Young Writers Society

Exam Writing.

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:04 pm
View Likes
PenguinAttack says...

The kid I tutor is having some trouble with his essay writing in exams.

*I* am having trouble finding the info I need on how to write faster during exams.

I know you can just practice like crazy, writing essays over and over until your speed picks up - and it does work.
My problem is that he's an impatient sixteen year old. ^^ He doesn't want to be sitting around practicing during his holidays.

So, I was wondering if anyone had some tips on how to increase writing speed any other ways? Preferably quick and fun ideas?

Hehe I know it sounds terrible... But I'm an awful tutor. ^^

Thanks in advance.

*Hearts* Le Penguin.
Last edited by PenguinAttack on Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:09 pm
View Likes
Via says...

The fastest way I know is to do a really quick outline. Disect the points you need to cover and put them in order and then just write it. I think that always works for me....I think...lol.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

896 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:18 pm
View Likes
PenguinAttack says...

Hrmm, yeah, we've talked about outlines, and I just got a stack of stuff off the net about it for him to look at.

Thanks Via. ^^ It's a workable idea.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:29 pm
View Likes
Leja says...

Any outlining, actually, is helpful. I like webs better. For instance, I'll write the topic in a big circle in the middle of the page, then draw smaller circles around it for paragraphs, and add facts around those for what I want to cover in those paragraphs. That way, you don't have to spend time while you're actually writing wondering what you're going to say.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:25 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Get him a journal and have him write in it for 20 minutes of whatever he wants. That might get him to at least use a pencil faster.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

896 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:13 pm
View Likes
PenguinAttack says...

Thank you all for all the suggestions, they're all helpful.

As I got him to actually *talk* in our last session I think this is going to go better than I had previously decided.

Thanks again. :D

- he liked the outline idea for exams. He's also thinking about the journal - I'm not forcing him. :D

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:19 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Tell him to use a fountain pen! Seriously! I know I hate writing in biro. Blue fountain pen. Perker Reflex is my preference.

Also, if he's stuck for ideas, tell him to write the truth. That doesn't require much planning, just a few scribbles. Especially if he has anything insane going on in his life.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done.
— Steven Wright