z

Young Writers Society

"I am ..." poetry - help!

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:59 pm
Meep says...

So, I'm supposed to be writing an "I am ..." poem for school, using this as a guideline. The example (at the bottom) is not, in my opinion, particularly great poetry, so I was wondering: do you have any examples of "I am ..." poems - your own or by others - that I can look at for a little more, er, artistic inspiration?

Also, feel free to complain about creative writing assignments in non-creative writing classes. (Am I the only one who can't stand those?)
Last edited by Meep on Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:51 am
Cade says...

Write an "I am annoyed with creative writing assignments in non-creative writing classes" poem. You may not get the best grade, unless your teacher has a sense of humor, but you'll get your point across!

I do sympathize. Last year we did one in English and read our poems aloud...and most of them were boring and straightforward, while mine, though boring, had not taken the topic as literally as the rest of the class had. The teacher liked it, but the rest of the class just looked at me like I'd sprouted antlers.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

210 Reviews

Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:20 pm
Meep says...

If we didn't have to read out loud - I hate reading my work aloud, especially in a class other than a writing based one - I'd be more likely to hand in what I have written, which involves some creative use of line breaks and indents.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:56 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

Ooo, "I am..." poems.

Italy by Giuseppe Ungaretti

I Am 25 by Gregory Corso

I am vertical by Sylvia Plath

Some poems that I remembered off the top of my head. Hope they help.

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

210 Reviews

Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:43 am
Meep says...

Thank you, Cal. I liked "Italy" best, but I've got to start every line with "I am ..." Not terribly poetic, in my opinion, but what'm I gonna do?

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:47 am
Cade says...

Well, there's always the "I am from" poem. You could try that. It would still fit the assignment, no?
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:55 pm
PenguinAttack says...

Does it have to make sense? - I did read the link, and the poem at the bottom >.< it really wasn't good was it? But yeah, heh, I figure it does give an indication of how much... sophistication that needs to be placed in the poem. Starting each line with "I am" is a hard limitation... I am going to hope this helps... It probably will not, as it is 4:38am and I am making this up on the spot so it will most probably be terrible but...

I Am

I am life, full and wonderous.
I am age, more each year.
I am female, born free.
I am family, created and loved.
I am passion awoken, phoenix in flight.
I am ink on a page, sterile creativity.
I am slowly closing, a mind for one.
I am open books, constant revision.
I am aware, intelligence abounds.
I am new, blind to truth.
I am old, wisdom in spades.
I am human, chaos personified.
I am life, full and wonderous.

Annnd. Thats who I am... I think :oops: hehehe. I do hope this helps, in some vague, odd way. Once again, 4:47 (it took 9 minutes! lol) so it's not brill.

Good Luck.

*hearts* Le Penguin. Wench Capt'n.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

When your heart gets pierced with arrows, don't rip them out and pierce those around you in retribution for your hurt. You'll only unnecessarily wound others and bleed to death yourself.
— LadyMysterio