z

Young Writers Society

16th Street

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:02 am
Kylan says...

I sit here on the steps of the old baptist church, crying a little bit.
Th sun is so bright that it hurts to look at the white of my dress and so I close my eyes and let the hot burn right through my lids. The heat presses down on our city like an clothing iron and turns our nice sunday dresses and such into white little cocoons that slurp around our bodies with sweat. My skin is all sticky. Everything melts and slides around, like butter on top of a stack of flapjacks. Cars sweat and pant in the shade of skinny, tortured trees and people walk by with their mouths open and their flesh hanging on their bones. When you step on it, the grass crinkles under your feet, their glass spines snapping, grey as metal shavings swept away in a machineshop.
I try my best to suck up my tears, like papa always tells me to, but Bobby Daniels was so mean! I want so bad to pop him in the mouth, smush that knobby face until all his meanness runs in between my fingers like overripe peach-juice. I couldn't bear to stay in sunday school after he said that about my hair, I just couldn't. It didnt matter what old Mrs Kotter had to say, I wasnt going to sit around and let everyone laugh at me.
I reach up and touch my lint-fuzz hair, short and rough and black. It aint all that bad. Papa doesn't always give a good haircut, it's true. He just brings out that electric razor, oiling and buzzing like a cicada and sheers everything off. He sits me on his lap and whittles my head down and I can feel his banjo gut against my body, jiggling and warm. But it aint all that bad. I just look like every other nigger child, dark and measly and skinnychested in the mirror.
A man on the street with a sickleback and old, slag-metal skin gives me a howdy and a smile, full of empty black holes, like a tin can used for gun practice. He walks with his feet angled and his neck pushed out and his hands rolled up. I can hear people singing songs in the church behind me. Singing about God and forgiveness and mercy and glory. I think about what the preacher was saying earlier, about how Lord Jesus always forgave everyone, no matter what they did to him, even when he was dying on the cross, filled with so many holes and bleeding all over. Then I think about Bobby Daniels and punching his lights out.
I notice some white men across the street, with their faces dusty and squat, like cans in the pantry. They're staring at me. I squint and look away.
Amazin' Grace, how sweet the sound!
They're smoking cigarettes and they have their hands in their pockets. Every once in a while, they pinch the cigarette between their sidewalk-chalk fingers and spit on the ground.
That saved a WRETCH like me!
I realize that they're not looking at me, actually, because when one of them sees me, he winks at me like he hasnt seen me before, his face splitting into a toothy smile. I smile back.
He waves and the others laugh.
I once was lost, but now am found, was blind but now I –
The whole earth seems to freeze up for a second. Stuttering, breathless. And then I hear the church behind me let out a sigh, delicate as a flightless bird, and I feel something scoop me up, firey and scalding, bending the air around me and cupping all my breath in its hands. Flames. A popping sound, like someone snapping their gum and I fall flat on my face on the sidewalk, thrown, skinning up my knees. Everything wheels. Cant focus. Ears bleeding. Dab my hands against the side of my head. Struggle. Struggle for air. Sky is overexposed. I say something. Cant hear it. Mighty ringing. Schoolbells. Try to get to my feet, fall back down. Repeat. The street buckles and sags like the gullied back of an old horse. Turn over on my back. Heat on my face. Try again to stand. Legs shaky. Prop my bloody hands against my knees and pant. Look up. Look at the church. On fire and blasted out in the middle, blackened and burnt. Papers and prayers fluttering in the air. The doors are shucked clear off their hinges, leaving an open, ashy mouth. Everything tinkles and poofs, like those old-fashioned flashbulbs.
They blew it up.
They blew the whole godforsaken church up.
I straighten up and command my legs to walk me closer.
People are screaming and people are bleeding, laid out black and twisted as stumps pulled out of the earth. I see Old Man Koehn and Mrs Holden lying there on the front steps, small and gutless, and I see a bunch of little shilling-eyed black kids just around the corner of the church. They are still. Stagnating and poison and muddied. People who live on the streets are coming out of their homes and holding their hands to their mouths and walking over and standing around the burning church like someone might stand around a preacher damning on the streets.
The white men across the street are gone.
God in heaven.
Saw it coming, Mack. Saw it coming a mile away.
Look at em! Do something! Call the police!
Shame. What a godawful shame.
Prob'ly hear that blast all the way in Bessemer.
The men have their hands in their pockets and they're shaking their heads. The women are frantic and running into the houses to call the police. I walk forward, dumb. I walk into the church and step around the bodies, searching. Crying. Tears dribbling down my chin and onto my beautiful white dress. Hymn books charred and burnt and people with ember faces and spooled limbs and Amazing Grace echoing around the chapel like a stone dropped down a neverending well.
I'm looking.
I'm looking for Bobby Daniels.
I find him after a little while under the body of a big, working man and I pull him out and I kiss him on the face over and over, giving him forgiveness, saying it's okay, it's okay. You can rest easy. You can die easy, Bobby.
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:57 am
Winter's Twelfth Night says...

Hello Kylan! I am Winter's Twelfth Night (or just Winter) and I shall review your story today! Well, I must say that this was intense! Is this based on a real event, or did you make it up? I've heard many stories that are similar to this one. So tragic.

Anyway, here are my comments:

Th sun is so bright that it hurts to look at the white of my dress and so I close my eyes and let the hot burn right through my lids.

1. The sun. 2. This is quite a long sentence. I would suggest making it two sentences to help the flow of the story. Try "The sun is so bright that it hurts to look at the white of my dress. I close my eyes and let the hot rays burn right through my lids."

The heat presses down on our city like an clothing iron and turns our nice sunday dresses and such into white little cocoons that slurp around our bodies with sweat.

1. A clothing iron. Not an clothing iron. 2. I don't think slurp is the right word. Try "...into white cocoons that hug our sweating bodies".

When you step on it, the grass crinkles under your feet, their glass spines snapping, grey as metal shavings swept away in a machineshop.

I loved the imagery in this sentence, but it was a little long. Try "When you take a step the grey grass crinkles audibly under your feet, their glass spines snapping."

I want so bad to pop him in the mouth, smush that knobby face until all his meanness runs in between my fingers like overripe peach-juice.

Excellent imagery! I don't think that peach juice needs a hyphen.

I couldn't bear to stay in sunday school after he said that about my hair, I just couldn't

The flow of the story would be better if this was two sentences. Replace the comma with a period.

It aint all that bad.

Aint should be ain't.

He sits me on his lap and whittles my head down and I can feel his banjo gut against my body, jiggling and warm.

I wouldn't say that her father is whittling her head down. Maybe just replace head with hair.

But it aint all that bad.

Again, aint should be ain't

A man on the street with a sickleback and old, slag-metal skin gives me a howdy and a smile, full of empty black holes, like a tin can used for gun practice.

Take out the comma after smile. Sickleback should be sickled back.

He walks with his feet angled and his neck pushed out and his hands rolled up.

Replace the second "and" with a comma, it will help the flow.

Singing about God and forgiveness and mercy and glory.

This gets repetitive. You need to break it up. Try "Singing about God and forgiveness, mercy and glory."

I think about what the preacher was saying earlier, about how Lord Jesus always forgave everyone, no matter what they did to him, even when he was dying on the cross, filled with so many holes and bleeding all over.

Woah. This is a run-on sentence and you've added too many commas. Try "I think about what the preacher was saying earlier about how Lord Jesus always forgave everyone, no matter what they did to him. Even when he was dying on the cross filled with holes and bleeding all over."

I notice some white men across the street, with their faces dusty and squat, like cans in the pantry.

Take out the second comma.

I realize that they're not looking at me, actually, because when one of them sees me, he winks at me like he hasnt seen me before, his face splitting into a toothy smile.

Another run-on!

And then I hear the church behind me let out a sigh, delicate as a flightless bird, and I feel something scoop me up, firey and scalding, bending the air around me and cupping all my breath in its hands.

Run-on. Spilt up all of these long sentences!

Cant focus.

Cant should be can't.

People are screaming and people are bleeding, laid out black and twisted as stumps pulled out of the earth.

Take out the second "people". Again, great imagery.

Overall, this was outstanding! You had some of the best imagery I've ever read. The only thing you need to work on is cutting down your sentences. They tend to be long and separated my many commas, but they should really be multiple sentences.
Again, excellent job. If you have any questions about my review or anything else, please feel free to PM me!
-Winter
Mamillius: Merry or sad shall’t be?
Hermione: As merry as you will.
Mamillius: A sad tale’s best for winter. I have one
Of sprites and goblins.

The Winter's Tale

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:03 am
View Likes
Kylan says...

Winter's Twelfth Night >> Thank you very much for your comments! I'm glad you enjoyed the piece. However, I feel like I need to point out a couple things.

1.) The run-ons were actually a stylistic choice of mine, meaning to convey the scattered, flowing thoughts of a child. A child born and raised in the black south.

2.) I purposefully left out the apostrophes in certain contractions, such as "Won't", again, for style's sake and to achieve a certain atmosphere of uneducation.

And yes, this story was based on the bombing of the 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham.

Thanks,

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:14 am
Winter's Twelfth Night says...

Hmmm... Interesting. I understand how you wanted to make the piece sound like the thoughts of a child. That's a nice idea, actually, once you understand it. But do want it to look like a child wrote it? If you don't contract words, it will just look poorly written. Or is this supposed to be sort of like a journal entry made by a young girl? I suggest that you put a note at the beginning of the story letting readers know about these choices. But again, excellent imagery!
-Winter
Mamillius: Merry or sad shall’t be?
Hermione: As merry as you will.
Mamillius: A sad tale’s best for winter. I have one
Of sprites and goblins.

The Winter's Tale

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:47 am
Juniper says...

Hey there Kylan!

I never review anything of yours for various reasons. The main reason being that it's too good to receive reviews.

Anyway, I love the way this is written. From the beginning I could see that it was from the point of view of someone in the black south. It was also clear that it was about the church in Birmingham :); you did a fabulous job with that.

The only issue I found was, somewhere towards the end:

Tears dribbling down my chin and onto my beautiful white dress.

This is the only point in the story that tells us that the narrator is most likely a girl? As I was reading it, the point of view seemed more like a boys' than if a girl was speaking. Even though you say in the first paragraph that they're wearing dresses, this part makes it seem like it's coming from a girl. That part slightly confused me. I don't know if you meant it to have this effect or if it can be worked on.

Other than that, it was fabulous. Perfectly written; most often when people try to capture the way someone from a certain place speaks, they fail. You never do ;)

Amazingly brilliant.

100/10

Great job!

June
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:15 am
Evi says...

Hey, I'm Evi. I'm surprised nobody else has gotten to this; you're pretty famous on YWS!

The sun is so bright that it hurts to look at the white of my dress and so I close my eyes and let the hot (heat?) burn right through my lids.

I try my best to suck up my tears, like papa always tells me to, but Bobby Daniels [s]was[/s] so mean!

'Is so mean', I believe. Present tense, right?

I want so bad to pop him in the mouth, smush that knobby face until all his meanness runs in between my fingers like overripe peach-juice.

I love this sentence. :D

It didnt matter what old Mrs Kotter had to say, I wasnt going to sit around and let everyone laugh at me.

Period after 'Mrs.' and apostraphe in 'didn't'.

It aint all that bad.
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:49 am
Clo says...

Kylan, thanks for the reminder. I can always count on you to make me not forget! :) --

The heat presses down on our city like an clothing iron and turns our nice sunday dresses and such into white little cocoons that slurp around our bodies with sweat.

I'm questioning the "and such" as not entirely necessary and subtracting from the imagery, but I'm merely questioning. Also, I must say, the writing at the beginning of this story is truly just amazing, as of this point.

I try my best to suck up my tears, like papa always tells me to, but Bobby Daniels was so mean!

I know the exclamation point is meant to show childishness, but I still don't like it. That's personal preference -- I just don't like them out of of dialogue.

Amazin' Grace, how sweet the sound!

Okay, I do like the exclamation here.

The whole earth seems to freeze up for a second. Stuttering, breathless. And then I hear the church behind me let out a sigh, delicate as a flightless bird, and I feel something scoop me up, firey and scalding,

For effect, perhaps put everything before "And then" into it's own little paragraph, and then scratch "and then" (hehe) and start a new paragraph there -- the pause there may allow for a nice hesitance before the actual explosion.

Awesome writing, awesome writing. Awe.some.writ.ing. Anyway. I was going to argue a point about how I really didn't enjoy the lack of apostrophes, but then when I reached the end and realized exactly what the story encompassed, I enjoyed the childish bad grammar experimentation. So there goes all that I was going to say, because I see now what you had in mind and I think you're right.

On the other hand, I wish there was more time spent on Bobby Daniels. His death at the end seemed rather meaningless to me, because I didn't really realize before that he was an important part of the story until his death at the end. It sounds horrible, but her grief at the end didn't reach me at all and I had a sort of "so what" air going on, which is bad of me, but like I said I had previously been oblivious to any meaning he had.

That's all. The writing here truly is wonderful.

~ Clo
How am I not myself?

If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more.
— Jane Austen