z

Young Writers Society

Confinement- 19th Century London

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:06 am
GreenFinchLinnetBird says...

Edited since first two comments. Thanks so much for the suggestions! Still working on character and setting development.

His eyes on me. That’s the first feeling I can remember. That unsettling grey-blue gaze, like a dog’s leash, as tight around my neck as the pearls he used to buy for me. When I was a little girl, he would watch me as we strolled briefly through the park to make sure I wouldn’t get kidnapped or lost. I suppose he feared I would run away from him as well, but at that age I had no wish to escape.
Mr. Renard was my Godfather, my legal guardian. Wherever he went, he was the tallest man in the room. But he was not gaunt or frail. He had a sturdy frame and silvery hair that grew thinner and thinner every year. And of course, ogling grey-blue eyes. To his face, he requested that I call him Father, seeing as he was raising me as his own, and though he was not always kind or gentle, he gave me everything I ever needed. Gowns in the newest style each month, sewing tools, sapphires to match my eyes. However, I was not spoiled. Far from it, Mr. Renard had me under strict rules. I was not to leave the house without his company, and I could not speak to anyone unless he was present. Mr. Renard threatened to send me to a convent the second I disobeyed him. I might have found these conditions abominable if I had known anything different. How was I to understand that fathers needn’t obsess over their daughters’ innocence? My love for him, if you can call it that, was not born of fondness, but of gratitude for material things given to me. It was not love, of course, but more of a certain dependence.
He was my tutor as well, teaching me to read in English and French. I was impressed by his intellect, his sharp mind quick to discover my mistakes and lightly punish me for them. The one thing he could not teach me was music, since music is an art form and only people with souls can create art. The music tutor he hired was young and brilliant- a German man with thick, black hair and gleaming green eyes that looked up happily from where he sat at our noble, black pianoforte. He had a deep voice that gave me an instant sense of tranquility, and he always smiled. That was my favourite thing about him, his beautiful smile with his barely crooked teeth. Yet even during these lessons, the highlight of my week, my Father’s eyes were on me. He sat in the corner of the room by the shelves filled with dolls dressed in lace and fancy silver rattles, analyzing my every move and those of Herr Kurz as I sang by the piano. At the time I couldn’t even guess at what he was looking for.
I didn’t have to wait long to find out. By the time I turned fifteen, his gaze had grown hungry. He looked at me longer, more carefully. His hand was more often at my shoulder as I sat at my sewing by the grand fireplace, or around my forearm, preventing me from pulling certain volumes from his vast library. I wore the tightest corsets under lavish gowns, usually in light colors, white or rose. There was one deep blue gown that I found garish, but that he insisted I wear. He said it flattered my eyes.
One week my music tutor was late for my lesson. I sat by my window for an hour, scanning the busy London street below for any trace of his dark hair. When none came, I walked down the marble staircase to find Mr. Renard reading a literary journal by the fire.
“Father, has Herr Kurz come by? I was supposed to have my…” I trailed off as a dark look came over his face.
As if reading a the day’s weather report, he replied, “You will no longer be studying music with Herr Kurz. I have found his methods impractical and his intentions lascivious.” At the look of outrage on my face, he stood up from his armchair and placed a finger under my chin, turning my face towards his. “Do not fret so, my dear girl. Your voice is too lovely already. You have no need for a tutor.” I stared furiously at the floor as he gently placed a large hand upon my cheek. “Such a pretty girl. My dear Cecilia.” Tears stung my eyes. I turned away from him and ran back up the stairs to my room.
I did not come down for dinner that night out of protest, which Mr. Renard did not seem to mind. No doubt he thought I would wake up starving the next morning, begging for forgiveness. I sat on my bed, wondering what had caused Mr. Renard’s sudden decision to cancel my lessons. Did he hold no concern for my happiness? And what had he meant when he said that Herr Kurz’s intentions were lascivious? He most certainly did not seem like a man with lechery on his mind. Yet how was I to know what lechery looked like in a man? The only men I’d spoken to were the ones at the formal dinners I used to attend with Mr. Renard. But he had stopped taking me to those too. I began to think that it was not Herr Kurz’s faults that had ended our lessons so abruptly. Mr. Renard would have said that of any man with whom he thought I was forming a bond.
With this realisation, I collapsed back onto my pillows with a hiss of rage, and then out of nowhere I was sobbing. Fury tore at my insides, twisting my gut and burning in my head. A shout escaped from my lips, and fearing that Mr. Renard would come to inquire about the noise, I put a hand to my mouth and let my tears stream over my fingers. My anger confused me; I had never felt like this before. But confusion only intensified my frustration, and the urge to throw something was almost unbearable.
Last edited by GreenFinchLinnetBird on Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Green finch and linnet bird, nightingale, blackbird, how is it you sing? How can you jubilate, sitting in cages, never taking wing? Outside the sky waits, beckoning, beckoning, just beyond the bars. How can you remain, staring at the rain, maddened by the stars?
How is it you sing
Anything?

403 Reviews

Reviews: 403
Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:30 am
SmylinG says...

Personally, I found this very interesting to read. It had that little something in it that keeps my attention flowing throughout the entire thing up until the very end. Your characters could use a little more development I think. I'd like to know more about them should you continue writing this. Which I think you should. It definately has so much potential to be something great. I can imagine a ton of different outcomes that are possible with this particular piece. You should continue with it. Definately. I would be happy to review what else you've written for this work. The particular era and location alone is so charming. Good luck if you continue. :D And good work so far.
Paul is my little, evil, yellow bundle of joy.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:01 pm
Twit says...

Hai! :D

Mr. Renard was my guardian, my Godfather, and although he wasn’t the kindest or gentlest, he gave me everything I ever needed... Yet even during these lessons, the highlight of my week, my Father’s eyes were on me.

Is Mr Renard her father? If so, why does she call him by his name, a la Eustace Scrubb? I'm confused, is he her father, godfather or guardian? Will he make her an offer she can't refuse?

As if reading a list of the various types of cucumber available to the world, he replied, “You will no longer be studying music with Herr Kurz. I have found his methods impractical and his intentions lascivious.”

That's a very random simile! It's a great simile (cucumbers are eccentric beings), but I'm wondering if it really fits with the tone of the rest of the piece? The overall tone is quite solemn and grave, and I'm not sure cucumbers fit.

I turned away from him and ran back up the stairs to my room, where I remained for days afterwards.

What about food? What about drink? What about... the bathroom?

I definitely think you should continue with this story. I'm already intrigued and very much want to know what happens next. Does he molest her? Does she escape? What happens? There's lot of different directions this could go in, and I'm anxious to find out which one you take.

Aside from the points mentioned above, I would like more a sense of character and place. There is very little description. You only mention her music teacher's hair and beard; nothing of his character, how she feels about him, how he feels about her. Were they getting too close? Was she excited by his presence? Did she see him as a possible escape route? Cecilia seems like a bit of a recluse, so what does she think of the outside world? What does she think of men? What does the house look like? What does her father look like? He seems to play a big part in her life, so I'd like a clearer picture of him.

A side note here, though, don't mention exactly how tall he is. That annoys me supremely. I don't look at John Cleese and think, "Hmm, 6 foot 5 inches in height", I look at him and think, "Golly, that guy goes on forever!"

:)

Are you sure that a girl would have been taught Latin back then? Boys learned Latin and Greek, but wouldn't a girl's education been confined to skills that would help her catch a husband and cut a figure in society? Whatever that means.

PM me if you have any questions!

-twit
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:28 am
ballerina13 says...

Hello! This was really good. I enjoyed it very much. The whole idea of it is intruiging. I liked the flow and tone set right away. The word choice and description was spot on at getting the tone of 19th century London. So far, the character development is a little lacking. But I like where this story is going. It has potential! Again, it is a great read so far. I think that the god-father's character could be developed a bit more, just to see what he was like before and why he is so controlling and protective of Cecilia. All in all, it was a nice start. I hope to read more!
~Ballerina
Got YWS?
"No one can arrive from being talented alone,work transform talent into genius" - Anna Pavlova

Random avatar

Reviews: 8
Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:56 pm
fritzalfonts says...

The beginning was really good it drew me in straight away. Similar to what others have said - character development and (for me) more setting descriptions - though your style and vocabulary and rhythm at times is actually quite beautiful. This is an aside note but I love the name Cecilia - makes me think of Cecilia Tallis from Atonement! Overall a good piece. Please keep it up:)

Brain freezes are temporary, but milkshakes are forever.
— SilverNight