z

Young Writers Society

In Retrospect: Evil Knows No Limit

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:15 pm
JSPike says...

[I've rated this 16+ just in case]

I wrote this for History h/w. Feel free to rip it to shreds, especially as I haven't given it in yet.

---

Evil knows no limit. They will stop at nothing to cling on to their sacred power; what little it matters now, who would want to cling on to a shattered country? What kind of power is that?

They came for us with a backdrop of red and white. With a soft step and a heavy boot: the cowards way. Before even the neighbourhood had seen the first light their muffled steps thudded on our stairs. Black suits, white shirts and red papers filled the family room. Pack our bags we were instructed, in harsh guttural voices but in hushed tones.
My father was told to sign that dreaded red form. He refused. So they beat him. They hit him and they hit him, until in the end, as he was insensible, they grabbed his hand and scrawled a signature on the form. That red form now splattered with red blood – in so many ways. In one fell swoop they had efficiently and stealthily executed our lives as we knew them. We were on a dark and shuttered train carriage within the hour. I was six at the time.

Thus we were whisked away into the darkness. My mother was sitting in the corner of the dirty and empty carriage, tears stained her face. She was cradling my father who had lost consciousness from a particularly nasty blow to the head an office dealt him out of spite, for giving them trouble. I peaked out of a gap in the boarded window, splinters of dawn touching my face like a tender mother. I watched the town landscape transform into countryside as my home raced away behind us. I gazed out at the gloomy and barren fields as the Sun was starting to rise; rise as it so often did: hopeless and unable to help, as its radiant beams failed to penetrate the blanket of oppression that had befallen Nazi Germany.

The country landscape became bleaker and more foreboding as the Sun rose higher into the grey sky. Fields quickly turned into muddy bogs and wooden fences soon merged into mesh and barbed wire. Every so often a uniformed man would flash before my eyes. They didn’t pay any attention to our carriage. Just stood there, armed, and often idly smoking a cigarette.

Eventually the train started to slow, and a great iron fortress appeared before me. I stared at the gate, under the fierce gaze of the Eagle. I read the sign underneath. ‘Konzentrationslager Dachau’ it read. I didn’t know at the time what Hell I was about to embark into, but my father had crawled up behind me, and peaked out the crack. He made a little gag in his throat and murmured a prayer. My memory fails me somewhat, but I think it went something like: “Dear God, make me dumb,/ that I may not to Dachau come.”
The door to the train was opened and we were dragged out of the train. Swiftly pulled away by the scruff of our necks, that iron gate disappeared as we were pushed in a different direction; though I still felt very much, that I was still under that gaze of the all seeing Reich Eagle.

Passing guards with their dogs, we trudged trough the mud under that gloomy sky. My father dejectedly dragging his feet, accepting whatever fate may become him; my mother, weeping silently still and looking desperately at my father’s back; me, my feet hardly touching the ground as a guard roughly pulled me along by the scruff of my shirt. I looked about me curiously and with fear. We passed along through a corridor of barbed fencing, towards what looked like a city of hovels and sheds, a multitude of times larger than my home town.

We trudged through, passing many desolate huts. There were no windows, but, in the desolate states that they were in, I often thought I saw a multitude of listless eyes peering out at me from cracks in the wood. I wondered at them even being human eyes, in my innocent state of childhood, as they looked so despondent, and not an ounce of that hope that defines humanity was to be found there; in my ignorant state, I did not know then what inhuman cruelty there existed around me that could result in men, women and children being reduced to such a primitive state of mind devoid of both hope and fear. They looked merely shells of the creatures they once were.

We came to one of the hovels, and were shoved in. There was no-one in there, but it stank of human excrement and suffering. There was no furniture. There was nothing. No windows. Just a rancid hut with a hard wooden floor to sleep on. My father was taken away from us, pulled away by the guards. He didn’t protest, just went with them. I caught a glimpse of his eyes: they reminded me of the others. Eyes that were no longer full of hope and joy, but resigned to some predestined fate of suffering.

My mother wept as they took him, quietly in the middle of the hut, I had curled up into a corner. Then they came. Guard after guard. I did not know then in my innocence and ignorance what they were doing, and I could not see, for it was dark; all I heard was each guard coming in after the other, chuckling, accompanied by my mother’s whimpers.
I did not know back then what evil the world could manifest. What cruelty a man could do to another. Germany, 1938; Hell on Earth. Hitler’s reign was absolute: my father, a simple business man, had made a joke. An anti-Nazi joke. This brought about the utter destruction of my family, the death of my father and my mother. They left me, a broken shell of a child, to walk along the streets of Berlin, and chant “Long live my Führer!”
Recognizing and rewarding writing talent: RW Competitions

Request reviews here: Requests

" All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing "
-- Edmund Burke

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:15 pm
View Likes
EmiAnne says...

Well...

:D Generally, history reports are incredibly boring, including mine. Yours kept me engaged and made me want to read the next paragraph.
:?: The first little line "Evil knows..." made me a little bit confused. Did you have to write a simple theme for your history paper, and then elaborate? I like the first and third lines of your paragraph there, but the second was confusing and sounded like a run-on.
:D I like how you made it from a little kid's point-of-view. This makes it a little less harsh, especially when the mother gets raped.
:arrow: When she says, "Long live my Führer!" What does Fuhrer mean?

I like this piece. I can't wait to see other things you've written!!
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow"
-mary anne radmacher

29 Reviews

Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:14 pm
JSPike says...

Thanks for the comment. :)

I see what you mean about the first sentence, it does seem like a bit of a ramble. I'll edit it when I have the time.

And "Führer" simply means in German, "King" or "leader". Anything to that effect. As dictator Hitler insisted on being referred to as "my Führer".

-- Edmund Burke

113 Reviews

Reviews: 113
Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:08 pm
Mo. says...

Hey, It's Mo, here to review! Sorry I'm so late to reply to your WRFF thread post!

Evil knows no limit. They will stop at nothing to cling on to their sacred power; what little it matters now, who would want to cling on to a shattered country? What kind of power is that?

I like this, but the rest of your story doesn't really follow onto the final question, so maybe you could replace that with something else? (It's still good though).

I peaked out of a gap in the boarded window, splinters of dawn touching my face like a tender mother

I really love your description here. I can see it perfectly in my mind, good job. :D

I gazed out at the gloomy and barren fields as the Sun was starting to rise; rise as it so often did: hopeless and unable to help, as its radiant beams failed to penetrate the blanket of oppression that had befallen Nazi Germany.

I really like the description here too. I think you did a good job in really emphasising the cruelty of destruction, without making it too harsh and terrible.

I read the sign underneath. ‘Konzentrationslager Dachau’ it read.

This is a little bit contradictory, could most six year olds read? I know, now most of them do, but only words that they know. You might want to say something like: I heard my mother whisper, "Konzentrationslager Dachau".

me, my feet hardly touching the ground as a guard roughly pulled me along by the scruff of my shirt.

This is good, you've reminded us of his youth.

I wondered at them even being human eyes, in my innocent state of childhood, as they looked so despondent, and not an ounce of that hope that defines humanity was to be found there; in my ignorant state, I did not know then what inhuman cruelty there existed around me that could result in men, women and children being reduced to such a primitive state of mind devoid of both hope and fear. They looked merely shells of the creatures they once were.

I love the description you've used here. It makes me feel everything I think you've tried to make me feel. Good job. :D

So, overall I really liked this. Very well written, and I don't think I found any spelling/grammatical mistakes. You've done a good job in making the emotions feel real, I think it's very easy to picture the scene you've described.
It held my attention well, and I didn't at all get bored with reading it.

Good work. :D PM me if you have any questions.

~Mo.
Mo. was here. :) mwahahaha

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:51 pm
DirrtyMoney says...

This is insanely good, you had me glued from the first line. Even though there isn't any dialogue I was sucked into the story. The way you describe everything, I really connected with the narrator, I could feel his emotions.
Well done, mate, I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with this!
Peace.
DM
Frank Costello: When you decide to be something, you can be it. That's what they don't tell you in the church. When I was your age they would say we can become cops, or criminals. Today, what I'm saying to you is this: when you're facing a loaded gun, what's the difference?
[The Departed]

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:44 am
curiousvampire says...

I rarely ever come into this forum, but the title sparked my interest and the first sentence sent me into a trance to keep on reading. It was really good and I hope you get a 'A'. You now transfigured my mind to look more deeper into this forum. Thank You for the read; it was exquisite.
"I became insane,with long intervals of horrible insanity."

"Their ideology is that human nature is fundamentally evil.In other words, humans are evil from the day they are born."

"Human is beatiful. Perfect is boring."

29 Reviews

Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:43 am
JSPike says...

First off, sorry I've been away so long! I've been rather busy.

Anyway, thanks for all the comments! :) They're appreciated.

@curiousvampire: I'm thrilled that you're inspired to look at more Historical Fiction! Historical Fiction can be amazing things to read -- and mine is no where near as good as most!

@DirtyMoney: It's great that you want to read more, but this was sort of a one off. I don't really see where I could go after this? Any suggestions though then I'd be happy to hear them. :D

@Mo: Thanks for the review!

-- Edmund Burke

Reviews: 2
Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Seibhris says...

This was a very good piece. It had me interested from the beginning. Great job! :)

8 out of 10.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's true character, give him power."

-Abraham Lincoln

I know history. There are many names in history, but none of them are ours.
— Richard Siken