z

Young Writers Society

Beauregarde

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:02 am
AyumiGosu17 says...

This is dedicated to Beauregarde, perhaps the best dog I will ever rescue, whom showed me and my family the genius and love to make miracles behind a Canine’s eyes.

Chapter One - They Call Her Audra

It was cold on that concrete pad, hidden from the sun by a double layer of blue tarp stretched over the metal cage’s frame. The chain link wire, secured to the pipes with two sets of clips every foot or so, ensuring no dog could squeeze its nose between or under, reminded him of his loss... And the chewed, weather worn, plastic Igloo was the only other escape from a harsh reality.

(No one loves me.)

The pup had pushed himself behind the Igloo, between it and the back panel of chain link, his back turned to the gate, head retreated as far into the corner as possible. He was thin, his paws and haunch were sore from the concrete, and his coat was scruffy. He was teething, too, but the plastic only made his jaw ache and tire quickly; the humans had removed the tattered blanket to keep him from shredding it completely. They had taken not only his entertainment but also his comfort.

He hunkered down when he heard the door handle rattle, the heavy metal panel shifting before it was thrust open. The smell of a human filled his nostrils. He whimpered softly, ducking his head completely behind the Igloo, trying to hide from the human. The dogs in the other kennels began to bark and yelp, jumping excitedly and wagging their tails.

(Me next! Play with me!)

(No, play with me!)

(Please! Please, please, please, please, please…!)

The pup lifted his head slightly, ears forward as he peered around the plastic doghouse. A young human, a girl, was standing there, hands on her hips. She was showing her teeth, but it was not aggressive. She was also making a strange sound, short and without definite diction, breathy tones. Laughter, was it? He had heard of it, but never got to experience it. It was a nice sound.

“Okay, you guys! One at a time!” she giggled, looking around. She glanced at all of them, eyes lingering on the pup for a time. She then walked over to the other side, to a very dirty Chow. The pup watched her wag her tail and paw at her gate eagerly. “Come on Sasha. Let’s get you all washed and pretty, so someone will take you home!”

The girl opened the gate to Sasha’s pen and slipped a thin rope around her neck. The dog smiled and licked the girl’s hand. (Thank you!) The girl then led the big black dog back to the heavy door, pulled it open with effort, and the pair vanished inside the brick building.

The pup turned his head toward the Lab in the neighboring kennel. He licked his lips, and chuffed nervously. (Who is she? What is she doing with Sasha?)

The Lab never stopped wagging his tail, as if the thought of the human was enough to please him. (They call her Audra. She is a Free-Worker here, and she’s so nice to us. She plays with us and pets us and gives us baths and treats! She loves us Dogs! She even smells like us! Well, not really, not like the dirt and the fleas and poop, but LIKE us, as we are inside…) The Lab was not making sense; the pup stared at him, confused. The Lab shook his head and continued, (It’s hard to explain, but you’ll see. She’s great!)

So the human girl was named Audra. The pup huffed, laying his head on his paws. (Whatever.) He closed his eyes, trying to ignore the concrete under him, the barking mutts beside him, and the cruel images of his last home that haunted his thoughts…

He was back in the yard of his old Master’s home. He was on a long chain, tied to a tree. An assembly of car tires was all he had for shelter - two half buried in the hard, dusty ground and a third lying across the top, hub-cap still in the center gap. An old cooking pot sat at the base the tree; the water tasted like rust. Another flat pan had stale dog food that only the ants and birds would munch on. He was laying in the only grassy patch in the backyard. It was a warm April day, the sun beaming down on him as a breeze blew above him. A twisted dogwood tree had white blooms opening.

The back door of the run-down trailer opened, and a human child came out. He was barefoot and had a soccer ball in his arms. The pup assumed the child was going to play with the kids next door; that’s what he usually did. The child saw him laying in the yard and grinned. He looked at the big ball, then back at the young dog. He heaved the ball up over his head and threw it with all his might. The pup jumped to his feet, tail between his legs, as the ball bounced off the ground beside his head. He looked at the kid, head down in fear. (Why did you do that?)

The kid chased the ball down, coming toward him. But then he saw a stick laying at the base of the tree and picked it up. He went to the now sitting pup. “Want da stick?” he shook the fragile twig in front of his nose. “See da stick?”

(Yeah, but what for?) The pup looked away. The kid threw the stick anyway, pointing at it like a monkey. “Git dat stick, boy! Git it!” The pup watched it land a few feet away, but did not move. The kid pointed at it some more. “What’ya waitin’ fo’? It right dare!”

The pup looked up at him. (But why? I don’t want it.)

The kid made a face. His nose scrunched up and lips pushed out as he squinted. “Stoopid mutt! You can’t do nuthin’!” He then picked up his foot, as if to kick him again -

The pup yelped in fear when the door slammed open again, the girl bringing Sasha back outside. Sasha looked and smelled different. Her coat was shiny and smooth, and she smelled like flowers. She wagged her tail excitedly as Audra put her back in her pen, sneaking her a liver treat. The pup could smell more in her pocket.

Audra made her way around the sectioned yard, going to each dog and giving them a treat. She did not give the smaller puppies any, but she did play with them. “Don’t wanna upset your little stomachs,” she told them. Then she moved on to the next pen.

She came to the pup’s gate and stood over it, holding the last treat in the palm of her hand. She put her hand through the chain link, making clinking noises with her tongue. “Come on, boy. Don’t you want it?”

The pup lifted his head, looking first at the treat. It looked soft and chewy; it also smelled good, warm and meaty… He looked at her. She had a soft face, heart shaped and young. Almond eyes were as blue as the sky, and her hair was like the sun. She smiled completely - her lips, her cheeks, her eyes. Her hand was held soft, loose, gentle.

The little boy’s hand held a hard, dried treat out. His fingers were loose as they cradled it…

The pup turned his nose away. (Will you hit me?)

Her smiling face softened, turning into a concerned frown. “It’s just a liver treat. It’s good. Come on, poor old boy.”

(No. Give it to the Lab.)

She sighed, handing the treat to the begging Lab. She looked at the pup one last time before going back inside the building. The pup sat up, looking at the door. She didn’t hit him… She did not harm the Lab…!

The Lab smiled, moaning happily as he rubbed his side against the chain link (See, pup? Audra‘s nice.)

The pup let his tail wag once. (Yeah… She is.)
Last edited by AyumiGosu17 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery." Timothy 4:14 KJV

Reviews: 2
Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:30 am
View Likes
Lucifreedom87 says...

This is a really good children's short stories. It will treat compassion and respect for children.
I am an adult and I have never read a story (only seen animated shorts and movies) that had an animal protagonist. I do believe animals are intelligent beings and they can communicate with each other and so I loved the way this belief that I have was presented.

This is good story for, parent to read to or for children getting their first pet to read.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:11 pm
Stori says...

I'm not sure this belongs in Historical Fiction. If you were to ask a mod, they'd be happy to move it for you.

And the chewed, weather worn, plastic Igloo was the only other escape from a harsh reality.

First of all, is the pup likely to know what an igloo is? If not, you can add some description here. Second, I think 'igloo' is a common noun unless you mean an Igloo brand cooler.

flees

Most likely this is meant to be 'fleas.'

and a third laying across the top

'Lying' suits the bill here. 'Laying' shows that someone is just putting the top tire up.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to continue this. You could show more of the conditions at the animal shelter.

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:26 am
AyumiGosu17 says...

Thanks for the replies!

Luci, thanks. I am probably as protagonist as some people come in my parts; I was actually hoping to turn this into a genuine Children's Book, one for educational purposes, two for pure enjoyment, and three is just to share my rescue dog's miraculous story. Kind of like a slum-dog millionaire situation, it really was.

Stori: Thanks. The main reason I put it here in Historical Fiction is because it's actually something historical, in my eyes. This story is based directly off my own dog's lifeline from the day we met til...well, the end of our first year together. And thanks for pointing out all those errors; I'll be sure to edit it ASAP! :D
"Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery." Timothy 4:14 KJV

What's the point of being a grown-up if you can't be a bit childish sometimes?
— 4th Doctor