z

Young Writers Society

Fireworks for the War (Edited)

582 Reviews

Reviews: 582
Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:05 pm
KJ says...

I’ve grown used to the sound of the bombs. Each one echoes in my mind with a constant thrumming.

I scratch my chest, and the mud caked on my skin gets under my short nails. The lice are quickly growing in numbers; the itches are becoming more unrelenting and an even greater cause for misery.

Jimmy moans next to me. I turn to him. His eyes, normally so bright and merry, are dull and almost completely shut.

“What is it?” I ask. A bomb goes off quite close to us.

My friend looks at me. His gaze is so dead I have to resist flinching. “We’re never going to see home again, are we?” His voice is alarmingly flat, and despair makes the skin of his face sag. I pray he doesn’t have shell shock.

I shift my gun to my other side. “I don’t know, Jim,” I answer softly, scratching some more. I wonder how Jimmy isn’t scratching—he has lice just the same as all the rest of us. But his arms lay limply at his sides.

Night is falling fast, and neither of us says anymore. Men around us murmur quietly to each other, but we take no part in the whispered conversations. I study Jimmy worriedly in the fading light. He’s begun to drift off in a troubled sleep. I know it is troubled by his furrowed brow and restless shifting.

The sky is now dark, lit up once and a while with the orange glow of exploding bombs. If I tilt my head back and forget enough, I can pretend I’m back home just watching fireworks with Anna.

Jimmy cries out in his sleep, and my attention turns back to him. I can barely make out the features of his face. But I do note a pair of glowing red eyes next to his closed ones. A rat is perched on his shoulder. I sit up tiredly and flip my hand at it to scare it off. The creature scampers away, and I sink back against the trench wall again wearily. I do not allow myself to drift off as Jimmy has. Someone needs to watch for the rats—there's no doubt in my mind that they will return.

“Tom?” Jimmy’s voice comes out of the obscuring shadows.

“What?”

“Did you ever think it would be like this?”

At first I don’t reply. I see myself—was it really only six months ago? —grinning as I hugged my young wife and boarded the train that would take me here. I’d been filled with excitement. I’d wanted to go… I’d wanted to serve my country.

“It’s war, Jimmy,” I finally say as an answer. Wishful thinking or dwelling on regrets will not help us here. Jimmy is silent. He hangs his head until his chin is touching his chest.

Thunder rumbles above us. I swallow a sigh. “Better switch socks, Jim,” I say. “Looks like it’s going to rain again.”

Jimmy doesn’t move. I take my second pair of socks—still damp—from around my neck. My neck instantly feels the chill of the air around us. I swiftly take off my boots, take off the soaking pair on my trembling feet, and hurriedly cover them again with the slightly less-wet pair. The drenched pair now goes around my neck. Jimmy still hasn’t moved.

“Jimmy,” I say, sharply now, “switch your socks. Now. You won’t be doing any of us any good if you get trench foot.”

He remains as he is. I growl in my throat, hating to have to be the stronger one. I would love to give up as he has. Weakness is tiring, but strength is exahausting.

I stand to my feet and kneel before him. With jerky movements I take the pair from his neck and switch them with the ones on his feet. I roughly shove the wet pair around his neck.

He doesn’t say a word, or even look at me. I settle back against the wall once more. A moment later I feel a raindrop splash on my cheek. I look up at the sky, and more drops begin to fall. Men grumble and come awake. Some are already shuffling onto the duckboards. The mud will soon be too thick to stand anywhere else.

“Jim, come on,” I order, also getting on the duckboard. This time he obeys and comes to stand beside me. Part of me is glad for the rain. It will kill of most off the lice.

“We should be having orders soon,” someone next to me says. My stomach clenches, as I’m sure many other stomachs are. New orders. It is something that is always dreaded. New orders could mean three things.

Men are needed for the tunnel. Men are required to repress a German attack. Or, the one most dreaded… men are going over the top.

Death are an almost certain result of the first two. It is an absolute certainty of the third.

The rain is coming down in torrents. Not the light drizzle we are all accustomed to. Jimmy shivers next to me, and I notice how his uniform hangs on his slight frame. I force myself to turn away. There’s nothing I can do, and I’m probably in just the same shape.

“How many do you think the front has lost?” Another man asks his comrade. I strain to hear his answer.

“Thousands.”

All the men fall silent again. We have nothing more to say. Nothing more to do, but wait. Time passes slowly. The rain does not stop. I watch as the mud oozes over the duckboard and our boots.

Jimmy’s trembling increases. He says something to me through chattering teeth, but the rain fills my ears and I cannot hear him. But I can hear the soldiers around me, speaking to each other again in urgent tones.

“The Sergeant is coming…”

“He’s coming.”

“New orders. New orders, men!”

The soldiers are shifting, growing more agitated as our leader comes to us. I do not see him. But eventually I hear him. And I also hear the words that I did not want to hear.

“We’re going over the top, men!” He bellows. “Alpha Six! Going over the top!”

Jimmy moans again, and I clench my gun so tightly in my hand that my mud-smeared knuckles go white. I scratch some more, hurting myself in my fight for control.

Our squad follows the Sergeant in a single-file line through the trenches. Men from different squads step into the mud to allow us to pass. Some stare as if we’re condemned.

Then I remember that we are.

Jimmy is sniffling. I scowl when a man shoves my friend from behind. Jimmy falls against me but hastily straightens himself. “Toughen up, weakling!” The burly soldier snaps at him. “This is war, not some funeral we have time to cry at!”

I whip my head around to glare at him. He glares back. But then I am forced to move on. Jimmy is trying to hold in his tears. I don’t turn—the line is moving quickly—but I say, “Let it out, Jimmy. This will be the last chance both of us has to cry.”

I can’t see his face, and he doesn’t make a reply. We keep moving towards the front. A grim silence hovers in the trenches. We are not unaware that we march to our deaths.

My mind is consumed with picturing Anna. Her red curls… those sweet lips…

We’ve reached the front. Soldiers press their backs along the wall to give us room. I take a deep breath, trying to prepare myself.

“Move! Move, now!” Our Sergeant shouts, and we, as a group, scramble up over the trench wall and up into the open. I barely have time to notice that Jimmy is still beside me.

“Drop!”

Immediately we comply—there are gunshots coming at us with such numbers and swiftness that it’s staggering. I see a few men fall to the ground, already dead.

We inch forward as quickly as we can. Bullets whiz past alarmingly close to my head. Men are being shot and bombed and dying off as easily and swiftly as swatted flies. Not men to the Germans—just targets. As they are to us.

Our numbers dwindle. No Man’s Land is littered with bodies. Some are days old, and as I crawl pass them I gag at their stench.

A soldier next to Jimmy cries out as his leg is shot. He clutches at it, and the pause is just enough time for him to be shot in the head.

Jimmy is frantic beside me. His eyes are wide and there is blood splattered across his face. He is desperate for cover, and he picks up his pace up to find it. But we both know there is none.

Ahead of me I watch as my Sergeant is shot down. He makes a sound in his throat, and slumps. I grit my teeth and force myself to keep moving.

There will be none of us left when we reach the barbed wire. We have no orders and there will be no new ones, such as turning back. Our Sergeant is already dead. But our old orders are clear. Turning back on our own would be desertion. I am no coward.

Jimmy screams, and I jerk my head to look at him. He’s stopped crawling, and is sprawled out onto the hard ground. I feel my lip tremble as I stare into my dead friend’s eyes. The front of his uniform is darkening with the steady stream of blood coming out of his chest. A wound caused by a German bullet.

I’ve stayed still for too long. A bullet pierces my side, and I clench my teeth to keep from crying out.

Leaving Jimmy behind, I determinedly start crawling again, trying to ignore the pain. I am bent on killing at least one German before I follow my friend to Heaven or Hell.

I’m one of the last of my squad still living. Bullets come at me from seemingly all sides. I lift my gun; I won’t be able to get any closer. I can see, at a distance, two Germans standing outside of their trenches. I manage to raise my own gun at one of them, though my side burns and hinders me. I close an eye in an attempt to aim.

Another bullet shoots through my hand, and this time I shout in pain. I pull the trigger just as another pain sears through my chest.

I lay back and stare up at the sky. I feel my life draining from me. The bombing overhead does not stop to recognize the death of a simple foot soldier.

They look so much like fireworks… I smile dreamily and reach out my injured hand to try and touch one. So very beautiful, in a dangerous and deadly way. I can almost pretend it’s the Fourth of July, and we’ve won the war. My name is listed among those who fought honorably and died for our country. Anna will hear it, and she’ll smile with pride through her tears. There will be fireworks, just like the ones exploding over me.

Fireworks for the war…
Last edited by KJ on Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:06 pm, edited 9 times in total.

203 Reviews

Reviews: 203
Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:51 pm
October Girl says...

Wow, I don't think we've met but KJ, this is some really good work. It almost made me cry! I loved it, but I do think if you wanted to maybe to shorten it, but then again, that's just me. :D I can really imagine this because my brother has fought in the war thank goodness he's still alive but still your work made me see it so beautifully and clearly. I love this piece and look forward to seeing more from you. Your awesome!

-Max
We're meant to be one
I know we are...
If I am the Sky
Then you are my star... ™

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:27 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

Beautiful work. Really. You bring the horrors of war to the front.

I loved the mundane things like the switching of the socks. The fact that you remembered to make them do things as simple as that makes them into real men, rather than cannon fodder.

Really my only critique is towards the beginning, when the narrator hopes Jimmy doesn't have "Shell shock". I think that capitalized 'S' is unnecessary.

Strange coincidence: 'Jimmy' is the name of the character who is killed in "Independence Day', though not particularly in the same circumstances. He was Will Smith's character's best friend, and Will Smith was the stronger of the two characters. Interesting...

Anyway, fabulous job.

*thumbs up*

Great job.

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

582 Reviews

Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:57 pm
KJ says...

Yeah, that is interesting about the Jimmy thing. I've never seen Independence Day, so it wasn't intentional.

Thanks, by the way, for your stars and critiques. Really appreciate it.

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:21 pm
bkwrm says...

This is so great - did you learn about stuff like the switching of socks in school, or did you find it out somewhere else? Well anyway, it works really well. This piece is so moving, I can't believe how well you've captured the idea.

I scratch my chest, and the mud caked on my skin gets under my nails even more. The lice are quickly growing in numbers; the itches are becoming more unrelenting and a greater cause for misery.

1) 'the mud caked on my skin gets under my nails even more.'
If it's caked on his skin, then it can't already be under his nails. I know that you want to imply that he keeps on getting mud from his skin under his nails, but you need to find a new way of phrasing it.

2) 'a greater cause for misery.'
Try saying an even greater cause for misery

Shell shock

no need for the capital S - it should be shell shock

I know it is troubled by the sight of his furrowed brow and heavy frown.

1) Cut out 'the sight of'

2)Furrowed brow = frown. Use either furrowed brow or heavy frown, not both.

lit up once and a while with the orange glow of bombs

1) Once in a while

2) I think you should try 'the orange glow of exploding bombs'

I tiredly sit up

I think you should say 'I sit up tiredly' but that's just my personal preference.

I’ve no doubt in my mind that they will return

There's no doubt in my mind that they will return

The drenched pair now goes around my neck.

When talking in the present tense I think it should be 'The drenched pair now go around my neck.' but you might want to check that.

My stomach clenches, as I’m sure many other stomachs are.

My stomach clenches, as I’m sure many other stomachs do.

Or, the one most dreaded… Men are going over the top.

I don't think you need the capital m for Men.

growing more agitated as our leader apparently comes to us

Cut out the apparently

Let it out, Jim.

You've referred to him only as Jimmy thus far - don't change, remain consistent.

Men are being shot and bombed and dying off as easily and swiftly as flies.

Try 'Men are being shot and bombed, dying off as easily and swiftly as swatted flies.' instead

There will be fireworks, just like the ones exploding over me.

Fireworks for the war…

This ending is beautiful, just so ... right.

This is a fantastic piece, you've done so well. Congratulations.

Keep writing,
Bkwrm :)

582 Reviews

Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:38 pm
KJ says...

Thanks for your help. I learned about the socks thing in school. I was actually paying attention for once! Good thing I did, huh?

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:02 pm
Fishr says...

Hey, K! Just returning the favor... ;)

While I read through the comments, many said it was moving. It was not for me. I've personally dealt with death on a number occasions that I've hardened up. It's very difficult to have words truly affect my emotions. However, this means the story didn't set in motion to lots of thinking. ;) It made me think and ponder, wondering. You see I had two uncles that were served in WW2, which both survived. One died before I could speak to him. The other passed away when I was ten but I've been able to retain certain things in body postures and expressions in regards to how this uncle perceived war movies when watching them. For instance, for a man that is chatty, he would grow distant and nearly silent if a war-type film was on TV.

But, on with the critique.

First, I'm a little confused the real purpose of Jimmy's role in the story? He just seems like your puppet; a person picked on by showing us how poorly he's adjusted yet your main character is only scratching from lice? Surely he must have been suffering as greatly to some degree as Jimmy but you never show us how so. As for the lice, you’ve seemed to have got sidetracked, especially when the Sergeant came into play because the itchiness of the parasites never is foreshadowed throughout the rest of the story, just forgotten. When on the front lines, I think it would be very interesting to show us the lice nipping and annoying our two soldiers by further distracting them from being snipped or bombed.

So, the Sergeant just died? Like that? One minute he’s barking orders and? But in reality, how does your main character know this fact? It is in the First Person POV so you’ll have to account for specifics through the eyes of the character. This means if he is crawling along, focusing his vision straight ahead mostly, there is no way for him to know that his commanding officer keeled over. In this POV, the writer cannot say, “He died,” if the character had not seen or heard details concerning death. The sentence that told us of the death of the Sergeant needs to be rewritten. ;)

Was Alpha Six a real squad? Just wondering.

I noticed that you decided to not take any prisoners, lol! Everyone died a horrible death, yet… While there wasn’t mass gore, you’ve managed to poke our subconscious mind, thus I can imagine grisly deaths without needing to read mass adjectives and an absurd amount of descriptive paragraphs to know and realize the cruelties of warfare. Excellent job with that!

This piece was long, and while I typically don’t have the attention span to read longer stories on the net, I have to admit I was riveted from the beginning to the end.

Nice work. ;)
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

582 Reviews

Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:01 pm
KJ says...

Samuel Garrison -

Those are some excellent points. Thanks. I'll get to work on them soon.

As to a question and a statement you made:

Was Alpha Six a real squad? Just wondering.

Yes, it was. I did some research.

I noticed that you decided to not take any prisoners, lol!

We learned in class that when men went "over the top" there were NEVER any prisoners taken. It was either death or desertion. Choice of the soldier.

Thanks for your review. Appreciate it.

365 Reviews

Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:03 am
Fishr says...

You're very welcome, and thanks for answering my own questions. I learned something new. :)

Cheers!
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:56 am
melkor says...

Well I have finally ddi as I said I would!

To be honest, it's nothing short of fantastic!
I'm very interesting in humanities war and 'going over the top' is an old one for stories but you managed to pull it off as well a smany authors have.

the only thing I'll say in negativity is, that you decribed more events than surroundings.
true, that may be more suited to the peice , but I think you should maybe describe the landscape a bit more.
But really, nice work!

"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it. "
"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
~Douglas Adams

842 Reviews

Reviews: 842
Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:53 pm
ashleylee says...

Nice work Kels. You did great on it. (as you do in all your work) I really like how you described everything and it was a good idea to make this into a short story. If it had been any longer, you would have taken away the suspense.

Oh god, the ending made me so sad! :cry: But that was your point and you did well with it.

Umm, I see that you took peoples advise and fixed everything so there really isn't anything for me to correct so...

Keep up the good work! :)
"Woe to the man whose heart has not learned while young to hope, to love—and to put his trust in life."
~ Joseph Conrad

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
~ Red Auerbach

Random avatar

Reviews: 13
Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:22 pm
weekend_warrior says...

Let me preface my review by indicating that I am currently serving in the United States Army in the middle east (can't say exactly where).

I enjoyed reading your piece. It is WWI, no? You seem to have a firm grasp on the military at the time, far more than I find most people have when writing war stories. My critiques on that note will be short, as you have taken the time to do research, and I appreciate that.

Improves:

“Alpha Six! Going over the top!”

In WWI, the phonetic alphabet was still the WWII era. A=Able, B=Baker etc... unlike today where A=Alpha, B=Bravo.

We inch forward as quickly as we can. Men are being shot and bombed and dying off as easily and swiftly as swatted flies. Not men to the Germans—just targets. As they are to us.

You might want to describe the bullets whizzing and whistling as they ring by his head.

Sustains:

Your ability to vividly describe the battlefield is commendable. As stated before, your research was solid for the most part. I would be intererested in reading other works by you.
James
Soldier, Student

Random avatar

Reviews: 8
Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:23 pm
Omnifur7 says...

Awesome. Very dramatic. I really liked it.

Keep up the great work! Later!

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:08 pm
Church says...

I love war stories and tragedies. I love tragic war stories the most. This reminded me of Blackhawk Down. Very well writen and the need for revenge at the end was very good. I only wish he would have gotten a shot off. Poor guy. The relation of the fireworks to the bombs in the beginning and end was good and I wan to rread more of your work. of course not on this storyline becasue you killed the MC but... Just keep writing
-"When God gives you lemons, you find new God" YouTube.com
-If the world is going to end soon, so be it. It can end without me. Myself
-http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?p=364993#364993 When the World Stops Spinning

365 Reviews

Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:57 pm
Fishr says...

Came to check on your edits. ;)

The improvements are top notch and have made the story, its characters and the plot solidfied. The part where Tom sees his commanding officer "slump" is unfortunately vivid. As I said, I had two uncles that served in WW2. What I didn't tell you is that by my ancestors, I basically come from a militery family, starting with the American Revolution to the Korean War. Another war my family have been in are the CW. My grandfather was in the Navy and I have another that was in the Army but never served in any war, just enlisted in the 1940's. For those of us who have family that were in any type of warfare, I think we can especially appreciate a piece like this, not for the plot, chars but for what the storyline really is: War and it's untimely aftermath.

I think I have thankfully avoided being quoted.
— Lavvie