z

Young Writers Society

The Siren Sounds: Based on a true story.

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:18 pm
BeckFletch. says...

I really need some help with this piece. I tried hard to get everything in while still keeping the word count down. In doing this I feel I have jeopardized the story in some way. I would REALLY appreciate some good replies.

Thanks Guys!!

BeckFletch. xx

I was eleven when World War II changed my life. My father had already gone to fight and my aunt and two cousins had moved in with us so we could help each other as the war began to threaten our livelihood. My grandparents had moved in with us before the war began due to there age, and because of this every free space in our house was occupied. Luckily I kept my room and my bed. It was here that the war destroyed what my family and I used to have as well as almost destroying me.

The siren sounded deep in the night. I lifted my head from my pillow to listen for the planes but only silence reached my ears. I had lost count of how many times the siren had woken half of England without there being need for it, so I lowered myself back down onto my bed and tried to sleep. The siren continued to roar as I smothered myself with my pillow to block it out. Little good it did, for I was unable to smother the sound and gave up. I laid there for a few more moments wishing, praying, for it to stop.

I did not hear the rapid footsteps as my mother approached my room. I only noticed her when she shook me from my dreary state.

“Jane, get out of bed! Can you not hear the siren?” my mother shouted to me over the monotonous shrill.

“Mama, I can not hear the planes. There is no danger. Now let me sleep, please!” I said in reply, knowing that an eleven year old should not speak in such a manor to her mother.

“Get up and go down stairs now Jane! If those Germans decide to drop bombs it’ll be the end of you! Now go!” she said as she went to fetch my cousins from the various different rooms they occupied.

I laid there in bed, waiting for the siren to stop and for everything to be ok. Only seconds later my mother returned with blankets in her hands and my grandfather by her side. He walked over to my bed and dragged me down to the cellar by the ear. I did not dare protest for my grandfather, a very loving man most of the time, would scold me if I ever dared to do so.

As my grandfather, mother and I crawled into the safe spot in our basement underneath the stairs, I caught sight of my petrified younger cousin. Most of her life she had been surrounded by war and this had lead to her being constantly fearful of most things. Every time the siren sounded she would let out a scream before running for the stairs to hide.

My family and I huddled together, cramped into the tiny space, and waited for the siren to stop. Soon after, it did. The silence was deafening, but with the silence came a new sound. The sound of thousands of tinny flies buzzing past my ears, but, I remember thinking to myself, flies rarely swarm in the cold depths of night. It was then I broke out of my delusional sleep state and realised what the sound really was. They had come for us.

“Mama, they have never come in such a number before. Why do they come now?” my eldest cousins asked my aunt. She did not reply, simply hushed the child of nine and returned her attention to the sounds protruding from above.

Moments later the first bomb dropped. I let out a little scream along with my cousins before collapsing forward over my knees with my hands covering my ears. Two, three, four more bombs were dropped in the distance. Five, six, they were getting closer with each explosion. Seven, eight, nine, the houses next to ours must have been flattened by now. My cousins were screaming at the top of their lungs. They wanted to leave but my aunt and grandfather held them close.

The small space under the stairs was just big enough to fit all seven of us; my two cousins, my aunt, my grandparents, my mother and I. We all waited for the next bomb to drop. Those few moments seem to last forever. I had started to think that maybe it was over and then it hit. The bomb must have been dropped right on top of us because even our safe spot seemed to collapse. I know this because as I was huddled over my knees, seeking protection for myself, a large wooden block fell on my back. From then on my recollection of any further events is somewhat hazy.

I woke up a week and a half later in an overrun hospital. The wood had broken my back but not severed the spinal cord. I was to stay in a brace for three months with as little movement as possible. If everything went as planed, I was going to be able to walk perfectly fine.

I never went back to the house. There was nothing to go back to. Everything was destroyed in the attack, well, almost everything. The only thing that stayed intact was a crystal bowl that my grandparents had given my mother and father on there wedding day. The only thing that was wrong with it was the two chips that were missing from around its rim. My steal frame bed did not even survive the barrage. My mother told me a large wooden block had fallen in the middle of it and split it in two. Thank goodness my grandfather had dragged me out of bed that night. I find it funny; the most delicate thing we owned survived a bombing. The steal frame of a bed didn’t. Ironic, is it not?

That night will stay with me forever. The fear it raised within me, the sheer torment it caused, will never escape from my dreams. In one way I am glad I never had to go back to the place I once called home. At least this way I can remember it the way it was. England did not stay my home for much longer. About a year later I was shifted to Australia and put into foster care. I never looked back. My family joined me when the war finished. We were happy in our new home, away from the memories.

I was eleven when World War II changed my life forever, but my story is happy one. My family survived. Many others did not. I will forever owe a debt to my grandfather and the nurses at the hospital and the people that gave me a new life in Australia. Without them, the war would not have changed my life. It would have finished it.
'The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, The more I will respect myself' - Jane Eyre, Charlotte Brontë.

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:17 pm
Winter's Twelfth Night says...

Hello BeckFletch! I am Winter's Twelfth Night (or just Winter) and I shall review your story today! First of all, excellent job! There were very few mistakes in grammar and punctuation and for the most part it was very well written. I loved how you wrote this from you grandmother's point of view (it was your grandmother, right?) I thought you did a good job of covering the important events in the story, unless you cut some really important parts that I don't know about.

Anyway, here are my critiques:
My grandparents had moved in with us before the war began due to there age, and because of this every free space in our house was occupied.

You did a great job beginning your story. Change "there" to "their."

I laid there for a few more moments wishing, praying, for it to stop.

Change "laid" to "lay" and take out the comma after "praying".

“Jane, get out of bed! Can you not hear the siren?” my mother shouted to me over the monotonous shrill.

This is one of my favorite parts. Great word choice!

Mama, I can not hear the planes.

Cannot should be one word.

she said as she went to fetch my cousins from the various different rooms they occupied.

Take out different. It is redundant to have different and various next to each other because they are so similar.

I laid there in bed, waiting for the siren to stop and for everything to be ok.

"Laid" should be "lay"

Most of her life she had been surrounded by war and this had lead to her being constantly fearful of most things.

Lead should be led. You could also take out "...of most things." It would shorten the sentence and help the flow of the story.

The sound of thousands of tinny flies buzzing past my ears, but, I remember thinking to myself, flies rarely swarm in the cold depths of night.

"Tinny" should be "tiny". This should be two sentences. Try "The sound of thousands of tiny flies buzzing past my ears. I remember thinking to myself, Flies rarely swarm in the cold depths of night."

It was then I broke out of my delusional sleep state and realised what the sound really was. They had come for us.

You should add "that" after "then" in the first sentence. So it should be "It was then that I broke out..." Also, "sleep" should be "sleepy". In the second sentence I got a bit lost. Who had come for them? The Germans? Were they in planes? Trucks? On foot? Planes and trucks? You need to be more specific here.

Those few moments seem to last forever.

"Seem" should be "seemed"

I had started to think that maybe it was over and then it hit.

Take out "had". It gets redundant. Also, you could make this two sentences for a more dramatic effect. So "I started to think that maybe it was over. And then it hit."

If everything went as planed, I was going to be able to walk perfectly fine.

"Planed" should be "planned". Also, "perfectly fine" should either be "perfectly well", "Perfectly", or "fine".

Everything was destroyed in the attack, well, almost everything.

The story would flow better if this was two sentences. Replace the comma after "attack" with a period.

The only thing that stayed intact was a crystal bowl that my grandparents had given my mother and father on there wedding day.

"There" should be "their".

About a year later I was shifted to Australia and put into foster care.

I don't think "shifted" is the right word here. Maybe "shipped" or "sent"

My family joined me when the war finished.

Just a suggestion, but I think "ended" would be a better word than "finished".

Without them, the war would not have changed my life. It would have finished it.

This is an outstanding ending!

Again, well done! I really enjoyed reading this. *Gives gold star* If you have any questions about my review or anything else, please feel free to PM me. I hope this was helpful!

-Winter
Mamillius: Merry or sad shall’t be?
Hermione: As merry as you will.
Mamillius: A sad tale’s best for winter. I have one
Of sprites and goblins.

The Winter's Tale

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:21 pm
StellaThomas says...

Hey Beck, haven't seen you around (I don't think)! If you don't know already, I'm Stella, the amazing, intelligent, pretty one :). Joking (kind of). Welcome to YWS!

I. NITPICKS

I was eleven when World War II changed my life.

That's quite blunt. Perhaps don't mention WWII right there. Say "when the bomb hit" or something like that. Remember that the war lasted more than one year, and it was bound to change everybody's lives.

due to there age,

their, not there

“Mama, I can not hear the planes.

cannot is one word.

such a manor to her mother.

manner.

My steal frame bed did not even survive the barrage.

steel. Also, try putting even at the beginning of the sentence.

Okay.

II. CLIMAX

The climax is really what the entire story is about, and stories that don't have one annoy me. Yours is one of continuous cause and event, a bit and then and then and then. It's interesting certainly, and true, but from a literary persepective:

-build up. Start off small. In fact, start off normal. Is the bed warm? Is she dreaming?
-each event should be greater than the next. For instance, first disaster, she's woken up from a nice sleep by sirens? What overshadows that? Being taken out of bed. What overshadows that? A bomb? But there's got to be things in between.
-drag out your main disaster or event, make it more important than the rest. In short stories this is even more important.
-and slowly wind down afterwards, don't jump straight to the ending. Has her spine been broken? Is she going to be able to walk again? No, no, it's okay... but now what? Their house has been destroyed except for the bowl... what will they do? She's going to be sent to Australia... do you see what I mean? Deal with each issue in order of its importance. Obviously the fact that she could have been paralysed is huge, followed by their house falling down.

III. EMOTION

One of the advantages of first person is that you can draw your reader into your character's mind. So tell us throughout, how is she feeling? Is she frightened? Annoyed? Why is she scared (or not)? What does it feel like? Put yourself in her shoes and then show us that.

IV. OVERALL

Very interesting, and I love that you've taken the time to record a story from your family.

Hope I helped, and PM me if you have any questions!

-Stella.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:52 pm
ballerina13 says...

Hello! I thought that you did a great job on getting the details of what was happening, aslo describing the fear and what the bombing did to houses. There was not to many mistakes, just while you are editing just re-read it and make sure you did not forget any words. Excellent story.

216 Reviews

Reviews: 216
Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:57 am
asxz says...

hi, I found no nit-picks after what has already been said. The climax of the story was great, and I don't think at all that you ruined it by making it shorter. I found that you left me with no questions and your story mad me sad :cry: but, that's just what you intended, the whole thing was heart wrenching to read, knowing that it happened to your gran like that!
Anyways, Five stars from me, okay, only one!
::XoX::KeepWriting::XoX::

GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Writing is 3% talent and 97% not being distracted by the internet

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:58 pm
Evi says...

I was eleven when World War II changed my life. Blunt much? Try not to start off with something so solid. My father had already gone to fight and my aunt and two cousins had moved in with us so we could help each other as the war began to threaten our livelihood. My grandparents had moved in with us before the war began due to there age, and because of this comma every free not free anymore-take this word out space in our house was occupied. Luckily comma I kept my room and my bed. It was here that the war destroyed what my family and I used to have as well as almost destroying me.

The siren sounded deep in the night. I like this sentence. I lifted my head from my pillow to listen for the planes but only silence reached my ears. I had lost count of how many times the siren had woken half of England without there being need for it, so I lowered myself back down onto my bed and tried to sleep. The siren continued to roar as I smothered myself with my pillow to block it out. Little good it did, for I was unable to smother the sound and gave up. I laid there for a few more moments wishing, praying, for it to stop. You start a lot of these sentences with 'I'. Try rephrasing them so that doesn't happen as often.

I did not hear the rapid footsteps as my mother approached my room. I only noticed her when she shook me from my dreary state.

“Mama, I can not (cannot) hear the planes. There is no danger. Now let me sleep, please!” I said in reply, knowing that an eleven year old should not speak in such a manor to her mother. This sounds formal for a groggy eleven year old's morning conversation. Very, very formal.

“Get up and go down stairs now Jane! If those Germans decide to drop bombs it’ll be the end of you! Now go!” she said as she went to fetch my cousins from the various different rooms they occupied. second time to use occupied in a couple of paragraphs. Synonym here, maybe?

I laid there in bed, waiting for the siren to stop and for everything to be okay. Only seconds later my mother returned with blankets in her hands and my grandfather by her side. He walked over to my bed and dragged me down to the cellar by the ear. I did not dare protest comma for my grandfather, a very loving man most of the time, would scold me if I ever dared to do so.

As my grandfather, mother and I crawled into the safe spot in our basement underneath the stairs, I caught sight of my petrified younger cousin. Most of her life she had been surrounded by war and this had lead to her being constantly fearful of most things. Every time the siren sounded she would let out a scream before running for the stairs to hide.

My family and I huddled together, cramped into the tiny space, and waited for the siren to stop. Soon after, it did. The silence was deafening cliched line; be more creative in your abstract phrases, but with the silence came a new sound. The sound of thousands of tinny flies buzzing past my ears, but, I remember thinking to myself, flies rarely swarm in the cold depths of night. It was then I broke out of my delusional sleep state and realised what the sound really was. They had come for us.

“Mama, they have never come in such a number before. Why do they come now?” my eldest cousins asked my aunt. She did not reply, simply hushed the child of nine no need to give us the age. This sounds forced anyway and returned her attention to the sounds protruding do sounds protrude? from above.

Moments later the first bomb dropped. I let out a little scream along with my cousins before collapsing forward over my knees with my hands covering my ears. Two, three, four more bombs were dropped in the distance. Five, six, they were getting closer with each explosion. Seven, eight, nine, the houses next to ours must have been flattened by now. My cousins were screaming at the top of their lungs. They wanted to leave but my aunt and grandfather held them close.

The small space under the stairs was just big enough to fit all seven of us; my two cousins, my aunt, my grandparents, my mother and I. We all waited for the next bomb to drop. Those few moments seem to last forever. I had started to think that maybe it was over comma and then it hit. The bomb must have been dropped right on top of us because even our safe spot seemed to collapse. I know this because as I was huddled over my knees, seeking protection for myself, a large wooden block fell on my back. From then on my recollection of any further events is somewhat hazy.

They'd be dead if the bomb dropped right on top of them. Near them, maybe. not right on top.

I woke up a week and a half later in an overrun hospital. The wood had broken my back but not severed the spinal cord. I was to stay in a brace for three months with as little movement as possible. If everything went as planed, I was going to be able to walk perfectly fine.

I never went back to the house. There was nothing to go back to. I like this line. Everything was destroyed in the attack[s], well, almost everything[/s]. Actually, no;The only thing that stayed intact was a crystal bowl that my grandparents had given my mother and father on there wedding day. The only thing that was wrong with it was the two chips that were missing from around its rim. My steal frame bed did not even survive the barrage. My mother told me a large wooden block had fallen in the middle of it and split it in two. Thank goodness my grandfather had dragged me out of bed that night. I find it funny; the most delicate thing we owned survived a bombing. The steal frame of a bed didn’t. Ironic, is it not? Very, very ironic. On the brink of impossible, in fact.

That night will stay with me forever. The fear it raised within me, the sheer torment it caused, will never escape from my dreams. In one way I am glad I never had to go back to the place I once called home. At least this way I can remember it the way it was. England did not stay my home for much longer. About a year later I was shifted to Australia and put into foster care. I never looked back. My family joined me when the war finished. We were happy in our new home, away from the memories.

I was eleven when World War II changed my life forever, but my story is happy one. My family survived. Many others did not. I will forever owe a debt to my grandfather and the nurses at the hospital and the people that gave me a new life in Australia. Without them, the war would not have changed my life. It would have finished it.

I like this last paragraph, but you kind of go into info dump mode in the second to last. Do we really need to know what happened after?

Anyway, after some editing, this should be very good. Add more lines that play on the imagination or imagery; make us feel that bomb, make us feel the pain and hear the screams and see what we should be seeing. And try to make the dialogue a little less formal. It's very forced as of now.

Good job! PM if you need anything!

~Evi
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:42 am
tori1234 says...

That was wonderful!!! It is probably the best short story I have read in a long time. You captured the emotions just right. The way you wrote it took me back to the old times, it was like you even used old style writing techniques.

So you got this from you're Grandmother? If I were you, I would write a life story about her (otherwise known as a biography) her life sounds VERY interesting. Add some old letters and pictures, and BANG! you got yourself a good quality novel! Now THAT is a book I would buy!

(P.S. I like the formal writing, I think more people should write like that. Now that's my type of writing!)
Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba
Sithi uhm ingonyama
Nants ingonyama bagithi baba
Sithi uhhmm ingonyama
Ingonyama
Siyo Nqoba
Ingonyama
Ingonyama nengw' enamabala

If you know what this is from, become my best friend. =)

Reviews: 2
Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:03 pm
Israeli_Camel says...

That was really good! I like how you got the words of your grandmother into text (or should I say, story)! A few questions though (about the story itself, I'm just curious):
What city in England? I like how you set the scene of the Germans bombing the town. When I read it, I could just see being in a basement while planes drop bombs above.
Also, did your grandmother ever recover from the injury? I mean, after she healed she was able to walk?

Good job ;) that's an awesome story to hear first hand from your grandmother!
Asher E
adventurelandbook.blogspot.com

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:58 pm
piczofriends says...

don't have much to say but i say it anyway.

I thought this story was brilliant. The opening line gripped me. It was not' to blunt'. iT WAS PERFECT. After reading on, i soon began to love how you so accurately told a true tale. you obviously listened to your grand mother for a long time.

I do not see why you tried to keep it short, I like this story, and i wish there was more of it.

I like how you come back to your opening line at the end. It feel like after reading a great story, a rue story, we have come to the end, but also the beginning
Enie minie minah MOOOOOOOOOOO

attempting foot extraction
— Mea