z

Young Writers Society

Herasy and Treason

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:05 pm
vixeyt says...

I hated my name, despised it beyond all belief. That is why I stopped using it. Mary. It was a good name. A good, strong name. A catholic name. The same name of a catholic princess turned Queen. A Queen turned monstrous tyrant. That was what I thought of Lady Elizabeth’s sister. She had so much blood on her hands, my family’s included. Protestant blood. We were living in dangerous times, turbulent times. None of us knew which way the wind was blowing, figuratively speaking. Here on Tower Hill the wind was blowing towards the crowd, towards the executioner, towards me. It was laughable, it really was. I had survived the stake and the Spanish only to be caught and tried. The most amusing factor of the situation was that I was going to die for treason rather than heresy. I was going to die a traitor rather than a heretic. My mother, father, sister, brother and Aunt had met God through the flames. I was to meet him from the block.

In my current situation as I ascended those steps onto the scaffold I should have either been terrified or calm and controlled as brave Lady Jane Grey had been just over three years ago. Many tears I had shed for her. Now the only tears I shed were from the effort of containing my laughter. It was this that scared me the most. I was going to die, here, today and inside I was laughing. I caught sight of the axe and just could not help it. I started giggling, that giggle quickly turning to raucous laughter. Both the executioner and the large crowd were looking at me in disbelief and rightly so. I could guess their thoughts would include madness somewhere. Far from it. I was not at the mercy of madness; it was the world that was. If I was to be honest with myself, which I very rarely was these days, I was glad to be leaving it. Nineteen years of life and I had had enough. This, I knew, was very unusual for anyone of my years. It was very unusual for anyone in general, no matter who they were.

The executioner gestured for me to place my head on the block, still looking at me with mild alarm and slight fear. He had obviously never met anyone who was going to their death laughing. I fell to my knees before the black and looked to the crowd assembled to watch the gruesome display that was to be my death. I should have felt anger or contempt towards them but all I could feel was pity. Pity for what was to come, pity for what they would have to endure. I was lucky to be dying this day; they were unlucky to be living. I managed to contain my laughter as I clasped my hands together, bowed my head and muttered a quick prayer. I looked to the executioner and smiled brightly, to tell him that I had no ill feeling towards him for what he was about to do, for being the bearer of what was going to end my life. A small smile flitting across his features was my reply before he nodded his head once, hoping I understood his meaning. Understand I did. I placed my head upon the block, linking my fingers behind my back. I started to hum the beginning part of a lullaby I had sung to Edward when he was ill. Everyone was silent and still, waiting for my last words.

“God’s mercy on the Spanish Puppy’s soul!” My voice was loud, strong and confident. Everyone could hear me; everyone understood that I was referring to the Queen. I was a traitor to the very end. These were such words to die with, to die upon.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice but conformity

Bee is in the house bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

287 Reviews

Reviews: 287
Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:49 pm
Maki-Chan says...

COOL! I really enjoyed reading this. It liked ended in a second (Really like 10 minutes- since I reread it 3 times). I like how you described her feelings towards dying for being a 'traitor'. It was a surprised that she started to laugh, and I felt sad for her. I hoped that some random person would save her, even though I knew it wouldn't happen. It could make an interesting story- her life. I wouldn't mind reading it. Especially if you wrote it. You have a wonderful writing style, which I adore ^_^
check out my deviantart account ^_^
http://maki121.deviantart.com/

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:51 pm
Kaylyn says...

This was a great story! Do you have any other posts on this? I would enjoy reading them, and it would be so good! Your grammar was flawless. I have read up alot of history on this time period and you did a great job portraying it. This was simply awesome. I need to extend my vocabulary. I couldn't bypass this story without telling you how great it was. I would put in a little more detail, but other than that I can find no mistakes. If you have any help, or questions, PM me. Let me know if you caome out with more. I would enjoy reading it. So good luck, and keep writing.
As your pretty, so be wise,
Wolves may lurk in every guise.

58 Reviews

Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:37 pm
vixeyt says...

Thank you, both of you, for reading it and for posting replies. It's lovely that you've expressed an interest in it. Unfortunatly my time is currently being taken up by my other story which is set about 30 years before this one so nothing new has been produced.

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:26 am
cooldude19967 says...

A very good story! It kept my attention right to the end, and more. I know very little abbout the time period you are writing from, but the scene came alive for me there. I could see the people and the executioner, it felt like I was inside Mary's head. If you do have time later on, please write more!
Ready and willing to rip your work to shreds! (That is if you want it) Check out my "will review for food" thread.

topic42969.html

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:33 am
Thanatos says...

I loved this.
Mary's personality was clearly shown; you also did great in describing the time period, I especially enjoyed it when she smiled at the executionar and vice versa.
It was just great
“I fear one day I'll meet God, he'll sneeze and I won't know what to say.” - Ronnie Shakes

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:42 am
View Likes
Winter's Twelfth Night says...

That was an excellent story! Incredibly well written. I absolutely LOVE that time period! I really want to know the rest of the story. Where did you get Mary's last words from? Who is the Spanish Puppy? I know a lot about the Tudor era, but mostly Tudor England. Anyway, you should get this story published.

Reviews: 2
Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:58 am
Minerva Scriptor says...

Wow! This piece is really amazing! Short, sweet, and poetic. I never knew that a piece of writing this short could be so full of meaning. I have had an interest in this time period for some time now, and have been doing a little bit of research into it. So far however, my knowledge is limited to the wives of King Henry VIII. Is this "Spanish puppy" the daughter of Katherine of Aragon, and the queen known as "Bloody Mary"?

Anyway, I would love to read more of your writing if it is as good as this.
I never tell anybody exactly how clever I am.
They would be too scared. ~Artemis Fowl

Accept the Truth.
If you don’t like it, Change it.

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:41 am
chichi says...

This is quite a strong piece, and I admire that, although you need to refrain from overdoing the strength of the language, especially about the laughing and "being lucky to die".

Post subject: Herasy and Treason

Can I please point out that the word is spelled "heresy"? And that you spelled it right in the story?

It was a good name.

This suggests that Mary likes the name, but her obvious dislike of the queen suggests otherwise?

None of us knew which way the wind was blowing, figuratively speaking.

Take out the "figuratively speaking". It sounds like you are adding notes to your work within the piece itself, and also it's totally unnecessary.

I was not at the mercy of madness; it was the world that was.

I love this sentence!

I was lucky to be dying this day; they were unlucky to be living.

Okay, okay, we get the message already.

Overall: not bad. I see that everyone else loved it. Good work!
Does anyone else smell books when they read them?

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:27 pm
Lost_in_dreamland says...

I hated my name, despised it beyond all belief.1 That is why I stopped using it. Mary. It was a good name. A good, strong name. A catholic name. The same name of a catholic princess turned Queen. A Queen turned monstrous tyrant. That was what I thought of Lady Elizabeth’s sister. She had so much blood on her hands, my family’s included. Protestant blood. We were living in dangerous times, turbulent times. None of us knew which way the wind was blowing, figuratively speaking.2 Here on Tower Hill the wind was blowing towards the crowd, towards the executioner,3 towards me. It was laughable, it really was. I had survived the stake and the Spanish only to be caught and tried. The most amusing factor of the situation was that I was going to die for treason rather than heresy.4 I was going to die a traitor rather than a heretic. My mother, father, sister, brother and Aunt had met God through the flames. I was to meet him from the block.

In my current situation as I ascended those steps onto the scaffold I should have either been terrified or calm and controlled as brave Lady Jane Grey had been just over three years ago. Many tears I had shed for her. Now the only tears I shed were from the effort of containing my laughter. It was this that scared me the most. I was going to die, here, today and inside I was laughing. I caught sight of the axe and just could not help it. I started giggling, that giggle quickly turning to raucous laughter. Both the executioner and the large crowd were looking at me in disbelief and rightly so. I could guess their thoughts would include madness somewhere. Far from it. I was not at the mercy of madness; it was the world that was. If I was to be honest with myself, which I very rarely was these days, I was glad to be leaving it. Nineteen years of life and I had had5 enough. This, I knew, was very unusual for anyone of my years. It was very unusual for anyone in general, no matter who they were.

The executioner gestured for me to place my head on the block, still looking at me with mild alarm and slight fear. He had obviously never met anyone who was going to their death laughing. I fell to my knees before the black and looked to the crowd assembled to watch the gruesome display that was to be my death. I should have felt anger or contempt towards them but all I could feel was pity. Pity for what was to come, pity for what they would have to endure. I was lucky to be dying this day; they were unlucky to be living. I managed to contain my laughter as I clasped my hands together, bowed my head and muttered a quick prayer. I looked to the executioner and smiled brightly, to tell him that I had no ill feeling towards him for what he was about to do, for being the bearer of what was going to end my life. A small smile flitting across his features was my reply before he nodded his head once, hoping I understood his meaning.6 Understand7 I did. I placed my head upon the block, linking my fingers behind my back. I started to hum the beginning part of a lullaby I had sung to Edward when he was ill. Everyone was silent and still, waiting for my last words.

“God’s mercy on the Spanish Puppy’s soul!” My voice was loud, strong and confident. Everyone could hear me; everyone understood that I was referring to the Queen. I was a traitor to the very end. These were such words to die with, to die upon.

This was really very good. A strong narrative and poignant POV. I really enjoyed it. You have very good characterd development ;) Mary is a strong woman, not a cliche or a boring character. Very interesting indeed. Your grammar was flawless and the prose was fresh. Very well done, indeed. I shall move swiftly onto numbers as I found no fault in the writing. I sing your praises ;)

1. Very strong starting sentence. Already, you are building a character, Rome wasn't built in a day, but there must have been a starting point, where they started to lay down construction, you have done this already in the very first sentence. Well done ;)
2. Excellent description and your character is well developed already, more developed than a lot of people have in a whole story.
3. I think you should rewrite it like this:
blowing towards the executioner. Towards me.

It seems more effective having two sentences.
4. You've spelt heresy right here, but not in the title :lol:
5. This reads very awkwardly because of the two hads together. Maybe have:
I'd had

Or choose an alternate word.
6. Very good ;)
7. comma.

This was very good, well done :)
~Lost xxx
for what are we without words and stories?

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:23 pm
Midnight Bliss says...

Terrific story!!!! absolutely terrific!! its like i could see it happening in my head. I could understand her laughter and why she felt the way she felt. Why she pitied them. Oh I love it!!! now on with my review!

A Queen turned monstrous tyrant. I think that it would sound better if you said "A Queen that turned into a monstrous tyrant."

"If I was to be honest with myself, which I very rarely was these days" I don't think that the word very is needed in this phrase. Adding that in to me over emphasized the phrase.

Once again, excellent story!!! terrific!! lol I hope you continue this if you haven't already lol!

-Midnight Bliss

58 Reviews

Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:47 pm
vixeyt says...

Her last words came from my mind, to my knowledge no one in history has said them.

Yes, we shall all laugh at my mispelling the word heresy. :)

The Spanish Puppy is Mary I, the eldest born of Henry VIIIs children. Her mother WAS his first wive Katherine of Aragon. I have used the words 'spanish puppy' because very few people were pleased with the Spanish marriage and felt that Mary would be under the complete control of Spain. Like a puppy is to their master. Hence, Spanish Puppy.

Thank you for reading, I am glad that so many of you enjoyed it. Thank you for leaving a comment and just, in general, thank you :)

You are going to love some of your characters because they are you, or some facet of you, and you are going to hate some characters for the same reason.
— Anne Lamott