z

Young Writers Society

Blood

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:25 pm
Rosendorn says...

I ran up the steps, pulling an arrow from my quiver as I went. I could hear war cries of the Mixtecs as they entered the city from their boats. They were bent on taking this place. My task was to prevent them from going any farther than they already had.

As soon as I got to the flat roof I saw the army advancing into the city. A flicker of movement on the roofs around me was followed by men’s shouts and the sounds of bodies falling. They landed with wet thuds in water or blood-soaked earth. Soon the streets would be filled with slain men. Our island capital had been designed that way. No walls and a warren of twisting alley-ways made it easy for our army to pick off approaching solders. I put an arrow to the string and let it fly. My target landed heavily; the first pool of blood this far into the city.

Arrow after arrow flew from my bow. Most of them hit their targets with satisfying results. If they did not fall from my strike, they fell from another’s shortly after. As my quiver ran empty, I reached for the other arrows stashed beside me.

An arrow thumped into the roof deck. I spun, arrow to the string, but whoever had wanted to ambush me was already gone. A pool of blood told me what had happened to the guard stationed there. Somebody had managed to get around all defences to kill him.

Anger heated my body. Only a native to this city, this army, would know how to get close to an archer. And I had a feeling I knew who it was. I checked to make sure my club with its obsidian chips was in my hand before running to the stairs. My quiver and bow I left on the roof, knowing I would return.

At least, I hoped I would.

I didn’t bother trying to track my opponent. I knew where he was heading. He would keep to the same empty streets I would; the ones that had been blocked off to steer the Mixtecs into traps. But he wouldn’t run into any traps. Neither would I.

“Chantico!”

Not one to ignore the bark of a captain, I halted.

“You were ordered not to leave your post.”

I met his gaze, unflinching. “I was ambushed, Sir. And I know who did it.”

“You can let others take care—” the captain stopped when he saw the set of my jaw. “They won’t be able to. I see.”

He waved me on without waiting for a response then yelled at another man to take my post. Silently thankful he understood, I ran on. He knew who I was after. Or, he guessed. My strides became longer as I followed his trail. A flame in my stomach urged me on.

Another pool of blood let me know I was close. The body was that of Tenoch, the man who had taught me to string a bow. Who had taught him to string a bow. Tenoch had been killed from behind. The coward’s way. I said a prayer under my breath and moved on. Only this time I didn’t run. I crept along the sides of buildings; ears open for any sound of movement. Tenoch’s blood was still fresh.

I found him crouched behind a low stone wall, looking for a trap set by my companions. An arrow was put to the string of his bow. I silently slid the shield from my back and rested it on my arm. Just as he took a breath to relax, I rapped my club against the building. He spun, bow still drawn.

For long moments we stood facing each other. My shield arm twitched, ready to move should he release his arrow. Even at such a close distance, my shield would certainly stop his arrow for piercing my flesh.

Eventually he lowered his bow and laughed. “Brother, I should have known you wouldn’t hesitate to chase me.”

My lip curled at the mention we had once been tied by blood. He lost that relationship to me a long time ago.

“I’m amazed you managed to escape the city alive,” I said coldly. “I’m even more amazed the Mixtecs gave you safety.”

He shrugged. “All I did was promise them a path into the city. It’s not my fault they never asked what had driven me from here in the first place.”

“Rape and murder,” I spat, still unable to get the taste off my tongue. “And now you’ve murdered twice more. I had once said your blood ran cold, Luc.”

He flinched as I said his name. Was he somebody else now? It didn’t matter. He was only one person to me now.

“Cold like a lizard’s,” he said, finishing my sentence. “I remember.”

I shifted my weight to a fighting stance. His tone hadn’t been remorseful.

“Why did you even come back?” Both of us knew that if he was captured, he would be killed.

Luc repositioned his fingers on the bow’s shaft. “Your actions were almost the same as mine that night. Only you got away with it. And if this was the only way to find you again, so be it.”

He brought his bow up and loosened before I could respond. His arrow grazed my arm, hardly cutting into my flesh. His shot had been so far away from my body, it was almost not worth wasting the time. My confusion was forgotten when I heard the scrape of obsidian on stone as he picked up his club. I brought my shield up in time to stop his blow. Luc had just wanted to distract me. My shield shook as his club cut into the hide that covered it. I managed to throw him off just in time to stop another blow. I heard more chips being taken out of my shield as it saved my skin from his attacks. His blows kept moving higher, until one swing would have cut into my neck had I not stopped it.

We were body-to-body then. I could feel his acid breath on my face. My arms trembled from resisting his blows. The uneven puffs of air Luc took told me he was in a similar condition. Neither of us had dulled in the time we had spent apart. He had even used the same tactics we had once been taught.

Which meant he might make the same mistakes.

A last flicker of strength flared inside me. I threw him off and rammed my shield into his stomach. The breath driven from him, I hooked my leg around his and jerked. Before he could regain what little breath he had left, I had him pinned to the ground. The chip of obsidian that rested at his throat drew a pinprick of blood. The chips on my club were freshly cut. Sharp enough to kill cleanly, with hardly any pain.

“Move,” I panted, “and you die.”

Luc let his club arm go limp, but he didn’t let go of his weapon. “You won’t be able to do it, Chantico. You weren’t able to before.”

Memory filled me from that night. I remembered the fear in her eyes, the life I knew I’d destroyed. I hadn't been able to kill her. I didn't know if she had killed herself. I was almost certain she had. Seeing her cry on the roadside as we slipped away into the dark forest—the vision still haunted me.

Luc seemed to sense I was weakening. He pressed on.

“Tico, you’re still my brother. We’ll still be blood no matter what happens.”

I knew Luc too well; he was beginning to play with my mind. I wiped sweat off my brow with my arm, just to buy myself some time.

It was then I saw it. The tension in his club-arm. The slight twist to his smiling lips. The strain on his neck as he began to push himself up.

“We’ll let the gods decide,” I murmured. His mouth opened to respond, but I had already begun to swing my shield. It connected with the side of his head, emitting a soft thump. He fell back into the street, eyes rolled back so only the whites showed.

“Wise choice,” the captain said from behind me. I didn’t question why he was there, or why he hadn’t interfered. This had been a matter of family, but not anymore.

I stood up, my shield and club heavy. I felt liquid run between my fingers and remembered my cut. The pain was only a low throb; it shouldn’t take long to heal.

Other men from my unit came and carried Luc away. A captured man, he would stay locked away. But like all prisoners of war, his time in captivity would hardly be a strain. He would be given almost everything his heart desired; a last taste of sweetness before death.

I swallowed at the thought he would be imprisoned for sacrifice. I knew he would have been as soon as I saw the blood on his hands. But he had escaped before that sentence had been carried out. Only this time, there was no escape.

The captain clasped my shoulder and told me how we had won. Most of the Mixtec soldiers left dead in the streets or captured. I listened dully as he told me when the ritual combats would begin to determine who would be sacrificed. I was too tired to care about when they would start. Only the veterans were allowed to perform in the combats. It was a small mercy to me. I couldn’t be the one chosen to kill Luc.

~

A week later, the trials on the stage and with the guards had gone by. Today’s was the last combat to be held. The gods had been feasting on blood all of this week, from the losers of combats as they were slaughtered on stage and the winners who had been sacrificed at the top of our temples. They only had one more drink from the attack.

Luc’s blood.

He was led to the stage, armour-less, by two guards. They took a vine from an official and tied it around Luc’s waist, then tied it to a stone anchor in the center of the stage. If he turned to slice it during the fight, the veteran would cut him to pieces. He would be forced to fight until one was declared the victor. I leaned against a stone wall and crossed my arms. Luc had always been a good fighter. He had bested the captain once. He’d bested me just as often as I’d bested him. There was a chance he would survive this last trial and be sacrificed tomorrow. It all depended on how good the veteran was.

I heard boos from the crowd that had gathered as the guards made sure the knots were secure. All had heard of what Luc had done. Some voices called for the vine around his waist to be tied so tightly he couldn’t breathe. Others called that he shouldn’t be allowed to carry a weapon so his death would be quick. I was silent. The gods would decide what way Luc would die. No comments would alter that path.

My actions that night remained hidden from the public eye. Murder was what Luc was charged with. Even if people knew, I still wouldn’t have been slated to go on that stage. To fight to the death on red-stained stone. The stage was cleaned after every combat. It wouldn’t be fair to the opponent should they slip in another prisoner’s blood. The battle was already unfair on its own. Only a noble warrior would be able to survive.

The veteran came out, fully dressed in his quilted bodysuit and wooden helmet. The people gathered broke into cheers, but I wasn’t cheering with them. The veteran, a jaguar from his carved helmet and spotted body suite, moved onto the stage and spun his club around his hand. I suddenly knew Luc wouldn’t survive long. The captain hadn’t been able to do that.

A guard came forth and presented Luc with a club. Luc took it deliberately, keeping an eye on the seats around him. Was his expression hatred or fear? I couldn’t tell. He turned a fraction and caught my eye. His gaze was stone, a look I understood.

“Goodbye, Brother,” I mouthed before turning away from the fight
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:49 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

Mixtecs

Assuming this is the happy medium between Aztecs and Mayas? :wink:

Of course, historically speaking, this ethnic group makes much more sense.
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:21 pm
Bickazer says...

Here's my review. :) It'll be a little less nitpicky than the previous one because I think I took care of most of the nitpicks there.

As soon as I got to the flat roof I saw the army advancing into the city

"Got to"? Try for a stronger verb, like "reached".

I met his gaze, unflinching. “I was ambushed, Sir. And I know who did it.”

I don't think "sir" is capitalized, even in a military context.

My confusion was forgotten when I heard the scrape of obsidian on stone as he picked up his club.

I don't remember if I commented on this in the PM or not, but passive voice...icky. Especially in a fight scene.

They only had one more drink from the attack.

This is a nice image, but the "from the attack" part feels rather...awkward.

Some voices called for the vine around his waist to be tied so tightly he couldn’t breathe. Others called that he shouldn’t be allowed to carry a weapon so his death would be quick.

Nice way of showing, instead of telling, the peoples' hatred of Luc.

The veteran came out

Came out? "Emerged"..."approached", maybe?

fully dressed in his quilted bodysuit and wooden helmet.

"Resplendent" instead of "fully dressed" would be a stronger verb.

The veteran, a jaguar from his carved helmet and spotted body suite

"Suit", not "suite". :) Perhaps this'd be worded better as "judging by" instead of "from".

All right, overall, I have to say that I'm still not getting the full emotional impact. I just don't know enough about "that night" to really care. It's an integral event, yet is barely skimmed over in the narrative. I know you were trying for a mysterious tone, but to be honest it's somewhat hurting the story. Not knowing exactly what happened gives me no emotional investment in these characters.

Again, I'd advise perhaps depicting in detail some of the events of "that night" in flashback format (perhaps paralleling the events of the actual story), or have Luc and Chantico discuss it, or at least have Chantico ruminate on it a bit more. Because as it is, "that night" just feels distant and vague.

Near the end, I started to get bothered by the profusion of short, emphatic sentences. Granted, long rambling sentences aren't any better and it's good to be emphatic, but at the same time it started making the flow seem a bit...choppy? I'm feeling some of those short sentences could be combined for more variety in sentence structure, and thus easier flow.

*flails* Agggh, I know I seem harsh...I did enjoy this, and it certainly is better than the first version. All I'm saying is we need a bit more emotional investment (and I know I broke out that term all over the PM...but it is important, especailly in a first-person story). Keep up the good work, the best of luck in your endeavors, etc. :)
Ah, it is an empty movement. That is an empty movement. It is.

233 Reviews

Reviews: 233
Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:09 am
Pippiedooda says...

Hi! :D I'm going to have to be kind of picky here as from reading through I can't see anything that jumps to mind, this is very well written and I thought you described the fight scene brilliantly :)

I could hear war cries of the Mixtecs as they entered the city from their boats.

I'd maybe add 'the' before 'war cries' here and I'd maybe say something a bit more descriptive than 'entered', like 'flooded into' or 'charged into' or anything like that as entered doesn't really show much of the scene.

As soon as I got to the flat roof I saw the army advancing into the city.

You could possibly say more about what this looks like- a metaphor, simile or just description would go nicely here to paint a good image for the reader :)

My quiver and bow I left on the roof, knowing I would return.

It could just be me but this sentence almost sounded unfinished when I read it, it might be better to add something onto the end of return like 'to them', 'to my post' or just 'soon'.

A flame in my stomach urged me on.

Instead of 'a flame', 'the fire' might be a better description of his feelings.

The body was that of Tenoch, the man who had taught me to string a bow. Who had taught him to string a bow.

The emphasis on him does help but I still had to read this twice to understand who 'him' was referring to. I'm not sure if it might be clearer to refer to him a bit more directly, for instance saying something like 'the one I sought' or 'the traitor I sought' or something along those lines. I can see it's a bit more awkward to say though so it's up to you :)

my shield would certainly stop his arrow for piercing my flesh.

'for' I think would be better as 'from' here.

My lip curled at the mention we had once been tied by blood.

He is still calling him brother and as they do still share the same blood, I'm not that keen on saying about them once being tied by it. I think you could rephrase this a bit, perhaps saying something about his lip curling at the reminding that they shared the same blood or that the same blood ran through their veins or anything like that.

I spat, still unable to get the taste off my tongue.

What taste? It might be more effective here to actually describe it, for example something on the bitter taste of disgust or whatever emotion he feels.

Was he somebody else now? It didn’t matter. He was only one person to me now.

I'd maybe leave out the 'now' at the end of the last sentence as you used it quite recently.

“Cold like a lizard’s,” he said, finishing my sentence.

I thought he had already finished his sentence so this sounded a bit odd to me. I'd either have him getting halfway through his sentence like 'cold-' and then being interrupted or maybe change this bit to say he corrected or elaborated upon what has already been said.

The uneven puffs of air Luc took told me he was in a similar condition.

I think you need something like 'from' or 'coming from' before 'Luc' here.

It was then I saw it.

I'd maybe add 'that' before 'I saw it'.

But he had escaped before that sentence had been carried out.

At first this sounded a bit confusing as I didn't know he was talking about the previous sentence, maybe mentioning something about the previous sentence would make it clearer what you are talking about.

Overall: I did really enjoy this piece! I think the ending is perfectly dramatic and the conflict between the two brothers I think you have managed to show really well. There isn't much you can do to this to improve it in my eyes, I can only see a couple of things that could be worked on ;)

I did get quite a good image on the surroundings, but at the beginning and in the crowd I think you could extend a bit more upon what is going on around the MC. Because he is at first in a battle, I'd maybe make the scene a bit more frantic as it does seem quite calm in how he is retaliating. I know he is trained and a good fighter, but something on how he is suffering physically (just sweating and muscles aching or something like that) or just a couple of comments on the sounds and smells of battle would make the scene more realistic. When he is in the crowd at the fight, maybe some more on how it feels to be crammed in against everyone or seeing the sea of expectant and bloodthirsty eyes of the crowd focused on the fight to come would show a clearer image. I would think this sort of place would be hot and tightly packed and I didn't get much of a sense of that.

I do think that what happened is kept quite vague in a way that works, although just a couple more hints would help in clarifying what you have skimmed across. I like how you have kept it mysterious but a touch more wouldn't hurt. I don't think you need to extend much upon the characters or their appearance as it's not really relevant except for perhaps adding more to when Luc is taken out into the fight as this could be quite effective in getting across what condition he is in and his emotions. I liked what you said about his expression being either one of fear or hatred, but I'd maybe add to this to show more on his stance and movements. But other than revealing a little more, I don't think much more adjustments need to be made :)

Like I said, I did enjoy this piece and thought it was brilliantly written! All the comments I have made are just suggestions, hope I've helped! :D *star*
"Your mother is a hamster and your father smells of elderberries"
-Monty Python and The Holy Grail

1272 Reviews

Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:36 pm
Rosendorn says...

Thanks all!

I'll work on the things mentioned. I wrote this in a burst of creativity and worked on it non-stop for a few days, so I want to let the story sit a while before I attempt any edits. ^_^

More feedback is always welcome, though. I'm just not sure when I'll get to working on this again (I do like it, so I'm going to go back)

Thanks again!

~Rosey

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Reviews: 24
Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:52 am
Palip says...

Hey there Rosey! I hope you don't mind an inexperienced user of YWS to comment on your story, but I had to review cause so far, this is one of the best stories I have read on this site. Since most suggestions have already been made, I can't find anything to comment upon. Please keep writing, and if you decide to publish a book, please let me know. I'll buy it straight away. A good point to mention is that you kept me fixed to my computer throughout the whole story; it was very intriguing. Well done!

522 Reviews

Reviews: 522
Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:26 am
canislupis says...

Hi there!

I liked this piece--enough conflict so it wasn't boring, and also the potential for emotional impact. I'm having a hard time putting to words my biggest problem was, so I'm going to edit the first couple paragraphs:

I ran up the steps, pulling an arrow from my quiver as I went. I could hear war cries of the Mixtecs as they entered the city from their boats. They were bent on taking this place. My task was to prevent them from going any farther than they already had.

As soon as I got to the flat roof I saw the army advancing into the city. A flicker of movement on the roofs around me was followed by men’s shouts and the sounds of bodies falling. They landed with wet thuds in water or blood-soaked earth. Soon the streets would be filled with slain men. Our island capital had been designed that way. No walls and a warren of twisting alley-ways made it easy for our army to pick off approaching solders. I put an arrow to the string and let it fly. My target landed heavily; the first pool of blood this far into the city.

Arrow after arrow flew from my bow. Most of them hit their targets with satisfying results. If they did not fall from my strike, they fell from another’s shortly after. As my quiver ran empty, I reached for the other arrows stashed beside me.

An arrow thumped into the roof deck. I spun, arrow to the string, but whoever had wanted to ambush me was already gone. A pool of blood told me what had happened to the guard stationed there. Somebody had managed to get around all defences to kill him.

Anger heated my body. Only a native to this city, this army, would know how to get close to an archer. And I had a feeling I knew who it was. I checked to make sure my club with its obsidian chips was in my hand before running to the stairs. My quiver and bow I left on the roof, knowing I would return.

{Please keep in mind these are just examples... I did it the way I would write it, and obviously it's your story. I don't expect you to actually edit accordingly. My comments are in brackets.}

I ran up the steps, pulling an arrow from my quiver as I went. The war cries of the Mixtecs as they entered the city from their boats echoed throughout XXX. I pushed my legs harder, lungs burning. They couldn't get any farther than they already had.

I reached the top of the flat roof, panting slightly as I looked over the XXX before me. A flicker of movement on the roofs around me was followed by men’s shouts and the sounds of bodies falling [from where? More description]. They landed with wet thuds in water and blood-soaked earth. Soon the streets would be filled with slain men. Our island capital had been designed that way. No walls and a warren of twisting alley-ways made it easy for our army to pick off approaching solders. I put an arrow to the string and let it fly. My target landed heavily; the first pool of blood this far into the city.

Arrow after arrow flew from my bow [insert description]. Most of them hit their targets with satisfying results. If they did not fall from my strike, they fell from another’s shortly after. As my quiver ran empty, I reached for the other arrows stashed beside me.[Huh? You didn't mention them before...]

An arrow thumped into the roof deck beside me, splintering the wood[metal? I'm not familiar with your world]. I spun, arrow on the string, but whoever had wanted to ambush me was already gone. A pool of blood told me what had happened to the guard stationed there. But how had his attacker managed to get around all the defenses?

A sudden anger heated my body, and I felt my hands clench on the XXX. Only a native to this city, someone in this army, would know how to get close to an archer. And I had a feeling I knew who it was. I checked to make sure my club with its obsidian chips was in my hand before running to the stairs. My quiver and bow I left on the roof, knowing I would return. [you don't have much explanation for this action. It seems rather a foolish one. After all, if he's going to be in danger, won't he need them? Maybe he wants to be able to move quickly, but he's carrying a club...]

Ok.... I know these examples aren't the best, but do you get my point? I think the whole thing could have more impact if you made it a little more showy (as in show vs. tell--I know, I know, you've already heard that a lot :)) and got rid of the passive kind of voice.

So... I hope this helps a little. I liked most of the plot, but I think when you edit it the actual language could use a little going-over?

See you around,

Lupis

1272 Reviews

Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:16 am
Rosendorn says...

Thanks a lot!

Ohh, I see what you mean. It's actually a bad habit of mine to use passive voice in first person. I'm just never sure how to fix it because I usually like the way things are worded in passive voice.

As for those little additions, I'll take them into consideration. ^_^

~Rosey

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:57 am
octocoffee says...

Hey Rosey! I’m here and ready to review.

I ran up the steps, pulling an arrow from my quiver as I went.

What an exciting introduction! It’s excellent, grabbing my attention from the get go. However – and this only personal preference – I think ‘ran’ should be replaced with a different word. Since this is [s]Sparta[/s] war, I feel like there needs to be a stronger sense of urgency. I adore how you’ve written this initial battle scene; everything is realistic and described well. But the scene lacks the ‘I’m in a war I might die defending my city they’re coming in closer!’ anxiousness.

This is easily corrected, of course. I think just adding small hints, like sweat trickling down his forehead as he misses a target or scrambling to pick up a dropped arrow, might help a little. Of course, he’s a skilled warrior so that shouldn’t happen often. But when it does, the event becomes even more serious and important. It doesn’t even have to be his mistake actually. Maybe he becomes annoyed as another man falls, and begins to pick up speed in killing. It just depends on how you want to characterize him.

No walls and a warren of twisting alley-ways made it easy for our army to pick off approaching solders.

‘Alley-ways’ could be spelled as ‘alleyways’.

My target landed heavily; the first pool of blood this far into the city…A pool of blood told me what had happened to the guard stationed there.

I know these two sentences are a few paragraphs apart, but I still don’t like the repetition. Could you rephrase one of these?

I don’t know, I just don’t like ‘Anger heated my body’. I’m not quite sure why though, so don’t think too much of that. Also, is it really a good idea to leave the weapons there alone? I think that, as a soldier, he should be overcautious, someone who totally believes in the whole cliché of “expecting the unexpected”. Should the enemy actually manage to breach the defense, they would have his weapons, leaving him at risk. Perhaps he should leave it with a comrade, or just hide it somewhere? Although the chance of the enemy taking his weapon is still there, at least the likelihood is decreased. Of course, he could always take them with him, just in case.

Another pool of blood let me know I was close.

I just wanted to point out another instance of the phrase ‘pool of blood’.

“Rape and murder,” I spat, still unable to get the taste off my tongue. “And now you’ve murdered twice more. I had once said your blood ran cold, Luc.”

Maybe Luc should point out the hypocrisy here, considering Chantico just felled a good number of men from the rooftop.

It was then I saw it. The tension in his club-arm. The slight twist to his smiling lips. The strain on his neck as he began to push himself up.

I think a colon and commas would work just as well as the series of periods. With the periods here, it does feel a little halting and choppy.

it shouldn’t take long to heal.

I’m not sure why, but ‘shouldn’t’ gives me the impression that this suddenly switched to present tense. Could you use ‘wouldn’t’ instead?

I swallowed at the thought he would be imprisoned for sacrifice. I knew he would have been as soon as I saw the blood on his hands. But he had escaped before that sentence had been carried out. Only this time, there was no escape.

The first sentence seems like a run-on, or I am just reading it funny. The latter seems pretty likely, but it might be good to take a look at that. I don’t like the repetition of ‘escape’ so close together, but that’s a very minor detail.

Most of the Mixtec soldiers left dead in the streets or captured.

While most of the fragments used in the piece are excellently placed, I’m not sure about this one. This one seems like it would work better with a verb in there.

I couldn’t be the one chosen to kill Luc.

Chantico couldn’t or wouldn’t be the one? I’m just curious, because wouldn’t would say that there’s absolutely no chance he would be picked while couldn’t would say that even if he was picked, he would not kill his brother.

“Goodbye, Brother,” I mouthed before turning away from the fight

This is just an itty-bitty typo, but a period should be placed after ‘fight’. I’m sure it was just cut off, but the lack of an end made me antsy. I’m kind of odd like that.
So, I thought that this piece was great! I absolutely loved the plot, the setting, everything. I had more questions and suggestions than I did corrections (Wow! Look at all those rhymes!), which is always a great thing.

Chantico had a very solid and mature voice, although he was a bit emotionally detached at points. Like others have mentioned, a little more insight into his emotions and little tics might help the reader truly connect with him. But I related to him well enough already, so there’s not too much work to do on that. I really enjoyed calculating and manipulative Luc; I tend to adore such characters. The final scene revealed a lot about the both of them, and I thought that section was especially superb.

The story had smatterings of passive tense, but I’m sure that will be taken care of, so I don’t have much else to say.

I also echo the issue of the vagueness. ‘That night’ should be discussed a tad more, because the reader needs a clearer picture to understand and relate to the piece. For example, I’m not sure why Luc wouldn’t just help the Mixtecs by feeding them information and proceed to stay outside the city, away from harm. That way, he would get his revenge on the city that convicted him while staying out of harm’s way. I feel like if you explained ‘that night’ a little, we would understand his intentions inside the city better.

I only have one more suggestion. Since the title is ‘Blood’, perhaps there should be more of an emphasis on it. Actually, I think you did emphasize it. Perhaps you could make it more apparent though? I think that just mentioning ‘pools of blood’ and ‘blood on his hands’ might not be enough. Chantico was involved the events of ‘that night’, and I have a feeling that blood really bothers him. It would be nice to describe the blood somewhere in the story, from its metallic smell to its rich color. Maybe he turns away from the final battle because he cannot stand seeing red on his brother again. I’m not sure. That was just a random suggestion.

Well, that was quite long, and I hope that it was all coherent. I hope I helped a little. Thank you for reading all of this!

Best of luck,
octo
...if you are going to step on a live mine, make it your own. Be blown up, as it were, by your own delights and despairs. ~ Ray Bradbury
I Review Everything!

Nothing says criminal activity like strong bones. ;)
— Magebird