Young Writers Society

Diary of Anne Frank Retold

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:11 pm
AlyKat says...

December 15, 1940

Dear Sugarcane,
Hello my dear diary. Ok, so yeah I know how tacky that sounds but papa told me if I was to write in you I had to be “formal”. But I plan to hide my diary so well that he can’t find it and look at all I choose to write. I shall start off by telling little about myself. My name is Alyssa but I quite promise you everyone calls me Aly. I have golden blonde hair and greens eyes. I live in Plauen, Germany. A city of east-central Germany south-southwest of Leipzig. Founded by Slavs in the 12th century, it passed to Bohemia in 1327 and to Saxony in 1466 and became a textile-milling center in the 15th century. Just in case you’re wondering about any of it. But it’s horrid in my life. Why you ask? The Holocaust!! Hitler is being quite dreadful and I can’t stand him!! I guess what I’m absolutely dying to write about is what I currently know about it. Okay so honestly it’s not much but it’s enough to know that it’s complete evil.
. Many people are being ruthlessly killed
. Hitler has targeted all Jews no matter their rank in life
. My family doesn’t have to go into hiding
. My best friend Adrian has gone into hiding (but this is my secret so pray no one reads this)
. My last known thing is that it scares me straight out of my socks!
But to be honest I want nothing more than to NOT know about all of this. It’s a horrible thing that should not being going on. Papa say’s that we’re German, so hiding is not needed for us. But I do really wonder what it’d be like. I do so believe next time I write in here I shall begin a list of the things I’d want to bring. Good night for now.

-Aly

December 16, 1940
Dear Sugarcane,

I told you I had decided that next time I wrote I would begin a list of the things I would take into hiding with me. Well here it is:
.You, my dear diary
.MANY pens
.As many clothes as I am able to layer on my body
.My dear old calico named Holda (German for beloved)
Ha-ha I know what your thoughts must be. How in the world will she be able to hide these things? Well all I say is everything would go into my coat and pockets, while Holda is in her carrier. True to say it will be confusing trying to hold these things but I care not. I must write my thought that has just come to mind.
Spring has come; trees will bloom.
Carrie my sister must find her groom.
I shall laugh and I shall grow
Shall I marry my own beau?
No matter what I will have fun
I promise never to be a nun!
I am strong; not weak
Pray tell me are you Greek?
I must close the thoughts I think
Good gosh did you know you stink?
I know it’s not too good but I do get a good laugh out of it. Good gosh, mothers calling me. I shall write more tomorrow. Good night
-Aly

December 17, 1940

Dear Sugarcane,

I had the pressing question in school about diaries. “What are they to you and how do you feel about them?” Tis’ the pressing question Ms. Sinclair gave us. I will write the same thing that I told her.

“Diaries to me are a way of expressing your deep feelings. No one reads it really so you can pour your heart into it without the horror idea that someone will judge it. I feel that they can be someone’s best friends, their secret. Like the reason people can be happy. If someone makes you mad all you have to do is write it all down. It gives you a chance to vent your feelings.”

Yeah. I got an F on it. Apparently a diary is a sin and no one should have it. I sooooo can’t stand my teacher. Well, crazy lady has her opinion, and I have mine. Oh fudge, Missy (sister) is getting into the plants again. Write more later!!

Later,

Dear Sugarcane,

I can write for a very short time. But I must say what I must. Adrian’s family has been caught. I was coming home and all of a sudden she is being pulled out of an old factory I had no idea was still in use. But then I remembered it, there was a secret room in the back that many had forgotten about. But apparently not these people.
With Adrian came her mother, father, and these people I had never seen before. But what I think to be the people’s son was nice, he was extremely cute. But they were being shoved into a truck. But I saw their clothes and remembered.

Jews.

I cried at the sight. My best friend was being shipped off to heaven knows what. My friend I had always confided in and trusted was gone. That’s all I can bear to write. Good night my dear diary.

-Aly

December 18, 1940

Dear Sugarcane,

I took Missy for a walk today. We were stopped almost 5 times by Green Police, thank the lord I had our papers. We finally had time to relax until I caught sight of posters in one of the city gardens. Well I actually couldn’t see what they were of, so I took hold of Missy and stepped up to investigate.

The pictures were of none other than concentration camps. It showed of dancing and what looked to be singing. I got this odd sensation in the pit of my stomach. Like the pictures made it all seem so much better than it really was.

Well, it truly doesn’t matter I guess, if that place was where Adrian is then I love it. I miss her so dearly…..

Oh! I almost forgot. I ended up meeting a super duper cute German boy today. Abel he said his name was. I’m to meet him again tomorrow at noon under an old oak tree outside of town. Oh my dear diary I can hardly contain my joy!

I have to find the perfect outfit! I really can’t believe I’m going so crazy over him. It’s so frustrating! But I guess I’ll write more about all of the camps to get my mind off of him.

I heard about a girl from Frankfurt today from my named Anne Frank. Apparently she’s been writing in a diary just like I’ve been writing in you. The only difference is that her entire family has said to have escaped to Switzerland.

But I heard a rumor today that the Germans are planning a massive attack on our town to rid it of all Jews. It’s terrifying. But I must admit one thing.

I HATE THE HOLOCAUST!!!

December 19, 1940

Dear Sugarcane,

Daddy told me a deep secret today. We were supposed to have a family of Jews come live with us and he told me that I was to go clean and that I was going to cut down on my food, as the whole was family was. There was a boy who was about two years older than I; I was supposed to put some of my books up in our attic (where they are staying) and then make a list of activities he could do. Here is that list:

8-12a.m- Sleep until noon.
12-3p.m- Practice French or whatever language u prefer
3-4:30p.m- Practice trying to comprehend the possible war outcomes (there’s so many it could take hours to figure them all out)
4:30-6p.m- Dilly Dally about being bored!!

Please I beg of you don’t laugh at my choice of weird things. I know it’s like nothing but then again I’m not the one going into hiding.

I heard a strange quote today, “There are no walls, there are no bolts, no locks that anyone can out on your mind”. I truly believe this is strange. I have been thinking quite deeply about it and have decided I have part of the idea.

No one can make you think what they want you to think, you have a freedom to believe what you want and no one has the chance to tarnish your mind with unhappy thoughts or gestures.

I have fallen in love with this saying and it is officially my new motto to go by. I mean by how I’m talking about it all you can tell I agree. I mean, I want the chance so bad, the chance to be free in mind and in body. To have a free spirit no one can steal or hurt.

Well darn, I must be off now to help my mother fix up the beds in our attic for our future occupants. Good bye my lovely diary I shall write more later.

December 20, 1940

Dear Sugarcane,
Peter and Anne, two completely different people, yet in a way similar. They’re the characters from the story we’re reading. I shall write about my day for I’ve composed a chart at the bottom:

Anne Peter

Good Gosh today was spectacular! I met Abel under the old oak tree today. We talked and talked then splashed in the creek. He wore his uniform today. I could tell he was proud of it. He asked me what I thought.

I told him that he looked like he belonged in the uniform. He then said he had to go to his shift in town. He gave me a peck on the cheek and left.

He wants me to meet him tomorrow at the same spot, same time. I will write more later.
Aly

December21, 1940

Dear Sugarcane,
Papa told us that a family of Jews. They have a boy my age. I don’t know his name, or what he looks like. But I do hope he’s cute. As a welcoming gift they gave us a Star of David. It’s a little faded, so it’s not that yellow anymore, but it’s still cool. I decided to put it in my diary. I don’t mean for this to be a short entry my dear diary, but I’ve got to help mother prepare sheets and all of that. Good bye till tomorrow.

December 22, 1940

Dear Sugarcane,
I met the boy my age today, his name is Lucas. I can’t believe I’m saying this but….. He’s adorable!!!! We talked so much, he told me about the dog he left behind, Jazzy. She’s a small black dog; he gave me a picture of her. She’s absolutely sweet! He also told me about what he wanted to do when he got out of hiding.
But then he asked me what I would want to do if I was in his position. All I told him was that I’d escape, escape the fighting, the killing, everything. He said he understood, and that’s what he wants to do. But I didn’t tell him that first thing I’d do is really run to the woods, into an open field, and just lay there smelling the fresh air and being at peace. I know this seems a little stupid but its how I feel.
Oh I almost forgot, in a mere 6 days I’ll be 17. I can’t wait! It’s one step closer to being free. And to be honest, freedom from the horror of the Holocaust. I can’t write anymore….. It pains me. Good night my dear diary.

December 23, 1940

Dear Sugarcane,
Christmas in not but 2 days away. Papa says that we need to use no money at all. That we need to save it for food. But I don’t care. I’ve already composed my list of things for my little sister (Missy), mother and father.
For Missy I will give her pink ribbons I found while cleaning the attic. She loves to be girly and I know she needs some good cheering up.
For momma I will give her the necklace she broke, only I fixed it and shined it, making it look brand new. It was her great- grandmothers, so I know she’d want it back.
For papa I will give him a pipe. He doesn’t smoke very much but I know it’ll bring his spirits up.
Papa told me it was time I start husband hunting. Apparently he’s spoken with Abel already and Abel has thought of proposing. Father asked me what I thought of that. I told him that I will marry when and only when I am ready. I miss my friends, what with all of the exports of Jews I’m hardly allowed outside anymore.

Once again the Holocaust messes up my life!!!!!!

April 20, 1952

Dear Sugarcane,

My gosh, I haven’t written in over 10 years. Our house was raided on the day of Christmas. It was terrifying, but they didn’t find Lucas and his family. But I didn’t have the time to write, and it just came that I lost you my precious diary. But I did just recently find you in an old box. But it is truly ironic; a young girl named Anne Frank has come into the spotlight. A diary she wrote was published this year. I read it. As soon as I finished it I wanted to cry, learning about the hardships she faced was heart wrenching.
As soon as I started it I could see why it would get so much attention. People who never experienced the hardships of being in hiding wanted to read about them.
In the book it had mentioned that Anne was happy to be in the sun and be able to be in the fresh air. I understand it now. The last quote was “In spite of everything I still believe people are really good at heart.” This tells so much about her, about how no matter what she still thinks people have a heart under what may be their cruelty. And to be quite frank, I agree completely.
My diary how I’ve missed but I have little ones of my own now. I will write more if possible.

April 25, 1952
Dear Sugarcane,

I found this today.

Fifty years after the fact
Painful memories intact
Nightmares recurring,
Nazis appearing.

Must survivors remain
At their altar of pain
Forever enduring
Unspeakable haunting?

And will it subside
On life's other side
Or go on persisting
Into the realm of night?
I could feel the emotion pour from this. The hurt and despair in this is astonishing. To be truthful I’d love to meet the author. Knowledge is amazing and it’s hurtful all the same.

Good gosh I’ll write tomorrow…

May 6, 1952
Dear Sugarcane,

To be real, I’ve learned a lot from the book. Well it’s just in a general area. I’ve learned about how it was to be cramped up in such small quarters and to be with so many people yet feel so alone. But yes, I know that’s not much, but it’s enough. I was a girl of 16 then. I’m 28 now and married to….. Lucas. As soon as the war ended we eloped. I now have a little girl of four years. But I have missed you, I miss writing and explaining my feelings. This entry and the next won’t be very long. I’ve decided to become a teacher and have papers to grade, which is my job now. Good bye my dear.

May 26, 1952
Dear Sugarcane,
I’m a teacher. And the first lesson I gave was on, of course, the Holocaust. It happened not 10 years ago and no one really knows about it. I taught them all about how my family ended up hiding my husband’s family and how he described it all.
My students loved the lesson and couldn’t get enough. Tomorrow I will teach them all about what happened after the war. But I must go now my dear diary, for good. I will miss you greatly and dearly, but I’m almost 30 now and have no time to dally in a diary.

Good night and good bye…… For good.
Oompa Loompa something something something :)

229 Reviews

Reviews: 229
Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:38 am
AmeliaCogin says...

Hi Aly!
Straight in with a review here. This piece was far too casual for me and unrealistic. The 'holocaust' wasn't know as the 'holocaust' back then: mass murder was only a thing to be witnessed in concentration and POW camps. Most German people adored Hitler as their saviour.

I have never read Anne Frank, and, even if you refered to some of her quotes and pieces of information, you have gone about formulating your story in the entirely wrong way, in my opinion. I have an elderly german friend who lived through the politial regime of Hitler and was imprisoned in a POW camp, and therefore I have firsthand knowledge, and, honestly, your characters' voice is not realistic.

This is all my opinion, and feel free to challenge anything I say with reserch and quotes ect. I'm sorry for being harsh! On a good note, your grammar was fine and your storytelling abilities are good. You just need to channel them into something more realistic and emotive. That's the other thing: the diary of Anne Frank is very emotional and heartfelt, so I hear. Your piece did not hit the right chords in the emotion-department, unfortunately. It was bland; just words on a page.
I'm very sorry, once again, that this review is so brutally honest: remember, you don't have to listen to a thing I say! Anyway Aly, hope to read more of your work soon.
Alia :)

Reviews: 2
Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:21 pm
sammay says...

I didn't really like it because I got bored and at the beginning you typed "ok" instead type "okay"
People think I'm quiet those who know me wish I was.

I <3 to write.

- Sammay :D

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:23 am
AlyKat says...

Well if this was a story about a girl in a concentration camp or POW camp you would be right but it isn't. And my grand parents watched mass murders outside of there window in Germany. It wasn't just in the camps. This was just a project. It isn't a real story or anything.
Oompa Loompa something something something :)

Make your dreams come true. Don't wish for them, work for them.
— Lilly Singh