z

Young Writers Society

Could it be? Hehe, Hourglass!

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:37 pm
Firestarter says...

I have to say, Sam, I love your writing, but sometimes I have a problem with your descriptions.

Outside, it’s chilly and practically silent except for the soft calling of an owl and the far-off pounding of a lone horse’s hooves against dust.

I don't know how anybody would be able to know what "the far-off pounding of a lone horse's hooves against dust" actually sounds like. I think you should at least remove the last bit - "against dust" cos I don't think it makes sense. Also, I think "lone" should be removed as that is suggested by the lack of plural on the horse anyway. I think this sentence is an example of too many adjectives squashed on one line. Over-describing, so to say.

There's other examples of this - "crumbly sand" where I found the pre-modifier redundant. It's easy to read through and find them. I think it distracts from the overall feel of the plot and slows down the read.

Otherwise, this was good. Glad you picked it up again. Didn't want such a story discarded!
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:17 pm
Sam says...

Hey, thanks!

Have to admit...I haven't read it yet, so I'll go through and take out such.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

493 Reviews

Reviews: 493
Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:01 pm
Misty says...

liked it...interesting plot, ready for more. sorry that's not much crit

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:56 pm
Swires says...

I just dont get the whole present tense thing. I just dont know....
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

If you don't know it's impossible it's easier to do. And because nobody's done it before, they haven't made up rules to stop anyone doing that again, yet.
— Neil Gaiman