z

Young Writers Society

A Portrait of the Artist as a Dying Caesar

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:21 am
Antigone Cadmus says...

For a contest-
Topic: Write about the last days of a figure in Roman/Greek history or mythology.
My figure of choice? The emperor Nero.
Nota Bene: The people judging this contest will understand all of the historical refrences, so it's okay if you don't.
But you should know that Nero's real name was Domitius, and that he became emperor at the age of 16 (far too young), and that he was pretty much insane.
Also: The piece could only be 1200 words. Mine is currently 1,199. xD So keep that in mind haha.
Nero also considered himself to be quite the artist, and the title is a play on a famous James Joyce novel.

Here it goes.

Whispers can be so loud. I hear them in the hallways, hushed voices bearing news of rebellion in the west with the sounds of clashing iron and battle cries as Roman fights Roman, as we have done now for centuries. They stare not at me when they pass, but through me with cold eyes and resounding hearts that beat the name of Galba.
The whispers continue, rushing into the curia on cold arid words like Aquilo’s breath. Galba fills the anachronistic ears of the Senate with his deeds in Hispania, of his commission by Vindex, whose pathetic revolt Verginius crushed. Verginius is a smart man; when troops declare him emperor he has the sense to decline. He has what any Roman should– fear. A fear of Augustus, exalted one.
Fear of me.
But Galba is not Verginius. Sway the army, be backed by the legions. Strike fear into the plebeians. Give the senate what they want. I can no longer do these. Somehow in the course of my emperorship, the memories of my ancestors escaped me, but now come rushing back.
Their temples may line the forum, their libations may run sweetly from sacred jars, but they rule no longer. We remember them after death, yet lose the moment of the actual end of life. They drift away, memories of poisoned mushrooms and brutal stabbings, floating in and out of our minds. For that is the life of an emperor. You live, you die, you are erected in stone.
Now I realize the princeps is a god of marble, not of flesh. And I cannot last forever.
I declare Galba a public enemy, but the legions care not for Caesar’s words. My own Praetorian Prefect betrays his emperor, his god who has not yet taken his chiseled position among the divine. Nymphidius pledges support to Galba, who is in turn backed by the spears of Caesar’s army.
I must flee, even I admit. But what sort of look is this for a Caesar – cowering in his chambers? I could flee to Parthia, Egypt or… or to Galba’s feet. To go to Galba would be cowardly; I cannot flee like a common criminal. Ought I be unafraid of death? Is it so dreadful then, to die?
Hazy quiet floats about my chamber. The palace seems frozen in time, only I remain, with heartbeats reverberating like the steady rhythm of a barbarian drum.
Cowardice does not become me. I slowly stand, weak and hot and lethargic. The sun spills through the window, a cascade of light, swirling together orange and yellow on the canvas of my floor. It casts a sepia tone on my city, my great-grandfather’s city of marble. The silhouettes of columns and circuses, standing tall like individual Mount Olympuses, are tokens of my reign, yet I see nothing. I see a lifeless city of corrupt politicians and unsatisfied people and lifeless marble statues staring back with lifeless painted eyes. Is this what I am to become? Lifeless? The sculptor appears, smoothes plaster over me, starting at my toes and working up to my eyes. I am suffocating; my diaphragm contracts rapidly like a caged animal in my ribs. I cannot die. I will not die. I will not become a memory in marble. I must flee; I have to flee.
Stumbling from the window, a slight palpitation rocks my chest, scurries up my throat and pries open my lips in a crescendo of nervous laughter. The sculptor gone, but Galba remaining, flight is my only option. Warm redness flushes my face, and the feeling of power fades. I feel more like young, inexperienced Lucius Domitius Ahenobarbus, and less like Caesar.
I grab the stylus from my writing desk and scroll, unroll it lopsidedly. Words drunkenly stumble from my hand, strange musings about becoming Egyptian governor and leaving Galba, of becoming a statue and being another fallen emperor. I gaze at the words. They are ravings, ravings that could only come from… is this the madness they talk of in the streets?
Even if I am mad as Caligula, I want to stay alive; to not meet his fate. I run to the door, calling for guards.
“They’ve left.” comes a small voice from the hall.
“Who is there? Show yourself!” My knees yield to the ground.
I do not know his name. Did I once? “Master,” he says. “The guards deserted.”
The air is thick like water, and the stone words sink. He looks scared, and something in his face morphs and changes. Is he fifteen? Sixteen? He is about to be crowned Caesar, but he is too young. “Domitius!” I shout, before it is too late. “Remain Domitius, do not become Nero!”
Domitius’ lips form words, but they dissipate. “Master, I’m n…I understand.”
“Where is your mother, Domitius? Why do they do this?” I implore.
“Mother? In Greece.”
“Mine is dead, did you know?” I am on my feet now, looking at Domitius. “I killed her.”
Domitius’ eyes fill with disgust and sorrow. “Mast…Domit…Nero?” He seems unsure. “Nero?”
“Yes?”
A shaky breath. “Some slaves remain. They’ll deliver messages to your friends.”
But as quickly as Domitius goes, he returns.
“My friends?”
His head shakes.
“Abandoned me?”
He nods, face suddenly morphing from a Roman prince to…
“Not Domitius?”
He sighs; looks me straight on. “I am whomever you wish me to be, Caesar.”
But he is not Domitius. “Epaphroditos,”
“Yes,”
“You play lyre.”
“Yes,”
“We sing together.”
“Yes. You’re talented, Nero. An artist.”
“I am Nero, then.”
“Yes,”
“We are going to die, then.”
“Yes, I think so.”
“Go with me?”
“Yes, Caesar.”
Few friends remain to me – the ones in my palace are gone, but an invitation from Phaon arrives.
Haze… Epaphroditus accompanies me on horseback. A cloak drapes over me. Spears pierce the fog of my mind. Galba’s army. They hail Caesar, but do not mean me. Nero becomes marble.
Phaon welcomes me as Pluto welcomes the dead. He hides me like a runaway slave, making no attempt to provide hope– he knows Galba already has won.
Seconds become hours until Galba’s messenger arrives. I should hide, but I bound from the fog, seize the message…
Nero is to be killed like Roman ancestors. Nero will be tied to a post and whipped to death.
This does not become him, not Caesar.
Hoof-beats pound outside.
“They come,” announces Phaon, his voice a dirge.
I take a dagger, plunging through the fog into my throat. The fog obliterates, and all is clear. Too clear. I gasp and wheeze wetly.
Epaphroditus looks at me strangely. “Caesar,” he says.
Still his Caesar.
“Caesar, do you know the last words of Augustus?”
The blood is thick, hot. It bubbles into my mouth and I retch. A non-fatal wound.
“Caesar, Augustus said ‘The play is finished. Applaud, I played my role well.’” He begins to applaud, a terrible rhythm deafening my ears. “Caesar, you did not play your role well. But you made for a good show. That’s what an artist is, Caesar. It was a good show.”
I gaze up at him as the dagger comes down. “Omnes exeunt, Domitius.”
“Qualis artifex pereo.”
Applaud, for the tragedy is ended.
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:46 pm
StellaThomas says...

Oh. Well. Hello.

*rubs hands together in glee*

Nero. Hee hee.

I. NITPICKS

as we have done now for centuries.

I figure this is a historical thing that I don't know, but it just sounds odd that they've been at civil war for centuries. Oh, I know they were an unstable bunch. The fact remains it sounds odd, as if he's sad because it's a new thing, but it's been happening since long before he was born. Am I making sense? I thought not.

The whispers continue, rushing into the curia on cold arid words

The whispers rush in on cold arid words? Um...

A fear of Augustus, exalted one.

Again, this is making no sense to me. Isn't Augustus, like, dead? Because this is Nero we're talking about? Again, if I'm just being silly ignore me.

but now come rushing back.

I honestly think this would sound better with a "they" in there. Your 1200th word!

But what sort of look is this for a Caesar

Rephrase.

Ought I be unafraid of death? Is it so dreadful then, to die?

I think "should" would look better than "ought", and I think the "then" is unnecessary. But if the two are linked, the "then" fits, I guess. It just looks weird.

Hazy quiet floats about my chamber.

What happened to the whispers?
on the canvas of my floor.

If you're saving words, the canvas bit really isn't necessary.

lifeless marble statues staring back with lifeless painted eyes.

I know you're about to start the theme of lifelessness, but the second one here is overkill.

I grab the stylus from my writing desk and scroll, unroll it lopsidedly.

Why is the scroll after the writing desk?

Even if I am mad as Caligula,

Heehee. *knows a funny Pratchett joke about Caligula* Ahem. Ignore me.

“They’ve left.” comes a small voice from the hall.

Comma after left, not full stop.

But as quickly as Domitius goes, he returns.
“My friends?”
His head shakes.

I didn't understand this at all. Did he send a message? Is it his imagination? Who is the boy he thinks is him?

“Yes,”

Full stop, not comma.

A non-fatal wound.

Yes, but really, if you've just stabbed yourself, are you going to be thinking clearly enough to realise this?

That’s what an artist is, Caesar. It was a good show.”

is for would make more sense.

II. FOG

In some ways, your approach here works fantastically, because Nero's own confusion strikes us because we're not entirely sure about what's happening. In some places, this is brilliant, and it definitely does its job. However, at the same time, I'm feeling like you're playing it a little too much. Nero's random musings on death, seeing the sculptor come and plaster him... they're not leading us anywhere, and while I know these are the last ramblings of a dying lunatic, you spend so long on these and so little time on the fact that Phaon, whoever he is, comes to rescue him and on his death that I'm wondering if they're worth it.

Firstly, I wouldn't get rid of any of the musings as such, but I would intersperse them. Your first few paragraphs are all context- basically, yawn. Your second lot are all ramblings of Nero. Then the action all happens far too quickly. Why doesn't he do all his thinking, his putting things in context, while he's on the horse, on waiting in Phaon's cellar or wherever he is? So that it's not so out of balance.

III. OVERALL

I quite like this. It's artful, and I guess that's the point. Of course, I would like to see some more crazy-madness, but I understand that it's difficult to portray the madness of a protagonist. In short, nice job :)

Hope I helped, and drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella x
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

365 Reviews

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:42 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

Oooh, thanky Stells.

1. I think I know the Terry Pratchett joke you're talking about! (: Me loves teh Pratchett.

2. Augustus was also a general term for emperor, like Caesar.

3. Yeah, I agree about the fog bit... I think there are parts where I should add it in and parts where I should take it away.

4. Eeeeee, I'm quite happy with a lot of your suggestions, as I had a couple of them originally exactly as you suggest. I'm a bit of an over-editor of my own work.

Thanks again.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:57 pm
bookgeek says...

Yo, i am not quite a fan of history but i like your story. if history's gonna be taught this way at school, i might stand a chance winning the quiz bee (LOL), like you presented that bit of history with theatricality and i found it quite amusing.

I would not comment on your style as it is quite excellent as i think it is and I do not know my history as i am always cutting that class (LOL). For your age, I find this astounding. You guys here are really something.

Anyways, as reader though, my comment would be: too much use of "character's evpcation of thoguhts" is a little "yawning" (how do i term it?) O well, i think it's much of being a guy, i like reading shorter plot-led story (blame it to the hormones), more actions than evocation of emotions and thoughts, i mean like the ending part where the teen get to kill the narrator man... that was awesome and i liked it.

i think this comment is more gibberish than contributory but might as well say it.

i would like to find some of your work that is plot-led and i bet it is as good as this one!
At least now you can retrieve the black box from the twisted smoldering wreckage that was once your fantasy of dating her and analyze the data so that you don't crash into geek mountain again.

-Sheldon Cooper

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:32 pm
JSPike says...

Well done! I love historical fiction, especially Roman, and I hope you win that competition! :D

You seem to have researched this brilliantly, and that really shows.

Your writing seems at times rushed though. I know Nero was mad and all that, but there are much more subtle ways of showing that, not all through his speech, it seems to me a bit clunky in places.

The ending was fantastic. Very powerful. I'm not sure about the Latin, I have no idea what that was about, I guess we'll assume the judges are fluent! :wink:

When Nero plunged the dagger though it all seemed to happen to fast, and with no thought to it. He's the narrator, and towards the end it didn't feel like that. Although, I suppose that's reflective of the fact that he was losing control. Which in that case makes it genius! If you were going for that, then maybe you could make the change slightly more gradual? Events seemed to become a blur as the story progressed.

Anyway, I thought this was fantastic! I know it's hard, like has been said, to portray the madness of the your own narrator, but you did a great job!

Keep it up,
JSPike
Recognizing and rewarding writing talent: RW Competitions

Request reviews here: Requests

" All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing "
-- Edmund Burke

365 Reviews

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:36 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

Oh, haha. Forgot to check back here!
But thanks so much; I'm really glad you liked it.

Oh, and the Latin? Whoops, should have explained that...
"Omnes exeunt" means all exit. It's often written at the end of a play.
"Qualis artifex pereo" means "what an artist dies in me". They are said to be Nero's final words. Nero considered himself quite the artistic talent.

Thanks again everyone!
-Catullus, Carmen 85

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:09 am
Actawesome says...

Hello Antigone! How are you? Good? Okay, enough formalities, time to review:

I hear them in the hallways, hushed voices bearing news of rebellion in the west with the sounds of clashing iron and battle cries as Roman fights Roman, as we have done now for centuries.

I liked your first sentence, but this one, the second one has way too much going for it. Maybe split it up a bit: take out the and between iron and battle. Anyhoo, a little tidbit of what the story is like in this sentence.
The whispers continue, rushing into the curia on cold arid words like Aquilo’s breath. Galba fills the anachronistic ears of the Senate with his deeds in Hispania, of his commission by Vindex, whose pathetic revolt Verginius crushed.

It's probably, no definitely because I don't understand the historical references, but I got a little lost here.In these two sentences you manage to introduce 4 characters, something that I personally prefer to do one at a time in my stories. It just gets a little confusing! :)
A fear of Augustus, exalted one.

Fear of me.

I like this a lot my friend! A wonderful way to show who your protagonist is.
They drift away, memories of poisoned mushrooms and brutal stabbings, floating in and out of our minds. For that is the life of an emperor. You live, you die, you are erected in stone.

I adore this imagery! It gives great life to the piece and insight to the time period.
I cannot die. I will not die. I will not become a memory in marble. I must flee; I have to flee.

Also quite good!
Overall: I'm not sure if I approve of the sea of dialogue seen in the end of the piece. It's a complete change of narrative. But I like Nero, I like the thoughts, and it is very elegantly written, for the large majority. Keep going! :)

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:50 pm
AliceRose says...

I liked it for three reasons:

1.) It was relatively historically accurate. I've been taking Latin the last two years and we went through a big section about Nero. I think you should've added in that Nero's mother made him the way he was.

2.) I liked how you were able to put the insanity issue in. I had to read it a couple of times because it was hard to follow. If I was to enter an insane man's mind, it probably would've been close to that. It was confusing yet captivating.

3.) You described the emotions well. You also threw in some nice analogies.

Your writing is very well done. If you do this well with and insane person, I'd like to see how you would do with a sane one.
We're all a bit mad...

365 Reviews

Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:25 am
Antigone Cadmus says...

Thanks a ton Adam! Now to find your Romance piece...

Thanks Alice! I love Alice in Wonderland. ;) And haha, Nero's mother did not make him the way he was. In fact, she was opposed to teaching Nero philosophy when she realised he was mad. Of course, she didn't really help either. Gotta love the Julio Claudians. I've been taking Latin a bit longer than you haha. It's kind of my passion. :D
-Catullus, Carmen 85

I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.
— Romans 9:25