z

Young Writers Society

An Eight-Year-Old's Philosophy

Reviews: 2
Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:12 am
Ellen says...

It was something she saw on the streets near Sniper Alley, coupled with a dream she had that night, which led to the development of Mariana’s philosophy. In the yellow light of early morning, the streets had seemed to shine. Fragments of broken glass reflected the sunlight, bathing the two figures in creamy yellow. Their shadows were so strange, Mariana thought, one long, tall one, and her own tiny one. She felt the urge to laugh a little, but Kamil had told her to be silent with that adult sense of urgency that she didn’t quite understand. Kamil was the tallest person she knew, even though he was only thirteen, the second-oldest person in the shelter. She began to pretend that she was a princess and he was her bodyguard, leading her by the hand through the streets and knocking away shells and bullets with his bare hands.

They were on their way to the markets. If they didn’t get there early enough, all the good food would be gone. And Kamil said the soldiers were lazy, so the early morning was one of the only times when they could walk safely. They passed by the square – which was hardly a square anymore, only an empty place surrounded by rubble – and the anticipation of Sniper Alley loomed closer. The houses had started to look more like skeletons now and Mariana huddled close to Kamil. She remembered what Johan had said about ghosts – that they hid behind the rubble and grabbed you as soon as they thought you were alone. They liked children because they could eat them without anyone noticing.

They were near the marketplace now, Sniper Alley only to their right. Kamil’s eyes would quickly dart there, and then stare back in front. He was looking for Danger. Older people could sense the Danger, but not Mariana yet. She could hear it, though. It was a swift cracking noise, like the firecrackers her neighbours used to have on Christmas day, or it would be the heavy whine of a shell, the painful burst of noise as it landed. From Sniper Alley, the cracking began and Mariana almost yelped in fright. Kamil pulled her down behind the desecrated remains of a building, his eyes staring fearfully at Sniper Alley. A man yelled out – in pain, in fright? – and then there was no noise. Kamil slowly peeked his head out from behind the wall, saw the blood and ducked back down, pale. Mariana knew he was afraid. Kamil was often afraid, but he still acted like an adult. He pulled Mariana up and they walked on swiftly. “Wait, wait!” she pulled away from him, “What if he’s not dead? What if we can help him?”
Kamil shook his head. “We can’t. It’s too dangerous.”
Mariana thought her heart was going to burst. She looked out at the deserted street, her eyes finding the puddle of red in the centre, the remains of the man. She could not pull away, her gaze was stuck fast. “What’s that?” she whispered to Kamil, still trying to pull her away. “There’s something silver on him.”
“It looks like a chain,” Kamil answered, “Maybe he got caught in a fence or something. Come on.” He pulled her away this time and they continued on to the market.

But the image never left Mariana. That night she dreamt of it.

As she walked along the deserted street, the menacing Alley, she came across the man, close enough to touch. He was still breathing, his eyes staring blankly up at the golden clouds. A chain was wrapped around his wrist, silver but stained with the man’s blood. She looked up at the building, saw the round point of the sniper’s gun. In her dream, she could see the sniper clearly. He wore an expression of agony, as if he were in the worst pain imaginable. Around his wrist was curled another chain, but this one dug deeply into his skin, until the sniper’s own blood covered the silver metal. From that point, she woke. And for the rest of the day she pondered exactly what it could mean, with her determined eight-year-old mind.

At the end of the day, she arrived at a reasonable conclusion. She did not tell Kamil, thinking he would be worried about her, but she told Georgios instead. He understood her and he would not tell any of the others. After Catalina and Kamil had told them all to go to sleep, she crept towards Georgios and whispered her theory to him as the soft, black night drifted around them. The theory was this: that every person in the whole wide world is connected by a silver chain. If somebody dies, their chain is cut, but the person that killed them is hurt by their own chain. Georgios nodded and said that it was a good idea. Then he kissed the top of her head like her older brother used to do and told her to go to bed.

Over the next few days, it was very difficult for her to forget about her theory. It was everywhere around her, it seemed. If she heard about a person killed by a shell, she would think about the owner of that shell and how his invisible chain would be cutting into him. What if his shell had killed more than one person? Would it cut deeper then? She thought she could hear the chains clanking underneath the soldiers’ uniforms, but when she asked Georgios if he could hear them, he said he couldn’t. Maybe it was only her, she thought, because she had discovered them. Nobody else could see them, but the soldiers could still feel them cutting into them.

She thought about asking Johan about the chains. He always boasted after Esfir died about how he had shot the sniper who had killed her. None of the other children, not even Catalina and Kamil, even knew that she had been shot by a sniper. It had all been a big mystery. But Johan told them he had solved it. He had avenged Esfir’s death and killed someone with his gun, like a real soldier. “See,” he would tell them, “I don’t even need to join the army. They would take me now, if they saw what I could do.” Mariana thought he was being silly. Nobody could join the army when they were twelve. But Johan always seemed so happy – not sad, like the sniper in her dream had been. His jumper was too short for him, so Mariana could look at his wrists. There were never any chains, or any red marks or scars that they could have produced. Perhaps, she thought, Johan never killed that sniper after all.

Sometimes, she thought of telling the others about the chains, but she knew they would laugh. Georgios never laughed, only smiled and nodded as she told him. As a group of soldiers walked past the shelter one day, Georgios helped Mariana try to spot the chains on their hands. When they couldn’t see any, he suggested that maybe they were a new unit of soldiers who hadn’t killed anybody yet. That made Mariana feel better. Georgios always believed her.

When it was nearing winter, Georgios became sick. A cough grew in his chest and exploded with each breath. When Mariana sat curled in his lap, she could hear each wheezing breath, as if he was struggling to breathe. That was why, when his turn came to fetch water from the stream under the brewery, he could not do it alone.

They went in the afternoon. Georgios had rested all morning, but still he breathed heavily as they walked. Mariana kept close to his side the whole way, chattering quietly about how many lollies she would buy with the coins she found in the gutter. They neared the brewery, heading through the quiet, dead street. There once were houses here, but most of them had been blown away. Still, half a house remained next to the brewery, the wallpaper singed dark, a couch vomiting stuffing in the front room. Mariana shuffled carefully past, eyeing the burnt child’s crib, the wood leafing off in matchsticks.

They reached the brewery and skidded down the steep path behind it, soil and stones stubbing their bare toes. The stream was cool against their feet, the water filled their buckets easily and Mariana drank deeply, cupping the brown water in her hands and sloshing it over her face. They took the buckets back up the slope and slowly, awkwardly, dragging the weight of the buckets, they walked home.

Night fell before they were halfway there. The darkness closed around them. The city, once full of lights, was now dark and empty. Footsteps clattered on the quiet streets, a dog barked and shouting could be heard in the distance. Mariana’s hand grasped Georgios’ tightly. The city was never this quiet. The bombs would start soon.

And they did.

A yellow glow bloomed in the distance – the first shell of the night. Sirens blared far away and people shouted. Mariana’s pace quickened and Georgios started to puff sickly. The shelter wasn’t too far away, she thought, but in the charcoal night she could hardly see in front of her. Bullets sounded near them and she jumped up, her breath rasping in her throat. Quietly, she urged Georgios to hurry. The bullets neared closer and their shots reminded Mariana of the bright crackers of Christmas day. A spark of yellow lit up the corner of the building. The bullets were close, trying to find them. The Danger had its eye on them. They broke into a run, leaving the buckets behind them. A bullet found them and water sprayed everywhere. Urgency pumped through her veins instead of blood. Her legs weren’t fast enough to carry her.

In a moment of sheer self-preservation, she broke away from Georgios. Her hand felt cold and bare after clinging to his for so long. The bullets continued and there was a small cry and a soft thud. She turned quickly, her fear momentarily forgotten. Georgios was kneeling now, his eyes sad but… a small smile adorned his face. He opened his hand slowly and she saw the silver chain glint softly in the moonlight. The end was shorn off, it dangled from his wrist. He let it drop as he fell sideways, a tiny stream of blood appearing at the corner of his mouth.

Mariana ran the rest of the way home. Catalina wiped at her tears and kept her safe in her embrace. Kamil gently patted her on the head. She couldn’t tell them what had happened. The pain had dug a deep cavity inside her chest and with each breath it stung like an old wound. She felt as if the chain, the one connecting herself and Georgios, was digging deeper and deeper into her skin, around her chest, around her throat. She wondered if that one sniper was feeling the same sort of pain.

As she grew she remembered the chain around Georgios’ wrist. He must have stolen a chain from somewhere, wrapped it around his wrist to show her that her theory was real. Why had he done that, why hadn’t he just told her the truth? She began to realise. Georgios, eleven years old, had understood when she hadn’t the preciousness of that eight-year-old philosophy.
If writers wrote as carelessly as some people talk, then adhasdh asdglaseuyt[bn[pasdlgkhasdfasdf.
- Lemony Snicket

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:20 am
Twit says...

O hai. :mrgreen:

It was something she saw on the streets near Sniper Alley, coupled with a dream she had that night, which led to the development of Mariana’s philosophy.

As a first sentence, I think this needs a little work. You’ve got all the elements of a good first sentence—character name and already a little development, a place name, hints of change in her life—but they’re organised a little choppily. It might not be passive voice, but it reads weirdly like passive voice does, like you’re coming at it from behind instead of in front, and the bit about the dream is very much “in the middle”, which makes the sentence sag.

In the yellow light of early morning, the streets had seemed to shine.

The bolded part runs awkwardly. Take out “had” and I think it’ll go better.

Is this the dream or the thing near Sniper Alley? *after reading the whole thing* Okay, it’s the thing near Sniper Alley. I was confused there for a minute because you’ve introduced the dream and the thing, which gives me expectations, and I think maybe you should change the first sentence so it doesn’t give me those expectations. I mean, you say later on that she has a dream, so I don’t need to be told that first off.

It was a swift cracking noise, like the firecrackers her neighbours used to have on Christmas day, or it would be the heavy whine of a shell, the painful burst of noise as it landed.

This doesn’t flow as well as it could because it’s you’ve changed tenses from “it was” to “it would be”. Stick with “it was” as it gives a more immediate feel.

“Wait, wait!” she pulled away from him, “What if he’s not dead? What if we can help him?”

Before, Mariana’s seemed very childlike and innocent in all of this, thinking about ghosts and firecrackers, and now she’s suddenly okay with there being a dead guy in the alley.

And for the rest of the day she pondered exactly what it could mean, with her determined eight-year-old mind.

Eegh. Yucky telling. If you take out the bolded bit it’s much less obvious and flows better.

Night fell before they were halfway there. The darkness closed around them. The city, once full of lights, was now dark and empty. Footsteps clattered on the quiet streets, a dog barked and shouting could be heard in the distance. Mariana’s hand grasped Georgios’ tightly. The city was never this quiet. The bombs would start soon.

Kinda nitpicky here, but a lot of your sentences in this paragraph are the same length, and it makes the flow rather ragged. I like that the last few sentences are short, because the ragged is good, like tension, but the effect would work better if the rest of the sentences were longer; that was way you get more of a contrast.

She began to realise. Georgios, eleven years old, had understood when she hadn’t the preciousness of that eight-year-old philosophy.

Great twist.

---

I enjoyed this a lot; it was thoughtful and very well written, which is why I could afford to be nitpicky on things like sentence length. ^_^ Your characters were well-drawn, and I love how you managed to show the setting and Mariana’s character without resorting to telling. The twist ending is really, really good and changes the whole story from good to great. I do think you should change the title, though. It’s not very subtle, and it was the summary, rather than the title, that made me read this.

Keep writing!

-twit
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:01 am
View Likes
jaymee says...

Ellen wrote:Kamil was the tallest person she knew, even though he was only thirteen, the second-oldest person in the shelter.

I find this sentence a bit contradicting - if Kamil is the second oldest in the shelter, then why say he is 'only' thirteen?

Ellen wrote:If they didn’t get there early enough, all the good food would be gone

What is the good food? You don't need a long description, just something short and catchy, such as 'fresh fruit.'

Ellen wrote:The houses had started to look more like skeletons now and Mariana huddled close to Kamil. She remembered what Johan had said about ghosts – that they hid behind the rubble and grabbed you as soon as they thought you were alone.

You've built your characters nicely, I particularly like this bit because it shows that Mariana is just eight years old, and would believe anything an older person tells her.

Ellen wrote:She thought about asking Johan about the chains. He always boasted after Esfir died about how he had shot the sniper who had killed her.

Again, great character building. I like how Johan tells Mariana stories about ghosts AND boasts about killing somebody for revenge.

The bullets neared closer and their shots reminded Mariana of the bright crackers of Christmas day.

I love the comparison to christmas crackers, however, the first part of the sentence isn't really working for me. What do you mean by 'the bullets neared closer?' Just a little work and this sentence would be perfect.

The pain had dug a deep cavity inside her chest and with each breath it stung like an old wound. She felt as if the chain, the one connecting herself and Georgios, was digging deeper and deeper into her skin, around her chest, around her throat. She wondered if that one sniper was feeling the same sort of pain.

I love this paragraph, and the twist at the end. Overall it is a brilliant story; I love how it ends with a twist, yet there are still so many unanswered questions. Like what happened to the city? Why are all the people at the shelter so young? What happened to their families? But these questions don't need to be answered, because they would ruin the essence of the story. Great work :)

P.S. this is only my first review, so I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to write, but I hope it helps.
"Authors are people who never grow out of having imaginary friends"

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:15 pm
LittlePrincess says...

Hey there! Little Princess here for a review!

but Kamil had told her to be silent with that adult sense of urgency that she didn’t quite understand.
That's a good description from the eyes of a child. In fact, throughout the story you do a wonderful job of creating the character as she sees thing through her 8 year old mind.

The theory was this: that every person in the whole wide world is connected by a silver chain. If somebody dies, their chain is cut, but the person that killed them is hurt by their own chain.
I love this, brilliant!

I don't really have much to say in the way of criticism. Overall, it was a cute story, I liked the perspective and the use of chains. The only thing I didn't like so much was the last line,
Georgios, eleven years old, had understood when she hadn’t the preciousness of that eight-year-old philosophy.
I just feel that it could have a little more to it, like why is it important? Obviously, you don't need to say explicitly the point of the philosiphy, but give a little more background into the time period and the setting in which they were growing up. Explicate why it is important to hold on to innocence. Other than that I thought it was great. Keep up the good work!
"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes."
The Little Prince

Reviews: 2
Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:21 am
Ellen says...

Just for those interested to know, this story is set in Sarajevo during the siege, which lasted from 1992-96. It's really recent and I don't think that many people remember it happening! Anyway, there were a few groups of children who were orphans and just wandered about the streets the way these characters do. I made up full backgrounds for them and, yes, most of them are orphans. During the siege, there were snipers on the hills who were aiming at the city, I'm pretty sure it was part of an ethnic-cleansing type plan. It was horrible, either way. Over 2,000 children were killed in total over the four years. A few of the characters here make it out in the end including Mariana and Kamil. Johan and Catalina are both killed later on.

Also, I wrote this story specifically for the Sydney Morning Herald Young Writer of the Year competition, for which the trigger word was chain.

Thank you everyone for the reviews!
If writers wrote as carelessly as some people talk, then adhasdh asdglaseuyt[bn[pasdlgkhasdfasdf.
- Lemony Snicket

The last of the human freedoms is to choose one's attitudes.
— Viktor Frankl