Nano 2023: The Murder of Presley Scott

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:23 am
View Likes
KocoCoko says...

The Murder of Presley Scott

NaNo 2023, Goal: Write 30,000 words

Content warning: murder, violence, grief, death, the paranormal, domestic abuse, etc.

Screenshot_20231031_230817_Gallery.jpg

Plot:

Three girls. One dead, one injured. Summer of 2005, in the middle-of-no-where Arizona. 

Marnie Baskins was walking to her friend's house when she heard a cry come from the woods. Ever the goody-two-shoes, she followed the sound and found Presley Scott, dead from the knife wound in her chest, and Riley O’Neil, her shirt ripped and her shoulder bleeding. They  never found the murder weapon, and there were no fingerprints to trace. It was a stain on Wescott’s history and a case gone cold. Ever since the case was declared cold, Presley's parents hired a private investigator, Louise Williams, to solve their daughter’s murder case. Along with the help of a retired detective, the two set off to solve the case. Thankfully, it seems like they're being guided to all the right clues by some unnatural force, but the spirit's anger can get in the way of things at times.

------

Three girls. One dead, one injured. Summer of 2005, in the middle-of-no-where Arizona.

Marnie Baskins was the most popular girl in school, despite her constant teasing of the poorest girl at school, Riley O’Neil. Already pressured from the loss of her parents and living with her abusive, anger-ridden sister, Riley decides she has had enough and plucks a knife from her kitchen counter. The last straw was broken by the end of the day and a fight broke out on Marnie’s way home. Biting, grabbing, hair-pulling, and punching ensued as they fought for control of the knife.

Presley was Marnie’s neighbor. She only wanted to make sure nobody got hurt. She wasn’t meant to be there. 

It was just an accident. They couldn’t even tell who had had the knife by the time they saw the first blood.

It was the first time they ever agreed on anything: Hide the body, burn the evidence, never tell a soul what happened here. If one person tells, then everyone gets in trouble. 

Everytime Riley looks into a mirror, she sees a girl with a pink ribbon in her hair. Always out of reach, yet forever stalking. Presley was always the smartest kid in class.

She's lying in wait.

It's only a matter of time until she gets her rightful due.
they/she or she/they

28 Reviews

Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:51 am
View Likes
KocoCoko says...

The Main Characters:

Presley Scott: Paragon of all that is innocent and good. Shy, intelligent, and has an extremely kind heart. She wishes to become a doctor one day. Although endlessly against lying, she will do the other kids’ homework for an extra buck. Best friend of Marnie Baskins, and they make quite the duo. Her cheeks are round and chubby, her hair is sandy brown and in a ponytail, and she wears friendship bracelets and a pink ribbon in her hair everyday.

Riley O’Neil: On the bad side of town after her parents died in a plane crash. She mostly takes care of herself, as her sister barely wants to interact with her. Angry and upset at the world, and refuses to take any kind of disrespect. She’ll resort to violence easily if she knows it’ll get the job done. She loves playing outdoors and most of her clothes are dirt-stained. Her hair is dark brown, her eyes are deep green, and she only has about three shirts. She wears the same mud stained overalls everyday. Her hair is as short as most boys in her class and many people mistake her for one. Traditional tomboy, through and through. She doesn’t do too bad in school, but it’s rare she gets above a B.

Bailey O’Neil: 18 years old, Riley's older sister. She works in construction and wears the same jeans and light orange zip-up jacket everyday. Her glasses are at least three years old and she definitely needs a new prescription, but after the passing of her parents, money’s been so tight that she can’t do anything but pay the bills and make microwave meals. She’s about 6’0 and very lean, and her hair is the same shade and cut as Riley. She always has a scowl on her face and neglects her little sister daily. If she isn’t absorbed in her phone or TV show, she’s hitting things or yelling at Riley.

Marnie Baskins: The richest girl in town, everybody wants to be friends with her. She’s a bit stuck-up and always flaunting herself, but she’s not the worst. Marnie has dark skin and keeps her hair in a high ponytail. She wears a yellow dress and matching cardigan, always clean and kept nice. She has an older sister, older brother, and a nice mom and dad. Her best friend is Presley Scott. Presley is nice to everyone and does their work, Marnie does the talking. She’s smarter than she comes off to be, she just doesn’t like putting in the work.

Louise Williams: 24 year old private investigator, Louise is dedicated to any job she gets. Mostly because she doesn’t get many, but still. She and her girlfriend live in an apartment in the large city nearby. She spends her night up late and refuses to wake up before ten in the morning. Her girlfriend is a childcare worker.

Benjamin Austin: Louise’s uncle and mentor in the world of murder. He’s a pretty rugged, but he enjoys watching his niece’s cases and giving advice where he can. Louise only calls him when she desperately needs his help
they/she or she/they

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:50 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

Ooooh this sounds cool!! And I love a manageable 30k goal! Best of luck this NaNo! :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

28 Reviews

Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:37 am
View Likes
KocoCoko says...

So.

Funny little accident.... completely forgot to post the first 5-6 days.

BUT! I did write for those days, so...

Days 1-6

Word goal: 30,000
Word count: 6,002

Got a lot of writing done these past few days! Though, funny little thing I had to completely change the structure of the story because the first opening felt super bland and blagh. So that was super fun to rewrite and not incredibly frustrating considering I had 3,000 words at that point.

Anyways! Current goings on: Louise interviews Presley's parents about the murder, we learn some of the details and a bit of Louise's personality, she gets a visit from her girlfriend, and everything seems to be going normal... until her girlfriend (Charlotte) notices a pink ribbon left on her desk. Louise thinks nothing of it, but she keeps it in her pocket, just in case the Scott's want it back.

After this, the perspective will switch to Riley as we see a flashback of the events leading up to the murder.

Snippet:
Spoiler! :
“Alright, Mr. Scott,” I closed the notepad. “I don’t wanna torture you any longer. If I have any more questions for you, I’ll call.” I hand him a slip with my number. His hands were shaking violently as he took it. I brought my hand to his back, rubbing it slowly as I lead him to the door. “You can go now. Thank you for your time. I promise I’ll get to the bottom of this.”

“Thank you, Ms. Williams, thank you,” he repeated, using his wrist to wipe away stray tears.

I smiled at him. “Just call me Louise, sir.”

He left with just a small amount of composure, but it was enough to get him out the door. I pressed my ear against the door, waiting for his footsteps to disappear. He stopped for a moment, likely taking a hold of his wife, then two pairs of footsteps went off into the distance.

The moment I knew they were gone, I groaned and slammed my back against the door. “Jesus, man,” I whispered to myself. “God, I hate people. I’m not a therapist! And I’m supposed to be unbiased! Crying doesn’t do anything! Why can’t they just go catatonic for a second!?”

“Hm, I dunno,” a woman on the other side whispered. I could recognize that voice from across a crowded room.

I shrieked for a moment, then grinned. “Oh, um, sorry, you heard that?”

“Yeah,” Charlotte chuckled. “Can I…?”

“Oh! ‘Course!” I opened the door as fast as possible, flattening the frizz in my hair as best as possible. "Sorry about that."
they/she or she/they

I am deeply disturbed by your ability to meow.
— Carina