z

Young Writers Society

Walls of White

Random avatar

Reviews: 52
Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:28 am
View Likes
Abcdefg1 says...

Soooo I know I'm posting this three days into NaNo and I already have a thread up but I just got a new writing kick for this idea and...well, I couldn't resist. I'll probably be working on both projects simultaneously and switching between the two periodically. This is REALLY showing just how terrible I am at finishing things T-T

Spoilered for some background context:

Spoiler! :
Students 1036 and 1077(Nix and Ivy)are trapped inside a school called the Institution. It is an extremely rigid school with many rules and harsh punishments. Ivy and Nix know nothing other than the Institution, but Nix wants to break out and see what's beyond the sterile white walls of his home. Ivy, on the other hand, is much more cautious about the whole thing.

Random avatar

Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:35 am
View Likes
Abcdefg1 says...

Today I wrote 3,604 words. My goal is 20,000 I think? Starting small for my first NaNo I suppose.

Here's an excerpt:

Spoiler! :
It took me a while after that to realize I’d never actually seen an ivy plant in person. At least, not that I could remember. The only place I’d ever been able to find one was on the big screen-windows they had in the Pre through Third-Year classrooms, which displayed various tranquil landscapes with lots of vibrant flowers and sunny skies. When I first arrived at the Institution I thought they were real–most four-year-olds do–and was obsessed with watching the slow, hypnotic waving of the savannah grasses ‘outside’. But once I finally got a good look at them–by sneaking under the teacher’s desk and standing right beneath them–I could see the individual pixels that built my fascination. And after that, they weren’t so interesting anymore.
We didn’t even get any screen-windows in Year 4. Apparently those were also too disruptive, just like Ivy and I’s hushed conversations.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:16 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

I always support Chaos NaNo and words are words!! Write what feels good :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

Random avatar

Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:44 pm
View Likes
Abcdefg1 says...

I've written 1,324 more words today! That's 4,928/20,000. We're making progress!

(Slight TW for this excerpt cuz it's a little gross)

Spoiler! :
Gritting my teeth against the inevitable pain, I pulled my arm back as hard as I could. The bracelet creaked slightly under the pressure, bending ever so slightly. The unbent edge of it cut into my skin, sending a sharp burst of fire up my arm. But I kept pulling.
After what felt like ages of nonstop tugging, I felt the bracelet give a little. Hope flared inside me and I yanked again, harder this time. The bracelet snapped in a firework of blood and silver, twisted edges springing away from my skin. Now I was able to peel it away, flinching a little as the tiny needles on the inside of it came, one by one, out of my flesh. When I was done I rolled over, staring at my accomplishment in amazement.
The bracelet was nothing more than a porcupine of bloody needles now; it could no longer send shocks of pain into my body. My wrist throbbed angrily, weeping red from the strip of pink where the bracelet had been.
One down, one to go, I thought, holding up my other arm.

Random avatar

Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:42 pm
View Likes
Abcdefg1 says...

Forgot to post yesterday, but I wrote 3,684 words! That makes a total of 8,612/20,000!

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one.
— Leo J. Burke