Messenger says...

You don't even know. Tbf neither do I

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:26 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

one word down, only 49999 to go!
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

663 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 663
Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:59 am
View Likes
Messenger says...

DAY ONE STATS

489 words
½ sick writer
9 homemade breaded chicken teddies

Total - 489

#Nanobites
When the sun shone it seemed to kiss the very spirals and embrace the stained glass windows that bordered every entrance to the Main Hall. The fountain sparkled in the light, the golden statue of several children pouring buckets into the pool glistening to all four corners of the earth.
Now, as Sir Backus approached it in the fleeting light of the evening, it resembled little more than a ghoulish recreation. The walls had fallen into disrepair, large holes gaping here and there, piles of stone heaped where it had collapsed in on itself. The fountain no longer spat out water, and even the statues had dulled to a pathetic brown. The cobblestone was covered in mud and leaves, showing no signs of use in the previous weeks. As for the manor itself, the paint was peeling, the windows were darkened, and in some cases, they were shuttered closed where the turquoise glass had once cast kaleidoscopes on the walls and pathways. Where garden beds had greeted visitors with a warm glow and fresh scent, ivy snaked up the walls out of control
Last edited by Messenger on Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:45 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

LOL the stats xD i hope you get well soon! also love the description of the fountain and the contrast with how it looks now 0.0
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

663 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:09 pm
View Likes
Messenger says...

DAY SIX STATS

I was sick, and then it was my birthday and then I was still sorta sick, so I took four days off, but we are back.

3494 (3983) words
1 mostly not sick writer
1 delicious Honey Citrus Mint Tea
1 egregiously large first chapter with death, creep, and the word decrepit

#nanobites
Down the left side, at the very end of the hall, light shone out of the only open door. Backus limped that way, his right foot threatening to catch his riding spur in the frayed rug. A stupid war injury had never healed properly, and when no one was looking it took far less effort, and much less pain, to let it dig along the ground. Still, when contrasted with this house, and the health of Sir Wynsley who lay at the end of the hall, presumably bedridden if Cathryn's outbursts had been an indication, his leg was fairing far better, and with a much brighter outlook.
The walk took almost a minute with the mix of the limp, and the size of the hall, but Backus took it all in. In the light from the main window, he could see the dust floating in the waning light. The house was silent save for the wracking cough coming from the room down the hall. It was so still. Before the War of Families, and even immediately after, it had been so alive. There were dances here, important dinners with the different house leaders, trade discussions, and even a celebration of the town's anniversary. Sir Wynsley had gained too much influence during the war, and Backus hated him for it. But now, through manipulation and sabotage, all would be right, just as soon as he signed away the land and belongings to House Backus. Within a year he would have control of the livestock and agriculture in the Hollow, and have the respect and needs of Gottingham in his hands.

663 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:57 pm
View Likes
Messenger says...

DAY SEVEN STATS PART 1

1316 (5299) words
1 desire to get my twice in a day badge for nano
5000k badge
2 days in a row badge
1 sweet guy who isn't sure if his crush will still care about him after 2 years

#nanobites
His homeland was filled with gorgeous woods, rolling mountains and streams, plains full of heather and fern covering the fertile, dark soil, and coastlines that punched at the sea with white and black cliffs and coarse, rocky beaches. If anyone should be disappointed, it should be them for missing out on such a breathtaking land.
He was pulled out of thoughts of home from heavy footsteps behind him. He leaned his back on the railing to face Captain Shank Blueshoes. When asked why he was named that, the captain had laughed and told Reggie that if he told him, he'd have to kill him. For all Reggie's curiosity, he thought the trade-off of knowledge for death didn't quite align with his notion of a good time.
Last edited by Messenger on Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

663 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:12 pm
View Likes
Messenger says...

DAY SEVEN PART 2

1584 (6883) words
1 twice in a day nano badge complete
1 Costco trip coming up
1 mediocre kombucha later

#nanobites
Janus was mounted to her left, holding both horse's reins in his hands, picking at his teeth with his free hand. His gaze wandered around the estate in the waning light, as if what was happening was not only a normal occurrence, but was far too ordinary to demand his attention in the least. He had an ever-present look on his face that teetered on the edge of a smirk or a snarl. Given how he had dragged her out the door, the two seemed to be interchangeable from one second to the next. He was a vile person, and what made it worse was that he looked so put-together and smelled of the finest perfume, like a knight should.

663 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:59 am
View Likes
Messenger says...

DAY 8 STATS

281 (7164) words
1 Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movie later...
1 very sleepy Messy

#nanobites

After three weeks at sea, the thought of being back on solid ground brought a smile to Reggie. While he had no qualms being on board a vessel, his feet felt sturdier with broken shale, muddy hillock, or forest undergrowth beneath his feet. He was sure his legs would resist the notion at first, as the had on his arrival in Velhurland six months prior. Captain Shank had promised that after a few trips at sea it would go away, and that if he did it enough, Reggie would find the gentle, constant rolling with the groans of timber and ruffles of sail a preferable choice to firm footing on solid ground.

663 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:46 am
View Likes
Messenger says...

DAY ELEVEN STATS - yes i forgot 9 and 10 lol

802 (11,125) words
3 days off work incoming
1 daily crisis about the quality of what was written
1 happy moment telling people about my Cathryn of Wynsley
1 debate about miss, mrs, madam and ma'am history and meanings

#nanobites

Cathryn inhaled slowly, the cool air and subtle breeze helping to relax her ever-so-slightly. Her face felt rough and worn from the tears and the constant wiping away of them with her dress sleeve. She hated leaving her home, but especially leaving with her father strapped over Janus's saddle. It didn't feel right, but as they began the descent down the hill, Janus took a left at a small fork in the road. Her father's body had been wrapped in linen and tied to the back of his saddle. That made Cathryn mad. He deserved proper treatment, a cart at the very least to keep his body still and covered from the public eye. Instead, he was handled like a sack of flour. But she feared that any more lip from her would surely result in being berated by Janus or denied by Backus, and she felt too spent to do anything about it.

663 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:35 pm
View Likes
Messenger says...

DAY FOURTEEN STATS

4483 (16559) words
1 book came in the mail for meee
1 use of the word supine (thanks kinesiology class)
1 very long afternoon and new record for words in a day during nano

#nanobites

She waited for Gertrude to exit and shut the door before she laid her robe on the small cart and slipped the into the tub. The hot water nearly washed away everything she was felling both on the outside and inside, and for a moment, all felt right. Such was the power of a hot bath.

663 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:56 am
View Likes
Messenger says...

DAY SIXTEEN STATS

1732 (19680) words
1 tired, tired, mess
6680 words behind schedule lol
9 chapters down

#nanobites

"Ever been on one of these?" Reggie asked.
"No. Prefer to stay on land. Don't trust deep waters," Wain said.
"Scared the monsters of the deep are gonna get you, eh?" Reggie joshed giving Wain an elbow.
"I'm just saying that we know very little of what goes on beneath the waves, and what we do know terrifies me."
"Can't be worse than the marshes back home," Reggie said.
Wain crossed his arms. "No one said I had to like those either. I just prefer solid ground beneath my feet."
"And yet you can barely stay in a saddle."
Reggie ducked, expecting the playful punch from Wain.
"I'm a far better rider than you or anyone else in Leed's Hollow," Wain hollered.
"Don't need to ride when I can just pick you off with an arrow."
"You haven't touched a bow in years, Reggie, and more importantly, that would be murder."
"Only if someone sees me. I'd just do it in the Dappled Woods. No one would dare go there," Reggie said.
"That old place isn't even haunted.," Wain waved a dismissive hand.
"Tell that to the people of Leeds Hollow. Someone took those children all those years ago!"
"Because there's no chance it could have been quicksand, the marshes, inclement weather, or hazardous bluffs," Wain said.
Reggie clapped his hands together. "See, so you do admit it's haunted."
"You're an idiot," Wain smirked. "You would think over the last two years you may have learned how to pick up on sarcasm, but as always has been, I am still the smarter cousin."
"As long as we can agree it it is not your sister."
Wain rolled his eyes. "We have found common ground."

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:46 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

6680 words behind schedule lol

perpetually behind nanoers unite!
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

663 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:16 pm
View Likes
Messenger says...

We in the club! probably why we're behind schedule

By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return.
— Genesis 3:19