z

Young Writers Society

Evaluation of Integrals

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:51 pm
Dream Deep says...

*wherever the variables a or b are mentioned, they refer to the integral existance theorem, where 'If f is continuous on [a,b], then f is integrable on [a,b]'.

*dark blue text represents the equation, dark red represents notes in the midst.

Another issue - this one halfway through Chapter 5 (The Integral).

(where b=1 and a=0) (3x^2 + 2√x + 3[cube root]x) dx

Okay, so it looks pretty simple. I mean, it's only one line. But I quickly managed to get tangled up and lost. I tried using the antiderivative form of the generalized power rule, but that left me a royal mess.

... the answer key informs me that the answer is 55/12.

Ideas? Help? *looks pointedly at Snoink and Incan who havn't been in TNS...* ^_~

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:26 pm
View Likes
Incandescence says...

Dream Deep--

Break your integral up. For instance, that first term after integration pretty obviously becomes x^3, which evaluated from 1 to 0 is going to be (1)^3-(0)^3=1. The other two simply require you to change your roots into exponents and solve from there.

Best,
Brad
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:30 pm
Dream Deep says...

Ah, thanks Brad. Ill do that. It should work this time - if not I'll give you a holler. ^_~

Much appreciate it.

"The trouble with Borrowing another mind was, you always felt out of place when you got back to your own body, and Granny was the first person ever to read the mind of a building. Now she was feeling big and gritty and full of passages. 'Are you all right?' Granny nodded, and opened her windows. She extended her east and west wings and tried to concentrate on the tiny cup held in her pillars."
— Terry Pratchett, Discworld: Equal Rites