely the most challenging character in this novel, mostly because I myself am still in the process of figuring him out. Clarke has been left to fend for himself since childhood, so there is no situation or problem that he has not been able to work his way out of. He was willingly handed away by his father to an intelligence camp on his 17th birthday. His intellect and youthful strength makes him an advantage everyone wants to keep on their side, but Clarke is a soldier of no sides. He is ruled entirely by self-interest and a fascination for power that he does not know what to do with. He is extremely smart, cunning and borderline antisocial. Everything is a game for him and he plays solely to win.

His development in the story takes place in the form of connections he reluctantly forms with certain people. When a game runs out of his favour for the first time in his life, he learns that he is not willing to pay the price of losing. He realizes that his actions have consequences and some of them might be too monumental for even him to work his way out of.

He is the only character who always puts himself first and it will be challenging to portray that in a way that does not make him out as a complete villain. In fact, watching him learn to empathize, grow and care is just as rewarding for me as the writer and I want him to come across as someone worthy of being saved.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:32 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

5. Character & Location List

This will definitely keep growing as I proceed with the novel, so I am mentioning only a few right now.

Characters:

Spoiler! :
Skye, Sam, Frank, Mike, Edith, Clarke, Justin, Mel, Tory, Alex, Daphne, Thomas, Robert, Cass, Gabriel, Tess

Spoiler! :
Skye's house in the city, the City Capital where Mike is brought, the No-Man's Lands where Skye is deserted, the hillside caverns, the Triage (where she is taken after being kidnapped) Clarke's camp (haven't figured out a name for this yet), Edith's Base (no name yet)

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:37 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 1

Words Written: 237

Started slowly and I mostly dragged through some descriptions today. Will probably scrap them later because I don't want to info-dump right at the beginning of the story. I definitely hope I feel more inspired tomorrow!

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:44 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 2

Words Daily: 839

Total Words: 1076

Things picked up today! I have got the opening scene out of the way but I feel its important to establish Mike and Skye's sibling relationship first since that lays the groundwork for her character.

Also, long sentences are the bane of my existence. It took me 2 hours to simplify them into something readable without having to completely rewrite. Apparently though, they are a habit of mine, so that's something I'll have to keep in mind for the future.

Excerpt:

Spoiler! :
She stood outside the gate for a moment, hand wrapped tightly around the rough iron, still wet from the previous night's rain. Mike had already crossed the short pathway to the greenhouse and was now unlocking it with a key he had in a chain around his neck. She recognized the silver as it glinted under the torchlight.

'Father had it forced closed before he left,' she remembered him saying, 'We can't get in without his key.'

She watched now as Mike nudged the door open with his shoulder and hooked the familiar key chain back around his neck, tucking it into his shirt and out of her sight. He then turned towards her, a little annoyed at still finding her outside the gate.

"Well, what are you waiting for? Come on!"

Skye had found herself in similar situations many times in her life, she realized. She had stood on the threshold of recklessness before and followed her brother blindly, paying no heed to any danger that might await them. And all because she would rather walk into the unknown with him than face a reality where she allowed him to venture out alone, without knowing if he would ever come back. But this time, as she closed the gate behind her and trudged through the wet mud to where he was still holding the door open for her, she felt unease settle deep inside her.

Something was different. The spark in his eyes was too bright, too manic; the light in them felt foreign. And as the door closed behind her for the final time and darkness enveloped them, she had a feeling that nothing would ever be the same again.

― Margaret Mitchell

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:28 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

ah i love that excerpt, Random!! the vibes are <3 (iron gate, recent rain, silver key - so poetic, somehow) and i can't wait to read more :3
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

659 Reviews

Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:37 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Thanks, @Spearmint! That's the vibe I was going for!

― Margaret Mitchell

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:43 am
View Likes
Voidsoul says...

I love this, especially your characters <3 good luck!
*dances randomly and hands you a cosmic brownie*

659 Reviews

Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:45 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

day 3

A little late with the update, but I am currently nearing the end of Chapter 1. I thought about dividing it into two, but I want this to mark 'the innocent' phase in Skye's life when she can afford to be oblivious to what is going on around her. Chapter 1 will end with Mike's leaving, so yes, its a monster of a chapter.

Words Daily: 814

Total Words: 1890

― Margaret Mitchell

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You’re moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You’ve just crossed over into… the Twilight Zone.
— Rod Serling