z

Young Writers Society

NaNo '23: The Gift and the Ghostspeaker

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:23 pm
View Likes
Voidsoul says...

Hello humans I decided to make a thread here because why not.
Welcome to the chaos that will be my progress-tracking of The Gift and the Ghostspeaker :D

WARNINGS:
1. This is a work of allegorical Christian fiction. I'm not trying to deter anyone from reading by any means, but just thought I'd put that out there.
2. This work of allegorical Christian fiction contains the following sensitive topics:

Spoiler! :
A suicidal character
A character who is abused in one chapter/has a trauma disorder
Demons, possession/drawing power from demons, and Nephilim (from a Christian point of view)

There are two rules in the post-apocalyptic Blanklands of Zephan: don’t go out at night, and don’t mess with the supernatural.

Valentine Lucen is the supernatural, and so are her targets—the immortals who rule the Blanklands with an iron fist, taking advantage of their once thought-to-be divine blood.
But they’re not the only ones who are Gifted, and Val’s own Gift is her key to revenge.

Back in the safety of Zephan City, Val’s estranged brother Rhys lives in luxury as the only son and heir of Ghostspeaker Nikolai Lucen. But he and his family have a secret; one they have to reveal in order to prove the sovereignty of the Ghosts once and for all.
But when the plan backfires, Rhys has to protect their secret and take it on the run, even while discovering his own Ghosts and their shocking command: to rid the world of immortals, and with them any evidence of the once-worshipped deity.

As Val slowly befriends an immortal named Kairo, who is desperate to return to his origins; and Rhys gathers a team of immortal killers, including a guilt-ridden Mage on a mission to heal his dying sister, a traitorous immortal who will do anything to stay alive, and a rebel who holds the secret to destroying the immortals; they all discover that maybe the immortals aren’t the only ones in the wrong—and maybe they themselves are even worse.

Table of Contents
Spoiler! :
Characters

Ebony - grumpy immortal sniper and traitor - NaNo '23: The Gift and the Ghostspeaker

Val - bipolar vengeful Mage and Ghost fanatic - NaNo '23: The Gift and the Ghostspeaker

Kai - stubborn immortal with a death wish

Nat - annoying anarchist who really doesn't care

Ellis - insecure Ghostborn boi with weird theology and angst

Sterling - traumatized Mage murderer we must defend with our lives

Rhys - adorably clueless Ghostspeaker and babysitter

Fallon - cool-as-heck rebel therapist extraordinaire

Lev - immortal rebel leader and the group’s mostly unofficial dad

Ori - eccentric uncle with wings and naivete

Brynn - two-year-old winged cinnamon roll

Niko - second worst dad in the book and cult leader

Evi - token skeptical bookworm with trust issues

Status Updates

Day Two - NaNo '23: The Gift and the Ghostspeaker

Day Three - NaNo '23: The Gift and the Ghostspeaker

Chapters

Prologue - The Gift and the Ghostspeaker (Prophecy Poem + Prologue)

Chapter One - The Gift and the Ghostspeaker (Chapter One)
Last edited by Voidsoul on Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:20 am, edited 15 times in total.

5 Reviews

Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:38 am
View Likes
Voidsoul says...

POV Character #1: Ebony

Spoiler! :
Name: Ebony Samuels
Height: 5'7"
Eye colour: Light blue
Physical appearance: Athletic build; pale, clear skin; long, straight, black hair
Strange or unique physical attributes: Her eyes are a very piercing shade of blue, and she's constantly glaring or smirking.
Favourite clothing style/outfit: A sweatshirt, green jacket, and cargo pants, with a sniper rifle and whatever decent working shoes she can get her hands on
Where do they live? What is it like there? -- Ebony lives in the Blanklands, a sort of ruined suburban area outside of the main part of the world, Zephan City. It's full of people who can't afford to live in Zephan City, and it's very dirty and dangerous. More specifically, she runs a supplies stand in the main hub of the Blanklands, and usually sleeps there or at the Shelter, a sort of inn for Blanklanders.
Defining gestures/movements: Well...I already said she glares a lot. XD She also stands with her hands on her hips and looks down at people (even if they're taller than her...somehow).
Things about their appearance they would most like to change: She would much rather be taller than she is.
Speaking style: She has a quick, sharp, somewhat monotone voice, which she can easily make very sweet in order to sarcasm people.
Pet peeves: Uh...is everything an option? Stupidity? Honestly she's just done with the world.
Fondest memory: She used to love people-watching with her mom when she was younger.
Hobbies/interests: Investigating things that interest her (or as she would say, because she's 'bored' and has 'nothing better to do'), practicing with her sniper rifle, scavenging, survival skills
Special skills/abilities: She's very flexible and agile, decently strong, street-smart, and immortal.
Insecurities: She's extremely insecure and feels the need to be strong all the time; she denies it, but she really needs a break and some love.
Quirks/eccentricities: She has a weird, almost dark sense of humor that's usually at other people's expense
Temperament: She's usually very grumpy, and most things that would cheer a normal person up only make her even grumpier, so...
Negative traits: She's very good at compartmentalizing, very cynical, and very distrustful.
Things that upset them: Getting attached to anything.
Things that embarrass them: Being incorrect, and other people's stupidity if it's attached to her in any way.
This character is highly opinionated about: Gossiping; if someone doesn't know something for a fact, they shouldn't say anything about it. Also what things should be common sense.
Any phobias? -- Death and loss
Things that make them happy: Alone time, peace and quiet, her hobbies
Family (describe): She doesn't have any family currently; her mom was killed by a group of immortal killers a long time ago, and she never knew any other family.
Deepest, darkest secret: She's very, very, very very very afraid of dying.
Reason they have kept this secret for so long: It makes her seem weak, which in turn makes her "an easy target".
Other people's opinions of this character: Most strangers she meets think she's odd and off-putting; once the other main characters get to know her she becomes more of a really grumpy mom friend.
Favourite bands/songs/types of music: She would like hard rock, definitely.
Favourite movies: She would probably love mindless action movies, or maybe really bad romances (just so she can make fun of the plot, of course).
Favourite TV shows: She might like a mystery series.
Favourite books: Also mysteries, and maybe cheesy romances
Favourite foods: Anything, she doesn't care. I don't think she has taste buds.
Favourite sports/sports teams: She would not care. At all.
Political views: She thinks politics are stupid and refuses to get involved
Religion/philosophy of life: She's definitely an atheist, and doesn't actually have any opinions on life in general because she's terrified of thinking about what would happen if she died.
Physical health: Excellent
Dream holiday: Living in a palace with servants for a week XD
Description of their house: It's basically a tiny booth with a bunch of junk in it; she sleeps in a sleeping bag on the ground.
Description of their room: See above
Any pets? -- No
Best thing that has ever happened to this character: Being able to start up her supplies stand probably...not many good things have happened in her life which I should probably change
Worst thing that has ever happened to this character: Her mom being killed
Superstitions: She doesn't believe in superstitions
Three words to describe this character: Grumpy immortal sniper.
If a song played every time this character walked into a room, what song would it be? Natural by Imagine Dragons
*dances randomly and hands you a cosmic brownie*

5 Reviews

Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:38 am
View Likes
Voidsoul says...

POV Character #2: Val

Spoiler! :
Name: Valentine Lucen
Height: 5'9"
Eye colour: Dark brown
Physical appearance: Average build; pale, freckled skin; short, curly, black hair
Strange or unique physical attributes: n/a
Favourite clothing style/outfit: She wears all-black, tight clothes usually; sleeveless shirts and leggings especially, and combat boots
Where do they live? What is it like there? -- She also lives in the Blanklands, usually camping in abandoned buildings or staying at the Shelter.
Defining gestures/movements: She talks with her hands a lot and is very expressive.
Things about their appearance they would most like to change: She doesn't really think about that a lot
Speaking style: Fast and semi-deep voice, laughs a lot
Pet peeves: Cruelty/unkindness, people being annoying on purpose (read: Rhys)
Fondest memory: Spending time with her adopted family
Hobbies/interests: She doesn't have many; she spends her time socializing when she's not...er, working.
Special skills/abilities: She's good with a knife, and also has the Ghosts' Gift of magick. She's also very, very good with people.
Insecurities: She's not a very insecure person; I actually can't think of any insecurities she has.
Quirks/eccentricities: She laughs a lot and smiles in inappropriate situations (such as at funerals) due to nerves.
Temperament: She's usually very cheerful, unless you do something she really doesn't approve of, in which case she rages.
Negative traits: She definitely has a temper, and is very passionate, which is a good thing until it blinds her from seeing that she's wrong (she never thinks she's wrong).
Things that upset them: Anything clearly bad/evil/unjust
Things that embarrass them: She's very hard to embarrass, but when she does something wrong (as in bad) she gets very very embarrassed and beats herself up.
This character is highly opinionated about: Most things XD she would get into a heated debate over pineapple on pizza
Any phobias? -- Being a bad person, hurting people who don't deserve it
Things that make them happy: People, and uh...food XD and justice XD
Family (describe): Her real family was killed by unruly immortals from the Blanklands, so she was adopted by Ghostspeaker Nikolai Lucen, who is the religious leader of the world. He's very cold and aloof, but pretends to love her. She has three adopted siblings, two of whom (Ellis and Brynn) she's never met. The third (Rhys) is also a POV character and will get his own entry.
Deepest, darkest secret: She knows her family was killed/she's adopted. Also the fact that she's in the Blanklands hunting immortals for revenge, or as she says, justice, because she's kind of very important and ran away.
Reason they have kept this secret for so long: It's actually only been about six months XD and it's so that no one will find her and stop her
Other people's opinions of this character: Random strangers who meet her think she's a very friendly and likable person. Random immortals...find her terrifying. Rhys says "She's awesome. A little scary, but awesome. When she's not yelling at me."
Favourite bands/songs/types of music: She probably likes more popular rock stuff?
Favourite movies: Anything. She would love movies
Favourite TV shows: Same with these
Favourite books: She's not a big reader, but anything really exciting?
Favourite foods: She's not picky either, mostly because I'm lazy XD but she likes basically everything
Favourite sports/sports teams: She would probably be a big sports person, but I don't know anything abou sports so XD
Political views: (I'm gonna stay within the world) She of course supports the reign of the Ghosts and the Ghostspeaker, she's his daughter XD
Religion/philosophy of life: She very much believes in the Ghosts, and draws her power from them; she's very religious
Physical health: Pretty good
Dream holiday: A big conference with lots of people
Description of their house: n/a
Description of their room: n/a
Any pets? -- Not yet >:D
Best thing that has ever happened to this character: Uh....not a lot of actually good things have happened, but she thinks it's being adopted (which is bad for spoilery reasons)
Worst thing that has ever happened to this character: Having her family killed
Superstitions: Uhhhhhh I don't remember right now and I'm too lazy
Three words to describe this character: Excitable bipolar fanatic
If a song played every time this character walked into a room, what song would it be? Uhhhhhhh I honestly have no clue?

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:09 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Hi! Welcome to YWS and happy NaNo!!
If you'd like feedback while you write, I'd recommend publishing each chapter or section in the publishing center. (It's best if you don't go much over 2000 words in the publishing center - you'll get read faster. if you have a chapter or something longer than that, just post it in two parts like Chapter 1.1 & Chapter 1.2). That will guarantee people see it and will guarantee feedback! :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

5 Reviews

Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:08 am
View Likes
Voidsoul says...

Carlito wrote:Hi! Welcome to YWS and happy NaNo!!
If you'd like feedback while you write, I'd recommend publishing each chapter or section in the publishing center. (It's best if you don't go much over 2000 words in the publishing center - you'll get read faster. if you have a chapter or something longer than that, just post it in two parts like Chapter 1.1 & Chapter 1.2). That will guarantee people see it and will guarantee feedback! :)

Thank you so much, this is really helpful!! <3

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:09 am
View Likes
luxeterna says...

This is a really cool concept! Can't wait to see it out and about on the site, wishing you luck for NaNo!
What's your goal for this month?
True love is the greatest thing in the world
except for a nice mlt
Wonderin' if your heart's still open
And if so I wanna know what time it shuts

Can't you tell that I'll write a song about nothing
To tell you that you're something else

.˳˳.⋅ઇ ଓ

5 Reviews

Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:13 am
View Likes
Voidsoul says...

luxeterna wrote:This is a really cool concept! Can't wait to see it out and about on the site, wishing you luck for NaNo!
What's your goal for this month?

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!!
I'm going for the full 50k :D this will be my second draft!!

5 Reviews

Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:20 am
View Likes
Voidsoul says...

Alrighty I missed a day welp

Day two did not go the best, but I wrote some, and I plan to write more tonight (I mean this morning).

On a thread-related note, I added a table of contents with a list of characters I'll be posting sheets for and a link to the first chapter I've posted :D

Last sentence of today’s writing:
Spoiler! :
The Order of Offering’s headquarters rose an impressive four stories into the sky—that is, impressive for the Blanklands—and was surrounded by my fellow rebels as we fought the immortals back, getting closer and closer to the entrance.

I hope everyone else’s NaNo is going better than mine XD

Also: would anyone like to be tagged for updates specifically? I'm not sure how this site works but I know it's similar in other places.

5 Reviews

Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:48 pm
View Likes
Voidsoul says...

so I have never had a character I hate as much as the POV character I'm writing now. This is a small struggle

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:19 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Voidsoul wrote:so I have never had a character I hate as much as the POV character I'm writing now. This is a small struggle

Have fun tormenting them, I suppose?? XD
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

5 Reviews

Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:30 pm
View Likes
Voidsoul says...

Snoink wrote:
Voidsoul wrote:so I have never had a character I hate as much as the POV character I'm writing now. This is a small struggle

Have fun tormenting them, I suppose?? XD

the problem is he's so smug and sure everything will work out for him I don't know if he's even possible to torment right now XD

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:20 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

As somebody who has written for narrators with smug personalities, I can assure you that not only is it possible, but it is delightful.

Pride hath come before the fall!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

5 Reviews

Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:25 pm
View Likes
Voidsoul says...

Snoink wrote:As somebody who has written for narrators with smug personalities, I can assure you that not only is it possible, but it is delightful.

Pride hath come before the fall!

oooohohoho I'm excited.

5 Reviews

Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:03 pm
View Likes
Voidsoul says...

so I finished that chapter and the character got knocked out by the end.
ahh revenge against unruly characters is sweet.

5 Reviews

Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:14 am
View Likes
Voidsoul says...

Another chapter done!! There's about a thousand words per chapter so far so I'm estimating about 50 chapters or a big increase in chapter-ly wc o.o

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon."
— Paul Brandt