Young Writers Society

Güte

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:21 pm
Kylan says...

i.

He carries her in his arms as he runs.
The bombs drop from the sky like overripe fruit and the city shrugs and sighs and the buildings kneel down like altarboys and the air is filled with cinder and bodiless cries. The old man runs. He runs and wheezes and the little girl in his arms buries her head against his chest. Old flatfoot with the heart murmur and the arthritis in his shoulders. He can feel her breathe. It is an unsteady, reluctant sound. She does not cry. Her breath warms his chest. Her hair smells of lavender and a kitchen. Thin, pale in his arms – some washed up curiosity. Ghostling, hair netting a halo of sheltered light from the fresh bombs and the slinky streetlights. The buildings alongside the gray road look in on them, like a mother looks in on a slumbering baby.
He does not know her name.
He has never seen her before.
He picked her up at the fountains, after the bombs had started. Motherless, narrow face and scared eyes. She let him scoop her up. By the fountains and their pursed spitting by the naked statue boy with his stony curls and minnow lips who looked on as they ran, ran, ran.
Run, old man.
He does not know where they are going. Some shelter, bunker. He doesn't even know if these exist or where to look for them. He glances in doorways and down alleys that hunch and shrug secretive ghastly vaticans. The air grows thick with smoke and cinder and the city burns screaming. He has lost his hat. White, thinning hair sprayed in the air and the nameless girl in his arms and his lungs caving in on themselves like paper kites.
The cinder is hot.
The heavy, belly-up clouds on the horizon throb with sporadic light. He knows that he cannot keep running. It is hard for him to breathe. It is hard for him to breathe so he listens to the little girl breathing against his suitjacket and he knows that they will be fine.
Hush, he tells her.
Hush.

ii.

He smokes his cigarette and watches the horizon. He can see Dresden from his apartment balcony, lit up and twitching, like some kind of perishing firefly. The clouds are purple cushions. The moon rests upon them like a pale, ugly queen. Darkness squirms over the hills, breeding. Dresden pops and sputters. The bombers are anonymous farmers, sowing black seeds, and there is much screaming, yelling in the streets below. And breaking glass. Colicky motors.
He exhales smoke.
He turns away.
His apartment is a yellow, peeling room. Sorry, fitful lightbulbs, twitching like dreamless children. The cramped appliances, a squatting loveseat, floor creaking and squeaking. The floorboards are long, tired tongues and naked wires are stapled along the ceiling like suture marks.
He goes to the kitchen, turns on the radio. They are talking about Dresden. He changes the channel. This one is also talking about Dresden. He turns off the radio and finds a bottle of wine in silence and he can hear the city grumbling quietly in the background. The wine is red and loping. He pours it into a wineglass and takes the glass back onto the balcony.
As he sips the wine, he thinks about the men in the airplanes, dropping their bombs like mutes, and his brother living in Dresden and he wonders whether any of the men in the airplanes have older brothers in nextdoor cities and he smokes his cigarette and counts each bomb as it falls.

iii.

They wait in the cellar. There is no light. The cellar smells of splotchy mildew and old glass and rat droppings. The dark is cold and blue as a dead baby and the ground trembles, the supports murmur and mumble like priests reciting old prayers. She holds her belly. Her mother and her husband are somewhere in the dark. They whisper. The sound of their whispers rustle and bask, reptilian on her skin. It sounds outside like it did three years ago. Ceaseless pounding on the streetside and the cries and the cheers and the nazis with their big, black boots and their righteous rigidity. Thumping, trouping. Words in the air like a heartburn. Now the bombs march through the streets and there is a heartburn in the city center and the people cry for their children, where are my children?
She shivers. The dark mends her in like a sarcophagus. And she holds her stomach, she thinks about her baby and she wonders if they'll die. She is fairly sure their house is burning. All the lovely chinasets and the woven rugs and the fancy, woodpolished chairs. The cellar is not a bunker or a shelter. The supports are disjointed, quiet in their struggle. They uphold the ceiling and their backs bend and they have cold, enslaved faces in the marshy dark.
There are many pangs, contractions within the hour. Set close, like sweethearts. They wrap around her middle, her chest, her head and they squeeze. Uncontrolled. Nauseating. She sweats and closes her eyes and bites the inside of her mouth. The air is dusty with plaster which makes a paste on her face with the sweat and the silent, calculated tears. She cannot think about much anymore, but to stem the pain. She calls for her husband and he gropes his way over to her. He holds her hand, whispers to her. The pangs are bright and exquisite. The humping trills and thumps outside, above them. The moaning supports. Her mother in the corner exhaling small, complex prayers.
It's coming, she says to her husband whose spectacled face hovers obscure and eclipsed in front of her like a frail lunar body.
Lord in heaven, she says, it's coming.
Last edited by Kylan on Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:28 am
Hannah says...

=] Told you I'd be here after my ice cream. It was pretty good ice cream. Brownie batter blizzard from Dairy Queen, because I know you wanted to know. Anyways... xD

I. Little Things

He can feel her breathe. It is unsteady, reluctant.

I don't know if you're aware of this, because it might just be a typo. OR you might be using inconsistency on purpose. In any case, I think you may have meant 'breath' instead of 'breathe'. If you mean 'breathe', you have to rephrase the other sentence, because now it sounds like it's referring to a noun, which would be 'breath'. Also, you misspelled 'altarboys' a few sentences earlier.

Her breath warms his chest, his heart. Her hair smells of lavender and a kitchen.

Firstly, I think you need a gentler transition between physical and emotional effects. Warming his chest I can take at face value, but I need a bit of an explanation as how it also warms his heart. Just a tiny phrase describing vaguely why it does, or something like that. Also, whose kitchen? I think you can afford to make that phrase more personal.

He does not know her name.

He has never seen her before.

The old man picked her up at the fountains, after the bombs had started.

I would definitely recommend saying 'he' again instead of 'the old man', because it seems more natural to just go along with the preceding sentences. Otherwise, 'the old man' just breaks up the flow.

He glances in doorways and down alleys that hunch and shrug, secretive as ghastly vaticans.

I think this might work better as 'hunch and shrug: secretive ghastly vaticans'. Or a comma instead of a colon. But the 'as' is just extra fluff here. Sometimes I get that feeling when you put in a simile -- that it should be a metaphor instead. <_<; I don't know where it comes from, but it's here now. xD

The heavy, belly-up clouds on the horizon throb with sporadic light like fetuses.

And I don't quite get this image. How are the clouds like fetuses? Belly up would work, I suppose, but you've stuck 'throb with sporadic light' in between the object and the simile, which makes it SUPER confusing. Maybe 'The heavy clouds on the horizon throb with sporadic light, belly up like fetuses'?

The bombers are anonymous farmers, sowing black seeds, and there is much screaming, yelling in the streets below.

'There is much' is just such an awkward phrase. xD I don't know, maybe it doesn't seem like it to you, but it's stiff and awkward to me. Rework?

His apartment is a yellow, peeling room.

=] Yellow.

They are talking about Dresden. He changes the channel. It is also talking about Dresden.

Eck. Here's a weird part again. If he changes the channel, that means he changes the old channel, but then you say 'it', as if you're referring to the new channel. But you were referring to the old channel. <_<; So you need to say something like 'The new channel' or 'The other channel' or something to start that third sentence.

As he sips the wine, he thinks about the men in the airplanes, dropping their bombs like mutes,

... Are the bombs like mutes or are the men in the airplanes mutes? Also, I can't imagine that bombs would be very mute. He can hear the bombs. I guess I just don't get this simile. >_<

The dark mends her in like a sarcophagus.

Did you mean 'hems her in'? I think that's the phrase.

This is beautiful. A beautiful, ambiguous ending, whether you intended it to be or not. The baby is coming, but so is the attack, the bombs, maybe the collapse of the house. The end of ... yeah. It could mean so many things. Fantastic choice.

II. Big Things

--- Parallel descriptions;

Motherless, narrow face and scared eyes.

There were a few points where you had problems like this. In this specific example, you have a status-description, but the others are physical descriptions and it doesn't really fit well in a sentence together. I guess, at least to me, it just seems to lack the grace of your usual, flowing description-y fragments.

--- Repetition;

And the ashes, ashes falling like insects sprayed with pesticides.

Also, I know you did this several times throughout the piece, where you repeat a short phrase or word right after you'd just said it, with nothing in between. At some points, it works, especially in the first section's 'run, run, run'. But there are other places, like in this example, where it seems almost frivolous. I don't think you need to repeat here unless you're dead set on it. Look at the other points of repetition and double check to make sure you need/want them there or if you were just tossing them in for a little boost of drama.

I'm glad that the second section is the shortest, frankly. It's interesting in essence. Like, the thought of having the people outside of the action looking in is a good thought and stands to evoke emotion even on its own, so the description of this man really does nothing for me. I don't really care about him or care to hear about him that much, but the idea that he's there, looking on calmly, is nice. So, I can't quite decide if that section is completely unnecessary or if I'm just being silly.

The other two sections, though, are exquisite. The marriage of old and young, of death and birth, of fear and hope -- you know your stuff.

PM me if you have any questions.

-Hannah-
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:40 pm
Angel of Death says...

Hey Ky,

It's seems like it's been a REALLY long time, since I've read anything of yours. I did not read anything that Hannah said, so I apologize if I repeat anything.

Her hair smells of lavender and a kitchen.

Usually I like your metaphors and similes, but you cut me short here. I can understand her hair smelling like lavender, but a kitchen? When I think of kitchen, I think of the ruddiness, from dishes after dinner, the smoke from meals gone bad, toxic detergent and Clorox...yeah, so I don't think kitchen is the right thing to compare hair to.

Motherless, narrow face and scared eyes.

I wasn't going to let this sentence bother me but, these don't seem to fit together. The way that you described her face and her eyes, makes it seem like her physical features are more important than her being motherless. If you want to make the point that she is motherless, elaborate on that. Make it more than a word tacked on to a few descriptions. Make it seem important.
By the fountains and their pursed spitting by the naked statue boy with his stony curls and minnow lips who looked on as they ran, ran, ran.

I didn't like this sentence, either. For one, it seemed too long and we already know that he picked her up the fountains. Plus, it seems like an overweight fragment. What I'd suggest, is cutting away what you don't need and keep the rest.

It is hard for him to breathe. It is hard for him to breathe so he listens to the little girl breathing against his suitjacket and he knows that they will be fine.

I've noticed that you are fond of repetition, but don't overdo it Ky.
Hush, he tells her.
Hush.

It works here because it's only one word, and is less tedious than a mouthful of words. I love the way you ended this vignette.

He smokes his cigarette and watches the horizon. He can see Dresden from his apartment balcony, lit up and twitching, like some kind of perishing firefly.

Lovely sentence.

And I also liked this:

It's coming, she says to her husband whose spectacled face hovers obscure and eclipsed in front of her like a frail lunar body.

Okay, verdict. I really loved this, as always. Though I felt the the second vignette was written the best. It wasn't shaky like the first and it seemed stronger than all the rest, but that's my opinion. Your beginnings and ends are beautiful and they do their job. I've never liked reading vignettes, because I like to read a lot and I feel some vignettes, cut you short, but you did a good job explaining things in such short scenes.

Also, I've noticed that your recent stories seem to feature pregnant women. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just curious as to why?

Keep writing,

~Angel

*gold star*
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:35 am
Aina says...

Okay. I do not want to repeat what everyone else said.

You have got a lot of good material to get started. All three parts have brilliant beginnings and endings. I do not know how long the total story is supposed to be but watch out that you don't switch around perspectives too much.
To introduce all three threads switching around in short succession is fine. After this you should stick with one for some time, let the reader get to know the people better. Otherwise you can't find your way into the story so well.

I think your title matches the first part perfectly. At first I thought this was going to be about how bad the Nazis are and was annoyed. Seriously you get sick of it at some point. But apparently it is not. I hope it will not change into that kind of story.

I think that is all there is to say. Keep going. I would like to see what happens next.
"Do you choose the path you walk upon or does it choose you?" - Abhorsen by Garth Nix

(freely translated form the language I read it in)

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:31 pm
StellaThomas says...

Hey Kylan!

I'll be honest, I don't think I've ever critiqued anything of yours (maybe I have. I can't remember). I've read it sure, but I've always backed down from critiqueing because you're so ridiculously good and I can't find anything bad. Plus, your avatar makes me scared of you :P.

So for some strange reason, I've been taken over by demons or something I guess, today, I have decided, I am going to critique you.

Here goes!

I. NITPICKS

He can feel her breathe.

This seemed slightly weird to me, maybe breathing might be a more appropriate word?

The buildings alongside the gray road look in on them,

Alongside seems a bit over the top to me. Maybe just "along"?

and the nazis

I'm not sure, but shouldn't Nazi be capitalized?

Hang on: why are the Nazis there? I don't know much about Dresden, but... it's in Germany, isn't it? Shouldn't the Nazis be protecting them? Or does she just hate them anyway?

(Ignore my ignorance.)

The dark mends her in like a sarcophagus.

mends her in?

Okay...

II. FRAGMENTS

You use a lot of fragments in here, pieces of sentences scrambled together for description. While it has a nice effect, especially in the first part where it gives the impression he's out of breath. My advice would be not to overuse them, because they began to irritate me a little, I was sitting there going "Where's the verb?"

So keep some of them, most of them in fact, they're a nice touch. But some of them are a bit... annoying.

III. OVERALL

Very little I could pick at, good job!

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

Random avatar

Reviews: 14
Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:25 pm
Gabe.L says...

This is quite entertaining to read, and I love the almost cinematic formate that you used for writing this story. For the most part it is very well written and you do a solid job setting the mood with your language use and imagery. However, at times you did get carried away with the adjectives, sometimes to an extent where it didn't sound quite right. You don't need an overload of description, leave some things to the readers imagination!

The bombs drop from the sky like overripe fruit and the city shrugs and sighs and the buildings kneel down like altarboys and the air is filled with cinder and bodiless cries.
-This is trying too hard, there are too many descriptive words.

I really did enjoy this piece, it was fun to read and felt very cinematic. This was a very good read!

Great work!

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:05 pm
Matt3187 says...

Hey,

I really liked your piece.
Personally i prefered the first segment as it had more action, though i did also enjoy the exceptional narrative of the further sections.

However just a couple of things i noticed

Some shelter, bunker

I dont think this makes sense and feel that it dents the streamlined feel or the narrative. If i would you i would change it to somehting like the following

A shelter, a bunker, anywhere safe

Also i did notice the repeat of the word twitching twice in pretty close proximity

lit up and twitching,

Then about 8 or so lines latter

Sorry, fitful lightbulbs, twitching like dreamless children

I would perhaps change the second twitching to blinking

Sorry, fitful lightbulbs, blinking like dreamless children

They were only a couple of thing i would change. Other than that it was a good piece of work

Keep it up :D

Courage, my soul! Now learn to wield the weight of thine immortal shield...
— Andrew Marvell