z

Young Writers Society

Anzac Warriors

85 Reviews

Reviews: 85
Thu May 05, 2011 1:04 pm
Eniarrol says...

This is a war-themed story rated 16+ for violence and blood for the first world war. Enjoy! :mrgreen: Oh and yes I am aware the thoughts are in italics too but the damn YWS code thing make it hard to stop it being on italics there so...meh

The bullets had rained down like a giant swarming cloud of wasps, grazing my skin and cascading of our metal hard-hats as we ran through the slush of mud and heavy rain fall of the night before. Mud sloshed over me from head to toe with every movement, I could feel my uniform clinging to my weary body.
As we ran, I could hear Turkish voices coming from close behind us, their voices were muffled but it didn’t take a genius to figure out that they were angry. At a nearby bullet shot, Peter stumbled and I saw that crimson fluid was seeping through the cloth of the camouflage pattern uniform.
The bullet fire had ceased: for now.“I guess the Turks don’t want to waste bullets on us.” I thought quietly, I sincerely hoped that this was true. I reached over to Peter draped his arm around my neck, supporting half his weight; I started walking through a maze of trees although the cover was thin it would be better than out on the open plains; the main battle was taking place back there.
I stopped, panting as I peered through the trees to see over a bank that steeply sloped into a swamp amuck with reeds and willow trees hanging over the banks edge; the Willow’s leaves splaying out in the water. I sped up and getting through the thick of the trees, put Peter down. I risked a glance sideways at him, I could only see his dark silhouette of a hunched shape; his chest was shaking as he drew one after another rasping breath. He certainly was not well.
“Do you think we got away Cam? I swear those Turks never give up.” Peter asked in a low ragged whisper. I gave another fleeting look at Peter and held a finger up to my mouth: we needed to be silent.
My heart fluttered at every crack of a twig or chirp of the owls in the trees up ahead. Then a Turkish voice caught my attention. “They’re over there!” The man raised a rifle and sighted his target. Bang! A gunshot echoed through the air; I jumped at the suddenness of it.
Oh no.“Peter?”
My throat was dry and scratchy and I feared if I tried to talk nothing would come out, so, instead of doing the noble thing and picking up my friends body I just up and ran. The tears I had been holding back were flying into my face as I dodged bullets and only concentrated on reaching my sanctuary. The trees.

An ocean of crosses stood black against the pale dawn. The sun was just starting to creep around the edges of night lightening the massive granite angels that frowned upon the wooden stakes in the ground making them looks pathetic and not worthy of marking the death of one’s body.
He swallowed, my Adams apple bobbing up and down with the choking sensation at the back of my throat, my shoulder were rounded as if carrying a heavy burden.
I smiled feebly at my wife; she had tracks of mascara where she had been crying.
“Now, now Margaret. Your brother wouldn’t want to see you so upset.” I said.
“Aye, well you're one to talk. You were as much his friend as he was my brother,” Margaret said grasping my hand that had been growing cold in the chilly sunless morning. “I know your upset Cameron but you’ve gotta’ believe you did all you could for him.” She gave my hand a reassuring squeeze.
I stood back and listened to the distant sobs of people crying and religious folks saying prayers at the so-called graves of their loved ones, now lost to the fruitless cause that is war.
“Mummy, I want ta go play ANZAC’s with Henry and the others, can I go?” Margaret looked down at her son.
“Yes Peter dear, but be careful! You know how the older boys get carried away.”
“Yes mummy!” Peter yelled already scampering up a small hill where some other boys were mimicking rifle shots and being shot with imaginary bullets.
“I’m not sure what to think of that game.” I said still staring up to the hill.
“Yes well, they admire their father and Uncle Peter,” Margaret said. “They want to grow up just like you two.”
“Well let’s just hope it’s not the latter then, shall we” I pulled a bunch of crimson flowers from a nearby garden and placed them in the vase next to the wooden cross that read: “Peter William Denston beloved friend, brother and soldier who died for his country in the Great War R.I.P”
“Rest in peace, Peter” I said as the sun rose above the hills and shone down on the crowded graveyard that seemed to be aglow with the red of the poppies sprouting from the ground.
Spoiler! :
This is a story inspired by the first world war with the ANZAC soliders fighting the Turkish. I don't mean this to be racist towards anyone who is Turkish but if it is just tell how and I will change it. I hope you liked it, press like if you like it and feel free to rip this apart!
Last edited by Eniarrol on Fri May 06, 2011 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
A hero isn’t defined by winning. Loads of heroes die in the effort. Most of them never get any recognition. No, a hero is just somebody who does the right thing when it would be far, far easier to do nothing.

~Previously SweetMoments

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Thu May 05, 2011 4:07 pm
Wolferion says...

Hiya! I'm here to review, so lets get to it. I'll start by giving my comments to your paragrapsh and fixing whatever I find disturbing, alright? :) The story is in "spoiler".

Spoiler! :
The bullets had rained down like a giant swarming cloud of wasps, grazing my skin and cascading of our metal hard-hats as we ran through the slush of mud and heavy rain fall of the night before. - You know, here it feels like its too packed with adjectives and what not in a one breath, try dividing it into a bit more side sentences. Otherwise, nice description, just too packed ^^

Mud sloshed over me from head to toe with every movement (I think this could be written a bit better, it just looks awkward), I could feel my uniform clinging to my weary body.
As we ran, I could hear Turkish voices coming from close behind us, their voices were muffled but it didn’t take a genius to figure out that they were angry. At a nearby bullet shot (Sounds awkward to me, sorry =\ At a sound of a few shots - feels better) , Peter stumbled and I saw that crimson fluid was seeping through the cloth of the camouflage pattern uniform.
- Not bad paragraph at all. I think you could've added a short information about his inner feelings at his moment - anxiousnes, fear, whatever, would make the situation be more than just pictures (imaginery), but also emotions.

The bullet fire had ceased: for now.“I guess the Turks don’t want to waste bullets on us.” I thought quietly, I sincerely hoped that this was true. I reached over to Peter draped his arm around my neck, supporting half his weight (Again, I find this awkward. I rushed to Peter and put his arm over my neck to support him - no need for more details.). I started slowly(To keep in the flow with a fact he is supporting somebody) walking through a maze of trees. Although (even though) the cover was thin, it still was better than out on the open plains as the main battle was taking place back there.
- It's quite similar to the previous paragraph in the problem - you just mechanically tell us that the narrator did something, but he definitely felt something when he saw Peter get shot, when he rushed to him to help him and when he started walking through the maze. You show us pictures and tell us action, but where are emotions, where is the tension? This barely has the tension it can have.

Soon I stopped, panting as I peered through the trees to see over a bank that steeply sloped into a swamp amuck with reeds and willow trees hanging over the banks edge; the Willow’s leaves splaying out in the water (The previous description was still alright to swallow, but this addition just feels out of a place). I sped up and getting through the thick of the trees, put Peter down. (You seem to have made a mistake with the use of times here. I began walking faster and after getting through the thick of the last trees, I put Peter down. I risked a glance sideways at him, I could only see his dark silhouette of a hunched shape; his chest was shaking as he drew one after another rasping breath. He certainly was not well.
- Well you know, when putting somebody down, its natural that one will look at the person he's putting down to not make any mistake and to make it smooth as a shot person is not a joke. What you wrote here just doesn't make sense in this case. I'd try it probably like this : As I was putting him down I witnessed his horrible suffering that deeply shocked me, making me worry greatly about his survival; His breath was shaking, his face was deadly pale and his eyes were faint, staring deep into mine.

"Do you think we got away Cam? I swear those Turks never give up.” Peter asked in a low ragged whisper. I gave another fleeting look at Peter and held (put?) a finger up to my mouth: we needed to be silent.
- The speech here could be fixed a bit using - to show his trouble speaking, his pauses between certain words, don't run away from reality.

My heart fluttered at every crack of a twig or chirp of the owls in the trees up ahead. (Finaly I see some inner emotions showed! Do not forget about the lack of emotions in previous paragraphs!) Then (Then isn't one of a favorite words to use in sudden situations, if you want it to be clearly sudden, use something else than Then. Then is too casual) a Turkish voice caught my attention. “They’re over there!” The man raised a rifle and sighted his target. Bang! A gunshot echoed through the air; I jumped at the suddenness of it.
- Your soldier kind of out of nowhere understood what a turkish man said? In that panic he was, he might have imagined whatever possible, but it'd be just better if you replaced this with a real turkish language. That is not hard to do to begin with, just use google. Nice try to make it shocking and momentary, however, it could've been much better. As about emotions, finally I've noticed some inner emotions! As I said, more of them! Spice up, give us real tension, do not run away from reality, it is much more colorful than your mechanical descriptions at times.

Oh no.“Peter?” - Just one oh no? For his panic, that's quite too casual/calm.
My throat was dry and scratchy and I feared that if I tried to talk, nothing would come out, so, instead of doing the noble thing and picking up my friends body, I just stood up and ran without looking back. Tears I had been holding back were dropping off face as I dodged bullets and only concentrated on reaching my sanctuary - trees.

An ocean of crosses stood black against the pale dawn. The sun was just starting to creep around the edges of night lightening the massive granite angels that frowned upon the wooden stakes in the ground making them looks pathetic and not worthy of marking the death of one’s body. - Too many descriptions packed into one sentence. Too hard to swallow at once, try dividing this. Besides, what's with the sudden jump? Reader will think at the beginning of another paragraph from his runaway, but it's not. Do not make us lose ourselves.

I swallowed, my Adams apple bobbing up and down with the choking sensation at the back of my throat, my shoulder were rounded as if carrying a heavy burden. - Not bad actually.

I smiled feebly at my wife; she had tracks of mascara where she had been crying.
“Now, now, Margaret. Your brother wouldn’t want to see you so upset.” I said.
“Aye, well your one to talk. You were as much his friend as he was my brother,” Margaret said grasping my hand that had been growing cold in the chilly sunless morning. “I know your upset Cameron, but you’ve gotta believe you did all you could for him.” She gave my hand a reassuring squeeze.

I stood back and listened to the distant sobs of people crying and religious folks saying prayers at the so-called graves of their loved ones, now lost to the fruitless cause that is war.
“Mummy, I want ta go play ANZAC’s with Henry and the others, can I go?” Margaret looked down at her son. - Maybe rearrange this a bit? Make it clear it was her son that said this and he said it while doing something, f.e. pleading her mom. Only then she looked down at him.
“Yes, Peter, dear, but be careful! You know how the older boys get carried away.”
“Yes, mummy!” Peter yelled already scampering up a small hill where some other boys were mimicking rifle shots and being shot with imaginary bullets.
“I’m not sure what to think of that game.” I said still staring up to the hill.
“Yes well, they admire their father and Uncle Peter,” Margaret said. “They want to grow up just like you two.”
“Well let’s just hope it’s not the latter then, shall we.” I pulled a bunch of crimson flowers from a nearby garden and placed them in a (You know, you use too many "the", at times they are confusing, they make me search for vase somewhere before, since "the"often means it's been mentioned or is just one in the world world.) vase next to the wooden cross that read: “Peter William Denston. A beloved friend, brother and a soldier who died for his country in the Great War. R.I.P”
“Rest in peace, Peter.” I said as the sun rose above the hills and shone down on the crowded graveyard that seemed to be aglow with the red of the poppies sprouting from the ground.
- Emotions lacking! This doesn't really feel that touching for an end, not at all. You just gave us some words, facts, pictures, but where's the inner dilemma, feeling? Your narrator isn't a cold blooded killer or robot, if you get what I mean.

You know, it's quite nice to see somebody ever pick up a theme "WWI", but you know, I didn't feel any interested in this nor grasped by something. It was dry, not much emotions along the line, almost no tension, just pictures, just words. At times where appeared some good emotion descriptions and they spiced it up, for a moment I got interested, but then they just disappeared once again, making me sigh. At one moment you jump from one act to another without any medium, we get a bit lost, the ending itself feels dry again. Having a story in your mind is one thing, but keeping it real is as important as writing any story. As somebody used to tell me ages ago, it just lacks meat. (Action, somehow check. Descriptions, something check. Tension? None. Emotions? Minimum. Interest? Shallow. Worth remembering? Not really.)

Seeing that you've still got quite a lot to learn and your time is huge, I'll wish you a lot of luck as a writer and of course a lot of nerves to not give up nor sway. Writing is not an easy task, but it's beautiful, it's unique, it's irreplaceable. Best wishes!

Kyou out~
~Don't beg for things, do it yourself or else you'll never get anything~
-Formerly Shinda

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Thu May 05, 2011 4:21 pm
Redfang18 says...

I'm impressed. I never read anything war-related since my freshman year in high school. You're doing an excellent job with this piece of work. I suggest more fighting and a little less tragedy. Tragedies are tear-jerkers and I can't read one tear-jerker too many. Doctor's orders.
Look down and show some mercy if you can.
Look down, look down, upon your fellow man.

~~~Les Miserables

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Thu May 05, 2011 11:23 pm
Glauke says...

Hear ye, hear ye! PenPrincess has arrived, at the request of Her Storiness, SweetMoments! So, yeah, here I am.
Well, great job with this, SM. It moves seamlessly from one scene to the next, a task that would involve much difficulty for most. One thing that I wanted to address is the rating. I really don't see the need for the story to be rated 16+. There's not a lot of blood 'n' guts in here, but if you think it's deserving of 16+, well, it's not my story. :)

Anywho, I do really like it. Honestly. It is fluid and light, a tearjerker at that. Ha! Who would've thought, right? But seriously, your grammar is good, tense is good, everything's good. Nitpicks:
1) Check for run-on sentences! You have 2 or 3, if I remember correctly.
2) "You're" and "your": There is a difference. "Your" is showing ownership. "You're" = you + are, "you are". People don't really pay attention to this anymore (no offense), and it really bugs me. I think that this occurs several times throughout the course of the story.

Other than that, great piece! Thanks for choosing Drive-Thru Review for your story! Your total for today is $0.00. Please pull up to the second window: Editing. Have a nice day!
❁❁❁

be still, sad heart, and cease repining
behind the clouds is the sun still shining

Every empire tells itself and the world that it is unlike all other empires.
— Edward Said