z

Young Writers Society

primary sources from 18th century America

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:10 pm
Emerson says...

I have to do this project for my APUSH class, called a Document Based Question (or DBQ). But instead of answering one, we're making our own DBQ. mine is about the colonists reactions to the taxes that were being places on goods. I need news articles, speeches, documents, anything that is a primary source from the time period that could be used to draw a conclusion about the question. I thought I had a good list of docs, but then went back through and found that a few of them don't work for me. I've already done looking on my own, but I'm sure others around here have lots of good searching skills, so any help would be greatly appreciated. :D
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:28 pm
View Likes
elephantwalrus says...

Ugg, DBQs are so annoying...

We just finished studying the colonies in our history class...if your school has access to any databases, those are always very helpful.

I'd suggest looking up articles Thomas Paine and John Dickenson. You might find the latter's "Letters from a Farmer" helpful. William Pitt also did a speech on the Stamp Act. You might also try looking at the Declaration of Resolves of the First Continental Congress, or the Virginia Stamp Act Resolutions by Patrick Henry.

I'll keep looking...sorry if I was of no help at all!
My main project until Script Frenzy is an experiment using blog posts between four characters as episodes of a common story. You can read this work as it progresses at http://knowallchronicles.blogspot.com/.

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.
— Captain Jack Sparrow