Raggedy Andy, Raggedy Anne: Ezra Aim

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:51 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

Raggedy Andy, Raggedy Anne

1. The Beginning/Millie Might

Ezra Aim

I. The Joys of Fashion (or, How to Get In and Out of a Hoop Skirt)

Ezra frowned. He still wasn’t convinced that he had to show his face. It was perfectly feasible for him to just hide out on the farm; he didn’t have to show his face nowhere.

And, then, this whole charade would just be a singular nightmare and not reality.

He though it was bad enough having to wear that stuffy dress and bonnet that he stole from some lady’s wash line to escape notice on his way home. But, he didn’t expect to have to dress up after he returned. Although, truth be told, Ezra hadn’t really thought that far in advance when he was planning his own desertion, in the first place. All he had really worried about was the escape. It was the first time he had wished for his sister’s foresight.

Mille had left a corset on the bed for him, next to dress, though Ezra had no clue as to where she had pulled it out from—he couldn’t remember in all their life together her ever wearing such a thing.

It was another mark of how their distance from each other had changed them.

He glared at the offending garments, hoping, maybe, the heat from his star would make them burst into flame.

No such luck. Not even a spark.

Ezra sat there, trying not to focus on the fact that somehow he was supposed to get himself dressed.

Millie said she would be back sometime after lunch to help, and he hoped that somehow between then and now, Millie, himself, or even Pa, would come up with a better plan.

As much as Ezra hated the idea of playing a girl, he was terrified at what would happen to him if the Home Guard found him out.

The booming explosions of artillery and the shrieking whistle of shells pierced the din, and the ground shook under Ezra’s feet. He could just make out the sharper, deadlier roll of musket fire. He carried on pale faced and hands trembling, rifle cradled in his arms. Human voices were imperceptible from the roar of the battle around him, screams and shrieks melded into such suffering, like an animal caught in a hunter’s trap; Ezra couldn’t even hear his own heart beat.

He pushed forward, his legs straining to get through the mud. He shook his head, and tried to separate the noise and confusion around him into something other than the crest of a rumbling storm. Men and horses slipped and swerved around him, blood and muck smeared across faces and limbs.

Still, Ezra’s hands shook. He took in a breath in attempt to calm himself, and acrid blood and bile assaulted his senses.

Suddenly, something seized Ezra’s shoulder and he jerked away, only to slip and fall; the impact with the earth forcing breath from his lungs.

A hand reached out to him, and Ezra looked up, and forced his lips to smile.

“Ezra?”

Millie’s voice shocked him back to reality, and for a moment Ezra had placed her on the battlefield peering down at him.

Ezra felt the tension in his body ease. “Yeah.”

Millie reached for the corset. “Think of it as one of your stories. Instead of armor, it’s a dress.”

Ezra frowned. Why did Millie have to make so much sense?

ii. Whalebone and String

“Picked a name, yet?”

Ezra sucked in his breath sharply when Millie tugged on the bindings. She had her left knee pressing hand into his lower back, and both hands curled around the laces of the corset—like holding bridle reins.

Ezra grunted; it hurt. The corset pushed on every part of his chest, making it almost impossible to breathe normally. It cut into his chest, a dull pain, that was now more than a irritation.

“No.” When he spoke, he voice came out more like a straggled hiss.

“Well, we can’t go around calling you Ezra, when you are all dressed up.”

Ezra grimaced. A small part of him hoped that if he didn’t choose a name, the whole affair would just end.

Ezra gasped as he was squeezed again. His whole torso smarted from the pressured pain of the corset being tightened around him. No wonder Millie never wore these things, they were torture devices.

“How ‘bout Elizabeth? That’s close enough.”

Ezra was confused; he was trying to ignore how uncomfortable it was, his mind focused on that rather that what his sister was saying.

“Close enough to what?”

Mille smirked. “For your name, silly.”

Ezra winced as he drew too large a breath.

“Oh.”

Elizabeth, Ezra recited it silently. It was better than some.

“One last time, Ez, you ready.”

Ezra didn’t trust his voice, and nodded. He braced himself for more pain, just before Millie’s knee dug into his back and the laces finally synched him up.

Millie didn’t say anything; Ezra took the silence as that she was silently concentrating on tying the laces up right.

When she was finished, Ezra felt her hands on his bare shoulders. Only then, did he twist around to face her. He groaned as the whalebone fought against the movement.

Millie was grinning at him.

"You find this humorous, don't you?” Ezra now eyed the dress that was still on the bed.

He crossed his arms indignantly when Millie didn’t answer.

“You do, don’t you?” He whinged.

Millie went to pick up the dress. “I could lie and say, I didn’t.”

Ezra hung his head and whimpered.

He sat silently in the chair as Millie first pulled a slip on over his head, and then secured him into the blue and white dress. They did not talk, and Ezra found comfort in that. He closed his eyes and listened to the small sounds—the whisper of a tie being girded or the click of a button being fastened. He felt her fingers in his hair—longer than it had ever been, pinning this and that.

“I’m finished, now.”

Ezra opened his eyes at Millie’s remark, and he looked into the mirror.

Instead of a skinny, underfed boy looking back at him, was this stranger in a blue dress. The eyes were the same—bluish gray—now opened wide, and his hair, still brown, was pinned up. Ezra stared at the reflection for a long time, a sliver of though insinuating that this was all just a figure of his imagination; he couldn’t be the same as this girl in the mirror.

Finally, he did try to speak: “It… I…”

Millie took pity on him. “See, now you look like a girl.”

Ezra ignored the fact that pressured into a corset, forced into the dress he had more curves than Millie did.

*More to come.*
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:21 am
Perra says...

Aw, poor Ezra!

I love this story. As my proof, I was overly excited when Millie mentioned that Ezra needed a girl's name and, with gobs of enthusiasm and gushing, went from Ezra to Ezrabella to Isabella before Millie arrived at Elizabeth. Poor guy. XD

You use more commas than I would, but I'm not sure how much of that is style or incorrect usage. I did find some misspellings and other things, though (as well as random things to make not-so-constructive comments on).

Caligula's Launderette wrote:He glared at the offending garments, hoping, maybe, the heat from his star would make them burst into flame.

*stare

Caligula's Launderette wrote:Millie said she would be back sometime after lunch to help, and he hoped that somehow between then and now, Millie, himself, or even Pa, would come up with a better plan.

I don't think this last comma should exist unless you replace the comma between "Millie" and "himself" with "or".

Caligula's Launderette wrote:“Think of it as one of your stories. Instead of armor, it’s a dress.”

Ezra frowned. Why did Millie have to make so much sense?

Poor guy. XD

Caligula's Launderette wrote:Ezra sucked in his breath sharply when Millie tugged on the bindings. She had her left knee pressing hand into his lower back, and both hands curled around the laces of the corset—like holding bridle reins.

Bold: *hard
Underlined: This comma shouldn't exist because the rest of the sentence isn't a sentence in its own right: it's a fragment completed by the "She had" at the beginning of the sentence.

Caligula's Launderette wrote:It cut into his chest, a dull pain, that was now more than a irritation.

This comma creates an unnecessary pause that interrupts the flow of the sentence.

Caligula's Launderette wrote:Ezra was confused; he was trying to ignore how uncomfortable it was, his mind focused on that rather that what his sister was saying.

*than
This sentence seems awkward to me. I think it needs rewording: "Ezra was confused: his mind was focused on ignoring how uncomfortable it was rather than what his sister was saying." Maybe?

Caligula's Launderette wrote:He braced himself for more pain, just before Millie’s knee dug into his back and the laces finally synched him up.

Gosh that sounds painful.

Caligula's Launderette wrote:He sat silently in the chair as Millie first pulled a slip on over his head, and then secured him into the blue and white dress.

Again, I don't think this comma should exist, because these aren't two separate thoughts.

Caligula's Launderette wrote:He felt her fingers in his hair—longer than it had ever been, pinning this and that.

Either the hyphen should be a comma, or the comma should be a hyphen.

Caligula's Launderette wrote:Instead of a skinny, underfed boy looking back at him, was this stranger in a blue dress.

I think you need "there" in front of "was". I'm not quite sure and could be completely wrong.

Caligula's Launderette wrote:Ezra stared at the reflection for a long time, a sliver of though insinuating that this was all just a figure of his imagination; he couldn’t be the same as this girl in the mirror.

*thought

Caligula's Launderette wrote:Ezra ignored the fact that pressured into a corset, forced into the dress he had more curves than Millie did.

I think this should be "...the fact that, pressured into a corset and forced into a dress, he had..." It seems to flow better.

In conclusion: poor Ezra and yay awesomeness! :D (Sorry, sleep deprivation just now kicked in. Otherwise my conclusion wouldn't be so simplistic) Oh, and points for the Ezra battle flashback! I also plan on critiquing the part(s) before this as soon as I can.
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

531 Reviews

Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:31 pm

Oh, thank you so much, dear.

Perra wrote:I love this story. As my proof, I was overly excited when Millie mentioned that Ezra needed a girl's name and, with gobs of enthusiasm and gushing, went from Ezra to Ezrabella to Isabella before Millie arrived at Elizabeth.

Pfft. I am changing the name now to Isabelle. Millie is so gonna call him Ezrabella. It's perfect.

Thanks again, I will endeavor to post more soon.

Ta,
Cal.
[Diefenbaker whines]
(Due South)

Got YWS?

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:08 pm
Sam says...

Oh, my goodness gracious. I'm so sorry it took me this long to get to reading, Cal--I do love Ezra and Millie. They're totally foil characters. They can't be together without shutting up. XD

The only thing that I was concerned about in this segment was the flashback sequence. Up to this point, Ezra doesn't seem particularly destitute, and then...woah, post-traumatic flashback? If you still want the effect of a flashback, try writing it so that there aren't any italics--comparing things to events in his everyday life, and so on. It'll be a lot smoother transitioning if you don't simply block off text as hallucination territory.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

531 Reviews

Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:50 am

Sam,

Hahaha! Millie and Ezra so don't shut up, ever.

I totally agree with you on the flashback thingie. Really, what happened was that I realized I had gotten fairly far into the story without any flashbacks, and rush to add one in. I am trying to put them in, now, when something triggers a memory for Ezra.

;)

Ta,
Cal.
[Diefenbaker whines]
(Due South)

Got YWS?

531 Reviews

Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:52 am

Postage! Whoohoo. I know it's not much, but I am rather proud that I've written what with how hectic my life is this past week or so.

_____

iii. Bed Linens

Ezra was curled up in the corner where the bed met the wall, his entire body, including his head buried under the quilt.

“Come on, Ezrabella. Git up!” Millie’s voice was muffled by the interference of fabric.

Ezra pointedly ignored her, and buried his face farther into the fabric. Maybe if he kept quiet her, she would go away.

Suddenly the bed shuddered with the force of being shook, and Ezra was being challenged for the right of the blankets.

As he tried to secure his hands purchase in the quilt, it was whipped out from around him, and Ezra was left sprawled out on the bed; his face buried in the mattress. His nose ached like it had been smushed under too much pressure.

There was dirt under his hands and in his mouth. It tasted like the burnt toast and hardtack, bitter too. Ezra’s groan was muffled by the groaned and he tried to lift himself.

It felt as if he was underwater, what he could hear was distorted and deep, and he strained to decipher what they were. Canon, they had to be, the abstract booming that seemed so dissociated from his own senses. Ezra twitched and tried to lift himself again.

Then, this rushing of sound crested and broke upon his ears like the rushing of water.

“Ezra!”

He blinked; he was on his back, the ceiling of his own home above his head and not some abstract battlefield. Someone was shaking his shoulder.

“Ezra!”

Finally, he focused in on the face above him. He twisted to look at the seemingly disembodied hand resting, now still, on his shoulder. After a moment or so, he finally connected it to the face: his sister.

Millie looked concerned, her brow furrowed and the ends of her mouth cast downward. He tried to smile back at her, but the muscles in his face protested and he knew looking into Millie’s eyes she was not convinced that everything was fine.

iv. Wagon Wheels

Ezra was vacillating between half mortified and half scared sitting there all dressed up in the blue and white dress. It was doing nothing for his nerves. At one point, he drew in a sharp breath and though he was going to make a total fool of himself by passing out. Though, he supposed, fainting was a girlish thing to do.

Millie raised an eyebrow when she looked at him, and he shrugged his shoulders in response, which was an odd and restrictive movement. Muscles shifted and were contorted in different ways than before.

In their silence, with Pa on one side and Millie on the other, he felt oddly comforted though part of him wanted to scream.

Ezra gritted his teeth, and tried to breath normally through his nose.

If I can survive the charge of Antietam, I can survive this.
[Diefenbaker whines]
(Due South)

Got YWS?

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:44 pm
Sam says...

Cal! You're amazing. ^_^ I really loved this new part, especially the second--"Wagon Wheels". Wagon Wheels was hilarious and, at the same, time, beautiful. I adored the way you gradually got shorter with your sentences--that sounds like a totally, lame compliment, I know, but it was kind of like his thoughts were narrowing and then you got this visual effect with it as well.

However, I'm going to pick on your flashbacks again, simply because I love Ezra(bella): the transition into this new one could be a lot smoother.

There was dirt under his hands and in his mouth. It tasted like the burnt toast and hardtack, bitter too. Ezra’s groan was muffled by the groaned and he tried to lift himself.

At the moment, it looks like this. Unfortunately, you move from being on a bed to being underwater, and neither of these places I associate with dirt and hardtack. It could just be me being weird, but. In order to make his craziness truly come alive, your references/metaphors need to hook up across transitions, or you take something strange and exciting remove the "exciting".

But, seriously. It's Ezra. I love him. XD
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:48 pm
Perra says...

Yay, moreness! :D

While I like these and have an ever-present desire to hug Ezrabella (*squee*), I must agree with Sam on the flashback. I think you were going for the sound of underwater, not the feeling. Adjust for that, and I think it'll be better.

Caligula's Launderette wrote:Ezra pointedly ignored her[s],[/s][no comma] and buried his face farther into the fabric. Maybe if he kept quiet [s]her[/s], she would go away.

You probably mean "here", but I think the sentence is best without it.

Caligula's Launderette wrote:Suddenly the bed shuddered with the force of being shook, and Ezra was being challenged for the right of the blankets.

This seems a bit repetitive to me because 'shuddered' and 'shook' are similar in meaning. Or maybe it should be 'shaken' instead of 'shook'. I can't put my finger on it, unfortunately, and don't have any advice on changing it. :/

Caligula's Launderette wrote:As he tried to secure his [s]hands[/s][Unless you mean for the 's' in 'hands' to be possessive...Then you just need the apostrophe] purchase in the quilt, it was whipped out from around him, and Ezra was left sprawled out on the bed; his face buried in the mattress.

Caligula's Launderette wrote:Ezra’s groan was muffled by the groaned [comma] and he tried to lift himself.

Do you mean "ground"?

Caligula's Launderette wrote:It felt as if he was underwater, what he could hear was distorted and deep, and he strained to decipher what they were. Canon, they had to be, the abstract booming that seemed so dissociated from his own senses. Ezra twitched and tried to lift himself again.

When I first read the first sentence, I was a little confused. I think it would be a little less confusing if you change the first "they" to something like "that sound was" and the second "they" to "it".

Caligula's Launderette wrote: At one point, he drew in a sharp breath and [s]though[/s] thought he was going to make a total fool of himself by passing out.

I can't wait for more [s]Ezra[/s] Raggedy Andy, Raggedy Anne!
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

Monster is a relative term. To a canary, a cat is a monster. We're just used to being the cat.
— Henry Wu, "Jurassic World"