Young Writers Society

NaNo 2023: A Sky Full of Stars

659 Reviews

Reviews: 659
Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:37 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

day 4

Was out running errands all day so did not get to write at all yesterday. But I got some of the plot points lined up in my head, so at least, I know where I am going from here.
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:08 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

day 5

Wrote quite a lot today and covered some of the final and most important scenes between the siblings. I will definitely have to go back to do some heavy editing, but I am happy with how some of these scenes panned out.

However, now that I am done with the 1st chapter, the real trial will begin for Skye and I am excited as well as nervous, because this is where everything starts.

Daily Wordcount: 1017

Total Wordcount: 2907

An excerpt:

Spoiler! :
Skye knew she was losing time and in a final desperate attempt, she clutched the bars of the cell.

"Take me with you, then! If you can't stay, then let me come with you as well!" She watched him hesitate for a moment and added hoarsely, "Please!"

He shook his head in silent exasperation and she suddenly felt like a 7 year old child again, who knew no better.

"Where I am going, there won't be any use of you. You'll be safer with Mother and I'll actually be able to work without having to worry about what you might be up to."

Something like bitterness settled inside her at his words and she tried and failed to reign in the old yet familiar resentment inside her.

But, of course. Whatever made his life more convenient.
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:57 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

day 6

Made a lot of progress today, at least plot wise. I officially entered the part of the novel that is based entirely on the woods and the Old Country, so I will need to focus more on world-building now.

Daily Wordcount: 2198

Total Wordcount: 5105

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:22 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

day 8

I have decided to extend 'Skye's finding her way in the woods' part of the novel. Its her first real confrontation with the world out there and I think its better to let her get a feel of it all before introducing her to other characters (Mel). I will work on her entry scene tomorrow.

Today's Wordcount: 1829

Total Wordcount: 6934

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:32 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

day 9

I covered Mel and Skye's introduction scene and finished Chapter 4 today. I changed the circumstances of their meeting but I think this one suits their eventual friendship better than the scene I had imagined before. I am honestly glad to be done with this chapter because I had been worrying about executing their escape scene in a believeable manner. Now, I can actually focus on developing them as characters.

Daily Wordcount: 1989

Total Wordcount: 8923

An excerpt:

Spoiler! :
Skye paused at the fence, her overworked limbs threatening to give up as she pulled in some much-needed breaths. The adrenaline coursing through her veins insisted that she keep moving, but her legs were rooted to the spot as she stole a glance back at the building, hidden almost entirely by the darkness and the looming trees. Still, she could see the balcony they had escaped through; could recognize the window of the room they had locked her in.

Voices called out to each other in the dark, and she could hear them moving through the woods, frantic in their search for them.

Any moment now, they would find her standing at the doorway of her escape, shaking like the scared little girl she very much felt like.

“What are you doing?” Mel’s high whisper reached her, and she turned around to find her standing on the other side, her body ready to flee into the darkness at a moment’s notice.

She had waited for her, Skye realized. She had come back to look for her.

“Do you want to die? Is that it?” The question broke her out of her trance. She glanced back at the building one final time, at the darkness hiding their enemies who would be closing in on them in a minute now.

Enemies, she reminded herself. They were her enemies now.

“No, I don’t.”

Mel seemed to catch something in her voice. Her previous fury was replaced with understanding as she came up to her and took her hand.

“Then let’s go.”

This time, she did not hesitate. She ran.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:10 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 10

A very late and short update since I am still too tired to do much of anything right now.

Daily Wordcount: 973

Total Wordcount: 9896

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:12 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

day 11

Started on Chapter 6. Also, I crossed 10k words, so that's something I guess.

Daily Wordcount: 1003

Total Wordcount: 10899

― Margaret Mitchell

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:39 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

Congrats on that 10,000-word milestone! You got this!
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

659 Reviews

Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:46 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Thank you, @Liminality!

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:48 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Days 12 - 16

It was a week full of festivities where I live, and I did not get much time to write or update this thread. I still managed to cover most of Mel's backstory. Setting up her friendship with Skye was such a refreshing change of pace that I'm honestly hesitating to proceed with her storyline.

I'll try to include an excerpt tomorrow!

Total Wordcount: 13870

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:14 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

day 17

I am seriously running late for class right now so I will update in more details later!

Daily Word count: 2047

Total Word count: 15,917

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:22 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

day 18

At this point, I am not sure if I am going to hit the 50k mark, but hey, the goal has always been to write as much as I can. So I am hoping I can cover the first 20 chapters at least. I am currently on Chapter 9, and Chapters 10 - 11 will mostly comprise of internal monologues, so I hope I don't get burnout.

Daily Word count: 2289

Total Wordcount: 18206

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:04 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 20

I integrated a memory into this Chapter mostly to change the pace a little. Besides, considering the trauma I am putting her through, Skye deserves a little positive reinforcement every now and then. I am not that cruel.

Daily Wordcount: 3410

Total Word count: 21,616

A tiny excerpt:

Spoiler! :
"I'm sorry, were you stalking me?"
"What? No!" She looked aghast at the accusation, "I merely followed wherever you went without letting you know it was because of you."
"That's literally what stalking means!"

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:31 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 21

I should have been studying for my test tomorrow, but no, I spent the day traumatizing my characters some more. I finished Chapter 11 though and Skye gets captured in the next one. It'll set the next part of the story into motion and eventually bring her onto Frank's path. Still a long way to go though!

Daily Word count: 2979

Total Word count: 24,595

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:58 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

day 22

A very late update! I have about a hundred and one things to do right now, but I'll try to update again by tonight.

Daily Word count: 1989

Total Word count: 26,584

― Margaret Mitchell

"And what is the use of a book," thought Alice, "without pictures or conversations?"
— Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland